Kevin Zeitler

BCJet

Apparently the Browns are considering moving Kevin Zeitler (he plays RG) in order to free up cap room and a spot for Austin Corbett in the lineup.  Zeitler is 29, was PFF top ranked pass blocking guard in 2018 and makes $10 million this year, $10 in 2020 and $12 in 2021 with very little dead money after this year.

I can't imagine a player that would be a better use of short term, big money, then an excellent 29 year old guard.  We can either move Winters back to LG or cut him and fill that spot with a rookie or FA signing, but either way, Zeitler seems like the perfect player to offer a 5th round pick for to absorb his cap number.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Apparently the Browns are considering moving Kevin Zeitler (he plays RG) in order to free up cap room and a spot for Austin Corbett in the lineup.  Zeitler is 29, was PFF top ranked pass blocking guard in 2018 and makes $10 million this year, $10 in 2020 and $12 in 2021 with very little dead money after this year.

I can't imagine a player that would be a better use of short term, big money, then an excellent 29 year old guard.  We can either move Winters back to LG or cut him and fill that spot with a rookie or FA signing, but either way, Zeitler seems like the perfect player to offer a 5th round pick for to absorb his cap number.

Using 4th-7th round picks both this year and next year should be considered to secure some of these vet options at reasonable contracts rather than losing out in a bidding war or grossly overpaying. Mac has made some good late round pick trades and I think it’s a good strategy for GMs.

As I’ve said earlier, the team that has already psychologically moved on from a player and is ready to cut them, would most likely take almost anything for non-superstar/big name players. O-like is the only desperate position that we can sign/trade for a few “older” guys to hold the fort while we replenish. 

Also, even if we sign him and let’s say a center like Paradise, we still have to replace the entire o-line and most depth in a short period of time. They are just band aids.

Shell would be a good depth swing tackle but is not a good enough starter. Zeitler and Paradis would be 2 year stop gaps. We have to continue to focus on o-line via draft/trade/FA for the next 2 years minimum. It’s been neglected for too long and we don’t even have a pipeline of young guys that are developing. It’s a mess.

That’s the only reason I’d consider “reaching” in the draft if a trade down isn’t available. The value just seems way too good for edge rusher to do that though so trade/FA/3rd round seems to be our only options this year. 

20 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This doesn't pass the "smell test" if you ask me. Getting rid of a top tier player, in his prime, that was part of a line that let Mayfield and the entire offense really become a factor as the season progressed. Something is fishy here.

I agree - pick up some short term guys in FA, AND draft a bunch of guys to develop. Our current late round picks / UDFA seem to have peaked in their development; you're not getting a quality starter out of Dozier, Qvale and the likes. Bring in fresh blood and develop them to take over as soon as they are able.

19 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Also, even if we sign him and let’s say a center like Paradise, we still have to replace the entire o-line and most depth in a short period of time. They are just band aids.

Shell would be a good depth swing tackle but is not a good enough starter. Zeitler and Paradis would be 2 year stop gaps. We have to continue to focus on o-line via draft/trade/FA for the next 2 years minimum. It’s been neglected for too long and we don’t even have a pipeline of young guys that are developing. It’s a mess.

That’s the only reason I’d consider “reaching” in the draft if a trade down isn’t available. The value just seems way too good for edge rusher to do that though so trade/FA/3rd round seems to be our only options this year. 

Im consistently amazed at how people criticize shell.  Does everyone realize we can't have elite players at every one of the 22 spots?  Shell is an above average player, who should be resigned to a reasonable contract to hold down RT for the next 4 years.  Unless his injury is worse then we think, he is not a player who needs to be replaced.

Beachem is also a serviceable player at a reasonable contract, who will need to be replaced after this season, a far more important move for the team then replacing someone like Shell

3 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Im consistently amazed at how people criticize shell.  Does everyone realize we can't have elite players at every one of the 22 spots?  Shell is an above average player, who should be resigned to a reasonable contract to hold down RT for the next 4 years.  Unless his injury is worse then we think, he is not a player who needs to be replaced.

