Combine thoughts

Paradis

Won't be able to watch the next couple days, thought i'd share a few things if anyone's interested.

RBs

• Sluggish group. Really put things into perspective. Really is no reason to be spending primo draft capital on a back early
  • Funny how people are bearish on Snell, yet falling over themselves for Montgomery. They tested the same. Compare both tapes and tell me who you trust to translate more in the NFL
  • Damian Harris looked good. Behind the two Bama backs, they're all incomplete prospects. Pick your poison that fits the need/O

OLINE

• I thought they looked strong overall. Robust group of IOL.. 
  • No to Jonah. Not unless we're trading way back. He's just not that special. 
  • Yes to Bradbury and Nate Davis. 

TE

• Meh, i'm not as buzzed as most about this class. Outside of the popular names, the rest are slow and lack upside.
  • Keenen Brown and Josh Oliver are the only ones worth talking about outside of those top 3-4 names.

WRs

• Some wow'd, some disappointing, but most just showed "you are what you are".... which was nice, because there was way too much unchecked man-crushing.
  • Harmon for example, was laughably over hyped as "my WR1" by 1000000 twitter users. That's nice. But try watching the games next time. Not a smooth/natural athlete. 
  • Arcega-Whiteside WTF. He hid from his 4.7 while guys like Humphrey showed up and owned their 4.8. I'm done with JJ. 
  • Lot of guys pussed out on agility/cone drills. Disappointing. Agents just protecting their paychecks. 
  • Butler and Harry surprised. Will make me rethink Harry. Butler, eh - still a stiff WR with sloppy hands, but i think he's showing something. He can help a team win.  
  • Small schools owned  the day for the most part if you ask me. 

QBs:

• Who cares?

Good post, agree to a point about rb’s. Would still like us to look at mid-round guys if we trade back and acquire extra picks. Singletary running slowly was a shocker but his tape doesn’t lie. I ‘m all for us adding a smaller, elusive dude.

Have liked Justice Hill all along but the cat is out of the bag on him now. Henderson or your boy Williams also impress me and i’m not giving up on Devin despite the slow time. If anything makes him more likely to not be over-drafted and be available in the mid rounds.

OL- Have absolutely no idea why Jonah Williams gets hyped. Not for me thanks. Again your call on Dillard looks wise. If we do drop back from 3 to anywhere from 8-15 i’m all in on him or even Jawaan Taylor. Intruiged by Cody Ford. Would love Lindstrom if we ended up somewhere late 1st or early 2nd, although he may be moving up into teens. and the Bradbury train looks legit. Derwin Gray of Maryland could be a good option in mid-rounds.

TE- I like what we have and if we can add a guy like CJ Uzomah in FA I don’t see any need to go TE. Need to see some of Oliver, i’m Totally blind on him, also Sternberger. What I will say is Hockenson rising and rising could be good for us. There’s always a shocker in the top 10 and it could be him.

WR-Like you I don’t really get the Hakeem Butler hype, it seems there’s a lot of Uber-sized WR out there who’s size obscures the more subtle traits required to be a successful pro wideout. I put him and maybe JJAW in that category although I admit I need to see more of him.. Also very cautious on DK Metcalf although you can’t ignore the insane physical  show he put on. That’s Julio Jones-esque for sure but his college production is nowhere near, and it’s not like he didn’t have An elite guy on the other side to free him up. I think Brown will be by far the better pro. Arcega-Whiteside I just can’t get excited about. There’s definitely something about Harry, in a good way. I think he’s Alshon Jeffery in that you’ll come up with a ton of reasons why he might fail but his production, toughness and smarts mean he’ll overcome all of that. Wesley and another of your boys Hurd are way more intruiging for me and Jamal Custis is hugely impressive. I think Custis is sorely underrated and when I finally took a look at Hurd I coukdn’t believe how this guy has flown under the radar for so long. Great skill set, big-time college production and physically a specimen. I didn’t see his workout, any idea how he did?

