NT in 3-4 defense next season?

nycdan

Pennell is gone.  Word is that McClendon is soon to be gone.  That leaves us with Leo and Shephard on the ends assuming we don't resign Henry Anderson.  But who will man the middle?  And if we draft QW, wouldn't he be another 3-4 end?  Shep is big enough to play NT but no idea if he's got the experience and skillset for it.  

The only FA out there who seems like an upgrade over McClendon is Michael Pierce from BAL.  Haven't heard much about him yet, but it seems if we're staying 3-4 then Pierce would be a priority signing for us.   Not sure if there's anyone in the draft who can likely plug in and start on day 1 that we can target on day 3.

Curious if anyone's heard anything about the NT position next year yet because it feels like a giant hole right now.

Given Williams' 4-3 background and attacking style I would guess (though it is just a guess) that the Jets won't employ a traditional NT next year and will move guys around. Wade Philips' 3-4 with the Rams last year had a depth chart that listed Michael Brockers (traditional 5-tech) at DE, Suh at NT, and Donald at DT.

I could see something like Anderson at DE with some combo of Leo and Shephard at NT and DT. There's definitely room for another DL just a matter of what kind of guy they want. I do think Leo is versatile enough to move around and Shephard is not locked into a starting role so possible they add multiple - though I can't believe the Jets haven't settled their DL yet.

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Williams has different needs on his DL in a 3-4. Smaller, attacking players rather than huge space-eaters. 

This.

McLendon 7.22% tackle rate per snap and .21% QB Hit per snap

Pennel 7.52% tackle rate per snap and .56% QB Hit per snap

Shephard 4.37% tackle rate per snap and 1.46% QB Hit per snap

Shephard might not be the run-stuffer like McLendon or Pennel, but he generated more pressure than McLendon and Pennel combined.  Seems to fit the above narrative.

1 hour ago, nyjbuddy said:

This.

Shephard might not be the run-stuffer like McLendon or Pennel, but he generated more pressure than McLendon and Pennel combined.  Seems to fit the above narrative.

Huh? Shepherd is a 3-4 DE

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think I heard somewhere that they are looking for quicker more mobile DT's which is why they released Mike Pennel

Pennel sucked and was a penalty machine.

Time to say bye bye to people like him and Buster Skrine.  We need intelligent players on D

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

Williams has different needs on his DL in a 3-4. Smaller, attacking players rather than huge space-eaters. 

Yeah, but you need someone to keep Lee clean at LB or he'll continued to be lost in the trash. You need a space eater in the same manner that Jason Ferguson kept Vilma clean in 2004. Lee needs to be clean to be free to run sideline to sideline to make tackles, otherwise he can be neutralized; the same was Vilma was once Feeguson was gone in 2005 and when Mangini switched to a 3-4. Vilma became a liability (and injured) in '06 & shipped to NOLA by '07. Lee needs a Fatty NG to be effective, otherwise trade Lee. 

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

Thanks.  I need to bone up on GWs scheme more.  So it sounds like QW would fit the model well if he's the guy.  

Or be redundant since that's the role Williams would excel in UNLESS you decide to simply replace Leo with Q and just completely waste the purpose of the #3 overall pick of improving the talent on the team instead by making a lateral move to replace a player you just lost/or about to replace. 

See 2013 - CB Dee Miliner #9 overall to replace recently traded CB Darrell Revis

4 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

This.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Huh? Shepherd is a 3-4 DE

Would have to agree. If anything, Shepherd is better built for a 3-4 DE in the lunch pail style of Rick Lyle and Anthony Pleasant from 98-2000.

Leo should be the 3Technique which makes drafting QWill redundant and if Lee is to remain at MLB in a 3-4 (he should be OLB in a 4-3 or can pass for a 4-3 MLB lite ala Vilma) he will need a fatty in front of him to be clean to make tackles. DT Folorunso Fatfukusai (6th round pick) could fill that role of space eater to free up Lee. 

Jets drafted 2 DTs in '18, 2 in '15, and have signed an avg. of 2 UFA DTs every offseason. How much more capital and resources have to be invested in this position?

9 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Would have to agree. If anything, Shepherd is better built for a 3-4 DE in the lunch pail style of Rick Lyle and Anthony Pleasant from 98-2000.

Leo should be the 3Technique which makes drafting QWill redundant and if Lee is to remain at MLB in a 3-4 (he should be OLB in a 4-3 or can pass for a 4-3 MLB lite ala Vilma) he will need a fatty in front of him to be clean to make tackles. DT Folorunso Fatfukusai (6th round pick) could fill that role of space eater to free up Lee. 

Jets drafted 2 DTs in '18, 2 in '15, and have signed an avg. of 2 UFA DTs every offseason. How much more capital and resources have to be invested in this position?

I don’t understand trying to make Shepard a Nose Tackle when he obviously is not one.  

There are free agents available out there who can start for us at Nose.  We could even resign McClendon at a 1 year deal at reasonable $

Archived