Jack Azz Mike named worst GM in the business

hmhertz

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Considering Macc's team is picking top 6 for the 3rd consecutive year, has never made the playoffs, has drafted the least current NFL players of any franchise over his tenure, and has almost entirely washed out in free agency, it's hard to comprehend a cogent argument that he's not in the bottom 5, if not worst GM in football.

^^Someone please tattoo this backwards on Pac's forehead.

32 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Maccagnan definitely does have a horseshoe up his ass:

1.  He's lucky Kirk Cousins didn't accept his ridiculous $30 million-per-year contract. Imagine what we would be saying about Macc and the Jets today if that had happened and the Jets were stuck with Cousins for two more years.

2. He's lucky the Giants didn't select Darnold. Can you imagine what we would be saying about Macc and the Jets today for  giving away three second-round picks for Josh Rosen?

You can say he's lucky...but I can also argue that Macc was smart enough to know that when he made the trade, he knew the Browns were going QB and the Giants were set on taking Barkley.  So either Darnold or Mayfield were going to fall to us.

There was a pretty big consensus very early on, in the off season last year, that if the Browns didn't take Barkley, the Giants were going to grab him.

29 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I get that, but if we're going to rip Macc for falling ass backwards into Sam and spending money on FAs in 2015, his only successful year, then everyone else is fair game, IMO.  Maccagnan, for all his flaws, has done a "better" job than Elway when you take away convincing Manning to join a team he didn't even build in order to attract other FAs for a big run.  That Super Bowl is all Kubiak and Peyton.  Kubiak coached like a master, hired Wade Phillips, and Peyton attracted every FA unde the sun.  There was little done by Elway.

I don't even think Macc is worse than Tannenbaum.  I think the coaching has been a bigger problem.  That doesn't absolve him at all, but if Gase, Williams, and co. make this work, the opinion on Maccagnan will change drastically, just as the opinion on Elway remains that he is great in the eyes of the public.

I disagree about Elway and Mac only because winning a Super Bowl is nothing to sneeze at. Darnold was a great pick but involved luck as well. I can’t value that as equally important as a 2 Super Bowl appearances and 1 ring and putting together a roster to achieve that goal. He has been straight trash ever since. 

I also disagree about Tannenbaum. While T wasn’t good, he had many more successes relative to failures or a better hit ratio as I’ve been using as a gauge. There were many bad Tannenbaum moves but more than enough good to put him ahead of Mac. 

27 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Actually no team is perfect and there's lots of differences. Some have a great linebacking and some have great wide receivers some have great offensive or defensive lines. They all have good and bad coaches make good and bad draft picks and they  all over pay free agents. My point was acting like our team sucks because we're dealing with the same crap as every other team is ridiculous. It's not easy to run an NFL franchise

The issue is that our team has great nothing and we deal with more bad draft picks and bad free agent signings than other teams.  Which, incidentally is why we lose more than most teams.

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Maccagnan definitely does have a horseshoe up his ass:

1.  He's lucky Kirk Cousins didn't accept his ridiculous $30 million-per-year contract. Imagine what we would be saying about Macc and the Jets today if that had happened and the Jets were stuck with Cousins for two more years.

2. He's lucky the Giants didn't select Darnold. Can you imagine what we would be saying about Macc and the Jets today for  giving away three second-round picks for Josh Rosen?

That seems to be less luck considering the reports that the Giants loved Barkley all off season. 

20 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The issue is that our team has great nothing and we deal with more bad draft picks and bad free agent signings than other teams.  Which, incidentally is why we lose more than most teams.

I think if you want to name the worst GMs, the records of a GM with four or more years experience would be a good place to start.  

Maybe you look at the last 2 years of someone with at least four years experience, or last 3 of 5.

In other words, I don't think today Mac gets credit for his first year.   He did deserve credit after his first year for his first year.  He blew it since, even on his first draft class.  

