Peter King on Trey Flowers

derp

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You don't pay a solid player $17 million per year. There is nothing elite about Flowers. 

And no one knows that hes going to even be offered that money.  

So I'm not doing the "we always overpay" routine.  Its almost as good as we'll overdraft someone

3 hours ago, choon328 said:

The only players who should be getting top of the market deals on defense are players who can take over games. (Mack and Watt for example). Even a guy like Clowney isn't in that stratosphere. I'd be very skeptical about paying that much money to a guy who averages 7 sacks per season and isn't considered one of the best at his position.

He is considered one of the best at his position.  He was ranked 2nd best edge defender last year by PFF, ahead of Watt and is only 25.  He also consistently shows up in the postseason.

Now 17 million a year is a pretty steep price, for anyone.  Generally speaking, i'm usually not inclined to pay big money in FA, and tend to prefer depth over big name players.  So eg 2 good edge defenders at a discount is usually better than one great one b/c of the nature of  injuries and reps in the NFL. 

9 minutes ago, rangerous said:

sounds even more ridiculous when you read it again.

"NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Wilkerson's extension will pay him roughly $17 million per season over five seasons, per a source who has seen the contract. The pact, worth $86 million in full (including $53.5 million in guarantees over three years, $36.75 million fully guaranteed through Year Two and a $15 million signing bonus) will pay the Jets centerpiece more than Houston's J.J. Watt."

It's interesting to me that I somehow detached my knowledge of that contract. My initial thoughts of him making more than Watt are starting to come back to me.  It seems so ridiculous in hindsight. I'd have to agree with your original point then. If Wilky can get 17 per a few years ago, there should be no real question that Macc would pay Flowers the much or more. 

... WIlky 

Archived