Broncos in talks with Redskins for Keenum trade

JetFreak89

If this happens, it means no move back to #15 for the JetsThe Redskins are still hopeful that Alex Smith can return to them next season, and this is a signal that they'll try to find a one year, stop gap measure.  If Smith can't return in 2020, Keenum gives them an option until they can find another "franchise" quarterback.  Given the money owed to Smith, the current state of the Redskins roster, and the fact that Keenum doesn't suck, this looks like a logical plan.  

This doesn't feel like a "we are set at QB" move for WAS.  It feels like "we don't trust Colt McCoy enough to be our presumptive starter and mentor to a rookie" move.  I still think they draft a QB, but maybe they can sit back and wait on Lock or Jones instead of burning picks to move up.

Just now, BettyBoop said:

This is no way inhibits our chances of trading back.  Does anyone really think Case Keenum is going to carry this team past game 3 in 2019?

Well I initially thought of it as a good thing/bad thing. The bad thing is that the Rosen market might not be hot and Arizona keeps their pick and doesnt draft Murray after all. The good thing is if both QBs fall to us, we are in business to trade

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

None of these veteran signing or trades will impact a team if they love a QB in this draft. Everything out in FA and via trades are all short term solutions.

Except josh Rosen, you’d have to imagine that a team trading for him thinks he’s a long term solution, if he’s even available 

10 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well I initially thought of it as a good thing/bad thing. The bad thing is that the Rosen market might not be hot and Arizona keeps their pick and doesnt draft Murray after all. The good thing is if both QBs fall to us, we are in business to trade

I think Rosen ends up in Miami.  The G-Men ain't giving up #6 for Rosen so they're out.  

11 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I think Rosen ends up in Miami.  The G-Men ain't giving up #6 for Rosen so they're out.  

Cards should just trade Rosen to giants for a 2nd and a late rd pick they have no leverage now that Kingsbury has made it obvious he wants Murray

Just now, Philc1 said:

Cards should just trade Rosen to giants for a 2nd and a late rd pick they have no leverage now that Kingsbury has made it obvious he wants Murray

Giants need a QB Eli Manning probably wont last the season. Josh Rosen has limited NFL experience and he was a 1st round pick in 2018 I hope the Cardinals get the Giants #1 for Rosen. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Giants need a QB Eli Manning probably wont last the season. Josh Rosen has limited NFL experience and he was a 1st round pick in 2018 I hope the Cardinals get the Giants #1 for Rosen. 

I think Rosen is a perfect fit with the giants as a successor to Eli

Washington needs a stop gap, Keenum can do the job. If it's a low trade of assets like it says above then it's a decent move, one born of desperation from Smith's freak injury.

They can do worse than Case for a year. Hell, I think the Broncos should have just rolled with him for another year and started to rebuild while they look for a QB of the future in this or next years draft. Flacco isn't much better at this point in his career.

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

The Redskins love bad quarterbacks.

Alex Smith started off shaky but has turned into a pretty good QB IMO.  If his career isn't over, the Redskins are doing the right thing by finding a bridge QB until he's ready...

11 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Giants, Dolphags, and Denver in the running.

Elway is head over heels in love with Drew Lock.  For the right to swap first rounders, the Jets should ask for Denver's second and third this year and their 2nd rounder next year. Denver had a strong draft last year and is loaded with young talent, especially on offense which should make them willing to unload some picks. This and the fact that Elway is desperate to get a franchise QB and needs to make it happen now, with Flacco on board as a stop gap insurance policy for this year only, seems to make them a perfect partner.

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Alex Smith started off shaky but has turned into a pretty good QB IMO.  If his career isn't over, the Redskins are doing the right thing by finding a bridge QB until he's ready...

Alex Smith will never play football again I hope i'm dead wrong, but that was a very bad injury he almost lost his leg. 

3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Smith is done 

9 minutes ago, Mackman55 said:

Elway is head over heels in love with Drew Lock.  For the right to swap first rounders, the Jets should ask for Denver's second and third this year and their 2nd rounder next year. Denver had a strong draft last year and is loaded with young talent, especially on offense which should make them willing to unload some picks. This and the fact that Elway is desperate to get a franchise QB and needs to make it happen now, with Flacco on board as a stop gap insurance policy for this year only, seems to make them a perfect partner.

Why would Denver need to trade up for Lock?

I know we look at everything from a Jets "let's fleece somebody for extra picks" view, but this is actually a damn good move by Washington. For $3.5 mil they get a pretty decent QB. They can do whatever they want with their 15th pick now. 

Not bad for Denver either. They get rid of a QB not in their plans, and can do whatever they want with their #1 also.

Two more teams to scratch off the "fleece" list. That's Denver, Wash, Jax, and the Giants. Not many left...

Archived