Peter King on Trey Flowers

derp

“I would expect someone (the Jets, perhaps) to pay the 25-year-old Flowers somewhere around $17 million a year.”

Not sure if just speculating but found it interesting. I like the idea of nabbing Flowers and moving him all over the place. Big money obviously though, more than his sack production would justify...but that’s free agency.

Yup, that's free agency and when you shoot yourself in the foot by not finding young players to fill needs at critical positions like pass rushers (such as by passing on players like Chandler Jones and Melvin Ingram), you have to over pay.

That said, I'm warming up on the idea of Flowers.  He's not going to be a 12+ sack guy, but he's young (25), versatile and supposedly a great kid.  I'd rather pay that kind of money to an overachiever then an underachiever like Fowler.  

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

17 million seems a bit pricey.  he seems to be pretty versatile so it's not like you can just look at sack totals or qb pressures when assessing how good this guy is.

In another thread Flowers pressure and QB hit numbers were very impressive. $17 mil is very expensive though. Remember 6 years ago when paying Revis $16 mil seems ludicrous? lol 

8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

This is exactly what the Jets do. Spend tons of money on guys who doing everything well but nothing elite. $17 million per year for 6 sacks per year. Sounds like a Macc move.

Well he was one of the best defensive players in the playoffs by a country mile. 

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

In another thread Flowers pressure and QB hit numbers were very impressive. $17 mil is very expensive though. Remember 6 years ago when paying Revis $16 mil seems ludicrous? lol 

he gets 7-8 sacks per year and 20 or so pressures.  17 million is high if only those numbers are considered so i'm thinking he does more.  but who knows, it's free agency.  if wilky was worth 17 million then what's flowers worth?

14 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Yup, that's free agency and when you shoot yourself in the foot by not finding young players to fill needs at critical positions like pass rushers (such as by passing on players like Chandler Jones and Melvin Ingram), you have to over pay.

That said, I'm warming up on the idea of Flowers.  He's not going to be a 12+ sack guy, but he's young (25), versatile and supposedly a great kid.  I'd rather pay that kind of money to an overachiever then an underachiever like Fowler.  

I'm all for getting Flowers and FA is what it is, however, let's see what happens with D.Lawrence and the offer the Cowboys made him. 

If he hits FA he will want considerably more and that will reflect how much other edge rushers will want. I would not be surprised if he wants around 25mil a year.

Do you want D.Lawrence for around 25mil a year or do you want T.Flowers for 17? All of a sudden that 17mil sounds pretty reasonable. 

And for the record I would still want D.Lawrence. lol.

31 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Cap is so much higher now than it was even a few years ago. So by %, it's less...but yes, still obviously a big pay day. Plus, I'd honestly rather see Mac overpay Flowers than Fowler.

I'd rather see Macc spend big money getting the offensive line right and bringing in offensive skill position players then focusing on defense. You can bring in good talent for a lot less then $17 million. Henry Anderson will cost half of that and had similar production. 

Who knows if this report is even true. The Jets don't let much get out into the public. The majority of rumors are coming from agents who have their own agenda.

Flowers is a very good (probably not great) player who seems to have the high-quality type of character you want in your locker room. I'm not sure if that's worth 17mil a season, but guys get paid nowadays so it is what it is - somebody will give it to him.

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You guys are vastly underestimating Trey Flowers.  He is a beast. He is young. He is getting better. 

He was vastly underrated out of college. 

If you are going to overpay for a player, I rather overpay for Flowers than Leveon Bell. 

Exactly and the other under the radar player I like a lot is  OLB Za'Darius Smith free agent from the Ravens. 

On one thread we want to waste the #3 overall pick by over drafting an offensive lineman that may or may not develop into the Left Tackle of the future. The reason.  Need.  Here, we want to overpay a very good, but not great, free agent Defensive Edge Rusher/Linebacker based on what?  Need. The other brilliant reason.  Because we can. 

This is not a good approach to building a successful long term team nucleus.  Here's an idea.  Draft the Defensive Edge Rusher with the #3 { I still want Quinnen Williams}, Bosa or Allen, and buy yourself the Offensive Lineman.  It won't cost you 17 million, that's for sure.