31 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I'm sorry dude but I liked a lot of the moves that our GM made I think the coach had more to do with our losing record. That being said I am in no way stating that all of his moves were great or that he's a great GM. Yes Hackenberg sucked and that's a big black eye, Devin Smith got injured we can never know what he might have been. Darrelle Revis and mo Wilkerson packed it in how the hell is that the GM's fault? I think he's found some decent draft picks and some that are not so good and he's made some really good free agent signings with really good contracts and a few bombs. But he is certainly not the bumbling idiot that some posters on here make him out to be

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Every single person in the news media would love to have nothing but quotes from people with their names on it. That’s not how it works in any form. The biggest news of the day is almost always broken with sources or people with knowledge of the subject. That’s the way it’s always been done. I don’t have a problem with you not liking it but complaining about it seems hollow. It’s like complaining about water being wet. That’s just the way it is. 

I mean it's pretty annoying that the bridge is wet.

9 hours ago, varjet said:

I think if you want to name the worst GMs, the records of a GM with four or more years experience would be a good place to start.  

Maybe you look at the last 2 years of someone with at least four years experience, or last 3 of 5.

In other words, I don't think today Mac gets credit for his first year.   He did deserve credit after his first year for his first year.  He blew it since, even on his first draft class.  

He deserves blame, not credit, for his first year.

It takes no special skill to blow through cap room to sign Harris, Revis, Cromartie, Skrine, Carpenter; make no effort to build a pipeline to take over for Brick, Mangold, Giacomini; when targeting edge rusher in round 3 draft Mauldin over Hunter; and accept a 5th round pick offer for Brandon Marshall because the Bears wanted to ensure one of the top 2 WR prospects would be there for them at pick #7.

How many of those moves really panned out? Marshall & Fitz for 1 year? Carpenter for 2 years before sucking the next 2 years (while still retaining his job from 2017-18 with no other serious options on the roster)? The rest of his moves and non-moves more than offset that with bad. But hey, the team won 10 games when they got schedule-lucky, and he spent a lot of money on players whose names make the news, so therefore it's good.

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

He's lucky the Giants didn't select Darnold. Can you imagine what we would be saying about Macc and the Jets today for  giving away three second-round picks for Josh Rosen? 

You mean when all the predraft talk was Darnold 1, Rosen 2nd?

Question was Baker or Allen to the Jets?

How does any list of bad GMs not include, start with, Jerry Jones?  He's been GM for 20 or more years, made the playoffs fewer times than the Jets and won 2 playoff games?

Is he didn't own the team he would have been fired years ago

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He deserves blame, not credit, for his first year.

I was trying to be fair and charitable to him.

But the moves you cite led directly to the last three years of terrible.  

Mac won an award for taking a 4-12 team to 10-6 that should have been 11-5 or better but for the coaching.  He found some good reclamation projects.  But the speed of decline of several players and bad drafting led to a complete reversal/collapse.  

He is getting a last chance to show that he has figured out this GM thing.  I am not optimistic he is employed in a year.  

I will add one more thing-given the cap space and draft picks, we should at least feel that the roster after the draft looks credible.  

If it is still full of gaping "who the heck can possible start there" holes, that will not bode well for him.  

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How does any list of bad GMs not include, start with, Jerry Jones?  He's been GM for 20 or more years, made the playoffs fewer times than the Jets and won 2 playoff games?

Is he didn't own the team he would have been fired years ago

Very true but is he being considered the GM in this scenario? I think his son is being considered the current/recent GM and they’ve done well with him. Jerrah was pretty crazy though. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Every single person in the news media would love to have nothing but quotes from people with their names on it. That’s not how it works in any form. The biggest news of the day is almost always broken with sources or people with knowledge of the subject. That’s the way it’s always been done. I don’t have a problem with you not liking it but complaining about it seems hollow. It’s like complaining about water being wet. That’s just the way it is. 

Actually, the tweet that gave rise to this thread is the worst kind of journalism, i.e. letting someone take potshots at people behind a shield of anonymity. News organizations have historically tried to rely on anonymous sources to get vital information, but it's becoming more common  that nameless sources are just smearing other people, especially in sports journalism. This report had no substance to it -- nothing about why the "source" fingered these guys as the worst. He could have been speaking to John Idzik for all we know.

6 hours ago, chirorob said:

How is john lynch there?  He has been the GM for 2 years.  He found his QB for a 2nd rounder, and traded down with the bears for a nice haul of pics. 

That list is dumb

Good post. Totally agree. This is a meaningless thread.

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I don't even think Macc is worse than Tannenbaum.  I think the coaching has been a bigger problem.  That doesn't absolve him at all, but if Gase, Williams, and co. make this work, the opinion on Maccagnan will change drastically, just as the opinion on Elway remains that he is great in the eyes of the public.

