Free Agency Rumors (Jets Related)

KRL

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

isn't he considered a RT as of now?

I didn’t get a chance to watch the lineman at the combine, but everything I heard was he was very impressive. Very very big, long arms, moved very well in drills. I’d have to see for myself though 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I didn’t get a chance to watch the lineman at the combine, but everything I heard was he was very impressive. Very very big, long arms, moved very well in drills. I’d have to see for myself though 

Don’t get me wrong, i am all for going OL in the first round.  I also think these DTs are overrated, not with respect to their ability and athleticism, but to their ability to impact a game.  A good OT like Taylor is worth more to many teams, particularly one with a poor OL and a young qb who needs all the help he can get.  

Since the jets are obviously not taking a qb they’re not going to be pumping up haskins.  But i think we’ll hear a lot of jet praise for Q and allen to entice a team to move up a few spots.  

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Barr would be an awesome get

And if they were to bring in Barr plus another guy to play the edge in FA, I think a guy like Metcalf becomes a big time possibility at #3.

I like Metcalf but not at 3. Nobody had him Top 5 until he took his shirt off at the combine. His rise up draft boards screams hype to me. JMHO. 

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I like Metcalf but not at 3. Nobody had him Top 5 until he took his shirt off at the combine. His rise up draft boards screams hype to me. JMHO. 

He’s definitely a huge risk. But I’d be willing to roll the dice if the Jets solidify the OL and passrush in FA.

If he pans out, we could have an absolutely freakish, legit #1 receiver paired with Darnold for the next decade.

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It is hype but I bet he is the first WR off the board at around 7-9 range

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

It is hype but I bet he is the first WR off the board at around 7-9 range

He might be. John Ross went 9 and Metcalf is a vastly better prospect. But the reality is that Metcalf wasn't a great college player, isn't a great route runner and his combine performance wasn't as great as the media made it out to be.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He might be. John Ross went 9 and Metcalf is a vastly better prospect. But the reality is that Metcalf wasn't a great college player, isn't a great route runner and his combine performance wasn't as great as the media made it out to be.

Agreed.  I think there is SO much risk with Metcalf that he's average or even worse.  Some of the very same people who utterly trash and bash the Gholston and Hill picks for getting sucked into combine numbers are now banging the drum for Metcalf.  I am flummoxed I tell you...flummoxed!  It's like Matt Millen took over people's brains.

If we can move down a little, I'm liking Jawaan Taylor or even Cody Ford depending on where and who's left.  Assuming we can fill in the missing pieces on defense in FA, then give me an OL rather than reach for a risky WR prospect.  

13 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He’s definitely a huge risk. But I’d be willing to roll the dice if the Jets solidify the OL and passrush in FA.

If he pans out, we could have an absolutely freakish, legit #1 receiver paired with Darnold for the next decade.

Believe me, I’m intrigued by the guy but I wouldn’t roll the dice on a “huge risk” at 3. History shows Macc won’t do that either. He takes safe picks and BPA in the Top 10.

Now, if they trade down...even just a few spots then I’m onboard with an offensive player whether it’s Metcalf, Taylor, J Williams, etc. I just don’t see any O player worth a Top 3 or even 5 pick in this Draft. 

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Believe me, I’m intrigued by the guy but I wouldn’t roll the dice on a “huge risk” at 3. History shows Macc won’t do that either. He takes safe picks and BPA in the Top 10.

Now, if they trade down...even just a few spots then I’m onboard with an offensive player whether it’s Metcalf, Taylor, J Williams, etc. I just don’t see any O player worth a Top 3 or even 5 pick in this Draft. 

A month ago he was outside the top 15.  It would be amazing to see a WR move that far up the board simply because of the combine.

"Unfortunately, there doesn’t appear to be an easy way for the team to currently acquire him. It’s unlikely that Metcalf goes in the top 15 picks, meaning that even if the Jets were to trade back, they likely still wouldn’t be in his range unless they were to trade back very far." - Justin Fried via thejetspress.com

https://thejetpress.com/2019/01/26/new-york-jets-2019-nfl-draft-profile-dk-metcalf/

As great as a prospect he is on paper, because of his lack of route running skills and consistent drops, he may not have the early impact that is expected of a 1st round WR.  His profile seems along the same lines as Mike Williams a couple of years back.  Maybe 2 - 3 years down the line he will help Darnold, but hopefully the Jets are looking at immediate impact guys in this draft.

