Reports say Foles going to Jax

WayneChrebet80

The report is that other teams haven't shown interest yet. Well of course not, that would be tampering lol. The report is taking liberties bc of the "lack of interest" so far and assuming Jax is the only one interested at this point. I'll wait till 3/11 to find out what's actually going on .

8 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Not ideal for the Jets as many thought the Jags would be a nice trading partner.

With Foles going to Jags and Flacco heading to Denver not sure where these QBs are going go. 

If the Giants pass on Haskins (they would be insane to) he could drop. 

I don't think signing Foles means they aren't going after a QB. Whoever signs him will be his 5th team in 8 years. His fourth team let him walk after he won a superbowl for them. For whatever reason teams just don't seem believe he's the answer. He's also 30 now.

This makes a lot of sense for the Jaguars.  They will be two years removed from the AFC Championship Game. They were expected to be contenders in 2018 before the sh*t hit the fan.  They are constructed as more of a win now team, than in the future.  I don't think that Coughlin has much of an appetite for a long term rebuild at this point.  They may look to dump the Scum Marrone with another disappointing campaign. It will be interesting to see how they fit Foles under the cap if this is true.  Dumping Bortles is going to sting them financially.  Big Time.

As for the Jets impact, Foles was going to fill one of the needy team's quarterback slots anyway.  Sure the #7 pick was a good landing spot for us, but there will most likely be other suitors for our #3.  Patience.

32 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Also, these teams bringing in Flacco and Foles doesn't mean they're out of the QB market. Especially the Broncos.

broncos are very much in on the qb market.. but mostly for lock so its not a given they HAVE to trade up.  His nice showing at the combine helped boost his stock though, if he can have a great pro day too then things could get a little more interesting. 

the jags right now are in a little bit of a cap issue, i believe looking at over the cap that they are in fact around 2.1 mil OVER the projected salary cap.

Foles is not going to sign for super short money as this is probably his last chance to cash in and his name is still relatively hot.   For the jags to make it work they would have to cut a few guys which they will inevitably do anyway.  Malik Jackson saves them 11 million by cutting him with 4 million in dead money.  Marcell Darius saves them 10.5 with 0 dead money attached.  The bortles contract is really biting them because cutting him is a huge dead money hit 16.5 mil projected and he's counting 21 mil against their cap this year.  

5 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

broncos are very much in on the qb market.. but mostly for lock so its not a given they HAVE to trade up.  His nice showing at the combine helped boost his stock though, if he can have a great pro day too then things could get a little more interesting. 

I know there have been reports they like Lock but you can't believe anything you hear right now. The week before last year's draft it was said the Browns loved Josh Allen. Nobody knew who they really liked till draft day. 

While thats true, john elway has been notoriously bad at hiding his feelings towards quarterbacks in the past and ive heard it from more than one good source that lock is the guy he has a huge crush on right now. Again take it with a grain of salt, a lot can change, but its more than just a heavy handed rumor to this point. 

47 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

While thats true, john elway has been notoriously bad at hiding his feelings towards quarterbacks in the past and ive heard it from more than one good source that lock is the guy he has a huge crush on right now. Again take it with a grain of salt, a lot can change, but its more than just a heavy handed rumor to this point. 

Wait so Elway is giving up on Paxton Lynch?

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Not ideal for the Jets as many thought the Jags would be a nice trading partner.

With Foles going to Jags and Flacco heading to Denver not sure where these QBs are going go. 

If the Giants pass on Haskins (they would be insane to) he could drop. 

The Jets should be a total disruptor and draft Haskins at 3 and see how many picks we get....lol

**just kidding

27 minutes ago, Larz said:

If true then bad news for the jets to a degree 

I’d target Washington as a trade partner at this point since the Giants are a bunch of scumbags. To think the Jets can’t even trade with the team that they share a building with. Why the hell did they agree to that again?

