Montez Sweat

MichaelScott

On March 4, 2019 at 12:01 AM, cant wait said:

I think now he has to be, unless the off the field stuff is a red flag or whatever. I think allen can lock in #2 behind bosa at his pro day though

You have to look at  the defense your team will be using to determine which prospect is a better fit.   If you are a 3-4 defense Josh Allen is probably a way better fit than Montez Sweat .   Like if you are a 4-3 defense Montez Sweat is probably a better fit in that defense.

M Sweat was diagnosed with some kind of heart ailment at the combine.   Jmo I don't think it was serious as they let him compete at the combine.

9 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

You have to look at  the defense your team will be using to determine which prospect is a better fit.   If you are a 3-4 defense Josh Allen is probably a way better fit than Montez Sweat .   Like if you are a 4-3 defense Montez Sweat is probably a better fit in that defense.

M Sweat was diagnosed with some kind of heart ailment at the combine.   Jmo I don't think it was serious as they let him compete at the combine.

What makes you say Sweat isn’t a good fit for 3-4 OLB?   His speed and agility are actually better than Allen,  they are actually very similar as prospects and both are better suited for 3-4.  

5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

What makes you say Sweat isn’t a good fit for 3-4 OLB?   His speed and agility are actually better than Allen,  they are actually very similar as prospects and both are better suited for 3-4.  

Most scouts feel he's a better fit in 4-3 defense- little excerpt what the scout said " I believe Montez Sweat is a defender who will thrive in a 4-3 due to his limitations as a flexible and agile edge player. In a 3-4 where the edge rushers are sometimes counted on to play in space very often, as well as playing in coverage, it hinders Sweat’s ability to maximize his impact on an offense. "

Josh Allen is much more suited to play in 3-4 defense than Sweat .    

The Raiders and the Jets are both looking for pass rushers but they might not be looking at the same prospect .  Some of the prospects are better fits in 3-4 versus the 4-3.      

6 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

7 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Most scouts feel he's a better fit in 4-3 defense- little excerpt what the scout said " I believe Montez Sweat is a defender who will thrive in a 4-3 due to his limitations as a flexible and agile edge player. In a 3-4 where the edge rushers are sometimes counted on to play in space very often, as well as playing in coverage, it hinders Sweat’s ability to maximize his impact on an offense. "

The Raiders and the Jets are both looking for pass rushers but they might not be looking at the same prospect .  Some of the prospects are better fits in 3-4 versus the 4-3.      

I think an argument could be made for both just because he's such a big guy.

He does pass the two most pressing concerns when it comes to drafting a 3-4 OLB. He has a good get off and he can "bend". That ability too dip down and power towards the pocket and collapsing it. That's how you get sacks and turnovers.

He can also stick his hand in the dirt and be an effective 4-3 DE.

One thing I don't worry about is his heart condition, to me that's a mute point.

9 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

I wouldn’t say it’s most scouts.  They said the same thing about Anthony Barr and he’s played OLB in a 4-3.   Besides the scouting report you cited states that he has limitations as a flexible and agile player.  That’s entirely false.  Just watch the player and you’ll see that scouting report is pure fiction. 

9 hours ago, RobR said:

I think an argument could be made for both just because he's such a big guy.

He does pass the two most pressing concerns when it comes to drafting a 3-4 OLB. He has a good get off and he can "bend". That ability too dip down and power towards the pocket and collapsing it. That's how you get sacks and turnovers.

He can also stick his hand in the dirt and be an effective 4-3 DE.

One thing I don't worry about is his heart condition, to me that's a mute point.

Agreed.  The heart thing is nothing.  If he’s going to play in a 4-3 I think he still needs to add some weight.  He played last season at around 245, he put on 15 pounds for the combine to weigh in at 260.  Right now he is perfect for a 3-4 IMO.  

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I wouldn’t say it’s most scouts.  They said the same thing about Anthony Barr and he’s played OLB in a 4-3.   Besides the scouting report you cited states that he has limitations as a flexible and agile player.  That’s entirely false.  Just watch the player and you’ll see that scouting report is pure fiction. 

Outside of A Barr  rookie year he has been that great in the NFL.( because he more suited to play in 3-4, than the 4-3).   I will find the game tape where they show exactly what the Scout was talking about when the rare time they asked Sweat  to drop back in coverage.

without a doubt if the Jets two choices are Josh Allen or Montez Sweat . The Jets will take Josh Allen Everytime because he's a better fit in 3-4.   Same reason if the Raiders two choices were J Allen or Montez Sweat . They would take Sweat because he fits 4-3 much better.

11 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Outside of A Barr  rookie year he has been that great in the NFL.( because he more suited to play in 3-4, than the 4-3).   I will find the game tape where they show exactly what the Scout was talking about when the rare time they asked Sweat  to drop back in coverage.

without a doubt if the Jets two choices are Josh Allen or Montez Sweat . The Jets will take Josh Allen Everytime because he's a better fit in 3-4.   Same reason if the Raiders two choices were J Allen or Montez Sweat . They would take Sweat because he fits 4-3 much better.

I would hope that the Jets are done being all riled up about scheme fit, since their DC is a 4-3 guy that is presumably only coaching 3-4 because of the hand hew as dealt.  We are going to lock ourselves into 5 more years of 3-4 based on that?

On 3/3/2019 at 7:50 PM, MichaelScott said:

What do the draftniks think of Montez Sweat. I didn't know much about him before I caught the highlights of his impressive combine personance. I know the never ending debate is how important is the working out in shorts numbers. 

That 40 time seems out of this world for a DE. Although at his height and weight he probably projects to OLB, right? 

How much does a mind blowing 40 time mean to you when you're evaluating edge guys. Obviously speed and burst is a must but does blowing away the 40 nessesarily lend to him being a good pass rusher? 

Screenshot_20190303-204510_Chrome.jpg

Obviously speed counts for something but when it comes to Edge rushers I think it's much more about quickness and the Ability to shed blocks.

Archived