Metcalf Impresses Jets With Lights out Combine Performance

JetNation

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Oh no the three cone !!! 

Are you guys ******* serious ?

This kid is going to be very tough to stop in just about every single facet of the game and he has every single measurable a Number 1 WR should have. 

If he's injury prone that's a problem and that's probably the only problem. I have  not looked up his injury status in college so I can't comment but this kid is a beast and I see no fear catching the football at all. One thing (and this can be taught) he seems to catch with his body a lot that will have to be worked on and is anything keeps him out of a top ten pick that would be it. Hios endzone presence would be substantial and add that to what herndon flashed his rookie year and we could be quite formidable in the red zone and that's what wins games. Add Bell to that mix and you instantly have a very explosive offense. Imagine Metcalf out there one on one with a CB on a WR screen 

There has never been a great receiver that doesn't catch with his hands. That keeps him out of the first round if it is the case. Really, the ONLY things I care about in a receiver is that he has natural pass catching ability (hands) and enough speed. The other stuff can be taught. Catching with your hands comes naturally to the best receivers - they don't have to learn it. It's like drafting a QB and changing the way he throws the ball.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything, it is just as dangerous to fall in love with someone because they can run real fast in a straight line with shorts on as it is to not fall in love with someone because they put in a poor number on a test.

These tests can show you a lot.  But college production, the ability to absorb football teaching and knowledge, love of the game, and team spirit should be four things that trump anything else. 

56 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Oakland's the wild card, IMO, in this draft. One minute they're praising Carr as "he's our guy", the next thing are rumors that they're shopping him.

I pray that we trade down a little and recoup some draft picks we lost last year.

we need a second rounder--and someone other than Macc to select it

26 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

So, the entire NFL combine events are created to study a variety of physical abilities; abilities which are meant to judge translation to NFL skills. 

BUT....

we should ignore it all?

Exactly. 

The combine shouldn't take a 3rd round pick and turn him into a top 10 pick because if that player didn't pop in film there is a reason. But it can help separate two relatively equal players. 

For example if you thought N'Keal Harry and DK Metcalf are similar players the combine could help make you decide between the 2. 

The problem is that you have guys like Rashan Gary who weren't that great in college but who everyone expected to blow up the combine end up being top 5 picks. Gary could be a GREAT player. But his bust potential is high. Guys like Bosa/Williams played great in college, were consistent AND look really good at the combine. Those are the guys the Jets should be targeting at 3 (if they don't trade down), not guys like Gary/Metcalf. Gary and Metcalf are guys I would take at 15 if we trade down with the Skins. 

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You don't watch college football.

It was sarcasm since everyone is concluding the only skill Metcalf has is being a workout warrior. So if it works for him we can just apply that to everyone who dominates the combine.

You know what is hilarious. The vast majority of "experts" on this site have killed Macc for years for taking the "safe" no brainer pick early in the 1st round but again want him to do that. 

This site is riddled with hypocrites. 

When I look at Metcalf, I see a TE, or maybe an ER type player, not a WR. 

I understand TEs don't make WR type money, but I just don't see his body type not being an injury waiting to happen, or agile enough at WR. I could be way off base here, but he seems to have TOO MUCH bulk for the position.

@Jet_Engine1has talked about being into power lifting, I'm wondering what he and other people who know more then I do about this level of weight training/body building think?

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You know what is hilarious. The vast majority of "experts" on this site have killed Macc for years for taking the "safe" no brainer pick early in the 1st round but again want him to do that. 

Defensive #1 picks have won us so many Super Bowls over the years even before Maccaganan. 

There is no sure thing. 

Its the luck of the draw and the willingness to gamble. 

GOOD: DK Metcalf scored a TD once for every 5 receptions he had in college.

BAD: He only had 67 receptions over his three “years” of college. 

WEIRD: He only played in 2 games his first year.  In those two games he amassed 2 catches. They were both TDs. 

