dmoe

Jets "Undeniably the favorite" to sign Le'Veon Bell this offseason

I just remember all the rumors leading up to the draft last year. Glad all these rumors end in a week or so. Let’s get it rolling

Actual article by Hughes says one agent says they're undeniably the favorite, another agent says they're in the mix along with the Eagles and Bucs, and another source says they prefer Coleman at his lower price tag with less mileage and off field concerns. Had that big quote and then heavily hedged it, only thing definitive was that they'll come away with one or the other.

• Upvote 1

Until the Jets Cousined by Bell when he signs with Indy, KC, Houston, or Philly. It's not what I want to happen but I am prepared for it.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

We're often linked to every big ticket free agent this time of year.

• Upvote 3

Just now, 14 in Green said:

Doesn't mean a thing unless we get it done.

All you hear this time of year is conflicting reporting. We will all know soon enough. The Jets may be “interested” but not serious by presenting a low ball offer.

So sure, they may be perceived as “interested” in the many reports that are sure to come out but that doesn’t mean serious. I have no clue what to expect at this point. 

1 minute ago, derp said:

Actual article by Hughes says one agent says they're undeniably the favorite, another agent says they're in the mix along with the Eagles and Bucs, and another source says they prefer Coleman at his lower price tag with less mileage and off field concerns. Had that big quote and then heavily hedged it, only thing definitive was that they'll come away with one or the other.

Agreed, and I'd be happy with either!

22 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Until the Jets Cousined by Bell when he signs with Indy, KC, Houston, or Philly. It's not what I want to happen but I am prepared for it.

Except Bell is a pure mercenary who WILL take the highest dollar. That's a battle Macc can actually win, rather than get snubbed by someone who would prefer to, well, win for a bit less.

Macc's bad drafts and Jets being snubbed by multiple FAs over his tenure have basically created a situation where Macc has no choice but to get Bell.

• Upvote 1
  • Butt Fumble 2

So far it’s the Jets, Eagles, Ravens, Bucs, Colts, Fins, Texans, Packers, Falcons and 49ers. Did I miss anyone? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Good.  Let them make KC overpay for Bell and have to let go of Morse, Houston and maybe Ford.

• Upvote 1

Wonder if it was Bell's agent who is leaking stuff like this.  The Jets being heavily involved could only drive the price up for his client.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The question is, if nobody ponies up the mad money he wants, will Bell spend next season sitting on a couch with Antonio Brown playing Fortnite?  Hey...they don't need to play football.  

Seriously though, can Bell come back and play for less than the $15MM he basically insisted he was worth after all the posturing?  Seeing Fournette and now Gurley get derailed a bit by injuries may put some teams off from signing long, guaranteed deals with RBs.  There always seems to be one dumb team out there for these guys but I am warming up to the Coleman bandwagon quickly if the price is much better.

I think if the money isn't right he'll sign a 1 year deal with a "no tag" clause for less money to prove his worth and be a free agent again next year. That would be his smartest play if he's not getting offered big contracts.

Coleman is a good player in a limited role. I'm not sure how he would handle the #1 job compared to how much he'll command. They may be better off keeping Crowell and drafting a guy. That way you're not committing significant money to a guy who you have no idea what he'll do when he's the top guy.

The Eagles are $4mm under the cap BEFORE they resigned Brandon Graham.  It will take some serious financial gymnastics to sign Bell.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, rayzor said:

That's odd.  I just read a few articles posted within the past 24 hours saying that we have "little interest" and will focus on signing a "2nd tier" running back.

That's what I've seen. That we aren't interested at the price he wants and that we're going to go after a 2nd tier guy.

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I think if the money isn't right he'll sign a 1 year deal with a "no tag" clause for less money to prove his worth and be a free agent again next year. That would be his smartest play if he's not getting offered big contracts.

Coleman is a good player in a limited role. I'm not sure how he would handle the #1 job compared to how much he'll command. They may be better off keeping Crowell and drafting a guy. That way you're not committing significant money to a guy who you have no idea what he'll do when he's the top guy.

I'd be fine with a 1-year show-me deal, maybe with a team option for a 2nd year at a much higher price.  Just not interested in a 5-year, $75MM deal with more than half of it guaranteed.  

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

Except Bell is a pure mercenary who WILL take the highest dollar. That's a battle Macc can actually win, rather than get snubbed by someone who would prefer to, well, win for a bit less.

