Jump to content

Texans' Jadeveon Clowney: Receives non-exclusive franchise tag


nyjbuddy

Recommended Posts

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/texans-jadeveon-clowney-receives-non-exclusive-franchise-tag/

The Texans have applied the non-exclusive franchise tag on Clowney, John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports.

In the event that the Texans can't re-sign Clowney (the team's stated preference) in advance of free agency, they can match any offer sheet he receives, or alternatively acquire two first-round draft picks if they decline to do so. The No. 1 pick in the 2014 NFL Draft is coming off a 2018 campaign in which he logged 47 tackles and nine sacks in 15 games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Teams won't pay that 2 first round price tag. 

Scenario #1 Clowney taking a page from the L'veon Bell book sits out the season without signing the Tag.

Scenario #2 Houston looking to do a sign and trade with another team.... Jets? MacDaddy a former Texan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Teams won't pay that 2 first round price tag. 

Scenario #1 Clowney taking a page from the L'veon Bell book sits out the season without signing the Tag.

Scenario #2 Houston looking to do a sign and trade with another team.... Jets? MacDaddy a former Texan

Trade for what? We already don't have our 2nd this year, we're not trading draft picks + paying guys 20 million. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Trade for what? We already don't have our 2nd this year, we're not trading draft picks + paying guys 20 million. 

This.  We don't want to trade picks.  We want to use cash.  Unfortunately for the Jets, the NFL has turned into a league where you simply don't see a lot of great talents in the prime of their careers hitting FA.  You can plug a few holes with expensive, average talents in FA but that's not how you build.  This is still a world where you need to draft well to succeed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't touch Clowney for the price he's going to go for. His health is a big question mark. And there's the question of how effective he will be without Watt on the opposite side of him. Let someone else take that risk. And honestly why trade for him when you can stay at 3 and get a premium pass rusher for less than 1/3 of what Clowney would cost financially?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Unfortunately for the Jets, the NFL has turned into a league where you simply don't see a lot of great talents in the prime of their careers hitting FA.

It isn't turning into that, it has always been that way.  Before Mackey, Reggie White and others filed their suits, there was literally no player movement.  Under Plan B free agency, teams could protect 37 players on a 47 man roster, demanding compensation for the top 37.  I think Wilbur Marshall was the only protected player to change teams under the system.  Rosters were basically stagnant at top until the early 1990s. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...