Watch - We're Going to Sign Coleman

peekskill68

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The stance the Jets are putting out in the media kind of seems to be that they are not going to overpay for Bell. I could kind of see a scenario where his market is cold and they can bring him in on a reasonable deal.
I don't think anything good for his value has happened this season. Will be interesting if he has to settle for less than the Steelers offered. Wonder if he takes it.

Unfortunately, the odds of Bell going to the Jets in a cold market seem high. Do you think he would choose the Jets over a contender for the same or slightly higher offer? I don’t see it but you never know..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, jamesr said:

There are fair and real concerns on One Jets Drive about Bell’s motivation after he lands a big payday

What about Coleman? How do they know how he'll respond to a big pay day? If you are going to speculate about one free agent, you have to do the same for all the others.

Hmmmmm maybe because he took a year off when the team was playoff caliber because $14.5 million wasn't enough?  This is clearly a guy who will put the team last if it's suits him.  Has Coleman done that?  They are not the same with totally different back stories. There is every reason to have different concerns about each. 

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

They have $100 million. They'll def sign more than 4 players. They have the money to sign at least 4 top players at their respective position plus other 2nd tier guys without blinking an eye. The problem is that Macc is a terrible negotiator and he will lose out on guys to teams with less money.

Yep he’ll miss out on Bell for $200,000 per and go into the season $30 mill under the cap

16 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Curiosity... why not both -- Coleman and draft a RB?

We could certainly do that and I would begrudgingly be fine with Coleman only if they drafted a RB too, one they can groom to eventually start.

18 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I think you are correct and we will be signing Tevin Coleman our GM is afraid of his own shadow. 

maybe but if signing coleman instead of bell means more money to go after oline players or an edge rusher or whoever then it makes sense.

36 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

We could certainly do that and I would begrudgingly be fine with Coleman only if they drafted a RB too, one they can groom to eventually start.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

maybe but if signing coleman instead of bell means more money to go after oline players or an edge rusher or whoever then it makes sense.

i think this is the strategy.  first they're going to sign an OLB, then a CB and say they really upgraded the D.  then they're going to pretend to court bell, lose out to a team like the ravens that wants to stick it to the steelers, with bell leaving more guaranteed $ from the jets on the table like cousins to go to a better team/franchise.  the jets will then overpay for coleman, sign an average G and wr and say they nailed FA.  then they won't be able to trade back and mccagnan will get national props for taking Q.  offense will not get any prime players again this offseason.

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think this is the strategy.  first they're going to sign an OLB, then a CB and say they really upgraded the D.  then they're going to pretend to court bell, lose out to a team like the ravens that wants to stick it to the steelers, with bell leaving more guaranteed $ from the jets on the table like cousins to go to a better team/franchise.  the jets will then overpay for coleman, sign an average G and wr and say they nailed FA.  then they won't be able to trade back and mccagnan will get national props for taking Q.  offense will not get any prime players again this offseason.

Who are all of these high priced OL and Edge guys we're singing that we couldn't afford if we signed Bell.  

This is where I'm flummoxed by Jet fans - Where do you want to spend the money?  This team has no talent and $100mm in cap space - it's not even like we have some stud we drafted that's going to need a big payday next year.

Show me who we're losing out on because we give Bell $15mm instead of Coleman $8mm - who are we not signing because of the extra $7mm?

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Who are all of these high priced OL and Edge guys we're singing that we couldn't afford if we signed Bell.  

This is where I'm flummoxed by Jet fans - Where do you want to spend the money?  This team has no talent and $100mm in cap space - it's not even like we have some stud we drafted that's going to need a big payday next year.

Show me who we're losing out on because we give Bell $15mm instead of Coleman $8mm - who are we not signing because of the extra $7mm?

Great point.

Bell took a year off. Big red flag for me. Even though he was a great player you never know how he is going to react to the rigors of a full season. Plus the rumors he is up too 300 pounds and is partying his butt off down in Miami. All needs to be taken into account. I don't want to pay a guy big money for what he has done. I want to pay him for what he is going to do. 

I’d rather get Coleman than Bell.  I’m convinced that part of why Bell did so well was the Steelers system.   Anyone who was in at RB did well for them last season.  

McGuire proved to be a capable backup and maybe Canon can improve.   I’d rather sign Coleman and use our draft/FA to improve our OL.  If Coleman is a bust from what I’ve heard the 2020 draft class has great RB talent. 

On 3/7/2019 at 2:41 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Id prefer to address the position in the 3rd round of the draft.  Coleman woukd be the lesser of 2 evils but i still think its silly to waste money on a free agant rb.

What if do both?  Sign Coleman and get another RB in the 3rd round.  I'm not sold on McGuire.

On 3/7/2019 at 3:20 PM, peekskill68 said:

For those of us who believe Mehta is the "useful idiot" employed by Macc and/or CJ to grease the skids with the fans via strategic leaks and slanted articles, to me this one is telling us all that unless Bell gets no serious interest from other teams and comes to the Jets to make a deal, we're signing Tevin Coleman...

Sane people really believe this?  

Because if they don't over pay for Bell fans will riot in the streets? 