Beachem is also a serviceable player at a reasonable contract, who will need to be replaced after this season, a far more important move for the team then replacing someone like Shell

Shell is absolutley not an above average player. He is a low end starter that starts on a talent deprived o-line. He’d be a great backup and possibly swing tackle backup which would make him valuable to a team regardless.

He is the the last in priority of what needs to be replaced but don’t kid yourself and claim he’s above average. 

30 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Shell is absolutley not an above average player. He is a low end starter that starts on a talent deprived o-line. He’d be a great backup and possibly swing tackle backup which would make him valuable to a team regardless.

He is the the last in priority of what needs to be replaced but don’t kid yourself and claim he’s above average. 

Any ranking you read shows that Shell is average to above average.  Like they said, you can't have elite talent at every position.  Replacing Shell, unless his injury is far worse then expected, is one of the last things we need to worry about right now.

31 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Any ranking you read shows that Shell is average to above average.  Like they said, you can't have elite talent at every position.  Replacing Shell, unless his injury is far worse then expected, is one of the last things we need to worry about right now.

I just said it was the LAST thing to worry about. I’ve seen rankings where he is ranked in the 50s out of all tackles. He’s bottom 3rd which is average-below average and a serviceable starter. Surely upgrading wouldn’t be a bad idea ONCE all the other o-line issues are solved.

Quality depth is important and I think he’d be a GREAT backup if he could hold down the left side in a pinch. There is plenty of value and importance to having a solid 6-7 man deep o-line with a god backup tackle and a good backup interior lineman.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

This doesn't pass the "smell test" if you ask me. Getting rid of a top tier player, in his prime, that was part of a line that let Mayfield and the entire offense really become a factor as the season progressed. Something is fishy here.

You've got it.  Doesn't make sense.  Surely for the "mid round pick"  thrown about here.  Trading him would save them 1.7 Million this year with a Dead Cap charge of 10.7 Million.  Does that make sense to anyone?  If they're exploring options to trading Zeitler, they want to either include him in a high profile trade, or recoup a big draft pick. That is the only avenue to justify moving this player. Besides, neither of these options are viable for the Jets

. Let Winters try to rebound from a bad season.  He wasn't the only one.  Previously he was seen as a "building block".  Let's see how the new coaching staff views him before cutting bait.  He has a very reasonable contract, and is under team control through next year with no salary cap ramifications.  He can be traded or released at any time

We have bigger fish to fry than making an unrealistic move like this. Players of this caliber don't come at the expense of some "mid range draft pick". Certainly not one with a 10.7 million dead cap hit.

3 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Snell is only considered average because the Jets 4 other guys lower the definition of league average so significantly. When they're out of the league, the bar will go up.

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

Im consistently amazed at how people criticize shell.  Does everyone realize we can't have elite players at every one of the 22 spots?  Shell is an above average player, who should be resigned to a reasonable contract to hold down RT for the next 4 years. 

He received a 62.7 grade from PFF, which would rank him the # 56 OT in the NFL.  That's not above average.  That's a JAG, or worse.

No, we can't have elite players at all 22 spots.  But we have, at most, 1 elite player on the roster.  We can use upgrades everywhere but QB, Safety, TE and Punter.

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He received a 62.7 grade from PFF, which would rank him the # 56 OT in the NFL.  That's not above average.  That's a JAG, or worse.

No, we can't have elite players at all 22 spots.  But we have, at most, 1 elite player on the roster.  We can use upgrades everywhere but QB, Safety, TE and Punter.