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’d target Washington as a trade partner at this point since the Giants are a bunch of scumbags. To think the Jets can’t even trade with the team that they share a building with. Why the hell did they agree to that again?

If the rumors are true and AZ is going with Murray they’ll trade Rosen, maybe to Washington.  I think the raiders are a wildcard, and i’ll throw in cincy, since they’re not winning anything with dalton and drafting the local OSU qb would energize the fan base.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If the rumors are true and AZ is going with Murray they’ll trade Rosen, maybe to Washington.  I think the raiders are a wildcard, and i’ll throw in cincy, since they’re not winning anything with dalton and drafting the local OSU qb would energize the fan base.

I agree. Someone is getting Rosen for sure which eliminated another team in desperate need of QB. These aren’t the type of QB prospects that anyone that signs a quality veteran stop gap will reach for.

Just now, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree. Someone is getting Rosen for sure which eliminated another team in desperate need of QB. These aren’t the type of QB prospects that anyone that signs a quality veteran stop gap will reach for.

The giants are going to roll the dice in the draft.  The broncos may still want to draft one.  I do think the raiders could try to trade Carr, and also swap picks with the 49ers to get haskins.  Then you have the dolphins, but they’re not trading with the jets.  

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Supposedly Washington wants Rosen

Just now, Philc1 said:

It shouldn’t.  Jets best move is taking one of the big 3 defensive players at 3

The silver lining is that someone will drop if a QB is taken #1 so the QB hype either helps us trade down or helps a player drop.

It just seems to be shaping up where a good player drops and we have no trade down partners. Not terrible. Just not as ideal. 

20 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

The silver lining is that someone will drop if a QB is taken #1 so the QB hype either helps us trade down or helps a player drop.

It just seems to be shaping up where a good player drops and we have no trade down partners. Not terrible. Just not as ideal. 

The top 3 defensive studs one of them will fall to us.  Montez Sweat is about to create a  bandwagon and rightfully so

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Jags are a hot ass mess

Lot better shape then giants. Kinda Shocked they didn’t go after Foles, be a major upgrade over Eli. Now and certainly years from now. Foles probably Didn’t want to go to a terrible team like giants though. 

We are not going to find a trade partner and will end up with a defensive lineman. Bridgewater will end up starting for one of the teams who need a qb and guys like tyrod Taylor or Ryan Fitzpatrick will give other teams enough comfort that they will not sell the farm to trade up for the qbs in this draft who are not great prospects. If we do somehow find a trade partner I don't expect the price of our pick is going to yield a lot and I also don't think Macc is willing to let it go cheap.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Lot better shape then giants. Kinda Shocked they didn’t go after Foles, be a major upgrade over Eli. Now and certainly years from now. Foles probably Didn’t want to go to a terrible team like giants though. 
The eagles are planning on tagging and trading foles...they aren't going to ship him to their division rivals.

Foles loves the Eagles but hasn’t  been above average as a starter with other teams. Not sure about salary but you’d think market like around 15-20 per. 5 years. Half guaranteed? He’s better than Bortles who the Jags are paying 6 but why not keep him around as backup unless his contract pays him more as starter. Plus they want to move forward. 

17 hours ago, choon328 said:

Also, these teams bringing in Flacco and Foles doesn't mean they're out of the QB market. Especially the Broncos.

True, I just don't think anyone will be desperate.  And there's a big difference between being desperate for a QB and opportunistic about taking one.  Teams like the Raiders, Giants, Broncos, Jags, Dolphins, etc. all have needs but I'm not sure any of them are going to be desperate enough after FA.  Guys like Flacco, Foles, Bridgewater, etc. will all land in places before the Draft.  Some of those teams will still want a young risky signal caller like Haskins or Murray....but others may feel content.  I just don't believe anyone will be hard charging up the draft board because they see one of these QBs as a must-have.

