Metcalf Impresses Jets With Lights out Combine Performance

JetNation

a81aaace-3595-45a0-a760-7a2146ddfeb7-com

The NFL world was watching the scouting combine yesterday and jaws were left agape when the final numbers came in on Ole Miss wide receiver DK Metcalf, who put on one of the more memorable performances in combine history with his rare blend of size and speed.

Checking in at 6′ 3” 228 lbs with a body fat percentage that’s virtually impossible at 1.6%, Metcalf registered a 40.5” vertical with the cherry on top being an incredible 4.33 40 time.  The effort was so impressive that the Jets tipped their cap to Metcalf through the team’s official twitter account, as seen below.

4.33? At that size?

We see you, @dkmetcalf14 ??? pic.twitter.com/Esfc38n1tM

— New York Jets (@nyjets) March 2, 2019

Almost immediately after his performance, twitter was abuzz with Jets fans insisting Metcalf had to be the team’s choice with the third pick.  An odd proclamation given the fact that virtually nobody had made such claims until watching Metcalf run fast in a straight line.

There’s a good chance Metcalf has pushed himself in to the top five of the draft, but it’s a dangerous endeavour when a team starts taking players based on combine numbers in place of college production. 

Having battled injuries during his time at Ole’ Miss, Metcalf played just 21 games in 3 seasons and was a regular for only his final two seasons.  Over those two seasons, Metcalf had 65 receptions for 1,215 yards and 12 touchdowns.  He did however show his big play ability in averaging 21.9 yards per catch in his final collegiate season.

The post Metacalf Impresses Jets With Lights out Combine Performance appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

4fBylqyp2VQ

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummmmmm if he was so hot why didn’t he show it in games?

The combine used to be to make sure guys were healthy and now teams are acting like because a guy can do track and field drills he will be the next LT or something.  

Playing in games and doing drills are not the same thing!

The games and how you performed in those games matter.  Please Jets don’t do something stupid.  

I don’t want to curse this young man with the name of Gholston but this is PRECISELY what the Jets did with that pick when they acquired him!

Again if the Jets were to pick this guy let it be in large part because of how he performed on the field!!!!    

29 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Sounds like Vernon Gholston 2.0

It all comes down to his hands.  If he can't catch a cold , than I wouldn't touch him despite   How big and fast he was.( See Dhb, and Stephen Hill)

If he has the hands, and all the top three guys are off the board when the Raiders pick. I would have no problem taken him at four.    Every offense eventually needs a number one type of Wr, and really could care less what he did in college.( Qb might have sucked, or he might have played in a limited offense- only asked him to do certain things). 

last point look what one little midget Tyrek Hill did for the Chiefs offense. 

The Gholston comparisons are weak. Gholston performed nuts at the combine but he was always considered a mid to high 1st rounder. He had the numbers from OSU to back up his selection, he was just a bust that wasn't athletic enough, smart enough or determined enough to make it happen at the next level. It sucks but it happens. It's not like a Nathan Shepherd situation except with a first rounder.

In terms of this kid, yes he has limited production but that was mostly due to injury not lack of talent. In the games he did play, he played well. Does that make it much better? No, because if he is constantly injured and turns into Dee Miliner 2.0 than it's all the same. But there is a lot to like about this kid on tape outside of his combine numbers too. He can high point balls and uses his hands well to make catches. He had a number of impressive one-handers. He could likely use his frame to box out corners and even LBers on short comeback routes. It's also hard to ignore the family history factor, especially after the success of Mahomes last year. These kids used to the pro environment do seem to get a leg up most of the time.

I don't think this is a Stephen Hill situation who always had questions about his hands leading into the draft and came out of a gimmick offense.

Do I take him @3? I'm not sure. Depends who is there but probably not. His injury history scares me and I'm not sure his physique will play a factor in that. If we trade down and get an extra pick I'd definitely strongly consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The guardrail comparision to Metcalf is Kevin White. Metcalf is a little bit bigger and and an even better athlete, but their measurables are similar.

White actually dominated more on the college level than Metcalf, but both had those similar nagging injuries. 

I worry about Metcalfs body type in that these muscle bound guys tend to have soft tissue injury problems. 

This is a guy who presents GMs a dilemma between someone like a Jonah Williams who will likely be a very solid long term starter and Metcalf, who theoretically could be a freak with upside.

QBs with potential will usually get picked in round 1.  WR?  Maybe, but as we saw with Kevin White, it often happens as well.  Metcalf was very well marketed, as we know.  

It would be touch to pass up an Allen or Bosa for him.  After that, it is a crap shoot.  

Metcalf is actually a reason why you try and fill the EDGE and OL in FA.  

49 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

They're hypin him up because they want to trade down...

This!!!

The way I see it, the more guys who have lights out workouts and who's draft weight increases, the better it is for us. Let's not forget the Buffalo Bills gave up two firsts for Sammy Watkins. Adding a WR to the group of players that teams feel they "need" is a good thing. Right now we have two QB's, two exciting Edge Rushers, a generational type of DT and now Metcalf has one of the most impressive combines ever. This is all good news for us in the trade down camp.  

Now if we actually used the 3rd pick to take him I would be worried. He reeks of Gholston or even Jonny Lam Jones to me.  WE still have the DL and LB's today and DB's tomorrow. Let's all hope some of these guys have lights out combines to push up their draft stock! 

Ps. I liked some of the TE workouts yesterday! If we can pull off the trade back, I would not be against taking one with our pick.  :-) 

56 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The jets are going to be hyping up lots of candidates, but it will be harder to hype qbs that everyone knows they don’t want.

