Debate - Bell vs Coleman

CTJetsFan

Just read a report that said Coleman is supposedly looking for 5 million per year. Have to assume Bell will want more than $13 million/per

Coleman is 2 years younger and has a lot less mileage on him even with Bell missing a lot of time due to holdout, injury & suspensions.

Coleman is a good receiving threat, but maybe not as good as Bell. Bell also has a slight advantage in career YPC.

There's always the attitude/knucklehead factor with Bell.

It just seems to be that Coleman would be the smarter play for the Jets, but I'm sure there are some that still want Bell.

Just wondering why

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coleman has yet to prove that he can even be an every down back.

And I don’t buy that he only wants $5 million a year. Why would he be seeking essentially half of what the 49ers just gave a guy like Jerick McKinnon last offseason? 

If Bell is healthy, he’s arguably the best RB in the game. Certainly Top 3.

He’s an extremely patient runner who can break it outside or between the tackles, catches the ball better than any RB since Marshall Faulk, and is adept in pass protection.

Players like Bell in their prime rarely hit the free agent market. Players like Coleman make it there every year.

No way Coleman is going to settle for $5 mil nor Bell for $13 mil. Adisa Bakari is in a great position as he has the two best free agent RBs on the market. He knows who ever strikes out on Bell will be a suitor for Coleman. Jerick McKinnon landed $7.5 mil last season. That's atleast around $9 mil this year.

1 minute ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

No way Coleman is going to settle for $5 mil nor Bell for $13 mil. Adisa Bakari is in a great position as he has the two best free agent RBs on the market. He knows who ever strikes out on Bell will be a suitor for Coleman. Jerick McKinnon landed $7.5 mil last season. That's atleast around $9 mil this year.

Ok then sign neither.  We are fine at rb with Crowell, McGuire and a draft pick

13 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Just read a report that said Coleman is supposedly looking for 5 million per year. Have to assume Bell will want more than $13 million/per

Coleman is 2 years younger and has a lot less mileage on him even with Bell missing a lot of time due to holdout, injury & suspensions.

Coleman is a good receiving threat, but maybe not as good as Bell. Bell also has a slight advantage in career YPC.

It just seems to be that Coleman would be the smarter play for the Jets, but I'm sure there are some that still want Bell.

Just wondering why

Coleman will not sign an autographed bobble head doll for $5M.  I believe that what the Jets must do, is spend big on both lines. Sign better than average WR's and Add a good back. It all starts at the line and in my opinion, every one can look great when the lines are actually doing their jobs. 

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Gurley deal looks pretty dumb right now. It always looks dumb about five minutes after somebody forgets you don't give running backs second contracts. Neither of these guys is gonna be worth the money he gets, especially if it's from us.

Why are they dumb? he is there best player . Once he got hurt Goff turned to crap 

Just now, DonCorleone said:

Coleman will not sign an autographed bobble head doll for $5M.  I believe that what the Jets must do, is spend big on both lines. Sign better than average WR's and Add a good back. It all starts at the line and in my opinion, every one can look great when the lines are actually doing their jobs. 

You might be right. So maybe his # is more like $7-$9 million and Bell $14-$15 million.

I still don't think Bell is a no-brainer

I want Tevin Coleman more than Leveon Bell and its not even close

Pros

Pass catcher

Blocker

Can function in a platoon if necessary

Not a step away from a long suspension

Cheaper

Cons

Hasnt proven to be a workhorse

Not on the same tier as Bell

At the end of the day I want Darnold throwing darts around the field, not running a lot with Bell. On top of that, allocating so much in running back is fooling in the modern NFL, especially with how much more likely it is they get injured.

12 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

And I don’t buy that he only wants $5 million a year. Why would he be seeking essentially half of what the 49ers just gave a guy like Jerick McKinnon last offseason? 

He’s an extremely patient runner who can break it outside or between the tackles, catches the ball better than any RB since Marshall Faulk, and is adept in pass protection.

Players like Bell in their prime rarely hit the free agent market. Players like Coleman make it there every year.

How many every down backs are there in the NFL? It's just not the way the position is typically managed anymore. I'd prefer Coleman and an $8M G/C over Bell. 

Just think a huge contract for a 27-year-old back will look very stupid very quickly. 

