Pro days

Paradis

Off to the races as of two days ago? Only notable ones i believe so far--

• Nebraska featuring RB (very underrated) Ozigbo.... He's got some juice. Floor could be McGuire, ceiling may be more Connor-esque Rnd 6-UDFA
  • Colorado State -- w/ WR Preston Williams... was terrible. well super average testing. Guy has tons of red flags and consistent tape. UDFA

Today was ASU (that's Alabama State to you folks)

Featured primarily Tytus Howard... lot of attention there. Plus there's FS there K. Ramsey whom the Jets have been sweet on, courting a little last spring and then at the Spiral Bowl. He's 6'3 215. Rangey. That's inside info you won't get anywhere else ;)

We sent down a handful of our people, including lead scout Jay Mendolesi... so, we're pretty damn interested when you're whole team shows up for an FCS work out

couple pics here for fun

D1LjI9PXcAE80to.jpg

D1LVGd0XgAULtbm.jpg

d2fKe84sdsU.jpg

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Featured primarily Tytus Howard... lot of attention there. Plus there's FS there K. Ramsey whom the Jets have been sweet on, courting a little last spring and then at the Spiral Bowl. He's 6'3 215. Rangey. That's inside info you won't get anywhere else ;)

We sent down a handful of our people, including lead scout Jay Mendolesi... so, we're pretty damn interested when you're whole team shows up for an FCS work out

couple pics here for fun

D1LjI9PXcAE80to.jpg

D1LVGd0XgAULtbm.jpg

d2fKe84sdsU.jpg

Look at how huge that guy is in the second pick!!!  He's almost twice as tall as the Jets staffer. He's a monster. What's his 40 time???   ;-) 

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'll hate it if we pick a safety at all in this draft.  safeties are falling out of trees in fa, we just drafted two 1,2 a year or so ago.

Not knocking your work digging this up paradis i just have zero trust in our GM.

In this case, we're talking about an UDFA i expect. 

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

couple pics here for fun

D1LjI9PXcAE80to.jpg

D1LVGd0XgAULtbm.jpg

d2fKe84sdsU.jpg

What the hell is the Spiral Bowl?

Preston Williams not really impressive at his pro day.  

This is a big ol' box of "nope" from me. Williams, blacklisted from the NFL Combine because of a domestic violence incident, checked in at 6-foot-4, 211 pounds and, to be honest, bombed his testing. 

A 4.55s 40-time is fine, but a 31.5" vert and a 9'08" broad are just woefully bad numbers. The average vertical for a defensive lineman is a quarter inch shorter than what Williams logged at his Pro Day. The average broad jump is 2 inches shorter than Williams.

For a receiver who was supposed to mask his deficiencies as a route runner by being a top-tier athlete, this is a really underwhelming performance. One that will cause scouts to take a closer look to his film. They're not likely to like what they see on the second pass.

OU had their proday, but with no Brown and no Anderson, kind of irrelevant for me.

UTEP on the other hand has my favorite Draft sleeper on Defense - CB, Nik Needham. i think he plays the position exactly like Revis... obviously i'm not setting that bar for Needham, but he's one of best kept secrets at this point. Position drills, he's exceptional. ran low to mid 4.4s as well. I'll get numbers when i can

We met with him last night, for the second time - though i'm told CIN covets him. MIA, and DET also are sniffing around. 

10 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I think that drops him to late 1st/second. Thought he would run a 4.4

I kinda think that’s where he was all a long.  I didn’t think 4.4 was a possibility given his size.  Will still be a good pro, but the hype was getting a little out of hand IMO.  He’s not Saquon.  

47 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Josh Jacobs running 4.63 at the Bama pro day.  Does that change anyone’s opinion on him?   

Hmmm that is disappointing. I'm sure it will cost him somewhat during the draft. Good thing is that he doesn't have a lot of wear and tear on him from his time at Bama.

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I kinda think that’s where he was all a long.  I didn’t think 4.4 was a possibility given his size.  Will still be a good pro, but the hype was getting a little out of hand IMO.  He’s not Saquon.  

This years Trent Richardson?

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Josh Jacobs running 4.63 at the Bama pro day.  Does that change anyone’s opinion on him?   

it puts the brakes on the hype that was out of control. He's a day 2 back, and one of the best in this class, but he's testing confirms we're not talking about some kind of specimen. 

