My 2019 Natural DE In The NFL Draft.

Tony The Wiz

So Jet Fans I have done the DT evaluations and they are the run stoppers and up the middle disruptors. But now I am going to Evaluate The Defensive Ends. The famous position that included the likes of Deacon Jones, Bruce Smith, Carl Eller, Fred Dean, Richard Dent, Howie Long and Michael Strahan. All Hall of Famers . But also the position of two of the most famous Jets in Marty Lyons and one of my favorites in Mark Gastineau. But before I list my players let me explain that I have two groups that I will separate on two list. This one will be traditional DE and the 2nd list will be DE/LB for a 3/4 Defense. So here I go. Thanks guys. 

1. NICK BOSA - OHIO ST. -  You can't have enough pass rushers and he is number 1 on this list and will be the 2nd Pick in the Draft. He is probably even happier that he beat his brothers Forty time by .07 seconds. Nick had a 4.79 while Joey had a 4.86.  

2.   CLELIN FERRELL - CLEMSON- Nothing to say but he will be a Top 15 PICK. We all know how good he is. 

3.  RASHAN GARY - MICHIGAN -  The number 1 high school recruit in 2016. Didn't dominate when he was in Michigan and that is troubling. Seemed like he was always in and out of the lineup because of injury. But I do say I think he was playing out of position being in the middle. I see him as a DE in a 3/4 Defense. So he goes to the combine being a little lighter at 277LBS and he runs an incredible 4.58 Forty. I watched some defensive backs running in the 4.5's like the award winning DB Deandre Baker who ran .05 faster carrying 193 LBS. And beside that his Vertical is 38, at this weight, and he benches 26 reps. Yeah he is also freak of nature.    TOP 15 PICK  Would have him TOP 5 PICK but his production and injuries concern me.

4. JAYLEN FERGUSON - LOUSIANNA TECH - HE Broke the Sack Record in College and I watched the game and afterward he still wanted to play. That just showed me who this guy is. He is 6:5 259LBS and we know he will come to a camp with 15 more pounds of muscle. He will be a find for someone. He is MID 1ST ROUND TALENT who will probably go late 1 or real early 2 in the draft.

5. ZACH ALLEN - BOSTON COLLEGE - I watched this player more times than you can say the NFL protects Tom Brady. This is a player that does not take a down off. He is go go go. He was compared to a smaller version of J.J.Watt.  At 6:4 281 LBS he will put on a few more pounds of muscle and be a typical strong quick 290 LB DE. This year he was getting doubled teamed and his production went down. But last year these were his stats.  47 Solos and 53 assists and 15.5 for a loss and 4 sacks and an interception. So yes this player is a football player.    A Solid early to Mid 2nd Round Grade.    He probably get picked between the mid to late 2nd. And that will be a bargain for a team. 

6. ANTHONY NELSON - IOWA - Watched Iowa many times this year and they had bookend DE who rushed the QB all year round. Nelson was a typical big DE who can move but also stop the run. He is 6:7 and 271 LBS but we know he will bulk up to around 290 or so. He is more athletic than you think and he showed it at the Combine running a 4.82 and a 35.5 Vertical. But he needs to get stronger.  This year Mr. Nelson had 23 Solo and 22 assist but he had a nice 13.5 tackles for loss with 9.5 Sacks.  Mr. Nelson for me has a Mid to Late 2nd Round grade. He will most likely land in the 3rd round.

7.  AUSTIN BRYANT - CLEMSON - My next three picks are bunch together. I went back and forth to say who was 6 and who was 8. So I had to go back to the tape and watch Bryant play. You know you forget how good he is because of the other 3 players. You will never see what we saw at Clemson with this Defensive Line again in College. Not all 4 of them. His first step is so quick and at 6:4 271 LBS he is going to need to gain some more weight and strength and he will then become an NFL terror. He had 15 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks. We saw what he can be with his dominate performance in this years Cotton Bowl and he was playing with a nagging injury for the better part of the year. The reason he didn't perform at the Combine.   Mid to Late 2nd Round Grade.  

