Report: Jets Poised to Make run at Rams Lineman Saffold

JetNation

Saffold.jpg

Looking to upgrade their offensive line, the Jets figure to be in the market for any and all quality offensive linemen in free agency.  Rodger Saffold of the LA Rams is expected to hit free agency and Steve Wyche of the NFL network is reporting that the Jets will show early interest.

NFL Network’s @wyche89 mentions the #Jets as a team he’s heard ready to jump on OL Rodger Saffold. pic.twitter.com/dT0C1qjh89

— uSTADIUM (@uSTADIUM) February 28, 2019

Wyche claims he’s hearing that the Jets will be “ready to jump” when Saffold hits free agency which should come as a surprise to absolutely no one.  Saffold is one of the top interior linemen in the NFL and graded out as PFF’s 9th ranked guard last season.

At 32 years old, he wouldn't be a long-term solution, but as a 2-3 year starter who can step in while the Jets groom a draft pick or two, he’d make perfect sense.

The post Report: Jets Poised to Make run at Rams Lineman Saffold appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

_rp9kU2ZUAk

Click here to read the full story...

12 hours ago, JetNation said:

Saffold.jpg

Looking to upgrade their offensive line, the Jets figure to be in the market for any and all quality offensive linemen in free agency.  Rodger Saffold of the LA Rams is expected to hit free agency and Steve Wyche of the NFL network is reporting that the Jets will show early interest.

NFL Network’s @wyche89 mentions the #Jets as a team he’s heard ready to jump on OL Rodger Saffold. pic.twitter.com/dT0C1qjh89

— uSTADIUM (@uSTADIUM) February 28, 2019

Wyche claims he’s hearing that the Jets will be “ready to jump” when Saffold hits free agency which should come as a surprise to absolutely no one.  Saffold is one of the top interior linemen in the NFL and graded out as PFF’s 9th ranked guard last season.

At 32 years old, he wouldn't be a long-term solution, but as a 2-3 year starter who can step in while the Jets groom a draft pick or two, he’d make perfect sense.

The post Report: Jets Poised to Make run at Rams Lineman Saffold appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

_rp9kU2ZUAk

Click here to read the full story...

I like this move just as much as I did in the other thread about Saffold. ;-) 

4 hours ago, JetNation said:

Saffold.jpg

At 32 years old, Wyche won’t be a long-term solution, but as a 2-3 year starter who can step in while the Jets groom a draft pick or two, he’d make perfect sense.

My OCD is killing me haha I am 100% on the Saffold train. He's older but I have no problem with getting hit for a year or two while we groom a draft pick.

35 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I'm all for this as long as the Jets have a plan for C. I don't want Saffold if it means we end up plugging in a JAG at C. 

I'd take Saffold and no FA center if we resign J. Harrison and draft a solid center high like 2nd or 3rd round (if we trade down and recoup a 2nd rounder), if it means we gain in other areas like another OL, WR, RB (like Bell) etc. We have to keep in mind that the sky is the limit with paying players and even 100M can dry up quick if we pay 20+M between Saffold and a C like Morse or Paridis(sp?). Too many FA OL and we won't have enough FA $ to address other positions. We also have to do well enough in the draft to man some of these positions which saves $ as well since rookie contracts are much less than FA contracts.

22 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

I'd take Saffold and no FA center if we resign J. Harrison and draft a solid center high like 2nd or 3rd round (if we trade down and recoup a 2nd rounder), if it means we gain in other areas like another OL, WR, RB (like Bell) etc. We have to keep in mind that the sky is the limit with paying players and even 100M can dry up quick if we pay 20+M between Saffold and a C like Morse or Paridis(sp?). Too many FA OL and we won't have enough FA $ to address other positions. We also have to do well enough in the draft to man some of these positions which saves $ as well since rookie contracts are much less than FA contracts.

These are the positions on which they need to spend, though. You could equally make the argument that spending on another corner will make the cap room dry up so they then couldn't pay FA OLmen.

They should be looking at a minimum of 3 OLmen additions this year, and 2 of them should be serious additions from FA (not another Long who we pay $7MM for 1 year and the next team gets him for about half that per year). It'd be better if they also drafted 2 OLmen, but if they go 2/1 it'll go a long way in the right direction.

Saffold, Paradis, and draft a LT prospect who plays there immediately as a rookie, or on the right side for Beachum's final season. It's still not a top 5 group or anything, but it's a huge improvement. We could do a lot worse (and have done a lot worse) than Beachum-Saffold-Paradis-Winters-Rookie. Plus who knows, someone might even be willing to part with a pick for Shell (or Beachum if a rookie looks good right away). The key will be not resting on these 2 somewhat-older FA pickups as though the expectation is for them to play until they're 40. 

Throwing temporary ~$10MM/yr each money around Darnold isn't a waste. 

7 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

He'll be good to go for the start of OTA's.  The injury was not as serious as first feared and he is well into his rehab.  It won't be an issue for the upcoming season.

J.Williams- Saffold-Paradis-Winters-Shell

Beachum as a backup swing tackle. 

10 hours ago, Jetster said:

Ultimate offseason?

Saffold & Paradis

trade back & draft Jonah Williams

Draft 3rd round stud OG

4 moves....fix Oline....Sam soars.

Do you really think Williams would be a difference maker, compared to a Josh Allen or Nick Bosa. If not, you draft the pass rusher. I don't think Williams as a rookie will be any better, or that much better than Beachum.

18 hours ago, PepPep said:

I'm all for this as long as the Jets have a plan for C. I don't want Saffold if it means we end up plugging in a JAG at C. 

I agree 100% with you. They can't half ass rebuilding the line with some below average Center. 

12 minutes ago, genot said:

Do you really think Williams would be a difference maker, compared to a Josh Allen or Nick Bosa. If not, you draft the pass rusher. I don't think Williams as a rookie will be any better, or that much better than Beachum.

Everything I post regarding anything other than best defensive player available has us TRADING BACK. If we're stuck at 3, I want the BPA even if its defense. If Bosa falls to us? No brainer, Nicks a Jet.

Just now, Jetster said:

Everything I post regarding anything other than best defensive player available has us TRADING BACK. If we're stuck at 3, I want the BPA even if its defense. If Bosa falls to us? No brainer, Nicks a Jet.

I thought that's the direction your brain was going in. What about Sweat, Ferrill, Gary. Would you be pissed if we traded down and drafted one of them?????We need to solve this pass rush issue, once and for all. It's been years since we've had a stud, rushing the passer.

4 hours ago, genot said:

I thought that's the direction your brain was going in. What about Sweat, Ferrill, Gary. Would you be pissed if we traded down and drafted one of them?????We need to solve this pass rush issue, once and for all. It's been years since we've had a stud, rushing the passer.

I'm hoping we solve it in free agency, but, who knows who will get resigned? A trade for Houston & signing Flowers would be cool too. Trade for Houston, sign Trey Flowers, sign Saffold + Paradis, trade a late pick (5) for Agholor or Sanu. If we went into the draft after those moves I would be pumped up for the season to start. In fact, I'd be dreaming of a Wildcard spot.

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I'm hoping we solve it in free agency, but, who knows who will get resigned? A trade for Houston & signing Flowers would be cool too. Trade for Houston, sign Trey Flowers, sign Saffold + Paradis, trade a late pick (5) for Agholor or Sanu. If we went into the draft after those moves I would be pumped up for the season to start. In fact, I'd be dreaming of a Wildcard spot.

Wow. We're on the same page. Houston is the only player who would have a real impact on our pass rush, that isn't in this year's draft. Fowler. No. The other names mentioned aren't much better than Copeland.

Archived