Also we dont know what Shell will be back at the same level post injury

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

You've got it.  Doesn't make sense.  Surely for the "mid round pick"  thrown about here.  Trading him would save them 1.7 Million this year with a Dead Cap charge of 10.7 Million.  Does that make sense to anyone?  If they're exploring options to trading Zeitler, they want to either include him in a high profile trade, or recoup a big draft pick. That is the only avenue to justify moving this player. Besides, neither of these options are viable for the Jets

According to OverTheCap, the pre-June 1 dead money in a trade would be $7.2M and their savings would be $5.2M. Which isn't nothing, and also save them $22M in salary over the following two years. If the OP is correct and they have confidence in this Corbett kid to take over for him for the balance of his rookie contract, it makes some sense. The Browns have over $80M in cap room, so they're certainly not desperate for money, and do probably want something of value in return for him, but probably not a "high profile trade," or a "big draft pick." I think the size of the contract (the second largest on the Browns' roster) creates some trade discount. From there it comes down to what that price is because the Jets really can't afford to give up much in a trade. Without a trade down in the draft, they can't afford to give up anything before the third they got from NO. Arranging a swap of picks would be best so they'd still have a later selection. The NO pick for the Browns fifth and Zeitler would be okay with me. 

6 minutes ago, slats said:

According to OverTheCap, the pre-June 1 dead money in a trade would be $7.2M and their savings would be $5.2M. Which isn't nothing, and also save them $22M in salary over the following two years. If the OP is correct and they have confidence in this Corbett kid to take over for him for the balance of his rookie contract, it makes some sense. The Browns have over $80M in cap room, so they're certainly not desperate for money, and do probably want something of value in return for him, but probably not a "high profile trade," or a "big draft pick." I think the size of the contract (the second largest on the Browns' roster) creates some trade discount. From there it comes down to what that price is because the Jets really can't afford to give up much in a trade. Without a trade down in the draft, they can't afford to give up anything before the third they got from NO. Arranging a swap of picks would be best so they'd still have a later selection. The NO pick for the Browns fifth and Zeitler would be okay with me. 

Now THIS I love. Win win. We keep the same # of draft picks yet upgrade our O line.

1 hour ago, slats said:

Year Age Base Salary Prorated Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Total   $48,000,000 $12,000,000   $19,500,000   $60,000,000      
2017 27 $6,000,000 $2,400,000   $6,000,000   $8,400,000 5.0%      
2018 28 $10,000,000 $2,400,000   $10,000,000   $12,400,000 7.0%      
2019 29 $10,000,000 $2,400,000   $3,500,000   $12,400,000 6.6%  
$10,700,000
$1,700,000
2020 30 $10,000,000 $2,400,000   $0   $12,400,000 6.2%  
$4,800,000
$7,600,000
2021 31 $12,000,000 $2,400,000   $0   $14,400,000 --  
$2,400,000
$12,000,000

This is the information I got from over the cap.  I also saw it stated this way in several articles about his potential for trade.  Which one of us is right does not matter.  The fact that does matter is, that they would want major compensation for this player, which we can't afford to give, and probably don't have. The Corbet kid was not ready last year.  What the situation is now, I don't know. Probably need to ask on of the "Browns fans" on our board. Lol.   All the printed articles I've seen say the Browns expect a big return, OBJ was mentioned in one scenario.  Haha.  The Browns willingness to deal with us is yet another matter.  Bottom line this is a pipe dream.

20 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:
Year Age Base Salary Prorated Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Total   $48,000,000 $12,000,000   $19,500,000   $60,000,000      
2017 27 $6,000,000 $2,400,000   $6,000,000   $8,400,000 5.0%      
2018 28 $10,000,000 $2,400,000   $10,000,000   $12,400,000 7.0%      
2019 29 $10,000,000 $2,400,000   $3,500,000   $12,400,000 6.6%  
$10,700,000
$1,700,000
2020 30 $10,000,000 $2,400,000   $0   $12,400,000 6.2%  
$4,800,000
$7,600,000
2021 31 $12,000,000 $2,400,000   $0   $14,400,000 --  
$2,400,000
$12,000,000

This is the information I got from over the cap.  I also saw it stated this way in several articles about his potential for trade.  Which one of us is right does not matter.  The fact that does matter is, that they would want major compensation for this player, which we can't afford to give, and probably don't have. The Corbet kid was not ready last year.  What the situation is now, I don't know. Probably need to ask on of the "Browns fans" on our board. Lol.   All the printed articles I've seen say the Browns expect a big return, OBJ was mentioned in one scenario.  Haha.  The Browns willingness to deal with us is yet another matter.  Bottom line this is a pipe dream.

