My 2019 Running Backs Evaluation For The Draft

Tony The Wiz

After watching hundreds of college games this season, and the All Star games, and now the NFL Scouting Combine here is my results. And where shoul  they go. This year there is no clear cut number 1 Running Back like there was last year. We have big bruising backs, Scat Backs, and all purpose backs.  There is no Barkely this year but it is not a bad running back class. I had a clear top 2, until I watched them run a slow time at the combine, Benny  Snell and David Montgomery.  But Montgomery looked smoother in the drills. So I will keep him as my number 1 RB. So if you don't know anything  about Montgomery well he had the most yards after contact. He is a bruiser. I love the way he runs. Why not either of the Alabama backs that everyone  loves. Well I like them both but Josh Jacobs didn't perform and his production at Alabama was average. Why?  Yeah he is got quick feet and is talented but I like a guy like Darrell Henderson who is as quick as you can be out of the backfield. The guy ran for 1900 yards.  I also like a stud in Miles Sanders who was big time high school recruit and ran a 4:50 in the combine and had 1400 yards this year. And he can catch the ball and block. And Justice Hill is just explosive. Put on   the tape and watch his highlights.       

My list of top 25 running backs.

1. David Montgomery  IOWA ST - Late 1st    ( Early  2nd round  -   2.  Darrell Henderson  MEMPHIS      3.  Miles Sanders    PENN ST    4. Josh Jacobs)        Mid 2nd   5.  Justin Hill   OKLA ST.      

My Next  five I see going in the late 2nd to 3rd rounds 

6.  Damien Harris      ALABAMA - who ran faster at the combine .  His three year production was good.  See him late 2nd 

7.  Benny Snell   -  KENTUCKY        He ran a slow time and he just looked like he was wobbling when he ran but he has the heart of a lion.   See him late 2nd

8. L.J. Scott -     MICHIGAN ST   I had him in top top 3 backs at the beginning of this year and than he got injured as well as his offensive line. He could be another Le'veon Bell who also came out of Michigan St. But because of injury he may land early 3rd, but if healthy he is a steal.

9.  Wes Hills -  SLIPPERY ROCK        Who?!!  out of Slippery Rock.     O.K. why him.  Well I watched this kid in the All Star games and he was knocking down  all conferece linebackers and running right through them. Why wasn't he invited to the Combine is a head scratcher.  He is a steal !!!  Early 3rd Rd

10.   Ryquell Armstead -  TEMPLE    O.K. why is he in my top 10 when nobody has him. Maybe because I watched him  a lot at Temple or just maybe he is a real good back. But because he plays in the American conference he gets no respect. And today at the Combine he runs a 4:45 and 2nd best time at 5:11 and 220 LBS.  Only Justice Hill at 5:10 200lbs ran faster.  And he is tough as nails as a runner.   mid  3rd

The Next  8 are closely bunch except for 1 and should go around best late 3rd to  mid 5th rd.    

11.  Trayveon Williams     TEXAS A&M  -  He is the best of these 8 and is closer to the third round and may even get drafted earlier. He is another Henderson who can  run like a scat back but also at 5:8 have power. His production was outstanding and had a nice 40 time at the combine.  He is my riser. 

12. Dexter Williams -     NOTRE DAME    A Hard runner who is better straight up the middle than around the end. A real competitor and hard runner.  early 4th

13. Mike Weber -   OHIO ST        a lot of people have him ranked better. Sure he is a good athlete but why didn't he be the feature runner at Ohio St. But he had a good combine and he has been well coached.  early to mid 4th

14. Alex Barnes    KANSAS ST     - Why?   Did anyone watch him punish runners at Kansas st. He just put up 34 reps at 225lbs at the combine. And he can Block better than any back. He is 6:1 and 225LBS of muscle. He runs straight up and hard. His weakness is running around the end. late 4th to 5th

So the next two you probably wondering why I am not ranking them higher. 

15 is Bryce Love.    STANFORD           WE Love this guy but he has injury problems with that foot.  He just can't stay on the field and this is now two years.   But if healthy he is as good as a Henderson.

16 is Devin Singletary.     FLORIDA ATLANTIC        Look Walter Football has him the sixth best back.  Other ones have him 4th. Why do I rank him here.   Well last year I would of put him 4th.   The reason is if anyone watched him this year he was nothing like the last two years.  He had 301 carries  and the year before that 152 and this year 262 more carries. He is a small back at 5:7 who just got pounded and he looked worn down.  To put this in perspective a bigger back in Henderson had 431 career carrys for Memphis.  Singletary had 714

17.  Myles Gaskin -   WASHINGTON        This back gives it his all. He plays hurt and is consistent. He is a winner kind of back. Smart but his time was a little slow at 4:58

18.  Elijah Holyfield -    GEORGIA     Some people like him better than I do. He tough runner who could get to the outside. Not a great receiver and his time was a really slow 4:78.  Just put it this way, two of the punters had faster times.