On 3/7/2019 at 4:55 PM, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I think at best he is bilal Powell. Not that there is anything wrong with Powell but he is JAG. Definition of average. Not even sure if he is an upgrade over Crowell

LOL

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Sane people really believe this?  

Because if they don't over pay for Bell fans will riot in the streets? 

Wouldnt you say that one of the main criticisms of the Woody Johnson era has been he reacts to the whims of the fans vs. tuning out the noise and running the team?  

I consider myself sane (other than rooting for this team) and I definitely believe ownership and the front office strategically leak stories thru guys like Mehta to measure fan reactions.

Guys are you crazy,  the Jets do not have one player on rooster other teams have to prepare for.  We need play makers, on offense .Bell is a 27 y top 3 rb. In league he is a great pass catching rb, he would prob. Be the top wr on team right now, Bell would take a lot of presser off Sam . This is a do or die for Mac . You sign Bell and Paradis , Saffold or t brown.   And Humpfries, or , Moncrief,. That's a start for offense.   This is a must , if team was a 9-7 team With good wrs then T Coleman makes sense , but we need to stop thinking cap hit.   Sign Best player avl. Yes overpay! Only way he comes here.   I personally think he will end up with Raiders . 

6 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Wouldnt you say that one of the main criticisms of the Woody Johnson era has been he reacts to the whims of the fans vs. tuning out the noise and running the team?  

I consider myself sane (other than rooting for this team) and I definitely believe ownership and the front office strategically leak stories thru guys like Mehta to measure fan reactions.

No I wouldn't.  Give all the examples of reacting to the whims of fans.  Actual factual examples not what a couple of fans believe.  Getting Favre is an example I see but honestly, Favre wasn't worth a shot?  

I think teams, every team, every sport, leak stories for a variety of reasons.  I don't think they do to measure anything.  Why would ownership have to 

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No I wouldn't.  Give all the examples of reacting to the whims of fans.  Actual factual examples not what a couple of fans believe.  Getting Favre is an example I see but honestly, Favre wasn't worth a shot?  

I think teams, every team, every sport, leak stories for a variety of reasons.  I don't think they do to measure anything.  Why would ownership have to 

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.  I'm a firm believer that Woody in particular has paid way too much attention to the press, talk radio, bulletin boards, etc. in trying to create fan excitement vs. just going with a steady sound business plan to build a winner...

4 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.  I'm a firm believer that Woody in particular has paid way too much attention to the press, talk radio, bulletin boards, etc. in trying to create fan excitement vs. just going with a steady sound business plan to build a winner...

Still don't see an example 

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Still don't see an example 

Revis part 2 and Tebow are easy ones.  I could make a case that Rex and Sanchez fit the bill too...

I could also make the case that not considering Hunt just recently fits the bill of the Johnsons not wanting to deal with fan heat...

1 hour ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

Fire idzick banners... Tim tebow

And during the Tannenbaum years just about every free agents or player on the trade block the fans wanted,  we got. Altgough I can't say for sure if that was because of tanny or Woody. 

So you're saying he fired Idzik because a couple of pinhead fans paid for a billboard?  He should have been retained, didn't deserve to be fired?  Ok.

Tim Tebow?  You remember fans calling for him to be brought in?  And that's why we did, because the fans wanted it?  Really.

Which FA did the fans want that Tanny brought in for that reason only?  

Nothing better than taking normal transactions and turning them around to fit a conspiracy theory 

36 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So you're saying he fired Idzik because a couple of pinhead fans paid for a billboard?  He should have been retained, didn't deserve to be fired?  Ok.

Tim Tebow?  You remember fans calling for him to be brought in?  And that's why we did, because the fans wanted it?  Really.

Which FA did the fans want that Tanny brought in for that reason only?  

Nothing better than taking normal transactions and turning them around to fit a conspiracy theory 

Are you going to  deny the world is round as well? 

You don't think maybe idzick wouldn't have stuck around another year or 2 without every fan bitching and moaning?

Tim Tebow wasn't a publicity stunt?

A lot of big name signings happen from 07-12'

Faneca, favre, Pace (highest paid linebacker) Jenkins, santonio holmes,  Brandon Edwards, Damien Woody, Antonio cromartie, ladanian Tomlinson... 

Every year the jets spent up to the cap. Then came cap hell and ala Idzick. 

Again I'm not saying most of these signings were influenced by Woody (cough: "Tanny")  But Tebow favre and the Idzick firing was all by Woody being influenced by the fans

1 minute ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

Are you going to  deny the world is round as well? 

Are you thinking you actually proved something?  

Im still waiting on the first question, Idzik didn't deserve to be fired, the move was wrong and only done because of a few fans paid for a billboard? 

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Im still waiting on the first question, Idzik didn't deserve to be fired, the move was wrong and only done because of a few fans paid for a billboard? 

Honestly I think you're getting all twisted up trying to differentiate between smart football moves and pandering to the fans.  They're not mutually exclusive.  Woody just always seemed to react to media and fan heat and I believe he pushed certain moves more for marketing than to win games.  JMO...

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes. I proved you believe in the flat earth theory. 

I'll say it again Idzick was going to get fired. If it wasn't for all the bitching and moaning, he may have lasted an extra year. 

Archived