Combine Results Shaping up Well for Jets Draft Plans

JetNation

Johan-Williams.jpg

While Mike Maccagnan and the New York Jets sit back and watch the NFL combine unfold as they prepare for the NFL draft in April, there are a few early takeaways that could benefit the Jets in a big way for both the long and short-term on either offense or defense.

The Jets own the third overall pick in the draft, and the consensus during much of the NFL season that any team that wasn’t picking first overall would have no chance an Nick Bosa, arguably the top player in this year’s draft.  Now, as the combine progresses, player performances coupled with some draft rumors could come together to have Bosa available at three, or a great opportunity for the Jets to trade down and add picks.

The first result that came in that could bode well for the Jets was the player weigh-ins when Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray came in at just over 5′ 10” and 207 lbs.  There was talk in some circles of Murray coming in at around 5′ 9” and as low as 180 lbs.  By measuring where he did, Murray is a legitimate top prospect at quarterback.

Following news of Murray’s measurements, NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper had this to say according to USA today:

“I’m going to probably put him No. 1. I think the Arizona Cardinals have kind of dilemma. Do they feel that Kyler Murray is a significant upgrade over Josh Rosen? Then you have to trade Josh Rosen, and do you have an interested party there in maybe the Washington Redskins or the Miami Dolphins. Somebody like that, you get that first-round pick from a team for Rosen.

If Murray were to go at the top of the draft, that pushes Bosa down to no. 2, where the San Francisco 49ers are likely to field some phone calls from teams who are looking to move up and take a QB early on.  The Giants, Jaguars, and Redskins are a few possibilities.  Should the Niners move down or select Alabama defensive lineman Quennin Williams as some are speculating, it would leave Bosa there for the taking at number three.

If Bosa gets snagged at two, it leaves the Jets as the next best spot for teams to pick up the phone and try to strike a deal.  If the Jets pull the trigger and move down while staying in the top 10, with perhaps the same Jaguars or Giants, they would have a chance to select offensive tackle Jonah Williams.

Williams was the second key check-in that was worth watching as many had speculated that his wingspan was not adequate to play left tackle on the NFL.  As it turns out, Williams came in at 33 5/8”, just a shade bigger than Isaiah Wynn, who the Patriots drafted to play left tackle for them last season after coming in at 33 3/8.  It’s also worth noting that while Williams is not on the same level, his  measurements are in the same ballpark as future Hall of Fame tackle Joe Thomas.  The 33 5/8” may not be “textbook”, but it’s far from inadequate.

Should the Jets take Williams in the top 10, they would could consider playing him inside at left guard as a rookie before moving  him to left tackle when Kelvin Beachum’s contract expires at the end of the 2019 season.

So as it stands, it looks as if the Jets could have two big decisions on draft day.  To take Bosa with the third pick, or to add picks while adding a high-level left tackle for the next ten years to protect Sam Darnold’s blind side.  Not a bad spot to be in for Gang Green.

The post Combine Results Shaping up Well for Jets Draft Plans appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
0p-9Y7-FC5E

Click here to read the full story...

Wow. Could the dream scenario happen two years in a row? Imagine if the Jets could trade that pick and some team signs Anderson to an offer sheet and the Jets don't match it. The Jets could go from having zero 2nd rounders to having two. Would be nice especially in this draft. I could see them getting a great RB prospect and a pretty good WR prospect as well. Time will tell.

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Wow. Could the dream scenario happen two years in a row? Imagine if the Jets could trade that pick and some team signs Anderson to an offer sheet and the Jets don't match it. The Jets could go from having zero 2nd rounders to having two. Would be nice especially in this draft. I could see them getting a great RB prospect and a pretty good WR prospect as well. Time will tell.

Anderson is more valuablle than a second round pick. 

3 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Absolutely ! Anderson is a proven product. Who knows how that draft choice will work out.

Anderson has upside but you realize he has his risks. Granted he has been clean basically 1 year, has he matured? For me he is still a gamble. Worth the 2rd tender but not a full blown big contract.

50 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Absolutely ! Anderson is a proven product. Who knows how that draft choice will work out.

Jets always have the option to match any offer sheet Anderson gets so it's not that bad a position to slap the 2nd round tender on him and see how things play out...

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Anderson is more valuablle than a second round pick. 