I really have no idea on what the player's trade value is, just kinda throwing out there what I'd be willing to give up for a starting guard making $10M+/year. 

When I go to OTC, the page doesn't look exactly like that. There's a toggle on the right-hand side to scroll between cut pre 6/1, cut post 6/1, trade pre 6/1, trade post 6/1. When I toggle to trade pre-6/1, the numbers are how I described. 

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

Snell is only considered average because the Jets 4 other guys lower the definition of league average so significantly. When they're out of the league, the bar will go up.

This.

Not only do some truly awful NFL starters lower the bar for the rest - raising the "rankings" of mediocre & slightly worse in the process as you're asserting - but bad starters on his own line also elevate him. When guys like Carpenter and Wes Johnson allow someone to get to the QB even faster than Shell allows, it makes Shell look better in relative terms. 

And even still (for whatever PFF's ranking is worth; they're all over the place at times), when truly comparing to all other players' every snaps, few above-average RTs are going to be ranked #56 among all NFL tackles (and just 44th the year before, while statistically benefitting by missing games against Jax, Atlanta, and NE). Sure he can still get better - he's only entering his 4th season - but he's not been a reliable player. He'll have a great outing on occasion and then a piss poor one and you never know which you're going to get. 

On top of that, he's also not really reliable from a health standpoint. 10 full games in 2017 and 13 full games in 2018 is not a model of stability, especially for such a young man who just turned 27. 

All together, these are not remotely the traits of an "above average" RT - one of the cheapest veteran contract positions in football - where it's worth holding a starting slot or extending him without any NFL-caliber competition for his entire career. Remember he's a FA after this year just like Beachum. The team needs to seek upgrades before even thinking about keeping him for any longer. He should be a backup plan not an intended plan.

43 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This.

Not only do some truly awful NFL starters lower the bar for the rest - raising the "rankings" of mediocre & slightly worse in the process as you're asserting - but bad starters on his own line also elevate him. When guys like Carpenter and Wes Johnson allow someone to get to the QB even faster than Shell allows, it makes Shell look better in relative terms. 

And even still (for whatever PFF's ranking is worth; they're all over the place at times), when truly comparing to all other players' every snaps, few above-average RTs are going to be ranked #56 among all NFL tackles (and just 44th the year before, while statistically benefitting by missing games against Jax, Atlanta, and NE). Sure he can still get better - he's only entering his 4th season - but he's not been a reliable player. He'll have a great outing on occasion and then a piss poor one and you never know which you're going to get. 

On top of that, he's also not really reliable from a health standpoint. 10 full games in 2017 and 13 full games in 2018 is not a model of stability, especially for such a young man who just turned 27. 

All together, these are not remotely the traits of an "above average" RT - one of the cheapest veteran contract positions in football - where it's worth holding a starting slot or extending him without any NFL-caliber competition for his entire career. Remember he's a FA after this year just like Beachum. The team needs to seek upgrades before even thinking about keeping him for any longer. He should be a backup plan not an intended plan.

I'm not saying the guy is all-pro.  In fact, I had us signing JaWuan James to replace him.

The fact is, if we CAN'T find a guy that isn't going to cost a fortune, that infringes on our ability to sign other player for the line, then he would be the least of our worries, because he has not been that bad.

54 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This.

So you’re saying that the jets other offensive lineman are so bad that they allow defenders to get to the QB so quick that Shells guy can’t and that masks his poor play?  That’s quite a hypothesis. 

Wouldn’t it also hold true, that if the other lineman are so bad  that someone like shell has to help them, thereby making his own job more difficult?  

Your durability issue is a legit one however thinking that a players grade (ganggreenation looked at every Oline snap and had him graded well) would end up favorable if he got beat but another lineman got beat worse is tough to back up

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

I'm not saying the guy is all-pro.  In fact, I had us signing JaWuan James to replace him.

The fact is, if we CAN'T find a guy that isn't going to cost a fortune, that infringes on our ability to sign other player for the line, then he would be the least of our worries, because he has not been that bad.

He is not an above average tackle. There's a wide margin between what he is and all-pro. Guys can be average to a little above average without the need to label them as all-pro. 

