Debate - Bell vs Coleman

CTJetsFan

This is a false perception around here
I mean why do you think that? Like I said even if you sign Bell you still have more available cap space then every other team outside of the colts. 
Hypothetically the jets can sign 2 olineman @ 10 mill a season each, bell at 15 million a season, and a pass rusher at 15 million a season and the jets would still have roughly 50 million in cap space available to spend on other areas of the roster. 
Do you realize how much 50 million in cap space is?  The Jets would still have more cap space than 26 other teams. 
So basically the jets can sign Bell, 2 olineman, and a pass rusher and still have 50 million in cap space, which would be more than 26 other teams. With the remaining 50 million you can easily fill out the rest of the roster.

“Easily” fill out the rest of the roster? Really? We’re talking about somewhere between 10-15 roster spots after those are filled (depending on who else we cut). That gives us about $3.5-5M per roster spot. That’s really not that much.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

“Easily” fill out the rest of the roster? Really? We’re talking about somewhere between 10-15 roster spots after those are filled (depending on who else we cut). That gives us about $3.5-5M per roster spot. That’s really not that much.

Dude 3.5 million is literally the average NFL salary.  So yeah you can easily fill out the rest of the roster. Especially when you consider that 5 out of those 10-15 players will be rookies.

15 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

You're absolutely right. 

Even when you look at the "good" list, someone like Zeke would also fall near the top of the "bad" list. 

I imagine that Zeke isn't on the "bad" list because he had a number of "0" yard gains.  If those "0" yard gains resulted in just 1 yard losses, Zeke would be very near to the top of the "bad" list...

...and I'm thinking people wouldn't have a problem with Zeke on the Jets.

Depends on the cost to some of these people on here, and he is talented, something a lot of people do not seem to want on the Jets. Bell is twice the RB that Coleman is and if you can't see that you shouldn't be commenting on here. We have the money to sign him so go get him, he will help Sam out immensely. Lets start getting some real talent here instead of more JAGs.

12 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

If $14 mil a year is being signed "on the cheap" then hell SIGN ME UP. He lost $14 mil last year and will NEVER get that money back. That's why he's a knucklehead. I simply don't trust him to be even close to the $$ he'll be getting going forward.

And the money lost last season is on him, was worth it to him to save his body and make whatever stand he was making.  But thats not a knucklehead who you dont want inside your locker.

You know his Steeler teammates ransacked his locker, took his shoes etc.  Came out and said some things about him that normally stay inside the locker room and he stayed quiet.  Could have returned fire but took the high road and said little or nothing.  

Have no idea whats to trust money wise, he plays hard

23 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Somebody explain this twitter speak:

Bell was asking Weddle, Landon Collins, Honey Badger and a few others what team they were trying to go to. Adams says this isn’t the NBA, y’all can’t be making super teams. Bell then responds but you wouldn’t mind if a few of us came to New York. Jamal then puts the emoji for sipping tea and minding his business(meaning he would love them to come but is shutting his mouth) then Bell is basically responding with “that’s what I thought lol.”

and that will do it for today’s lesson in Millennial translation.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And the money lost last season is on him, was worth it to him to save his body and make whatever stand he was making.  But thats not a knucklehead who you dont want inside your locker.

You know his Steeler teammates ransacked his locker, took his shoes etc.  Came out and said some things about him that normally stay inside the locker room and he stayed quiet.  Could have returned fire but took the high road and said little or nothing.  

Have no idea whats to trust money wise, he plays hard

IMHO this speaks volumes as to what kind of team mate he is. Big red flag to me.

18 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

This is the key.  It’s not about Bell bringing us glory.  It’s not about whether, generally speaking, giving a second contract to a RB is wise. 

It’s about Darnold.  We get Bell and Darnolds odds of becoming an elite franchise quarterback increase.  

Coleman doesn’t move the needle.  

Exactly. Who cares what he costs and if he's not the same player.  If he's 80% of what he was, that's HUGE for Darnold.  You cant put a price on that and besides, signing Bell doesnt prevent the Jets from anything.  They have a ton of cap and it keeps going up every year and any GM worth his salt can moves things around and make it work.  You're not signing Bell because you're making a Super Bowl run, this team is far from that, you're signing him so the offense doesnt fall directly on Sam Darnold's feet at 22 years old like it did last year.  You're signing him to help keep the offense respectable as you develop your franchise QB.

This isnt about what's best for the Jets.  The Jets suck.  Not 1 player is going to change that.  This is about what it does for Sam Darnold, which is the only thing that really matters in Jets land.  There isnt 1 player available in FA or the draft who can help Sam more and that's why you sign Bell.

22 hours ago, kelly said:

neither.. but, if we're gonna get one... i hope we go with coleman  ?

p.s. it does NOT really matter which one we sign if we do not UPgrade our OL   ? 