EDIT: Also really like Paris Campbell, with all the 6-2 + guys I think he’s getting overlooked. Yesterday he just rubber stamped the obvious athletic talent but I also think he looks good running routes and has nice hands. 

QB-ditto....other than Haskins and Murray wowing is good news for us if we want to shop the 3rdviverall puck

interested to see the edge guys. I’m really torn between trading back for a haul of picks i rounds 2-3 (there’s just so much value to be had there at positions of need) and drafting a guy like Aleen at 3. More than anything this offseason I want to see us address the edge rush.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Thought Jake Browning and Ryan Finley threw the ball well yesterday.

Browning is one of those guys who just gets dismissed but if you watch him and then look at his production over a number of years at a top program, you are left wondering what it is that’s wrong. I just think some guys seem to get overlooked and he is in that category but yet I wouldn't be at all surprissednif he ends up being a successful pro. A really good back up guy with a Case Keenen or better type upside. I could be wildly wrong though!

i really liked Finley last year, and those NC State QB’s get perennially overlooked but then do ok(Russel Wilson, Brissett, Glennon, Rivers before That)

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Thought Jake Browning and Ryan Finley threw the ball well yesterday.

Browning is absolute trash, he doesn't have the arm for the NFL. I think he goes undrafted. Don't know much about Finley.

Not sure he fits what Gase wants to do at WR but if I can grab N’Keal Harry on day 2 at WR I’m a happy camper. Deebo Samuel too obviously.

Neither that fast but I thought both ran solid times. Both have solid bulk. Production. Good football players. Catches in tight spaces, wiggle after the catch. Think you can use them in a variety of ways. Harry reminds me of Alshon and Samuel of Cobb. Both I think can be decent volume guys which complements Anderson and Enunwa and both can win in multiple ways.

7 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Good post, agree to a point about rb’s. Would still like us to look at mid-round guys if we trade back and acquire extra picks. Singletary running slowly was a shocker but his tape doesn’t lie. I ‘m all for us adding a smaller, elusive dude.

Have liked Justice Hill all along but the cat is out of the bag on him now. Henderson or your boy Williams also impress me and i’m not giving up on Devin despite the slow time. If anything makes him more likely to not be over-drafted and be available in the mid rounds.

OL- Have absolutely no idea why Jonah Williams gets hyped. Not for me thanks. Again your call on Dillard looks wise. If we do drop back from 3 to anywhere from 8-15 i’m all in on him or even Jawaan Taylor. Intruiged by Cody Ford. Would love Lindstrom if we ended up somewhere late 1st or early 2nd, although he may be moving up into teens. and the Bradbury train looks legit. Derwin Gray of Maryland could be a good option in mid-rounds.

TE- I like what we have and if we can add a guy like CJ Uzomah in FA I don’t see any need to go TE. Need to see some of Oliver, i’m Totally blind on him, also Sternberger. What I will say is Hockenson rising and rising could be good for us. There’s always a shocker in the top 10 and it could be him.

WR-Like you I don’t really get the Hakeem Butler hype, it seems there’s a lot of Uber-sized WR out there who’s size obscures the more subtle traits required to be a successful pro wideout. I put him and maybe JJAW in that category although I admit I need to see more of him.. Also very cautious on DK Metcalf although you can’t ignore the insane physical  show he put on. That’s Julio Jones-esque for sure but his college production is nowhere near, and it’s not like he didn’t have An elite guy on the other side to free him up. I think Brown will be by far the better pro. Arcega-Whiteside I just can’t get excited about. There’s definitely something about Harry, in a good way. I think he’s Alshon Jeffery in that you’ll come up with a ton of reasons why he might fail but his production, toughness and smarts mean he’ll overcome all of that. Wesley and another of your boys Hurd are way more intruiging for me and Jamal Custis is hugely impressive. I think Custis is sorely underrated and when I finally took a look at Hurd I coukdn’t believe how this guy has flown under the radar for so long. Great skill set, big-time college production and physically a specimen. I didn’t see his workout, any idea how he did?