He isn't good, isn't consistent, and isn't reliable. We can and should do better.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

So you’re saying that the jets other offensive lineman are so bad that they allow defenders to get to the QB so quick that Shells guy can’t and that masks his poor play?  That’s quite a hypothesis. 

Wouldn’t it also hold true, that if the other lineman are so bad  that someone like shell has to help them, thereby making his own job more difficult?  

Your durability issue is a legit one however thinking that a players grade (ganggreenation looked at every Oline snap and had him graded well) would end up favorable if he got beat but another lineman got beat worse is tough to back up

It's not "quite a hypothesis" so much as natural logic. If someone else is even worse - never mind if multiple others are even worse - and they give up pressure/sacks after 2 seconds on a given play, where Shell would have given it up after 2.2 seconds, then Shell may be given a + for the play. 

No, your other suggestion wouldn't also hold true. If you have evidence - or even a single memory, let alone with any regularity - of Shell abandoning his own assignment/area to take over someone else's then show it. But he only plays next to one player (Winters) who's better than Shell anyway. If Carpenter or Wesley Johnson was sucking it up, the notion that Brandon Shell was regularly sliding 5-10 yards to his left to improvise and help out is preposterous. 

And not for nothing, but as it is the RT lines up against the weaker edge rusher more often than not anyway. 

Look, he's not the worst tackle in football and I'm not saying he is. But we can and should do better for the team, and a year from now he's a UFA anyway.

Sign a G and C minimum, even if it means we're overpaying a little. Draft a G/T and a G/C. Going to have to repeat G/T drafting next year again because of the way the OL has been given such afterthoughts for 4 offseasons. But he is not veteran Damien Woody II and never will be. 

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And not for nothing, but as it is the RT lines up against the weaker edge rusher more often than not anyway. 

Look, he's not the worst tackle in football and I'm not saying he is. But we can and should do better for the team, and a year from now he's a UFA anyway.

Sign a G and C minimum, even if it means we're overpaying a little. Draft a G/T and a G/C. Going to have to repeat G/T drafting next year again because of the way the OL has been given such afterthoughts for 4 offseasons. But he is not veteran Damien Woody II and never will be.

This.  This should be the Jets primary and sole focus in this free agency and draft.  Nothing more, as relates to the offensive line status. Shell, Winters, and Beachum are dilemmas to be dealt with next year.  There's just too much to do right now. We are speculating on fine tuning a car that has no engine.  Makes no sense to me.

10 hours ago, BCJet said:

I thought the Browns had a ton of cap room already this year, no?  

16 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

As strange as this might sound, there's a legit chance the Browns and the Jets are going to be 2 of the "power teams" in the AFC in the coming years.  So we better be careful with overpaying them in a trade.

My friend's a Browns fan and we joke every year about playing in the AFC Championship. If that comes true, I'll be a little freaked out. 

13 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

. Let Winters try to rebound from a bad season.  He wasn't the only one.  Previously he was seen as a "building block".  Let's see how the new coaching staff views him before cutting bait.  He has a very reasonable contract, and is under team control through next year with no salary cap ramifications.  He can be traded or released at any time

We have bigger fish to fry than making an unrealistic move like this. Players of this caliber don't come at the expense of some "mid range draft pick". Certainly not one with a 10.7 million dead cap hit.

Maybe he's a jerk and hurts people's feelings. 

16 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

This.  This should be the Jets primary and sole focus in this free agency and draft.  Nothing more, as relates to the offensive line status. Shell, Winters, and Beachum are dilemmas to be dealt with next year.  There's just too much to do right now. We are speculating on fine tuning a car that has no engine.  Makes no sense to me.

Well that's not where I was going. Waiting until next year to address both tackle positions is a recipe for being cornered into signing still more FAs this time next year - if not outright extending the meh tackles we currently have - which would leave the team with 5 veteran-priced offensive linemen (merely 4 if we go 1-for-1 in the draft and that prospect shines as a rookie). 