Macc's bad drafts and Jets being snubbed by multiple FAs over Macc's tenure have basically created a situation where Macc has no choice but to get Bell.

I don't see this at all.

The guy didn't want to risk his future on a one year deal.

Guy gets hit by absolute beasts hundreds of times a year from all angles.  One wrong hit and his career is over.

Nothing wrong with what he did imo.  He's earned whatever deal comes his way.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I don't see this at all.

The guy didn't want to risk his future on a one year deal.

Guy gets hit by absolute beasts hundreds of times a year from all angles.  One wrong hit and his career is over.

Nothing wrong with what he did imo.  He's earned whatever deal comes his way.

Where did I say I was judging him poorly for it??

Just now, jgb said:

Where did I say I was judging him poorly for it??

The mercenary comment.

Sorry, maybe I misread it.

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'd be fine with a 1-year show-me deal, maybe with a team option for a 2nd year at a much higher price.  Just not interested in a 5-year, $75MM deal with more than half of it guaranteed.  

I would expect any long term deal he gets will have out clauses every year after year 2. 

If they sign Bell for let's say $15 million per year, then draft a RB on day #2, then cut Crowell for a $5 million cap savings, this would be a fine thing to do.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

The mercenary comment.

Sorry, maybe I misread it.

It’s a compliment. Loved Revis for how he played the business end of the game. This league and its owners deserve no loyalty. Every player should protect himself and max his value. Fans can cry all they want but how many of us wouldn’t move to Intertrode if offered a 10% raise?

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

The Eagles are $4mm under the cap BEFORE they resigned Brandon Graham.  It will take some serious financial gymnastics to sign Bell.  

Does that take into account the Foles money coming off the books? 

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

That's odd.  I just read a few articles posted within the past 24 hours saying that we have "little interest" and will focus on signing a "2nd tier" running back.

161121093457_1_540x360.jpg.ed71d1f028d66fdc6e30c90bf74f858c.jpg +  images.png.dc48ca326396db6a74750a0426e39a6b.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

the  only team above that needs a rb is the eagles

This is a very Jets move. I fully expect us to sign Bell next week.

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

true   😎

p.s.  only this year,..2 words... Cap Space   😉

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

The question is, if nobody ponies up the mad money he wants, will Bell spend next season sitting on a couch with Antonio Brown playing Fortnite?  Hey...they don't need to play football.  

Seriously though, can Bell come back and play for less than the $15MM he basically insisted he was worth after all the posturing?  Seeing Fournette and now Gurley get derailed a bit by injuries may put some teams off from signing long, guaranteed deals with RBs.  There always seems to be one dumb team out there for these guys but I am warming up to the Coleman bandwagon quickly if the price is much better.

Great post. That's my big question here. I think Gurley and the season Conner had were bad for Bell's value, but if that's the case and he has to swallow his pride...will he, or does he just take his ball and go home?

In my opinion of his market is under that $15M he's almost forced to go to a win now team like the Eagles and take a "discount" in order to try to be part of a winning team in order to save face. If he just goes for the best offer and that's less than what the Steelers were offering...

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

The teams with the fattest checkbooks always get linked to the biggest ticket free agents.  The Jets have the most salary cap space so it shouldn't be surprising.  There are probably only 10 or so teams that could realistically afford Bell and not all of them have RB needs.

To me, the real question is whether Bell simply wants as much money as possible (if not then why did he hold out with the Steelers?) or if he wants to make a lot of money while going to a team where he can win.  With Darnold the Jets have a decent trajectory and hopes to become a winning team in the next 2 years or so.  But they're not a "win now" team like Indy or Houston.

oh,.. and unless we  UPgrade our OL... IT'S NOT GONNA MAKE THAT MUCH of a difference   😥

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

what we think/opine means less than nothing...

just waitin and watching

3 for 45 guaranteed put in all the other fake years, and numbers to make it look really shiny, but 3 for 45 gives you Bell’s 27, 28, and 29 year old years, and he sat out the equivalent of 2 seasons between contract and injuries to counter the work load argument.  Nothing wrong with giving RB #1, AND WR #3 because he can, and does fill both roles 15 million per from the age of 27-29 when it’s about 8% of your cap space who really can be upset with that kind of signing right now after the last 8 years of talent they have put on the field offensively at the playmaker positions 2015 aside?

• Upvote 2