8.  SHAREEF MILLER - PENN ST. - Another one of my favorite players who never takes a down off. Just like Zach Allen he is all Energy. Now he is a tweener and could play in the 3/4 but I really like him as a DE because of that speed around the OT. He plays at 6:4 259 and I could see him bulking up to 272 and still have that speed. His Forty was fast at 4.69 but only a 29.5 Vertical. That is one reason I like him at the DE instead of LB. He had 25 Solo tackles this year and 15 for a loss and 7:5 sacks.  Late 2nd Round Grade.  Will be picked in the mid to late 3rd round.

9. CHARLES OMENIHU - TEXAS - Watched a lot of Texas games and this guy just gets better. At the Senior Bowl, Drew Lock the QB said he was the player that keeps on hitting him and how impressed he was. HE IS MY RISER. He is getting beter and better. So he comes to the NFL Combine to show his skills and he does by posting a nice 4.92 Forty at 280LBS but his Vertical was an impressive 36.5. Now being 6:5 he will add some weigth and muscle on and I could easily see him at 292 and being a dominate force. And let us look at what he did this year for Texas. And now remember, who else is on his line to help him? No where near what Clemson had or even Penn St.  His stats...........33 Solo,18 tackles for loss and 9.5 Sacks.    He will be a steal if he last to the 4th Round.   I give him a Mid Third Round Grade but rising to a Mid 2nd.

10.  JOE JACKSON - MIAMI - Now Mr. Jackson is not far behind these last three DE. In fact he is right on their tail. He is a tenacious pass rusher who at Miami wanted to wear the Golden Chain by forcing and recovering a turnover. Put on the tape and you see his QB stalking. He is got nice size at 6:4 275 Lbs, and I loved his stats for tackles for loss and sacks, but he has to also learn to not overrun the play and not let the running back go right by him. Also at the combine he didn't run his Forty and had an unimpressive Vertical for a 6:4 athlete with a 27".  And he needs to get a little stronger with a 22 reps on the weights. I see him getting in the weight room and putting on 12 LBS of muscle. I got him going in the early 4th round. But if he has a good pro day and build up some strength he could move up.  Early 4th Round Grade but can get better. Pro Day. 

11. JOHN COMINSKY - CHARLESTON - Now this Player really intersts me. I have to be honest I read many articles on players from different divisions as I watched the Division 3 Championship as well as Division 2 games on ESPN 3. And I love the FCS Football or when it was called Division 1AA, but I never heard of this player until the Combine. This reminds me when I first seen Mark Gastineau in the Hula Bowl.  But today you can try to go to youtube, and wow I got 1 minute of tape, and I read his story how he was a QB and built him into what he is today. A RAW DEFENSIVE END.  But watching him in this Combine it just looks like he belongs and in fact excells.  His 10 yard split was 1.62" compared to Nick Bosa 1.60.  O.K!!  Look he is no Nick Bosa. But that was impressive. He ran that Forty in 4.69 at 286 LBS. Now that is as impressive as Gary. Bosa did a 4.79 at 266LBS. Some team needs to draft this guy and mold him.                      RISER     ? Round Grade

12. MAX CROSBY - EASTERN MICHIGAN - Go to the tape. Simple as that. He has a motor that doesn't stop running. I love players who perform on the field and then goes to the combine and looks and performs great.  First lets look at his size. He is 6:5 and 255LBS and runs a 4:66 so if he works out in the weight room and adds 25 pounds of strength and muscle, you have a nice 280LBS DE. And if you lose .15 of a second off that time you still running a 4.81.. Now let us see his stats this year. 31 Solo Tackles and he assisted 39 others and an impressive 18 tackles for loss with 7.5 Sacks. Oh did I mention his Vertical of 36' and a long jump of 122'. Impressive.    4th Round    But looks and feel like an Early 3rd round grade. 