Agreed, but we won't need to add our weight to that hype train. The rest of the NFL and Media are doing a fantastic job of that already.  That is good news! 

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Agreed, but we won't need to add our weight to that hype train. The rest of the NFL and Media are doing a fantastic job of that already.  That is good news! 

Very true.  I do think that mccagnan wants to trade back and take an OL like Jonah who had a great college career and projects well in the pros.  Remember mccagnan is more about taking guys in the first whose floor is high rather than the guys like Metcalf with very low floors.  If he could get a 2nd rounder and take an OL in the first i think that’s his ideal scenario.

Very true.  I do think that mccagnan wants to trade back and take an OL like Jonah who had a great college career and projects well in the pros.  Remember mccagnan is more about taking guys in the first whose floor is high rather than the guys like Metcalf with very low floors.  If he could get a 2nd rounder and take an OL in the first i think that’s his ideal scenario.

This is exactly it. Regardless of how we feel about the players, Mac has shown his tendencies and there is NO chance he takes this kid over a more proven commodity. He will always take the "safe" pick in round 1.

Just now, JetFreak89 said:

This is exactly it. Regardless of how we feel about the players, Mac has shown his tendencies and there is NO chance he takes this kid over a more proven commodity. He will always take the "safe" pick in round 1.

Ideal scenario is that Murray goes first, then either someone trades up for Haskins leaving Bosa for the jets or Bosa goes 2nd and teams vie to trade with jets to get Haskins before the raiders pick.  I also wouldn’t rule out the raiders swapping picks with the 49ers to ensure they get a qb they want if they move on from Carr.  I do think there is a legit chance that Bosa falls to the jets and that’s before you consider that maybe quinnen williams may kill the combine and pre draft process.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

That's right. He seems to take the safer route rather than a swing for the fences. I actually agree with the mindset. Think of how many first rd busts we have in our history. While Macc has done plenty to make people scratch their heads, his first rd selections have gone a long way toward removing the word BUST from our first rd. Guys like Leo and Lee might not achieve 

what was hoped for them, but they both contribute. I also look forward to seeing how a legit defensive mind can use them. the jury is still out 5 and 4 years respectively. Sadly, that's pretty solid for the Jets lol 

If MAcc can pull off a decent trade back and still get one of the top OL or even  Hockenson he will have done well with the 3rd pick. Taking a guy like DK with the 3rd pick is just about as risky as it gets. 

Just now, GREENBEAN said:

That's right. He seems to take the safer route rather than a swing for the fences. I actually agree with the mindset. Think of how many first rd busts we have in our history. While Macc has done plenty to make people scratch their heads, his first rd selections have gone a long way toward removing the word BUST from our first rd. Guys like Leo and Lee might not achieve 

what was hoped for them, but they both contribute. I also look forward to seeing how a legit defensive mind can use them. the jury is still out 5 and 4 years respectively. Sadly, that's pretty solid for the Jets lol 

If MAcc can pull off a decent trade back and still get one of the top OL or even  Hockenson he will have done well with the 3rd pick. Taking a guy like DK with the 3rd pick is just about as risky as it gets. 

If mccagnan can’t trade back and he’s faced with taking either an OL or quinnen williams i think he bites it and goes with the OL this time.  If they take the best OT on their board and he becomes a pretty good to very good LT they did well, that can help darnold and the offense more than a DT would help the defense.  I don’t think DT is in play at 3, but if josh allen kills it i can see him being in the discussion which makes it even more critical they get some kind of olb in fa so they’re not as desperate heading into the draft.  The qb movement the next month or so will really help clarify how valuable their draft spot really is.

The premise of the article is wrong since he has been projected to go top 10 in multiple "experts" mock drafts prior to the combine. Including Kiper who had him going #9 in his most recent mock draft prior to the combine.

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

It all comes down to his hands.  If he can't catch a cold , than I wouldn't touch him despite   How big and fast he was.( See Dhb, and Stephen Hill)

If he has the hands, and all the top three guys are off the board when the Raiders pick. I would have no problem taken him at four.    Every offense eventually needs a number one type of Wr, and really could care less what he did in college.( Qb might have sucked, or he might have played in a limited offense- only asked him to do certain things). 

last point look what one little midget Tyrek Hill did for the Chiefs offense. 

He looks like a Raider to me ?

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

His numbers are staggering, but as with any receiver, two questions. 1) does he get open, ie. run good routes? 2) does he catch consistently? If not, just another physical freak who should probably be in the Olympics.

Watch this and you tell me if he can catch or if he's just a physical freak.

If they pick this kid John melody better order another table for the trainers room as this kid will be on it more than the field.   First practice of training camp and Manish will tweet how this kid looks like he pulled something on a route but should only be out a couple practices.  3 weeks later he's starting to get better and riding the stationary bike on the sidelines daily 

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

Watch this and you tell me if he can catch or if he's just a physical freak.

I'm not saying he can or he can't. The point is that no matter how impressive his workout, or a highlight tape, he will have to show teams he can do those two things mentioned above.

Cone numbers are troubling for sure and his hands are a red flag. I'm fine letting someone else roll the dice on DK. Figure out the OL through FA, then draft the leftover piece at 3, or ideally trade down get your OL in Rd. 1 and grab a WR in Rd. 2. The line has been a problem long enough. It needs to stop. Rolling the dice on "Julio" or "Matt" Jones is a fools errand. 

Boom or bust type of pick. He could be a Top 5 NFR receiver or Devin Smith 2.0.

I dont get the body fat thing. As a youth I wound up in the hospital because of a body fat percentage that low. Even body builders are around 3% but then only for a few days. Lots of body processes get negatively affected by body fat that low.

I would pass on him, personally.

Archived