Mac's decision to hire Gase is so much better than Tannebaum's decision to hire Gase!

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Really? A completely unproven QB coming from a place where no other qb behind Brady has ever done a thing? Add that he made said unproven commodity the highest paid player in the NFL after giving away a high 2nd rd pick for him?
Add again that his first season was a complete wash due to injury.

I’m not saying John Lynch is one way if there other just yet but the jimmy G deal is faaaaaaaaar from being a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If you were a 49ers fan and your options were "sign Jimmy G to that deal" vs "lose Jimmy G in free agency", which option would you have chosen?  Personally I would've taken the former and I wouldn't have regretted it even after Jimmy G's injury.  A QB is everything in football.  If you have a chance at a QB who can be "the guy" then I say you absolutely have to roll the dice. 

3 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Very true but is he being considered the GM in this scenario? I think his son is being considered the current/recent GM and they’ve done well with him. Jerrah was pretty crazy though. 

He sure has been the GM for years.  His son may now have the title but....

9 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

As far as I'm concerned, the judging of Macc starts this year, at least for me.

Say what you want about him, but he's the only guy running this team that, in my 40+ years on this earth, got us a legitimate franchise QB.  Sure it took him a while and there were some really bad misses, but he got Sam and I'm giving him a clean slate.

Doesn't mean I have a lot of faith in him right now, but let's see what we can do now without having to alter everything thing we do in the offseaon because we're looking for a QB.

Huh?  Macc has SUCKED his first four years here

Yes he has a chance to redeem himself but so far he’s been as bad as Idzik

4 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Actually, the tweet that gave rise to this thread is the worst kind of journalism, i.e. letting someone take potshots at people behind a shield of anonymity. News organizations have historically tried to rely on anonymous sources to get vital information, but it's becoming more common  that nameless sources are just smearing other people, especially in sports journalism. This report had no substance to it -- nothing about why the "source" fingered these guys as the worst. He could have been speaking to John Idzik for all we know.

I agree. In my original post I said that the tweet was a hot mess. 

4 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Mac's decision to hire Gase is so much better than Tannebaum's decision to hire Gase!

Lol, I almost forgot about the fact that he hired him in Miami.

Hey, I actually am a fan of Gase but we'll see.  I think firing him was a mistake and Tannenbaum deserved the blame down there, but again, we'll see.

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If you were a 49ers fan and your options were "sign Jimmy G to that deal" vs "lose Jimmy G in free agency", which option would you have chosen?  Personally I would've taken the former and I wouldn't have regretted it even after Jimmy G's injury.  A QB is everything in football.  If you have a chance at a QB who can be "the guy" then I say you absolutely have to roll the dice. 

I'm not sure actually. What I do know is that using that move to label the GM a good one is weak. Jimmy G is a totally unproven commodity. Reminds me of the Flynn Hype. The injury is what it is and no one can plan for that, but what has he done? Literally nothing. Highest paid player in the league?  Pretty dumb imo. 

14 hours ago, Drums said:

Lynch seems to make a lot of good moves but theyre still picking second. Agreed, that Jimmy trade looked great but how many games has he played for them? Guy’s made of glass. Samuel L. Jackson style. 

They are picking 2nd because they didn't have a QB. If they

Same thing happens next year then it will be an issue

14 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Really? A completely unproven QB coming from a place where no other qb behind Brady has ever done a thing? Add that he made said unproven commodity the highest paid player in the NFL after giving away a high 2nd rd pick for him?
Add again that his first season was a complete wash due to injury.

I’m not saying John Lynch is one way if there other just yet but the jimmy G deal is faaaaaaaaar from being a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

What I saw from Jimmy G last year before the injury was enough to justify the 2nd round pick. Unfortunately the injury happened this year, if he poops the bed over the next 2 years when healthy then it would be an issue for me. The chances of a 2nd round pick actually becoming a franchise QB is slim to none so I love the gamble.

4 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

What else do they do?

From what I can tell, and what "they" say, drink a lot of coffee.

4 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:
  15 hours ago, Butterfield said:

Like the quoted post says, there is more to being gm than people realize.  Its funny when people think the only thing they do is manage the roster.

Archived