6 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

This makes a lot of sense for the Jaguars.  They will be two years removed from the AFC Championship Game. They were expected to be contenders in 2018 before the sh*t hit the fan.  They are constructed as more of a win now team, than in the future.  I don't think that Coughlin has much of an appetite for a long term rebuild at this point.  They may look to dump the Scum Marrone with another disappointing campaign. It will be interesting to see how they fit Foles under the cap if this is true.  Dumping Bortles is going to sting them financially.  Big Time.

As for the Jets impact, Foles was going to fill one of the needy team's quarterback slots anyway.  Sure the #7 pick was a good landing spot for us, but there will most likely be other suitors for our #3.  Patience.

Here are my thoughts on this, Joe.

i don’t see Coughlin letting Marrone go. He’s a coaches coach, his HC probably has a long leash. Add to that Marrone is a fellow Orangeman, I don’t see him going anywhere.

Second, you make a good point about Bortles, his new contract, and it’s cap ramifications. I get what you said about them looking like a “win now” team, but I don’t see Coughlin as a guy who panics. He’s not a short term fix guy, so even though I could see him taking a QB at 7, or even in a later round, I could just as easily see him go defense, or even trade out like I think so many in the top 10 would love to do. I really don’t see him giving away a bunch of picks to move up a few spots.

In the end, who knows how the hell this draft will turn out? Keep in mind there are at most 3 sure things in this draft. A lot of the teams at the top have QBs already, and just like us, their fans are conjuring up all kind of possibilities to trade down and get more picks. Those who don’t, and want a QB will probably be able to get one staying right where they are.

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Here are my thoughts on this, Joe.

i don’t see Coughlin letting Marrone go. He’s a coaches coach, his HC probably has a long leash. Add to that Marrone is a fellow Orangeman, I don’t see him going anywhere.

Second, you make a good point about Bortles, his new contract, and it’s cap ramifications. I get what you said about them looking like a “win now” team, but I don’t see Coughlin as a guy who panics. He’s not a short term fix guy, so even though I could see him taking a QB at 7, or even in a later round, I could just as easily see him go defense, or even trade out like I think so many in the top 10 would love to do. I really don’t see him giving away a bunch of picks to move up a few spots.

In the end, who knows how the hell this draft will turn out? Keep in mind there are at most 3 sure things in this draft. A lot of the teams at the top have QBs already, and just like us, their fans are conjuring up all kind of possibilities to trade down and get more picks. Those who don’t, and want a QB will probably be able to get one staying right where they are.

All good points. Still, consider this.  You know Coughlin is a no nonsense, practical and intense man.  Last year there were problems on that Jaguar squad which should have been handled by Marrone They weren't.. This excerpt from an article illustrates part of the problem, remember this?  "They're undisciplined, unable to handle adversity and unaccountable. They fought out in the open and behind closed doors. One player threatened a reporter on social media. Another left the bench to get into a fight during a game. Another refused to go into a game. And in a very public display of insubordination, two players sat alone on the bench, disinterested in what was happening during the final game of the season -- which so angered executive vice president of football operations Tom Coughlin that he released an unsolicited statement after the game. If Marrone can fix this situation this season, he will remain, if not I see him as being replaced. Coughlin will not stand for another year of this circus, of that you can be sure.  Also, John DeFilippo has a relationship with Foles.  A reunion is on the horizon, bet on it.

This is awesome that the Jags might sign Foles. His salary will be a minimum 20 million plus, which should shake loose some pretty good players to balance their salary cap. I'd be up for trying to get Jalen Ramsey. 

13 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

The eagles are planning on tagging and trading foles...they aren't going to ship him to their division rivals.

Lol? there is no way eagles are going, or were going to drop the tag on Foles. Even if the giants wanted, nothing they can do about it. They cap is to the brim, they can’t afford to risk Foles signing the tag and having a 24 million backup? they would have to cut some good players to potentially make room for Foles.. No way they were going to play Russian roulette with the franchise tag 

Archived