8 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Why are they dumb? he is there best player . Once he got hurt Goff turned to crap 

An argument against pushing in all your chips on a RB, no? 

24 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Just wondering why

Smarter? because he will cost less. In that sense then I get what you're saying. I don't think $5 mil is going to get him that is probably his minimum to even have his agent let him know a team is interested.

Smarter? from production standpoint, I don't think so. Coleman is a serviceable RB that you can get most years in FA or in the draft

24 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Yes to the $100 million prima Donna who got his stats because teams were constantly in nickel and dime to stop Antonio

So Coleman gets his 4.4 ypc because of Julio. It works both ways. 

If we sign Bell I will be okay with it. If we don't I won't lose my mind, but we will need to probably pair a guy like Coleman with Crowell and that money between the 2 is probably going to close to Bell's cost. Bell is pretty versatile and will be "fresh" after having a year off. If he is anything close to what he was in Pitt he's going to help this offense in more than 1 way.

I see both sides, spending money on a 27yr old RB is dumb, and that 27yr old RB is a top 5 player and the JETS have no top performers anywhere. 

Going to be an interesting next 5 days of speculation. 

I  have said this in a different Coleman thread. 

Coleman is very average. When Freeman went down, Coleman had the chance to take over and have a big year playing alongside Ryan/Julio/Sanu/Ridley and he was very average. His YPC were OK, but that was due to a couple of big runs (See Isiah Crowell). 

That doesn't mean I am opposed to Coleman, but it has to be very cheap. Something along the lines of what we gave Crowell last year. 

As for Bell, I am all over the place on him. Part of me says he is too old (For a RB), will be too expensive (for a RB) and who knows how he will play at the end of his contract when he has already proven willing to hold out an entire year if he isn't happy. Not to mention he was out an entire year so while he didn't take a beating, we don't know for sure if he is great shape. 

Personally, I rather take a flier on a couple of RBs in this rookie class. It's not a spectacular group, but I am sure 4-5 of them will emerge as better players than Coleman.

18 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Forget Bell.

Sign Coleman. Sign Ingram for a year.

Cut Crowell

Skip drafting rb’s this draft.

2020 will have a lot of good ones. Draft a stud in next year’s.

Not sure that is realistic. Mark Ingram is probably not going to a team for a 1 year deal. He'd probably just take a 1 year deal to stay in N.O.

My guess would also be that both Coleman and Ingram sign a similar deal in terms of $$$. 

39 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Just wondering why

neither.. but, if we're gonna get one... i hope we go with coleman  ?

p.s. it does NOT really matter which one we sign if we do not UPgrade our OL   ? 

9 minutes ago, Stark said:

Smarter? because he will cost less. In that sense then I get what you're saying. I don't think $5 mil is going to get him that is probably his minimum to even have his agent let him know a team is interested.

Smarter? from production standpoint, I don't think so. Coleman is a serviceable RB that you can get most years in FA or in the draft

So Coleman gets his 4.4 ypc because of Julio. It works both ways. 

If we sign Bell I will be okay with it. If we don't I won't lose my mind, but we will need to probably pair a guy like Coleman with Crowell and that money between the 2 is probably going to close to Bell's cost. Bell is pretty versatile and will be "fresh" after having a year off. If he is anything close to what he was in Pitt he's going to help this offense in more than 1 way.

I see both sides, spending money on a 27yr old RB is dumb, and that 27yr old RB is a top 5 player and the JETS have no top performers anywhere. 

Going to be an interesting next 5 days of speculation. 

When I said smarter, I was referring to cost/benefit. I don't want to pay Bell for what he was in Pitt, but for what he could be for us in the next 3-4 years. Will he give 2x the production (based on asking for about 2x more $) than Coleman could during that period? I'm not sure about that

34 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don't think he IS an every down back. I also wouldn't argue that Bell isn't a better player. Neither of those things suggest Coleman can't be useful. Bell is the ideal for all the reasons you've noted here. But if he says no, there needs to be another option. A committee approach led by Coleman and another more physical back IS a viable option. 

Take Coleman he is highly underrated cheaper only 26 years old has a lot less wear. Coleman would one of the top backs in the league if Devonte Freeman was on another team Coleman missed a few games and Freeman took over and Falcons never looked back. When Coleman has played he has look better than Freeman.

