Metcalf Impresses Jets With Lights out Combine Performance

JetNation

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yes and no. Anyone who thinks people get on a cycle and just get huge, shredded, and jacked without still having to work their ass off is kidding themselves (or jealous). Dropping to sub 10% BF requires a huge amount of discipline, and getting that big and shredded means living in the gym and eating high volume of clean food. Whatever. I lift against guys who are yuuge and obviously using gear, but they're working their asses off.....but I generally outlift them anyway. LOL

Oh, and I dont know where the 1.8% is coming from. Sounds like someone doesn't know how to use calipers. That low would be detrimental to hormone production etc. I bet if he got in a tank or pod, hed be around 4%. Still super low, though. 

Funny thing happened today.  With all of this scuttlebutt surrounding DK Metcalf and the steroids rumors, I thought I'd poke around and see if I could do some investigating to help clarify the question in my mind.  So I google DK Metcalf freshman photographs to make a comparison of his physique as a youngster versus his profile today,  Flipping through the photographs, I came across one that stunningly looks just like you. I almost fell off of the couch laughing.  Either you and Ol' DK were separated at birth, or you're the funniest son of a bitch to come down the pike in quite some time.  I'm still laughing.  Thanks for that.  By the way,  comparing the pictures convinces me that the "results" we see before our eyes, were not accomplished solely by hard work, Tuna Fish, and Chicken Cutlets.  Regards.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

well we have seen other players sky rocket in the past all depends on need and draft slot where this kid goes. 

Those players usually fail though.  And thats not the point, 15 is far from 3

3 hours ago, choon328 said:

Way to completely ignore the points I made. I can tell you haven't even watched this guy on film, that's why you and others sound so ignorant when talking about him. I'm wasting my time discussing this with someone basing their entire argument off a stat sheet. 

Without the 2 games he ran up his numbers Anderson averaged 3 rec and 48 yds in the other 12 games. I'm pretty sure any JAG could do that.

Dont tell me what I've seen and haven't seen.  Im not the one hard off of the combine.  Picking and choosing what drills I want and which players I want to talk about as if Mahomes has anything to do with Metcalf.  And now back to Anderson. 

You have your opinion, fine.  I didn't rag you for wanting Metcalf, I just wouldn't take him at 3.  Nothing about his career has said he not only should be taken at 3 but makes you come out swinging at anyone who doesn't agree.  You want to get pissy with people, argue because most don't agree with taking a guy and overdrafting him because of some combine numbers?  Want to ignore health concerns?  And then snap back with "Im not going to discuss with..."  Good for you, take your ball and run

51 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Dont tell me what I've seen and haven't seen.  Im not the one hard off of the combine.  Picking and choosing what drills I want and which players I want to talk about as if Mahomes has anything to do with Metcalf.  And now back to Anderson. 

You have your opinion, fine.  I didn't rag you for wanting Metcalf, I just wouldn't take him at 3.  Nothing about his career has said he not only should be taken at 3 but makes you come out swinging at anyone who doesn't agree.  You want to get pissy with people, argue because most don't agree with taking a guy and overdrafting him because of some combine numbers?  Want to ignore health concerns?  And then snap back with "Im not going to discuss with..."  Good for you, take your ball and run

I'm not basing anything off of the combine. I was on board with DK before the combine publicly on this site.

The only excuse I've seen from people not wanting to draft him is his production which to me means you're all looking at stat sheets and haven't actually seen him play. That's obvious, bc people who do this for a living had him pegged as a top 10-15 pick before the combine. But go ahead, take your stupid defensive player at #3 and see how much that helps the team win games next year.

Metcalf has four career 100 yard games. He has five career games with 5+ catches, and three of those are 5 catches on the dot. 

Pretty sure clips of his games against LSU, Alabama, Texas Tech, and Louisiana Monroe this year and Kentucky last year are available on Youtube. Watched them all today.

Very rare he makes a catch in traffic. I think the one jump ball I saw him come down with was a big one against Kentucky last year - if it counted it won them the game. Otherwise his yardage comes from a) toasting a CB and getting open deep or b) catching a little sideline pattern when the CB plays off too far. There's almost nothing over the middle and no variety in his route tree. He just goes deep. Not a lot of YAC, one nice play where he got loose down the sideline against Louisiana Monroe. The LSU game when matched up against Greedy Williams he looked frustrated and had some contested opportunities he missed. 

I'm a big fan of looking at measurables for the draft. There is no way drafting Metcalf at 3 is fair to Metcalf. He is almost entirely projection. Has not shown the ability to run a full route tree, make contested catches, go over the middle, consistently make plays after the catch, etc. Is it possible he does that? Sure, but I think he needs a whole lot of development. Also the skill he'd bring to the Jets early is really comparable to Anderson's. The upside is huge but the floor is scary. Given the opportunity cost high in the first round I'd take a Samuel or a Harry on day 2 over Metcalf at 3 any time.

On 3/3/2019 at 4:55 PM, choon328 said:

Stop looking at stats and watch his tape. I can tell by your comments that you haven't. You'll come to a different conclusion.