These next 7 will be later round drafties in my book.  

19.  Kareem Higdon -    MICHIGAN      He looked good at the beginning and the middle of the year but tailed off at the end.  I just don't like a player sitting out his teams Bowl Game but than plays in the Senior Bowl. That to me don't make sense.  But he did have a good 40 time. But him sitting out would turn off teams. 

20. James Williams -   WASH ST.     This Back is one of my favorites. Because what he does the Pro Game will love him. He catches balls out of the backfield. This year he  had 83 receptions. Yeah 83 for a back!!!   And it was no fluke. The year before he had 71.  He may also be a riser in this draft since the pro game is perfect for him.

21. Rodney Anderson -   OKLAHOMA     Why this late?   He was hurt all year with a Knee injury. Something you don't want to hear with a running back. But if healthy he can be  one of the best. He is that good. But he is a question mark.

22. Jalin Moore  -       APPLACHIAN ST.   If it wasn't for his season ending ankle injury he would be ranked a lot better. The two previous years he was excellent and the captain of Applachian St. He has the size and the speed.  If healthy he could be a steal for a team.  

23. Bruce Anderson -  Out of North Dakota St. he performed well with a 7.2 average. He wasn't invited to the Combine which hurt him.

24. Jordan Scarlett -     FLORIDA      He was originally not on my top 25 but the combine he showed me some skill and he had a fast time at 4;47.  He had a nice 5.9 carry average but he didn't get many attempts. Was he undervalued by his team? 

25.  And for my next pick is on nobodys list !!!     So why do I have him on my list.  He is a a player. He is a grinder. He is a RB that plays like a full back. I watched him in his Bowl Game and he personally destroyed San Diego St.  His name  A.J OUELLETTE.  He plays in the MAC Conferene. He is 5:10  210lbs  but plays like he is 240lbs.   He is a lunch pail guy who will get you that first down. Hopefully someone will give this RB a chance.  My luck he goes to the  Patriots camp and becomes a success.   Look the guys stats are deserving.  He had 1306 yards and 21 receptions with a 6.1 average and 14 TDS.  And his                                                                      Nickname is the Bulldozer  

So there you go guys. Look this list is my opinion of what I seen this year. There is even a few more good backs not on this list which was deserving like the two Pittsburgh Panthers RBS and Mattison out of Boise St. and Pollard out of Memphis. They are deserving drafties. 

Hopefully you can respect my opinion and in fact give me yours. I love doing this and its basically my hobby since I got my first  Draft Newspaper by Joel Buschsbaum. There is one more phase for these players and that is the Pro Day. But most of the time unless you bomb your status will already be stamped. These pro days are important especially if you didn't perform well at the combine.                                                                                       They are also important for the injured players coming back or the players who weren't invited to the  combine. And some of them are now   broadcast by TV. 

Hopefully tomorrow my offensive line , OT , Guard and Center.      

4 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

15 is Bryce Love.  Love this guy but he has injury problems with that foot.  He just can't stay on the field and this is now two years.                                                                                        But if healthy he is as good as a Henderson.

Missed this...you have Love and Henderson as equal prospects? Hell to the no.

Hollyfield over Scarlett and Anderson is cray.

Good list otherwise.  

Just now, JiF said:

Missed this...you have Love and Henderson as equal prospects? Hell to the no.

Hollyfield over Scarlett and Anderson is cray.

Good list otherwise.  

Can you write out his list in numeric order, like a normal human would?

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Can you write out his list in numeric order, like a normal human would?

I mean, I could but I'm not.  Besides, no show stoppers on here.  Maybe the only one is Josh Jacobs as his 4th rated RB, he seems to be a draft darling right now.  Miles Sanders seems unnecessarily high but the other ones I already pointed. 

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

I mean, I could but I'm not.  Besides, no show stoppers on here.  Maybe the only one is Josh Jacobs as his 4th rated RB, he seems to be a draft darling right now.  Miles Sanders seems unnecessarily high but the other ones I already pointed. 

They like Jacobs skill set, lack of tread on tires and refer to Kamara being #2 at Tennessee as reasons to draft him so soon. I like Jacobs a ton just like many of the RBs in this class but he’s at least a mid-second if you ask me.

29 minutes ago, JiF said:

It was rhetorical anyway. LOL

Archived