Flowers seemed to always show up watching Pats games last year, he gets a lot of pressures, has an awesome wing span, was the Pats most VERSATILE defender. I'm honestly shocked they aren't franchising him. Everyone here is poo pooing Q.Williams, but you go into 2019 season with a front 4 of Flowers- Q.Williams- L.Williams-Anderson? I'd say DAMN!

The only players who should be getting top of the market deals on defense are players who can take over games. (Mack and Watt for example). Even a guy like Clowney isn't in that stratosphere. I'd be very skeptical about paying that much money to a guy who averages 7 sacks per season and isn't considered one of the best at his position.

18 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The only players who should be getting top of the market deals on defense are players who can take over games. (Mack and Watt for example). Even a guy like Clowney isn't in that stratosphere. I'd be very skeptical about paying that much money to a guy who averages 7 sacks per season and isn't considered one of the best at his position.

I think Flowers gets in the 15 range. Could be wrong, but we'll see. 

39 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I think Flowers gets in the 15 range. Could be wrong, but we'll see. 

He may but he'll never live up to it without a dramatic increase in production. It's the same reason Leo isn't worth $14 million this year. 

Let's say we paid through the nose for Trent Brown and Trey Flowers-not only are we better, but the Patriots are worse.

Cut Beachum and save money.

Draft Bosa, Allen or Quinnen.

Let Leo walk next year if necessary.

Sign a C and G.

Sign a WR.

Sign a LB, RB and CB.

In third round and below draft BPA-RB, WR, LB.

Cut the excess-could include Winters, Lee, Crowell.

How are the Jets not MUCH better if they do that?

3 hours ago, genot said:

The word"perhaps', certainly sounds like he's speculating. The only position he's suited for is DE, in a 4/3. If we don't pay him that kind of money, someone else will.

It’s a douche bag jab you expect from douche bag Pat fans/Boston lovers, he does this stuff all the time to the Jets in his articles.

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

he gets 7-8 sacks per year and 20 or so pressures.  17 million is high if only those numbers are considered so i'm thinking he does more.  but who knows, it's free agency.  if wilky was worth 17 million then what's flowers worth?

Wilky got $17 mil? 

That's the first time I've ever said Wilky by the way. 

5 hours ago, RVAJet815 said:

Cap is so much higher now than it was even a few years ago. So by %, it's less...but yes, still obviously a big pay day. Plus, I'd honestly rather see Mac overpay Flowers than Fowler.

Right. It's just nuts how we throw these numbers around but I get it. 

And I agree. If all things were equal in the financial dept. I would rather see us sign Flowers than Fowler. But Fowler may come for much less and could very well just be hitting his prime. He had a tough early going beginning with the training camp injury ending his rookie season.  That guy could be just about to explode on the league. Give him a solid contract with incentives and he might be the golden nugget out there. 

6 hours ago, choon328 said:

This is exactly what the Jets do. Spend tons of money on guys who doing everything well but nothing elite. $17 million per year for 6 sacks per year. Sounds like a Macc move.

And counting sacks as the end all be all to rate a player is what fans do.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And counting sacks as the end all be all to rate a player is what fans do.

$17 million for a really good player who impacts games very little. That's what I meant by his sack total

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

$17 million for a really good player who impacts games very little. That's what I meant by his sack total

And that is the wrong way to judge every lineman, dont care what fans think.  There are lots of DL who were solid overall performers who arent near the top of the league in sacks.  

25 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Wilky got $17 mil? 

That's the first time I've ever said Wilky by the way. 

sounds even more ridiculous when you read it again.

"NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Wilkerson's extension will pay him roughly $17 million per season over five seasons, per a source who has seen the contract. The pact, worth $86 million in full (including $53.5 million in guarantees over three years, $36.75 million fully guaranteed through Year Two and a $15 million signing bonus) will pay the Jets centerpiece more than Houston's J.J. Watt."

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And that is the wrong way to judge every lineman, dont care what fans think.  There are lots of DL who were solid overall performers who arent near the top of the league in sacks.  

You don't pay a solid player $17 million per year. There is nothing elite about Flowers. 

Archived