I’ve seen his hi light film, but haven’t watched his games.  He has made some impressive plays and is a great athlete but his production and injury history don’t warrant picking him in the top 5 imo.  In fact Id bet you that the rest of the NFL agrees.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes top 15-20 based on his measurables and hilights but he is a boom or bust pick.  We can’t afford the risk of busting.   

11 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I’ve seen his hi light film, but haven’t watched his games.  He has made some impressive plays and is a great athlete but his production and injury history don’t warrant picking him in the top 5 imo.  In fact Id bet you that the rest of the NFL agrees.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes top 15-20 based on his measurables and hilights but he is a boom or bust pick.  We can’t afford the risk of busting.   

Watch AJ Brown as well and compare the two then you’ll see even more why some poster think DK is overrated. 

On 3/3/2019 at 3:17 PM, Smashmouth said:

When they put cones on the football field we can worry about the 3 cone drill :) . Most NFL routes consist of one move and that.'s it.  I'll have to get approval from @RutgersJetFan on that but I.m pretty sure that's the case on anything other than a double move. Most great WR's have size the ability to get open and have the strength to beat a good corner at the LOS in bump and run . Im not sure the 3 cone has anything to do with what this kid is capable of cause on a WR screen hes not going to beat you with shifty crap hes going to run youre ass over or shove you aside with a stiff arm in youre face

So the ability to quickly change directions isn't valuable on an NFL field?

Metcalf is a mid round project at WR, thats it.  What the Metcalf supporters are saying are the same things that were said about Kelvin Benjamin, and at least Benjamin produced on the field in college.

NFL WRs succeed with route running, quickness in and out of their breaks, good hands, a feel for how to get open, and speed.  Running straight down the field without being able to change direction has very little use on the field.

Metcalf shouldn't even be considered in the late first, let alone the top 10

42 minutes ago, BCJet said:

So the ability to quickly change directions isn't valuable on an NFL field?

Metcalf is a mid round project at WR, thats it.  What the Metcalf supporters are saying are the same things that were said about Kelvin Benjamin, and at least Benjamin produced on the field in college.

NFL WRs succeed with route running, quickness in and out of their breaks, good hands, a feel for how to get open, and speed.  Running straight down the field without being able to change direction has very little use on the field.

Metcalf shouldn't even be considered in the late first, let alone the top 10

I agree with most of what you say here but someone will be stupid enough to pick this guy in the top 15

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I agree with most of what you say here but someone will be stupid enough to pick this guy in the top 15

I don't know whether he'll be good or not but most GMs are willing to take some personal risk to chase upside in the first round. Our GM is one of the few that plays it as safe as possible for fear of being criticized afterward. It's fair to ask whether Macc believes in his evaluations enough to "reach" for anyone in the first. He's managing scared. The Bowles version of a GM.

If he is so prone to injury, he’s not going to fare well with this makeshift oline with little talent.  Options are players past their prime thru FA, mixed with 3rd or 4th round developmental players?

Can the Jets afford a risk like this when this line has been neglected for almost a decade?  Even if he turns out to be Megatron, what did it do for the Lions?  Waste of talent.

On 3/3/2019 at 7:01 PM, derp said:

Metcalf has four career 100 yard games. He has five career games with 5+ catches, and three of those are 5 catches on the dot. 

Pretty sure clips of his games against LSU, Alabama, Texas Tech, and Louisiana Monroe this year and Kentucky last year are available on Youtube. Watched them all today.

Very rare he makes a catch in traffic. I think the one jump ball I saw him come down with was a big one against Kentucky last year - if it counted it won them the game. Otherwise his yardage comes from a) toasting a CB and getting open deep or b) catching a little sideline pattern when the CB plays off too far. There's almost nothing over the middle and no variety in his route tree. He just goes deep. Not a lot of YAC, one nice play where he got loose down the sideline against Louisiana Monroe. The LSU game when matched up against Greedy Williams he looked frustrated and had some contested opportunities he missed. 

I'm a big fan of looking at measurables for the draft. There is no way drafting Metcalf at 3 is fair to Metcalf. He is almost entirely projection. Has not shown the ability to run a full route tree, make contested catches, go over the middle, consistently make plays after the catch, etc. Is it possible he does that? Sure, but I think he needs a whole lot of development. Also the skill he'd bring to the Jets early is really comparable to Anderson's. The upside is huge but the floor is scary. Given the opportunity cost high in the first round I'd take a Samuel or a Harry on day 2 over Metcalf at 3 any time.

Exactly - its not just the fact that Metcalf has no ability to bend, he also had terrible college stats.

People that compare him to megatron should be ashamed to disrespect one of the best WRs to ever play.  Megatron had 127 career catches, and as a junior, in a triple option offense had a line of 76-1200-15.  Metcalf has 67 career catches.  

18 hours ago, BCJet said:

Exactly - its not just the fact that Metcalf has no ability to bend, he also had terrible college stats.

People that compare him to megatron should be ashamed to disrespect one of the best WRs to ever play.  Megatron had 127 career catches, and as a junior, in a triple option offense had a line of 76-1200-15.  Metcalf has 67 career catches.  

Megatron was an absolute beast at Georgia Tech

We are officially entering gonzoville

Archived