Stay away from Bell he is a cancer another Darrell Revis who will hold out next year if he has a stellar year and demand more money the guy will end up like Revis get a big contract and end up declining to where he will not be able to play. The guy is victim of having a big physical line in front of him just look at the year James connor had. Connor was an average RB and he is racking up Bell like numbers. Save the money sign Coleman with the money you save you can bring in a good OL. Let Bell fleece another team you will get the same results from Coleman who will have a chip on his shoulder looking to prove himself and wont have deal with a cancer.

My only problem with Bell is that he was out for a whole year, how good of shape is he in? That is my only question. If I were the GM for the Jets I believe Bell should take a physical before signing any type of contract. Remember, he was inactive for one year and you have to wonder how long will it take for him to be in football shape? Reason, I am saying this is because he can get hurt immediately and Bell becomes useless and a bad signing. 

Does anyone really believe Coleman is in the same ball park as Bell? Coleman is basically a younger version of Powell. Bell would be the best dual threat RB we've had in a long time, maybe ever. 

If you can't afford the filet it's one thing, but why are we settling for the cheese burger when we have Warren Buffet cash to spend? Let's go get the best offensive play maker available on the market to pair up with our young franchise QB. 

12 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

A RB who had 1200+ yards rushing and had more catches than both our starting Recievers.  I’m sure the rams are dying inside 

RBs get hurt and have the shortest careers in the NFL. Most teams have gotten away from the "workhorse" back because of the risks involved. The Rams discovered first hand that relying on a RB to carry your team can backfire in a bad way. The Jets finally have what may actually be a franchise QB. That's who you build around. An OL, some receiving options, and a RB by committee. A 27-year-old RB expecting $15M/year (he sat out rather than get paid $14M) is not a smart investment in today's NFL. 

44 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He sure hasn’t proven a thing. You couldn’t make this guy your lead back. You’d be making yourself pick RB in the draft. That’s half way filling a hole. And for what? We have money. Look at Tevin Coleman here...

3 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

If you had a choice between Bell and an awesome line, which would you pick? 

I assume you mean offensive line. If so, an awesome line. It has the potential to last longer. It will help Sam long term and bad lines can make great RBs look average while a really good line can make average RBs look a lot better.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if the Jets marketing team isn't all over CJ to "encourage" Macc to sign Bell.  Not sure Darnold and President Mal are enough to sell merchandise and keep seats filled.  I'm mean winning would help, but we all know how that goes...

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He sure hasn’t proven a thing. You couldn’t make this guy your lead back. You’d be making yourself pick RB in the draft. That’s half way filling a hole. And for what? We have money. Look at Tevin Coleman here...

Very interesting stat. Thanks for posting. Definitely a negative on the Coleman side of the ledger.

26 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

When I said smarter, I was referring to cost/benefit. I don't want to pay Bell for what he was in Pitt, but what he could be for us in the next 3-4 years. Will he give 2x the production (based on asking for about 2x more $) than Coleman could during that period? I'm not sure about that

For the cost I see and get your point.

At least in Bell's case he has shown the ability. Coleman kind of wasted his opportunity this year when he became the top RB with Freeman injured. Coleman had a pretty good receiving core this year, no? Julio, Ridley, Sanu and a solid QB. I mention this because people will use the "Steeler's Oline is amazing and he had Antonio Brown to keep Defense from playing the run". But.. Bell was one of the top RB's after contact. All in all Bell is just flat out a better player. Bell should have a solid 4 years left at least. This is when Sam is cheapest. 

Point being paying Lev Bell now would be better than when we are paying Sam $200 Mil. Gives Sam a safety net, gives Gase a playmaker, should free up some room for Robby and Q, don't forget Herndon. Its a guarantee that we address offensive line so the "offensive" line is a problem could be corrected and 2 positions maybe 3 could be addressed in FA.

C - Paradis, Morse

G - Saffold (rumored the JETS are going to persue)

RT? - Daryl Williams

LT? Trent Brown

Addressing the Oline (above) the C, G is going to help whoever is the RB. 

Just on name and performance I lean Bell, its not my money and I think he adds more to the offense than Coleman. Like I said I am not losing any sleep over this and will be fine if they don't sign Bell, but I can see where a GM and Staff would like to have this type of top performer.

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

Just wondering why

I think you ended the debate with your stated reasons.

Archived