The only defensive player that I would take in the 1st round is Bosa bc he provides an elite pass rush from the outside. Something that we haven't had for a long time. I'm so tired of drafting the "can't miss" DT only to have them eventually fail here. This off-season needs to be ALL about offense. Guess which team would win more games in today's NFL: 

Team A: #1 in offense, #25 in defense

Team B: #1 in defense, #25 in offense

The answer is simple. Team A will be a high seed in the playoffs, team B will be fighting for a wildcard game at best.

Build the offense to be top 5 and you will win a lot of games even with a bad defense. That's the reality of football in 2019. 

Just now, TheGoose said:

GOOD: DK Metcalf scored a TD once for every 5 receptions he had in college.

BAD: He only had 67 receptions over his three “years” of college. 

WEIRD: He only played in 2 games his first year.  In those two games he amassed 2 catches. They were both TDs. 

That's bc he's an elite vertical threat. He's Robby Anderson with an extra 50 lbs of muscle.

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

The only defensive player that I would take in the 1st round is Bosa bc he provides an elite pass rush from the outside. Something that we haven't had for a long time. I'm so tired of drafting the "can't miss" DT only to have them eventually fail here. This off-season needs to be ALL about offense. Guess which team would win more games in today's NFL: 

The answer is simple. Team A will be a high seed in the playoffs, team B will be fighting for a wildcard game at best.

Build the offense to be top 5 and you will win a lot of games even with a bad defense. That's the reality of football in 2019. 

Sounds good but with a franchise QB in place you need to supply him with offensive players OL,RB and especially WR's decent WR's superstar WR's not JAG'S. 

23 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Really?  Killed for who?  Williams, Adams or Darnold?  Which of these safe picks should be killed by any reasonable person for being drafted where they were?

And the remedy is to take someone because they tested over the top in speed drills at the combine?  

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

How many "can't miss DTs" have we drafted in the last 12 years?  1?

37 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really?  Killed for who?  Williams, Adams or Darnold?  Which of these safe picks should be killed by any reasonable person for being drafted where they were?

And the remedy is to take someone because they tested over the top in speed drills at the combine?  

Darnold is not in this discussion. Nobody criticized the pick where they were drafted. They criticized Macc for taking the safe pick. Taking Adams instead of Watson or Mahomes. Taking Leo instead of Beasley or Gurley.  Adams was a 2nd team All Pro and people are still bitching about Macc taking him instead of either QB.

If you watched Metcalf at all on film you would see that the combine confirmed his physical traits. It didn't reveal them. Their is a reason why experts had him consistently in their top 15 mock drafts prior to the combine and why Kiper had him in his top 10. It's not about his combine, he's an elite vertical threat and elite redzone target on tape. The problem on this site is people are looking at his stat sheet instead of his game film. Scouts don't work that way.

His hands issues are overblown if you watch the film. He makes many 1 handed catches and tons of catches on 50/50 balls. Like I've said many times on here, he's a bigger, faster version of Robby Anderson. And there are people on here who covet that one trick pony. 

The 3 cone drill doesn't scare me off either. He ran a 10-15 yard in at the combine and Michael Irvin was raving about his technique and was criticizing every other WR after him who was too slow and choppy when they were making their cut. I'll take his word over random JetNation posters whose only time seeing him was when he ran a 40 at the combine.

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Darnold is not in this discussion. Nobody criticized the pick where they were drafted. They criticized Macc for taking the safe pick. Taking Adams instead of Watson or Mahomes. Taking Leo instead of Beasley or Gurley.  Adams was a 2nd team All Pro and people are still bitching about Macc taking him instead of either QB.

If you watched Metcalf at all on film you would see that the combine confirmed his physical traits. It didn't reveal them. Their is a reason why experts had him consistently in their top 15 mock drafts prior to the combine and why Kiper had him in his top 10. It's not about his combine, he's an elite vertical threat and elite redzone target on tape. The problem on this site is people are looking at his stat sheet instead of his game film. Scouts don't work that way.