Tevin Coleman is cheaper, but Jets should still break the bank for Le'Veon Bell                  https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/07/tevin-coleman-is-cheaper-but-jets-should-still-break-the-bank-for-leveon-bell/ via @thejetswire 

there should be no debate if you think coleman is a better option you know nothing about football

bell is one of the leagues top backs without question

Coleman is a jag and when given the change to fill in for a hurt freeman last year he was TERRIBLE

he had about 12 games below 50 yards last year and a few below ten when he was "the guy"

my fear is our gm thought hackenburg was worth a second round pick-he has zero idea of how to judge talent -his entire roster that he built is bad-the only ray of hope is sam and he was handed to the jets only after our gm wanted to overpay for cousins which most fans knew would not be a good signing

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Bell was asking Weddle, Landon Collins, Honey Badger and a few others what team they were trying to go to. Adams says this isn’t the NBA, y’all can’t be making super teams. Bell then responds but you wouldn’t mind if a few of us came to New York. Jamal then puts the emoji for sipping tea and minding his business(meaning he would love them to come but is shutting his mouth) then Bell is basically responding with “that’s what I thought lol.”

Sounds to me like Bell has a "Safety fetish"?

50 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

IMHO this speaks volumes as to what kind of team mate he is. Big red flag to me.

Really?  A couple of players open their mouths and that's more enlightening compared to not responding and acting like the adult in the room?

There's no red flag, they complained that he wasn't playing, his contract talks, not that he was a POS. 

Bell would be Darnolds best weapon, his best chance of quick improvement and success.  He'd not only be easily our top runner since who knows when but our best receiver.  He'd be invaluable to a developing QB. 

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Jamal is the thirstiest hanger-on in the NFL. I love how Bell doesn’t actually include him in any of it, but ends up saying, “sure you can hang out with us, too.” 

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is hilarious. Your translation was both needed and spot on. You sound like a professional translator for our new illiterate society. You are the official translator from now on. 

36 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really?  A couple of players open their mouths and that's more enlightening compared to not responding and acting like the adult in the room?

There's no red flag, they complained that he wasn't playing, his contract talks, not that he was a POS. 

Bell would be Darnolds best weapon, his best chance of quick improvement and success.  He'd not only be easily our top runner since who knows when but our best receiver.  He'd be invaluable to a developing QB. 

For one of the few times here we'll have to agree to disagree. ;-)

23 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Gurley deal looks pretty dumb right now. It always looks dumb about five minutes after somebody forgets you don't give running backs second contracts. Neither of these guys is gonna be worth the money he gets, especially if it's from us.

No one pays running backs anymore unless you want to get burned

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

bring in bell who will be our next curtis martin / tomlinson

hall of famers dont grow on trees and it is not a "savings" with coleman when  your return on investment is terrible

I usually buy the expired moldy bread because it's half the price of the fresh stuff. Allows me to buy way more rotten milk.

the Jets need to sign Leveon Bell there is no excuse. First off, we have 100+ mil in cap space. You can sign him and still other OL,DL. Secondly, Darnold is in his rookie deal so they have the luxury of spending some $ for RB even if they end up over paying. Third, Bell is still in his prime years and took a year off which is big cause he has less wear and tare on his body. Probably resulting in playing an extra NFL season. Fourth off, even if he is rusty this season he is a huge threat to opposing defenses, just his prescence on the field is a threat in itself. Plus i bet Bell as a rusty back is better than majority of RBs in league. Fifth, we dont have a true weapon on offense. Robbie Anderson looks like he could potentially be...but thats about it. And finally, Leveon Bell was second to AB in the 2017 season in receiving yards on the Steelers. That is an amazing statistic. 

Bottomline signing Leveon Bell makes our team so much more dangerous. The Jets need to pull the trigger and be aggressive. Sick of this organization worrying about the “future” and being conservative. The time is now...

oh yea and Leveon Bell’s favorite RB was Curtis Martin growing up ;) https://www.google.com/amp/s/jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/03/20/leveon-bell-idol-was-former-jets-hall-of-fame-rb-curtis-martin/amp/

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This is hilarious. Your translation was both needed and spot on. You sound like a professional translator for our new illiterate society. You are the official translator from now on. 

lol well I am a 22 year old millennial so definitely probably qualified go read this hieroglyphic-like jibberish.

15 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Dude 3.5 million is literally the average NFL salary.  So yeah you can easily fill out the rest of the roster. Especially when you consider that 5 out of those 10-15 players will be rookies.

And a percentage of that number will be players under the 3.5 million range per year.

One thing though is we can't forget the importance of role players on a good football team. Blocking, Special teams, Team Depth .... In 09-10 the Jets had a great defense and a stout running game. To cut costs we cut some role players from that roster that were instrumental at blocking for the running game. They did not look like bad cuts at the time but they certainly hurt the team in the long run. Was it Hartsock who was a tremendous blocker that the Jets decided to let go via FA and the running game certainly suffered. I can't remember the names because most of these guys are no names but they do contribute in a big way and should not be over looked. I think we also cut a few players this year that were big on the ST units I would hate to see that aspect of our team take a step back

On 3/6/2019 at 3:34 PM, Stark said:

Freeman and Coleman have similar YPC, Smith is the 3rd back you expect a drop. 

there's no argument with the premise Bell > Coleman

I am not saying Coleman is better then Bell. Smith was the second back this yr due to freemans injury, and they were high on him and still are. with the cap and smith it is one of the reasons why coleman is being let go to shop the market.

Archived