So why didn't they slap the higher value tender on him? If he is so valuable to the the team why not insure no one would sign him to an offer sheet because of the higher value tender? Makes no sense. If Robbie is signed to an offer sheet he is as good as gone. If the Jets wanted to keep him so badly they would have extended him without slapping that tender on him. I doubt any team signs Robbie to an offer sheet.

24 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

So why didn't they slap the higher value tender on him? If he is so valuable to the the team why not insure no one would sign him to an offer sheet because of the higher value tender? Makes no sense. If Robbie is signed to an offer sheet he is as good as gone. If the Jets wanted to keep him so badly they would have extended him without slapping that tender on him. I doubt any team signs Robbie to an offer sheet.

Your argument is an appeal to authority. The Jets have such a rich history of nailing 2nd round picks we should thrilled to see our young franchise QB lose his deep threat who he has chemistry with in exchange for the opportunity to draft the next Jace Amaro, Vlad Ducasse, Devin Smith, Stephen Hill, Geno Smith or Christian Hackenberg. In the immortal words of Bart Scott, CAN'T WAIT!

I would say the combine is having little effect on the Jet's drafting options.  What would have helped, would have been a franchize left tackle and a strong QB class. There is neither in this year's draft.

6 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Lol chemistry? Come on. He basically stunk it up except for 4 games last year. He had a nice little run at the end of the season but for the majority of the season he was less than League Average. Don't give me the Sam is a rookie excuse either because he had more production with the likes of McCown and friggin Petty throwing to him. No Robbie is a jag plain and simple. Hopefully someone signs him to an offer sheet and the Jets let him go and get a much needed pick. If not he plays for the tender as a show me what you can do deal and I'm sure he will blow it. Guys nickname should be butter because it looks like he melts under pressure. Even against the Lions where everyone and their mother lit it up he was non-existent. Chemistry. Hah. 

I must say that I was impressed with  what I saw of Jonah Williams at the combine.  He was lighter on his feet and quicker than I had anticipated. Carries himself with confidence too. I now feel more comfortable with his prospective landing with the Jets.  If we can get down to the 7-12 pick range, drafting him would be a solid pick.  Given the way things are shaping up, that's not an unrealistic expectation.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Lol chemistry? Come on. He basically stunk it up except for 4 games last year. He had a nice little run at the end of the season but for the majority of the season he was less than League Average. Don't give me the Sam is a rookie excuse either because he had more production with the likes of McCown and friggin Petty throwing to him. No Robbie is a jag plain and simple. Hopefully someone signs him to an offer sheet and the Jets let him go and get a much needed pick. If not he plays for the tender as a show me what you can do deal and I'm sure he will blow it. Guys nickname should be butter because it looks like he melts under pressure. Even against the Lions where everyone and their mother lit it up he was non-existent. Chemistry. Hah. 

Brutal. 

I like the kid from Iowa state. Tall WR

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, Larz said:

Man would I love to be wrong about this draft 

I'm still worried that gruden is in the cat bird seat but the jets might get some business 

Teams that inquire about the #4 of the Raiders, are duty bound to inquire about the Jet's pick.  Add to that Gruden's fickle nature and the fact that Carr is no sure thing in Las Vegas/ Oakland/ Los Angeles, [wherever the hell they are from], I am sure the Jets will get calls from potential suitors. The quotes from Macc at the combine put the word out that, "we're open for business".

52 minutes ago, Larz said:

Man would I love to be wrong about this draft 

I'm still worried that gruden is in the cat bird seat but the jets might get some business 

Can you explain this feeling? There should be 3 elite guys in the draft so we’re good on that end. And 3 is better than 4 so we’re fine on the Gruden end. Soooo, what’s the problem? ?‍♂️ 

9 hours ago, David Harris said:

Can you explain this feeling? There should be 3 elite guys in the draft so we’re good on that end. And 3 is better than 4 so we’re fine on the Gruden end. Soooo, what’s the problem? ?‍♂️ 

The trade down scenarios. The quality of the oline prospects 

I've been saying for months the obvious pick is Quinnen Williams and nobody will want to trade all the way up to 3 

I would still be totally fine with Williams but it looks like there are more possibilities 

Gruden is ahead of Jacksonville that's why he is in the cat bird seat 

Archived