His hands issues are overblown if you watch the film. He makes many 1 handed catches and tons of catches on 50/50 balls. Like I've said many times on here, he's a bigger, faster version of Robby Anderson. And there are people on here who covet that one trick pony. 

The 3 cone drill doesn't scare me off either. He ran a 10-15 yard in at the combine and Michael Irvin was raving about his technique and was criticizing every other WR after him who was too slow and choppy when they were making their cut. I'll take his word over random JetNation posters whose only time seeing him was when he ran a 40 at the combine.

Mahomes is the worst argument ever.  Its like killing the Jets for not drafting Wilson, Brady, Montana etc.  He was on no ones top 6 list and while I give lots of credit to KC, Im not that whiner who will kill the teams that passed on him  I liked and wanted Watson but get why they passed on him.  The whole argument is lame.  No one is going to kill the Jets or claim they played it safe in picking Williams, the player who almost universally was called the best player in the draft.  Please, thats MMQBing and pointless.  Adams wasnt a bad pick, he just wasnt Mahomes.  

Metcalf is a guy some are drooling over for a 4.3 40.  Great.  Playing WR is a lot more complicated than that.  Funny part is, 40 time makes him the 3rd pick in the draft.  Hand questions, cone numbers issues, nah, we'll ignore those, he ran fast, straight ahead without equipment on, thats all that counts.  Hes never put up the numbers Anderson has put up in the NFL in college, but Anderson is the one trick pony whos appeal we should question over Metcalf.  

Hes a prospect with freakish physical tools.  Sorry, I've seen it too many times, no guarantee it translates to success in the NFL.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It all comes down to gear. And he is clearly on a ****ton of it.

Yes and no. Anyone who thinks people get on a cycle and just get huge, shredded, and jacked without still having to work their ass off is kidding themselves (or jealous). Dropping to sub 10% BF requires a huge amount of discipline, and getting that big and shredded means living in the gym and eating high volume of clean food. Whatever. I lift against guys who are yuuge and obviously using gear, but they're working their asses off.....but I generally outlift them anyway. LOL

Oh, and I dont know where the 1.8% is coming from. Sounds like someone doesn't know how to use calipers. That low would be detrimental to hormone production etc. I bet if he got in a tank or pod, hed be around 4%. Still super low, though. 

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yes and no. Anyone who thinks people get on a cycle and just get huge, shredded, and jacked without still having to work their ass off is kidding themselves (or jealous). Dropping to sub 10% BF requires a huge amount of discipline, and getting that big and shredded means living in the gym and eating high volume of clean food. Whatever. I lift against guys who are yuuge and obviously using gear, but they're working their asses off.....but I generally outlift them anyway. LOL

Oh, and I dont know where the 1.8% is coming from. Sounds like someone doesn't know how to use calipers. That low would be detrimental to hormone production etc. I bet if he got in a tank or pod, hed be around 4%. Still super low, though. 

The Pod reading is clearly wrong and that's obvious. I certainly don't think he just jumped on a cycle. It's very clear he's been on a ton of drugs for quite some time. I'm sure he has great genetics given his lineage and he works his ass off, but NFL drug testing is a whole other animal and there's no way to know how his career is going to go moving forward when you throw regular random testing into his life. If the Jets were drafting in the mid-late part of the round and they wanted to take a chance, go ahead, but you can't pull the trigger on a guy like that at 3.

2 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

There has never been a great receiver that doesn't catch with his hands. That keeps him out of the first round if it is the case. Really, the ONLY things I care about in a receiver is that he has natural pass catching ability (hands) and enough speed. The other stuff can be taught. Catching with your hands comes naturally to the best receivers - they don't have to learn it. It's like drafting a QB and changing the way he throws the ball.

early on Al Toon and Jerry Rice caught with their bodies they learned not too and they both became great NFL receivers unfortunately Toon's career was cut short of greatness due to Injury. Great players adapt and practice that change to the point of exhaustion / That's what makes great, not your draft slot. The harder a player works to adapt their game to the NFL the better they become. This is why so many players who seem to be great in college fail in the NFL and that goes for every sport. Jerry Rices workouts and re writing himself as a WR early in his career are legendary if he didn't do any of that and put in the time he would never have reached the heights he did. 

