Teams interested in trading for Jordan Howard

nyjbuddy

3 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

No evidence that the Jets are interested but he has a connection with current OC Dowell Loggains.  Loggains was his OC back in 2016 and 2017 when he had his two best years.  

Then Loggains should know that Howard isn't anything special. I don't like Tevin Coleman or Isiah Crowell, but I don't see much of a difference between them and Howard and you can have the likes of Crowell/Coleman/Ingram without giving up a draft pick. 

There is a reason a team is giving up on a guy like Howard when their only other viable RB is a 5'5 gimmicky RB. In the modern NFL, guys like Howard (And his 3.7YPC last year) are a dime a dozen. Solid, but unspectacular runner who isn't very good out of the backfield. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Not a superstar RB but Jordan Howard is a consistent RB who gets the job done I would prefer Bell. 

If he can do what Thomas Jones did here after coming from Chicago i'm all for it as plan B or C. 

And at what cost? 

I don't think he is actually consistent at all.  Granted Cohen played well, but even still, Howard was getting less and less snaps it seemed last year, and the ones he was getting I think were more negative than positive.

1 minute ago, chrisfaceoff said:

I don't think he is actually consistent at all.  Granted Cohen played well, but even still, Howard was getting less and less snaps it seemed last year, and the ones he was getting I think were more negative than positive.

3 years in the NFL averaged 1000 yards a season high 1300 yards low 935. 8 TD's 2 seasons 1 season 6 TD's in my book thats consistent. 

“What has happened to Jordan Howard?” has been a popular question in fantasy circles since his breakout rookie season. And the answer is pretty simple: His line stopped helping him. Howard has been roughly similar after contact in his career (2.98 yards in 2016, 2.52 in 2017, 2.74 in 2018), but before contact, his numbers have been plummeting (2.22 to 1.58 to 1.00). Yes, he’s nothing much in the receiving game, and yes, Tarik Cohen is siphoning his work, and yes, Howard is at best a mid-tier back, but he is neither as good as he was in 2016 nor as bad as he looked in 2018.

That was with a line that PFF ranked 11th (though mainly because of their pass blocking abilities) vs the Jets 25th.

Side note: Elijah McGuire was the number one on the same list.

37 minutes ago, varjet said:

How many NFL trades ever work out in the long term?

How do you avoid having to pay FAs unless you keep lots of draft picks?

Maybe player for player can work.  

The Herschel Walker trade worked out great, just not for the Vikings.  

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Jordan Howard if acquired would be the best RB on the roster. FYI

He had a solid rookie year and has barely been adequate since. His claim to fame is he’s stayed healthy, enabling him to compile stats. But he’s about as unexciting as a RB as there is in the league. Add in the Bears want to get rid of him and you want to use a draft pick to get him?

3 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

He had a solid rookie year and has barely been adequate since. His claim to fame is he’s stayed healthy, enabling him to compile stats. But he’s about as unexciting as a RB as there is in the league. Add in the Bears want to get rid of him and you want to use a draft pick to get him?

Agree to disagree and for the record im all in on Bell if too costly then Coleman. 

Howard would improve our RB situation Crowell had 1 decent game here he is not the answer. 

Howard shared carries with Cohen or his numbers would have been better and spending a 6th-7th round pick with the way we draft is a solid investment.

Howard could be an alternative to signing Coleman. 

Positives: Howard has a proven starting workhorse back in the NFL.  He is almost 1.5 years younger than Coleman.  His cap hit this year is $2M. 

Negatives: He lacks the ability to take part in the passing game.  His production may be slipping as shown in his statistics.  Coleman is looking for a contract similar to McKinnon's which was 4 years $30M.  Howard would likely cost a day three pick.

By signing Coleman the Jets would increase their RB spending from $5M to $7.5M.  They could cut Crowell after this signing with a post-June 1st cut and free up $4M making the entire transaction a $4.5M cost increase against the cap.

By trading for Howard, his $2M cap hit along with cutting Crowell post-June 1st, the Jets would gain $2M in cap space that could be used somewhere else.  That's a $6.5M difference between the Coleman and Howard transactions.  Giving up a late round draft pick for a $6.5M difference in cap space. 

47 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Howard could be an alternative to signing Coleman. 

Positives: Howard has a proven starting workhorse back in the NFL.  He is almost 1.5 years younger than Coleman.  His cap hit this year is $2M. 

Negatives: He lacks the ability to take part in the passing game.  His production may be slipping as shown in his statistics.  Coleman is looking for a contract similar to McKinnon's which was 4 years $30M.  Howard would likely cost a day three pick.

By signing Coleman the Jets would increase their RB spending from $5M to $7.5M.  They could cut Crowell after this signing with a post-June 1st cut and free up $4M making the entire transaction a $4.5M cost increase against the cap.

By trading for Howard, his $2M cap hit along with cutting Crowell post-June 1st, the Jets would gain $2M in cap space that could be used somewhere else.  That's a $6.5M difference between the Coleman and Howard transactions.  Giving up a late round draft pick for a $6.5M difference in cap space. 

How many years is left on his contract?

These veterans for draft picks deals are just bad, unless you get at least 2 years and the contract is reasonable.

We all thought the Anderson trade was great.  Anderson played great for the Jets last year as they went 4-12.  We gave up a 7th round draft pick.  

There was a low chance that pick could have been a player on the roster from 2018-2021.  If we don't resign Anderson, we had Anderson for a bad 2018 and nothing else.  Even if we do resign Anderson, it will be expensive after 2018.

Archived