13. JALEN JENKS - OREGON -  It really amazes me how many quality DE and DE/LB that is in this Draft. This is a draft you want to have 10 draft picks. Look at this player and just watch his tape. At Oregon he looks lanky but his quickness and surprising power is so impressive. Look I would of moved him up but the slow 40 just could not let me do it. And his Verical for his height was little under aveage and 19 reps at his weight of 256LBS again was just alright. But he looks so much more athletic on the football field. He did have 30 solo tackles and 26 assist and 7.5 tacles for loss and 3.5 sacks.        Give me a better Pro Day Jalen. And put some muscle on that 6:5 frame and become the athletic freak you can be. You have the burst.    Late 4TH to 5TH Round Grade 

14. L.J. COLLIER - TCU -  I watched him much this year and I see burst of speed. He does need to get stronger as his body is just too soft. But I see passion when he plays. And he has been coached up by the best defensive head coach in the game.....................Garry Paterson. Sorry Mr. Nick Saban you are number 2. Mr. Collier is already 6.2 and 283LBS. I could see him gaining 20 LBS and getting in better shape and either moving inside and be a 300LB DT or be a 300 DE in a 3/4 defense. He did run a nice 4.91 at this weight and his Vertical was good at 30. And he did bench 25 reps. But I see him getting stronger when he gets to an NFL camp.   6th Round Grade

14. CORBIN KAUFUSI -BYU -  Well Corbin was not invited to the Combine but he is a typical big DE. At 6.9 it is hard to throw over him and he can leap since I used to watch him play basketball for his college. So we know he is athletic. Being 6.9 and 275 LBS there is much room for extra weight and muscle. He should be a 300LB DE on a 3/4 Defense. Because he is now only concentrating on football I see him improving when going to a team. I really like him. He gave Wisconsin fits when they play BYU. 7Th Round Grade

15. JONATHAN LEDBETTER - GEORGIA - A nice player, who after watching the SEC learned he was a great guy and team player. He will get onto an NFL team and see if he can develop. My advice for him is gain some weight and some muscle and switch to DT. At 6:4 and 280LBS he has room to be a 300 or + defensive tackle. He just doesn't have the quickness to be a DE.  And the Combine showed it by his real slow 5.14 Forty and 26.5 Vertical. And doing 22 reps at 225 is all right but he can improve on that.  7th Round Grade

THANK YOU AGAIN JET FANS   

But before I let you go I like to give you a REAL SLEEPER that needs to get a chance by a Pro Team.

I Watched the Division 3 Championship Series and I watch this team Wisconsin Whitewater, and I tell you, they have a DE who is 6.1 and 255 LBS that first step is as quick as any in Division 1.  His name is  HARRY HENSCHLER, and he was named First Team All American in about 5 different catogories, and was nominated for the Cliff Harris award that is given to the most outstanding small college football player.  He wears number 54, and he just reminded me of The Cowboys Randy White.  I know I must be crazy, since it is division 3, but we have seen division 3 players make it in the NFL. He is worth a look..  

Marty Lyons played DT

Klecko was the other 4-3 DE opposite Gastineau.  

So if Boss was available so the Jets pass because they say they are running a 3-4?

I think they said that because they expect Bosa to be gone at Allen to be available. 

Hot take: Nick Bosa will be a bust.

Injury prone.

His status has been the product of hype and his brothers success.

But he ran .07 faster than his brother!  He also ran JUST .04 seconds faster than Q. Williams, who is what....50 pounds heavier?

His college stats are at best, average.....oh...but he was rotational player in 2016 and 2017 and only played 3 games in 2018?  But...if he was such a beast, why was he a rotational player?

He was on pace for 20+ sacks in 2018 before he got hurt!  

Yeah, but one, he got hurt and two, those sacks came against the mighty Rutgers, Oregon St. and TCU.  Rutgers and Oregon St. were two of the ten WORST teams in college football last year.

If he wasn't Joey's brother, there is no way he'd be the first pick in the draft.

#bosabust

22 hours ago, BCJet said:

We met with Zach Allen which is nice, in case we trade back, but will likely miss out on a perfect, lunch pail, 3 down player who will probably wind up with the Pats

I have liked Zach Allen alot. He is going to get stronger and I see a J.J. Watt kind of player. 

On 3/7/2019 at 7:48 AM, IndianaJet said:

Injury prone.

But he ran .07 faster than his brother!  He also ran JUST .04 seconds faster than Q. Williams, who is what....50 pounds heavier?

His college stats are at best, average.....oh...but he was rotational player in 2016 and 2017 and only played 3 games in 2018?  But...if he was such a beast, why was he a rotational player?

Yeah, but one, he got hurt and two, those sacks came against the mighty Rutgers, Oregon St. and TCU.  Rutgers and Oregon St. were two of the ten WORST teams in college football last year.

If he wasn't Joey's brother, there is no way he'd be the first pick in the draft.