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Pod reading is clearly wrong and that's obvious. I certainly don't think he just jumped on a cycle. It's very clear he's been on a ton of drugs for quite some time. I'm sure he has great genetics given his lineage and he works his ass off, but NFL drug testing is a whole other animal and there's no way to know how his career is going to go moving forward when you throw regular random testing into his life. If the Jets were drafting in the mid-late part of the round and they wanted to take a chance, go ahead, but you can't pull the trigger on a guy like that at 3.

Drugs are used more for Bulk and size more so than lowering body fat %. Its all about repair and rest when working out which is just as important.. Im not sure Drugs are playing a huge part here maybe supplements but Im not too sure on the drug situation. Now a guy like Gholston  thats heavy drugs due to the massive size

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Mahomes is the worst argument ever.  Its like killing the Jets for not drafting Wilson, Brady, Montana etc.  He was on no ones top 6 list and while I give lots of credit to KC, Im not that whiner who will kill the teams that passed on him  I liked and wanted Watson but get why they passed on him.  The whole argument is lame.  No one is going to kill the Jets or claim they played it safe in picking Williams, the player who almost universally was called the best player in the draft.  Please, thats MMQBing and pointless.  Adams wasnt a bad pick, he just wasnt Mahomes.  

Metcalf is a guy some are drooling over for a 4.3 40.  Great.  Playing WR is a lot more complicated than that.  Funny part is, 40 time makes him the 3rd pick in the draft.  Hand questions, cone numbers issues, nah, we'll ignore those, he ran fast, straight ahead without equipment on, thats all that counts.  Hes never put up the numbers Anderson has put up in the NFL in college, but Anderson is the one trick pony whos appeal we should question over Metcalf.  

Hes a prospect with freakish physical tools.  Sorry, I've seen it too many times, no guarantee it translates to success in the NFL.

Way to completely ignore the points I made. I can tell you haven't even watched this guy on film, that's why you and others sound so ignorant when talking about him. I'm wasting my time discussing this with someone basing their entire argument off a stat sheet. 

Without the 2 games he ran up his numbers Anderson averaged 3 rec and 48 yds in the other 12 games. I'm pretty sure any JAG could do that.

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Drugs are used more for Bulk and size more so than lowering body fat %. Its all about repair and rest when working out which is just as important.. Im not sure Drugs are playing a huge part here maybe supplements but Im not too sure on the drug situation. Now a guy like Gholston  thats heavy drugs due to the massive size

This is 100% wrong and you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It all comes down to gear. And he is clearly on a ****ton of it.

His father was a 325 lb NFL lineman. His grandfather and Uncle played RB/WR/KR in the NFL. You don't think it's possible that his physique/athleticism is a combo of genetics and hard work? It automatically has to be that he's on something.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Metcalf looks incredible but I want no part of him. Always hurt and you can't reach for him at 3.

If they trade down he's still risky because you can't trade down and miss.

Couldn't agree more. Insane pick at #3 for a guy that did not dominate in college. Didn't even make either the 1st or 2nd All SEC team. His WR team mate AJ Brown made 1st team along with Bama's Jerry Jeudy.

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

His father was a 325 lb NFL lineman. His grandfather and Uncle played RB/WR/KR in the NFL. You don't think it's possible that his physique/athleticism is a combo of genetics and hard work? It automatically has to be that he's on something.

Genetics, hard work, and drugs. It's pretty obvious.

8 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is 100% wrong and you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Sorry but it looks more like you have no clue, Many different methods being used these days when it comes to body building. Its not all about carbs and roids when it comes to doing it right and maybe this kid is doing it right how would you know any different ?

Just so you know there are plenty of all natural body builders out there that look just as ripped as Metcalf and much larger to boot/ so you should really stop assuming what you think he's doing until you get some real evidence

Archived