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

It was my favorite session at the combine this year. Probably because I'm so honed in on that group but still. Quite a few looked solid athletically.

1 hour ago, morny said:

https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/1104147256482193409?s=19

Evan Silva linking us with Joyner as a slot CB, more through "joining the dots" than anything else.

Sorry, no idea how to embed a tweet.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/14/nfl-los-angeles-rams-lamarcus-joyner-position-safety-cornerback/

doubt it . He didn’t like being a nickle CB . 

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

You don't roll the dice at three.

2 minutes ago, tuffhand said:

You don't roll the dice at three.

Every draft pick in the NFL is rolling the dice, you just have better dice at 3 then at 33. QW would be the dumbest pick of all time for this team, for both football reasons and PR reasons and SAM DARNOLD reasons.

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Every draft pick in the NFL is rolling the dice, you just have better dice at 3 then at 33. QW would be the dumbest pick of all time for this team, for both football reasons and PR reasons and SAM DARNOLD reasons.

It’s not like there are any quality DTs in FA including our own Henry Anderson. 

14 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

So then I guess we take Quinnen Williams and fully embrace his 6-8 sacks a year.

I would gladly take Williams if he could guarantee 8 sacks a year by himself.

18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Right, because Metcalf (WR who can't run routes) or Jonah Williams (T who should be a G and would fail as a T) are great picks for Sam Darnold, right?

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I would gladly take Williams if he could guarantee 8 sacks a year by himself.

I wouldn’t 

He needs to be more disruptive than that at the next level. I’m not looking for the next Shaun Ellis or Mo Wilkerson at #3.

Bosa and Allen have the potential to be elite, 14+ sack a year edgerushers who constantly harass the QB.

Metcalf has the ability to be a total freak show at receiver if he stays healthy and continues to work on his game.

Jonah Williams, despite not being the next Joe Thomas, could be a rock at LT supporting Darnold’s blindside for the next decade.

I like Q. Williams and think he’ll be a fine player, but I’m not going to be jumping for joy if we take him. I’d love for Macc to show more balls than that.

Especially if we’re going to be sticking with a 3-4 and having Q. Williams play as a block absorbing DE instead of a gap shooting 3-Tech.

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

I wouldn’t 

He needs to be more disruptive than that at the next level. I’m not looking for the next Shaun Ellis or Mo Wilkerson at #3.

Bosa and Allen have the potential to be elite, 14+ sack a year edgerushers who constantly harass the QB.

Metcalf has the ability to be a total freak show at receiver if he stays healthy and continues to work on his game.

Sure, as long as he fixes his "stiffer than Gholston" hips, shaky hands, and piss poor route running.  This is what happens with the combine.  I fell in love with his 40 too.  His game tape and his agility drills shattered that love.

Jonah Williams, despite not being the next Joe Thomas, could be a rock at LT supporting Darnold’s blindside for the next decade.

Joe Thomas, is literally, the only guy that comes to mind when you think of short armed Left Tackles.  That's how rare they are.

I like Q. Williams and think he’ll be a fine player, but I’m not going to be jumping for joy if we take him. I’d love for Macc to show more balls than that.

Especially if we’re going to be sticking with a 3-4 and having Q. Williams play as a block absorbing DE instead of a gap shooting 3-Tech.

The bolded aren't guys you draft at three, and trading down is not looking so likely right now.  So it's Bosa, Allen, or Williams.  Anything else is a gross mistake that will, likely, cost people their jobs.

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

The bolded aren't guys you draft at three, and trading down is not looking so likely right now.  So it's Bosa, Allen, or Williams.  Anything else is a gross mistake that will, likely, cost people their jobs.

Agreed. Metcalf is a straight line athlete similar to Gholston and Taylor Mays. Very inconsistent hands. I don't want any part of him. 

Bosa and Williams really are in a tier above everyone else, but if I had to guess today, I think the Jets are picking Allen. Williams likes versatile pieces on D and Allen is incredibly versatile. Allen just needs to be more consistent with his technique (especially his hand usage). 

Archived