#bosabust

a lot of truth here.  when you think about it, hack was a decent college qb his first season and then got worse.  what if he had sat out a couple of seasons before he was drafted?  i know this is an extreme comparison but bosa hasn't played a game in a very long time.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, cleats1 said:

But before I let you go I like to give you a REAL SLEEPER that needs to get a chance by a Pro Team.

I Watched the Division 3 Championship Series and I watch this team Wisconsin Whitewater, and I tell you, they have a DE who is 6.1 and 255 LBS that first step is as quick as any in Division 1.  His name is  HARRY HENSCHLER, and he was named First Team All American in about 5 different catogories, and was nominated for the Cliff Harris award that is given to the most outstanding small college football player.  He wears number 54, and he just reminded me of The Cowboys Randy White.  I know I must be crazy, since it is division 3, but we have seen division 3 players make it in the NFL. He is worth a look.. 

I watched the video, he does look good albeit you have to weigh his competition.  I do like that he has a few different pass rushing moves, I like how he holds up the blocker & pushes him nto the runner then sheds him to make the tackle... I also like his assignment discipline when playing the sweep... I'd give him a shot... nice find & good post.

On 3/7/2019 at 3:10 AM, Tony The Wiz said:

So Jet Fans I have done the DT evaluations and they are the run stoppers and up the middle disruptors. But now I am going to Evaluate The Defensive Ends. The famous position that included the likes of Deacon Jones, Bruce Smith, Carl Eller, Fred Dean, Richard Dent, Howie Long and Michael Strahan. All Hall of Famers . But also the position of two of the most famous Jets in Marty Lyons and one of my favorites in Mark Gastineau. But before I list my players let me explain that I have two groups that I will separate on two list. This one will be traditional DE and the 2nd list will be DE/LB for a 3/4 Defense. So here I go. Thanks guys. 

1. NICK BOSA - OHIO ST. -  You can't have enough pass rushers and he is number 1 on this list and will be the 2nd Pick in the Draft. He is probably even happier that he beat his brothers Forty time by .07 seconds. Nick had a 4.79 while Joey had a 4.86.  

2.   CLELIN FERRELL - CLEMSON- Nothing to say but he will be a Top 15 PICK. We all know how good he is. 

3.  RASHAN GARY - MICHIGAN -  The number 1 high school recruit in 2016. Didn't dominate when he was in Michigan and that is troubling. Seemed like he was always in and out of the lineup because of injury. But I do say I think he was playing out of position being in the middle. I see him as a DE in a 3/4 Defense. So he goes to the combine being a little lighter at 277LBS and he runs an incredible 4.58 Forty. I watched some defensive backs running in the 4.5's like the award winning DB Deandre Baker who ran .05 faster carrying 193 LBS. And beside that his Vertical is 38, at this weight, and he benches 26 reps. Yeah he is also freak of nature.    TOP 15 PICK  Would have him TOP 5 PICK but his production and injuries concern me.

4. JAYLEN FERGUSON - LOUSIANNA TECH - HE Broke the Sack Record in College and I watched the game and afterward he still wanted to play. That just showed me who this guy is. He is 6:5 259LBS and we know he will come to a camp with 15 more pounds of muscle. He will be a find for someone. He is MID 1ST ROUND TALENT who will probably go late 1 or real early 2 in the draft.

5. ZACH ALLEN - BOSTON COLLEGE - I watched this player more times than you can say the NFL protects Tom Brady. This is a player that does not take a down off. He is go go go. He was compared to a smaller version of J.J.Watt.  At 6:4 281 LBS he will put on a few more pounds of muscle and be a typical strong quick 290 LB DE. This year he was getting doubled teamed and his production went down. But last year these were his stats.  47 Solos and 53 assists and 15.5 for a loss and 4 sacks and an interception. So yes this player is a football player.    A Solid early to Mid 2nd Round Grade.    He probably get picked between the mid to late 2nd. And that will be a bargain for a team. 