In FA this year, they have little choice but to sign 2 FA linemen with one being a center (a ****ing good one, and it's one of the few good things Jets fans had grown accustomed to for 2 decades). Having outright holes at 2 positions right now, 2 more scheduled next year, the other an unnecessarily-larger contract that was itself due to waiting too long, and literally not one draftee from the past 2 years in a row coming up the pipeline to take over. It's all the residue of poor planning, but it is what it is right now. 

Sign 2, and prefer to also draft 2. Have to draft at least 1, but if we do trade down from #3 that number shoots to 2 as a bare minimum to draft. I'm not moving down from a top 3 overall prospect without adding (adding, not replacing) a 1st round OLman to the 3rd round one we would have drafted anyway.  

• veteran center e.g. Paradis buys 2 seasons (more if we're lucky), if he's even still available
  • veteran G/T buys 2 seasons (more if it's James rather than Saffold)
  • trade down unless it's Bosa (going by others' assessments by excepting him alone), and draft a 1st round tackle who hopefully can handle blind side duties, but who could play G/RT as a rookie if he's not yet a major downgrade from Beachum; not to mention add another badly needed high pick to the arsenal.
  • draft a C/G or G/T prospect in round 3. Don't be shy about moving up a bit from #95 even if it costs our 5th, should someone unexpectedly last because of a run on other positions.

That's 4 OLmen in 1 offseason. That's what a team does when its OL has 2 holes, 2 upcoming holes next year, and it's deadly serious about building a top OL to protect the QB -- a QB in which it's already just invested the past 2 full seasons and 4 high draft picks. 

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well that's not where I was going. Waiting until next year to address both tackle positions is a recipe for being cornered into signing still more FAs this time next year - if not outright extending the meh tackles we currently have - which would leave the team with 5 veteran-priced offensive linemen (merely 4 if we go 1-for-1 in the draft and that prospect shines as a rookie). 

In FA this year, they have little choice but to sign 2 FA linemen with one being a center (a ****ing good one, and it's one of the few good things Jets fans had grown accustomed to for 2 decades). Having outright holes at 2 positions right now, 2 more scheduled next year, the other an unnecessarily-larger contract that was itself due to waiting too long, and literally not one draftee from the past 2 years in a row coming up the pipeline to take over. It's all the residue of poor planning, but it is what it is right now. 

Sign 2, and prefer to also draft 2. Have to draft at least 1, but if we do trade down from #3 that number shoots to 2 as a bare minimum to draft. I'm not moving down from a top 3 overall prospect without adding (adding, not replacing) a 1st round OLman to the 3rd round one we would have drafted anyway.  

• veteran center e.g. Paradis buys 2 seasons (more if we're lucky), if he's even still available
  • veteran G/T buys 2 seasons (more if it's James rather than Saffold)
  • trade down unless it's Bosa (going by others' assessments by excepting him alone), and draft a 1st round tackle who hopefully can handle blind side duties, but who could play G/RT as a rookie if he's not yet a major downgrade from Beachum; not to mention add another badly needed high pick to the arsenal.
  • draft a C/G or G/T prospect in round 3. Don't be shy about moving up a bit from #95 even if it costs our 5th, should someone unexpectedly last because of a run on other positions.

That's 4 OLmen in 1 offseason. That's what a team does when its OL has 2 holes, 2 upcoming holes next year, and it's deadly serious about building a top OL to protect the QB -- a QB in which it's already just invested the past 2 full seasons and 4 high draft picks. 

Your assessment is based on a trade back with multiple picks.  If that's the case, it works.  My comment was based strictly at staying at #3 with a free agency approach to the fix.  With 6 picks, we can't draft two offensive lineman with so many other holes to address.  I also don't see Saffold as merely a two year fix, you'd need at least three seasons from him.  Same thing with Paradis/Morse.  If two years is the expectation, then why bother?  Since we have a new offensive line coach, I would trust his expertise to see if the Beachum, Winters, Shell triumvirate is salvageable, at least for the upcoming season.  You can't build Rome in one day, not unless you're the Colts with the benefit of a high #1 draft picks and 2 no. 2's in your arsenal.

Archived