Browns release Jamie Collins

nyjbuddy

2 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Another ex-Patriot that couldn't cut it elsewhere.

In fairness, not that I want him but he had his 2nd highest tackle and sacks totals of his career last season,  hardly a stud player so 

He had decent stats with the Browns, but this is a cap move.

Like a lot of players in the NFL, once he got his payday, his interest and his play dropped.

A motivated Jamie Collins is one of the most talented players in the league, but I’m not sure if he is still that interested.  Could be an interesting player if we got him on a one year prove it deal.

4 minutes ago, Ghost said:

100%. 17 million for Flowers? I wouldn’t come near him or that offensive tackle. 

imo it's a little short sighted to completely reject any player because they were on the patsies.  i don't see many players that duplicate their previous success with their next team.  some do some don't.  some move on when they get their payday.  with regard to flowers and brown, they should be looked at.  this is their chance for a payday and that has to be a consideration.  will they reach a comfort zone and mail it in like wilky?  hard to say.  with regard to collins, he has a ton of talent but maybe has some issues.  i think he had an issue with the cops when he was with the patsies but cleveland gave him a good contract for some reason and it looks like he didn't mail it in.  i think he should be worth a look.  he could be a decent edge rusher.

13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Exactly why u dont touch flowers or anyone the patriots are willing to let go.

Flowers to me is an exception, like chandler jones.  Flowers will be a good player wherever he winds up.

Collins was dumped by the Pats because he dint play within the system, constantly free lanced, and wasn't coachable.  All good reasons to be let go by a team that values those things more then someone being a good individual player.

17 hours ago, Hael said:

Like a lot of players in the NFL, once he got his payday, his interest and his play dropped.

A motivated Jamie Collins is one of the most talented players in the league, but I’m not sure if he is still that interested.  Could be an interesting player if we got him on a one year prove it deal.

I remember people saying at the time they signed him that the Browns overpaid for him. This IS a cap move and I would consider a one year "prove it" deal with us.

17 hours ago, Hael said:

Promote Neville Hewitt to top of the depth chart, cut Lee and sign either Collins or Kiko Alonso

17 hours ago, Hael said:

lol, what?  They have $81M in cap space and their QB and pass rusher are both on their rookie deals.

Players play hard so they can get that second big contract. Once they have accomplished their goal and they get paid what is their incentive to play as hard as they did earlier in their career? Its only human nature. Once you get paid you can slack. It takes a special player to get that second big contract and play as hard and as good as before the contract - there are some. The Patriots know who these players are that will keep producing and they get them signed. The others that they know will take the money and most likely tank they let go. Flowers just won 2 superbowls the past 3 years. He's averaging 7 sacks a season for a team that is always ahead so other teams are passing trying to catch up. He was a 4th round pick so he's really looking for the money. I just don't see him being highly motivated to keep producing at his highest level once he gets paid and he has 2 rings in his pocket. Sure we could use him but buyer beware - don't even come close to overpaying for this player.

22 hours ago, section314 said:

Apart from the $, is this guy really any better than Henry Anderson?

He’s a lot more versatile. I think Flowers will actually play good wherever he goes, but he will not live up the ridiculous contact he’s going to get. 

On 3/6/2019 at 6:23 PM, Hael said:

He will go back to Pats for 2/3rds the money, a Superbowl and make the Pro Bowl.

4 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

They went 11-5 with a QB named Matt Cassel.  

And missed the playoffs a year after going 16-0 against a much tougher schedule.  That same QB would lead KC to the playoffs two years later. 

The NE dynasty is all about Brady.  

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

And missed the playoffs a year after going 16-0 against a much tougher schedule.  That same QB would lead KC to the playoffs two years later. 

The NE dynasty is all about Brady.  

Once Brady retires Belichick will be sprinting out of Foxboro

Archived