6. ANTHONY NELSON - IOWA - Watched Iowa many times this year and they had bookend DE who rushed the QB all year round. Nelson was a typical big DE who can move but also stop the run. He is 6:7 and 271 LBS but we know he will bulk up to around 290 or so. He is more athletic than you think and he showed it at the Combine running a 4.82 and a 35.5 Vertical. But he needs to get stronger.  This year Mr. Nelson had 23 Solo and 22 assist but he had a nice 13.5 tackles for loss with 9.5 Sacks.  Mr. Nelson for me has a Mid to Late 2nd Round grade. He will most likely land in the 3rd round.

7.  AUSTIN BRYANT - CLEMSON - My next three picks are bunch together. I went back and forth to say who was 6 and who was 8. So I had to go back to the tape and watch Bryant play. You know you forget how good he is because of the other 3 players. You will never see what we saw at Clemson with this Defensive Line again in College. Not all 4 of them. His first step is so quick and at 6:4 271 LBS he is going to need to gain some more weight and strength and he will then become an NFL terror. He had 15 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks. We saw what he can be with his dominate performance in this years Cotton Bowl and he was playing with a nagging injury for the better part of the year. The reason he didn't perform at the Combine.   Mid to Late 2nd Round Grade.  

8.  SHAREEF MILLER - PENN ST. - Another one of my favorite players who never takes a down off. Just like Zach Allen he is all Energy. Now he is a tweener and could play in the 3/4 but I really like him as a DE because of that speed around the OT. He plays at 6:4 259 and I could see him bulking up to 272 and still have that speed. His Forty was fast at 4.69 but only a 29.5 Vertical. That is one reason I like him at the DE instead of LB. He had 25 Solo tackles this year and 15 for a loss and 7:5 sacks.  Late 2nd Round Grade.  Will be picked in the mid to late 3rd round.

9. CHARLES OMENIHU - TEXAS - Watched a lot of Texas games and this guy just gets better. At the Senior Bowl, Drew Lock the QB said he was the player that keeps on hitting him and how impressed he was. HE IS MY RISER. He is getting beter and better. So he comes to the NFL Combine to show his skills and he does by posting a nice 4.92 Forty at 280LBS but his Vertical was an impressive 36.5. Now being 6:5 he will add some weigth and muscle on and I could easily see him at 292 and being a dominate force. And let us look at what he did this year for Texas. And now remember, who else is on his line to help him? No where near what Clemson had or even Penn St.  His stats...........33 Solo,18 tackles for loss and 9.5 Sacks.    He will be a steal if he last to the 4th Round.   I give him a Mid Third Round Grade but rising to a Mid 2nd.

10.  JOE JACKSON - MIAMI - Now Mr. Jackson is not far behind these last three DE. In fact he is right on their tail. He is a tenacious pass rusher who at Miami wanted to wear the Golden Chain by forcing and recovering a turnover. Put on the tape and you see his QB stalking. He is got nice size at 6:4 275 Lbs, and I loved his stats for tackles for loss and sacks, but he has to also learn to not overrun the play and not let the running back go right by him. Also at the combine he didn't run his Forty and had an unimpressive Vertical for a 6:4 athlete with a 27".  And he needs to get a little stronger with a 22 reps on the weights. I see him getting in the weight room and putting on 12 LBS of muscle. I got him going in the early 4th round. But if he has a good pro day and build up some strength he could move up.  Early 4th Round Grade but can get better. Pro Day. 

11. JOHN COMINSKY - CHARLESTON - Now this Player really intersts me. I have to be honest I read many articles on players from different divisions as I watched the Division 3 Championship as well as Division 2 games on ESPN 3. And I love the FCS Football or when it was called Division 1AA, but I never heard of this player until the Combine. This reminds me when I first seen Mark Gastineau in the Hula Bowl.  But today you can try to go to youtube, and wow I got 1 minute of tape, and I read his story how he was a QB and built him into what he is today. A RAW DEFENSIVE END.  But watching him in this Combine it just looks like he belongs and in fact excells.  His 10 yard split was 1.62" compared to Nick Bosa 1.60.  O.K!!  Look he is no Nick Bosa. But that was impressive. He ran that Forty in 4.69 at 286 LBS. Now that is as impressive as Gary. Bosa did a 4.79 at 266LBS. Some team needs to draft this guy and mold him.                      RISER     ? Round Grade

12. MAX CROSBY - EASTERN MICHIGAN - Go to the tape. Simple as that. He has a motor that doesn't stop running. I love players who perform on the field and then goes to the combine and looks and performs great.  First lets look at his size. He is 6:5 and 255LBS and runs a 4:66 so if he works out in the weight room and adds 25 pounds of strength and muscle, you have a nice 280LBS DE. And if you lose .15 of a second off that time you still running a 4.81.. Now let us see his stats this year. 31 Solo Tackles and he assisted 39 others and an impressive 18 tackles for loss with 7.5 Sacks. Oh did I mention his Vertical of 36' and a long jump of 122'. Impressive.    4th Round    But looks and feel like an Early 3rd round grade. 