EDIT: Also really like Paris Campbell, with all the 6-2 + guys I think he’s getting overlooked. Yesterday he just rubber stamped the obvious athletic talent but I also think he looks good running routes and has nice hands. 

QB-ditto....other than Haskins and Murray wowing is good news for us if we want to shop the 3rdviverall puck

interested to see the edge guys. I’m really torn between trading back for a haul of picks i rounds 2-3 (there’s just so much value to be had there at positions of need) and drafting a guy like Aleen at 3. More than anything this offseason I want to see us address the edge rush.

Some solid stuff here i agree with... I still have a big soft spot for Devin, Dexter, Benny, and Wes -- but putting my GM hat on, it's clear there's no rush. The right guy will be there for us in rnd 3-5. Any one of those would be value pick. 

Forget to mention Alex Barnes. I was in lonely company when I had in my top 10. Not after this week lol.

I posted this a month ago--

The story Parris Campbell just got interesting. He was one of the toughest guys to figure out. Was he just another Cordarrelle Patterson or more Stefon Diggs? Turns out he really good in drills yesterday. Have to rethink where we are with him. He's got some serious mojo. 

Something about DK feels like a mirage. I dunno... Felt that way about Henderson too. I don't have all the answers i guess. Agree with Harry & Alshon, that's a good way to describe what could be the story N'Keal.... But for a roster devoid of depth like ours, i wish we had more rnd 3-5 picks. You can fill out your RB room, WR corps and flesh out your Oline this year in those rounds. 

Re: Jalen Hurd.... *sigh*... I call him "universal soldier"... he can do everything --> an anvil for your offense. He can run 9s down the field, he can separate from corners, truck his way through LBs with Hunt-ian contact balance, he can convert TDs at the goal line on 3rd down, run digs and slants over the middle.... I would do anything to have him on our team. 

15 hours ago, Paradis said:

Some solid stuff here i agree with... I still have a big soft spot for Devin, Dexter, Benny, and Wes -- but putting my GM hat on, it's clear there's no rush. The right guy will be there for us in rnd 3-5. Any one of those would be value pick. 

Forget to mention Alex Barnes. I was in lonely company when I had in my top 10. Not after this week lol.

The story Parris Campbell just got interesting. He was one of the toughest guys to figure out. Was he just another Cordarrelle Patterson or more Stefon Diggs? Turns out he really good in drills yesterday. Have to rethink where we are with him. He's got some serious mojo. 

Something about DK feels like a mirage. I dunno... Felt that way about Henderson too. I don't have all the answers i guess. Agree with Harry & Alshon, that's a good way to describe what could be the story N'Keal.... But for a roster devoid of depth like ours, i wish we had more rnd 3-5 picks. You can fill out your RB room, WR corps and flesh out your Oline this year in those rounds. 

Re: Jalen Hurd.... *sigh*... I call him "universal soldier"... he can do everything --> an anvil for your offense. He can run 9s down the field, he can separate from corners, truck his way through LBs with Hunt-ian contact balance, he can convert TDs at the goal line on 3rd down, run digs and slants over the middle.... I would do anything to have him on our team. 

Yep agree with you on everything and the Hurd mancrush is entirely understandable, but as you saw him first I feel it’s only right to let it go....for now ?

54 minutes ago, Rolloffjet said:

What’s the board thoughts on. Montez Sweat blazing 40 was already considered a 1st rd talent. 

he wasn’t even on my radar- 40 time is nice but I think bosa is still the clear #1 edge, his short area quickness is elite- his 10 yard split of 1.55 beats both von miller and khalil mack (1.59) and his short shuttle ranks right between those two (4.1)

Quennin Williams put up eerily similar numbers to Leonard Williams. I wish Oliver did everything but they said he had a hammy issue but still put up a 36" vert and 10' broad jump. Not to shabby for a 290lber.

