Jets | Cowart Leaves Dead Money against Cap

Smizzy

Jets | Cowart Leaves Dead Money against Cap - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:58:17 -0800

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets will carry $2.4 million in "dead money" against their 2005 salary cap as a result of trading MLB Sam Cowart.

THIS IS OLD NEW REPORT IN SAM COWARD TRADE TO VIKING TOPIC POST #-o

Jets | Cowart Leaves Dead Money against Cap - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:58:17 -0800

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets will carry $2.4 million in "dead money" against their 2005 salary cap as a result of trading MLB Sam Cowart.

would the hit have been teh same if we cut him, if so then why the hell trade him, i thought this move feed up space I'd rather have the body than the pick and a 7th rounder :shock:

would the hit have been teh same if we cut him, if so then why the hell trade him, i thought this move feed up space I'd rather have the body than the pick and a 7th rounder :shock:

The dead money would be exactly the same whether he was cut or traded.

I believe his cap hit this year was due to be $2.9m, so we only saved $500k with this move. However, we no longer have to worry about his upcoming roster bonus payment or his inflated salaries in 2006 and 2007.

You are right that it would have made sense to keep him for the extra $500k, but as I stated in another thread I wouldn't be surprised if Cowart has been threatening to hold out if he wasn't cut or traded. In the interests of the happiness of the team, I believe the Jets had no choice but to move him.

The dead money would be exactly the same whether he was cut or traded.

I believe his cap hit this year was due to be $2.9m, so we only saved $500k with this move. However, we no longer have to worry about his upcoming roster bonus payment or his inflated salaries in 2006 and 2007.

You are right that it would have made sense to keep him for the extra $500k, but as I stated in another thread I wouldn't be surprised if Cowart has been threatening to hold out if he wasn't cut or traded. In the interests of the happiness of the team, I believe the Jets had no choice but to move him.

Rob...agreed. Who knows what the agents were pushing for.

At any rate he wasn't in the plans so it was best for all parties to just move on.

Rob...agreed. Who knows what the agents were pushing for.

At any rate he wasn't in the plans so it was best for all parties to just move on.
yeah, cowart deserved a chance to start. he's played the good soldier all last season. i can't think of any b*tchin' & moanin" from him, or his agents either. class guy.

If we'd waited to cut him after June 1st, would there have been as large of a cap hit?

I'd hate to think we wasted a million dollars to draft a special teams player that might make the practice squad.

I'm not sure of the exact date his roster bonus was due. If it was on June 1st then he would have counted $1.4m against this year's cap and $1.6m next year, since we couldn't have traded him before paying the bonus.

I think having a cap charge of $2.4m this year is worth it to give us more room next year.

Don't forget that Barry Gardner has already been signed to replace Cowart.

Archived