13. JALEN JENKS - OREGON -  It really amazes me how many quality DE and DE/LB that is in this Draft. This is a draft you want to have 10 draft picks. Look at this player and just watch his tape. At Oregon he looks lanky but his quickness and surprising power is so impressive. Look I would of moved him up but the slow 40 just could not let me do it. And his Verical for his height was little under aveage and 19 reps at his weight of 256LBS again was just alright. But he looks so much more athletic on the football field. He did have 30 solo tackles and 26 assist and 7.5 tacles for loss and 3.5 sacks.        Give me a better Pro Day Jalen. And put some muscle on that 6:5 frame and become the athletic freak you can be. You have the burst.    Late 4TH to 5TH Round Grade 

14. L.J. COLLIER - TCU -  I watched him much this year and I see burst of speed. He does need to get stronger as his body is just too soft. But I see passion when he plays. And he has been coached up by the best defensive head coach in the game.....................Garry Paterson. Sorry Mr. Nick Saban you are number 2. Mr. Collier is already 6.2 and 283LBS. I could see him gaining 20 LBS and getting in better shape and either moving inside and be a 300LB DT or be a 300 DE in a 3/4 defense. He did run a nice 4.91 at this weight and his Vertical was good at 30. And he did bench 25 reps. But I see him getting stronger when he gets to an NFL camp.   6th Round Grade

14. CORBIN KAUFUSI -BYU -  Well Corbin was not invited to the Combine but he is a typical big DE. At 6.9 it is hard to throw over him and he can leap since I used to watch him play basketball for his college. So we know he is athletic. Being 6.9 and 275 LBS there is much room for extra weight and muscle. He should be a 300LB DE on a 3/4 Defense. Because he is now only concentrating on football I see him improving when going to a team. I really like him. He gave Wisconsin fits when they play BYU. 7Th Round Grade

15. JONATHAN LEDBETTER - GEORGIA - A nice player, who after watching the SEC learned he was a great guy and team player. He will get onto an NFL team and see if he can develop. My advice for him is gain some weight and some muscle and switch to DT. At 6:4 and 280LBS he has room to be a 300 or + defensive tackle. He just doesn't have the quickness to be a DE.  And the Combine showed it by his real slow 5.14 Forty and 26.5 Vertical. And doing 22 reps at 225 is all right but he can improve on that.  7th Round Grade

THANK YOU AGAIN JET FANS   

Good stuff!  Thank you!

On 3/7/2019 at 5:58 AM, varjet said:

Marty Lyons played DT

Klecko was the other 4-3 DE opposite Gastineau.  

So if Boss was available so the Jets pass because they say they are running a 3-4?

I think they said that because they expect Bosa to be gone at Allen to be available. 

Funny thing Lyons was the only 1st rd pick on the Sack exchange and never made a Pro Bowl, while 2nd rd and 6th rd picks Mark and Joe made Pro Bowls and All Pro quite a few times.. As we know all to well being a 1st rd pick just gets you more money as a  rookie not that you will be good in the Pro's..

On 3/7/2019 at 7:48 AM, IndianaJet said:

Injury prone.

#bosabust

Yeah I don't get it. This guys isn't going to work out imo. Mediocre athletic profile + injury history not a great profile for an edge

That being said, I fully expect him to fall to us at 3 and once again the reaction will be how such a great prospect fell into our laps because other teams are stupid.

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Yeah I don't get it. This guys isn't going to work out imo. Mediocre athletic profile + injury history not a great profile for an edge

That being said, I fully expect him to fall to us at 3 and once again the reaction will be how such a great prospect fell into our laps because other teams are stupid.

Defaulting to Bosa is not anywhere close to the worst thing that could happen.

Archived