1 hour ago, Rolloffjet said:

What’s the board thoughts on. Montez Sweat blazing 40 was already considered a 1st rd talent. 

I think Sweat is going top 10 now. He had an all time great combine, a very good senior bowl week and 2 back to back productive seasons in the SEC. I think he definitely pulled ahead of Polite (Burns did as well). 

1 under the radar guy who had a great day is Ben Banogu from TCU. 

If bosa somehow slides to 3 he's the pick, its clear cut, he's the number 1 guy on the board. I thought allen looked good today but didnt absolutely destroy the combine like people thought he would.  

Williams had a really nice day and flashed + athleticism for a 300 lb dude. i think he's kind of solidified himself as that #2 guy behind Bosa.  

Jets are actually in a pretty good spot right now. I think at worst they end up with a shot at Allen or williams depending on how arizona and san frans board falls.   A few scenarios take place in my mind:

1. all the qb hype is a smoke screen.  Bosa goes 1. Williams/Allen goes 2.  Jets are looking at a combination of Allen/Williams and in a position to be the team to trade up with now that Murry and Haskins are both sitting there still. 

2. The hype is real.. Cardinals go murry, San fran goes Bosa and jets are looking at both williams, allen, and haskins as bait.

3. Murry goes one, Teams get scared, Trade with San fran to take Haskins.  Jets are sitting there with bosa at their pick. 

Either way the combine is shaping up nicely for the jets. 

also tid bit (take with a huge grain of salt, because everything depends on FA) but devin white turned more than a few of jets officials heads at the combine. If they trade down, dont be surprised if he's sitting there as the top guy on their board at that point.   

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

big hurd fan as well, he's the type of weapon gase needs in this offense.  His versatility is a huge bonus when drafting a kid like that.  Look at how sean payton has been using these versatile guys the last few years, guys like kamara and hill now.. Guys that can line up from multiple spots and hurt a defense are huge additions, to me he's one of the guys I'd be all over the jets targeting in this draft.  Problem is a lot of other teams will be too (chiefs would go bananas to grab him)

59 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I think Sweat is going top 10 now. He had an all time great combine, a very good senior bowl week and 2 back to back productive seasons in the SEC. I think he definitely pulled ahead of Polite (Burns did as well). 

1 under the radar guy who had a great day is Ben Banogu from TCU. 

I think bosa is still the #1 edge but sweat and rashan gary both belong in the second tier with allen now. increases the value of trading down now too

On 3/3/2019 at 3:27 AM, Paradis said:

RBs

• Sluggish group. Really put things into perspective. Really is no reason to be spending primo draft capital on a back early
  • Funny how people are bearish on Snell, yet falling over themselves for Montgomery. They tested the same. Compare both tapes and tell me who you trust to translate more in the NFL
  • Damian Harris looked good. Behind the two Bama backs, they're all incomplete prospects. Pick your poison that fits the need/O

Agreed on this topic.  I really only love Henderson in this draft.  And honestly, seeing what I saw from Jordan Scarlett at Florida, with his speed...he moves up a notch for me.  I just think his game translates and what I steal he'd be if he goes in the 5th/6th round.  

All the more reason to go all in for Bell.  Not that there was ever a reason not to...but confirmed now. 

23 hours ago, Paradis said:

Sign me up for Hurd...could you imagine if we were able to pair him with Bell?  How much he'd learn playing alongside him.  Whoa

20 hours ago, RobR said:

Quennin Williams put up eerily similar numbers to Leonard Williams. I wish Oliver did everything but they said he had a hammy issue but still put up a 36" vert and 10' broad jump. Not to shabby for a 290lber.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Oliver.  I wasnt at first but man, dude just looks like a Donald clone.  I'm not saying, I'm just sayin

3 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Oliver.  I wasnt at first but man, dude just looks like a Donald clone.  I'm not saying, I'm just sayin

That is who Macc's phone is going to be ringing for , not one of these sh*tty QB's.

Archived