ElBarrio Mock Pre-FA Mock Offseason

ElBarrioJets

What the hell, took a shot at one of these. This is based on current figures from Over the Cap. One man's hope for the offseason, while also being realistic about what they can achieve. Feel free to tear it apart. Draft picks first, and FA signings in the roster section below. 

First, trade down with the Giants to #6. They don't have a 3rd rounder this year, but they throw in a 4th rounder this year and a 2nd next year. I know it's less than the Jets paid last year, but the Jets need picks and fast.
Trade Down with Giants for #6, 2nd Rounder, 4th Rounder, 2nd in 2020

Draft:
1. Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama

Instantly improves tackle depth and gives the Jets options for the future. 
2. Dalton Risner, G, Kansas State

Grab the best tackle/guard prospect in the draft to again, give more options up front. 
3. Jamel Dean, CB, Auburn

Depth CB with starter potential
3. Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio State

More help in the slot and over the middle for Darnold.
4. Alex Mattison, RB, Boise State

With a mostly speed backfield, Mattison is the battering ram. 
4. Foster Moreau, TE, LSU

Good athleticism, willing blocker, could be a nice #2 down the road. 
5. Josiah Tauaefa, ILB, UTSA

Need more ILB prospects
7. Take your pick

Offense: 25
QB (2): Sam + Brock iron out the depth chart this year. 
Sam Darnold
Brock Osweiler (FA)

RB (4): Coleman/McGuire split carries, Cannon continues to develop, Mattison gets more carries as the season goes on. 
Tevin Coleman (FA)
Elijah McGuire
Trenton Cannon
Alex Mattison - 4th Round

FB (1): What the hell, bring back T-Bo. 
Tommy Bohanon (FA)

WR (6): Humphries adds another possession WR who runs good routes, Burnett/McLaurin vie for slot WR time, and Roberts comes back. 
Robby Anderson (RFA)
Quincy Enunwa
Adam Humphries (FA)
Deontay Burnett
Terry McLaurin - 3rd Round
Andre Roberts (FA)

TE (3): Herdon leads the pack, Leggett should be better than he is as a #2 TE. Hopefully Moreau develops. 
Chris Herndon
Jordan Leggett
Foster Moreau - TE

OT (4): Beachum is here for one more year like it or not, Jonah will take over or man RT if Shell can't go, bring back Qvale for cheap depth. 
Kelvin Beachum
Brandon Shell
Brent Qvale (FA)
Jonah Williams - 1st Round

OG (3): Billy Turner/John Miller, I think this is a 2nd tier guard that the Jets hope is a home run. If they're a hit, Risner takes over for Winters in a year or so, if not, Risner is starting by the end of the year. 
Brian Winters
Billy Turner - FA
Dalton Risner - 2nd Round

OC (2): Morse is the big get this year, with Braden backing up at C. 
Mitch Morse (FA)
Ben Braden

Defense: 25

DT/DE (6): Williams and Anderson on the line, Mauro is a high energy backup with Shepherd, Fatukasi for goal line and an UDFA to develop. 
Leonard Williams
Henry Anderson (FA)
Josh Mauro (FA)
Nathan Shepherd
Folorunso Fatukasi
UDFA

ILB (4): Lee/Williamson for one more go, sign Kwon for run downs and possibly to take over for Lee next year, 
Darron Lee
Avery Williamson
Kwon Alexander (FA)
Josiah Tauaefa - 5th Round

OLB (5): Flowers becomes the lead rusher, Jenkins mans the strong side, Luvu continues to develop, Attaochu and Basham are brought back for depth. 
Trey Flowers - FA
Jordan Jenkins 
Frankie Luvu
Jeremiah Attaochu - FA
Tarell Basham

CB (6): Steven Nelson is the big FA get, Johnson's contract will keep him here. Buddy-Calhoun can replace Skrine, while Nicholson/Jones still have promise. Dean is your guy for the future. 
Trumaine Johnson 
Steven Nelson (FA)
Briean Buddy-Calhoun (FA)
Parry Nicholson
Derrick Jones
Jamel Dean - 3rd Round

S (4): With ERFA deals, the safety depth chart is filled out for one more year. 
Jamal Adams
Marcus Maye
Doug Middleton
Brandon Bryant

Specials (3)

K (1): What the hell, bring back Myers. 
Jason Myers (FA)

P (1): Edwards has become one of the AFC's best punters. 
Lachlan Edwards

LS (1): Mac's best trade? (Sigh)
Thomas Hennessy

13 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

"Trade Down with Giants for #6, 2nd Rounder, 4th Rounder, 2nd in 2020." 

Ya know. Hypothetical. 

I am hoping this happens. Moving down to 6 and taking J.Williams-OT would be huge, and the rest would really iron itself out in FA. You could start Williams at RT if Shell is not ready after his injury or you can kick him inside to LG and start Beachem and Shell at OT. Eventually, I think Williams will be the starting LT once Beachem is gone. 

21 hours ago, PepPep said:

I am hoping this happens. Moving down to 6 and taking J.Williams-OT would be huge, and the rest would really iron itself out in FA. You could start Williams at RT if Shell is not ready after his injury or you can kick him inside to LG and start Beachem and Shell at OT. Eventually, I think Williams will be the starting LT once Beachem is gone. 

I am really on the fence about J.Williams vs. J.Taylor.   It's starting to feel like Taylor is the top dog in the OT group.  Still some time for it to sort out though.

5 hours ago, JiF said:

I hate your draft but kind of like your FA.  Coleman is boring though.  Rather just bring back Powell. 

Fair enough. Options outside of Coleman are underwhelming and Bell just screams the classic Jets move that backfires. I love me some Powell, but his injury last year was pretty legit.

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Nice mock but hate how the RB position was handled. Don’t like Tevin Coleman and don’t like Elijah being a #2

I just don't see them getting Bell. Coleman is the best of a bad FA crop at RB, McGuire is cheap and serviceable in all the roles an RB is asked to play. That sounds like a #2 RB to me. 

6 hours ago, JiF said:

I hate your draft but kind of like your FA.  Coleman is boring though.  Rather just bring back Powell. 

Fair enough haha. I love me some Powell, but he had a major injury last year, and I'm not sure he'll be back in the stable. 

They need a steady rotation of backs, there isn't a bell cow on this team. Coleman/McGuire/Cannon/Mattison allows them to play multiple roles. 

8 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

I just don't see them getting Bell. Coleman is the best of a bad FA crop at RB, McGuire is cheap and serviceable in all the roles an RB is asked to play. That sounds like a #2 RB to me. 

Yeah but if you are going to sign Coleman then you need to draft someone like Benny Snell to share carries and be the future. There’s no future at the position by just signing Coleman.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah but if you are going to sign Coleman then you need to draft someone like Benny Snell to share carries and be the future. There’s no future at the position by just signing Coleman.

Ya I did that. Drafted Mattison in the 4th round. Actually since Snell posted a bad 40, he may be there too. Totally agree with your point though, they need to come out of this draft with a running back. 

Actually since the rumor mill is flying around about Jordan Howard, I would absolutely throw a 4th rounder Chicago's way for him. 

Archived