Yesterday was UCLA's pro day which also had a few players from Azusa Pacific and the University of Hawaii.  A few Hawaii prospects to watch for:

Jahlani Tavai:

"A productive four-year starter for the Rainbow Warriors, Jahlani Tavai comes from a football family as he’s one of a handful of brothers who is playing or has played Division I football. Tavai has been a consistent producer during his time on campus. Tavai adjusted to a new scheme this year and lined up in several spots, including off the edge, stacked as a middle linebacker, and out in space over the slot. An athletic kid with an extremely high motor and a mean streak to match, Tavai is truly one of the sleepers of the draft at this point. He is a player who will likely be viewed as a "late riser" throughout the process. I have to credit NFL Draft analyst Dane Brugler of The Athletic, who has been pounding the table for this kid since the summer." - https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/fran-duffy-combine-preview-linebacker

"Overall, Tavai lined up primarily at MIKE in Hawaii’s 4-2-5 scheme. He was unable to finish his senior season with a shoulder injury, but had great success throughout his four seasons at Hawaii. He is flying under the radar, but when he’s healthy, he might be one of the better players at his position in April, especially when a good showing at the NFL Combine and his Pro Day.

Tevai will immediately add inside-out versatility, a playmaker, and intelligence to a linebacker group. He is best in a zone heavy pass defense scheme. Tavai will flash excellent run defense, using mental processing, short area burst, natural strength, and play speed when shooting gaps to disrupt plays. He shows the overall athletic range to excel at disrupting plays over the middle in the pass game." - https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/05/chargers-scouting-report-hawaii-lb-jahlani-tavai/

390 career tackles, 41 tackles for loss, 16.5 sacks, 2 interceptions, 5 passed defended, 3 fumble recoveries, 3 forced fumbles.

John Ursua:

Ht- 5'9 1/8"
Wt- 178#
Vertical Jump - 37"
Broad Jump - 10'
225# bench - 17 Reps
40yd - 4.56s
Shuttle - 4.08s
L-Drill - 6.77s
60y shut - 11.18s

Led the nation in receiving touchdowns with 16.  He is a great slot receiver, played in a similar offense to Davone Bess (Miami 08-12).

On 3/20/2019 at 3:19 PM, nyjbuddy said:

Yesterday was UCLA's pro day which also had a few players from Azusa Pacific and the University of Hawaii.  A few Hawaii prospects to watch for:

Jahlani Tavai:

"A productive four-year starter for the Rainbow Warriors, Jahlani Tavai comes from a football family as he’s one of a handful of brothers who is playing or has played Division I football. Tavai has been a consistent producer during his time on campus. Tavai adjusted to a new scheme this year and lined up in several spots, including off the edge, stacked as a middle linebacker, and out in space over the slot. An athletic kid with an extremely high motor and a mean streak to match, Tavai is truly one of the sleepers of the draft at this point. He is a player who will likely be viewed as a "late riser" throughout the process. I have to credit NFL Draft analyst Dane Brugler of The Athletic, who has been pounding the table for this kid since the summer." - https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/fran-duffy-combine-preview-linebacker

"Overall, Tavai lined up primarily at MIKE in Hawaii’s 4-2-5 scheme. He was unable to finish his senior season with a shoulder injury, but had great success throughout his four seasons at Hawaii. He is flying under the radar, but when he’s healthy, he might be one of the better players at his position in April, especially when a good showing at the NFL Combine and his Pro Day.

Tevai will immediately add inside-out versatility, a playmaker, and intelligence to a linebacker group. He is best in a zone heavy pass defense scheme. Tavai will flash excellent run defense, using mental processing, short area burst, natural strength, and play speed when shooting gaps to disrupt plays. He shows the overall athletic range to excel at disrupting plays over the middle in the pass game." - https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/05/chargers-scouting-report-hawaii-lb-jahlani-tavai/

390 career tackles, 41 tackles for loss, 16.5 sacks, 2 interceptions, 5 passed defended, 3 fumble recoveries, 3 forced fumbles.

John Ursua:

Ht- 5'9 1/8"
Wt- 178#
Vertical Jump - 37"
Broad Jump - 10'
225# bench - 17 Reps
40yd - 4.56s
Shuttle - 4.08s
L-Drill - 6.77s
60y shut - 11.18s

Led the nation in receiving touchdowns with 16.  He is a great slot receiver, played in a similar offense to Davone Bess (Miami 08-12).

Ursua was productive but even last season he looked raw. With his physical traits being better than most expected it’d be cool to spend a 7th rounder on him and develop him for a year.

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Not surprising.  Pretty sure his shuttle was faster than Leveon Bell’s....Lol.  

yeah it makes me think he’s probably better off as an OLB edge rusher in a 3-4. seems like he would thrive in being be able to stand up and chase down RB’s as well as pass rush

If Oliver is a real possibility as a DE/OLB (forget scheme, just that's his role)... where does he sit vs Bosa & Allen. how do you sort them all out? 

Is the best case scenario suddenly trading out of Bosa at #3, and getting Oliver a few picks later? 

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If Oliver is a real possibility as a DE/OLB (forget scheme, just that's his role)... where does he sit vs Bosa & Allen. how do you sort them all out? 

Is the best case scenario suddenly trading out of Bosa at #3, and getting Oliver a few picks later? 

I think it firmly locks him into the top 5 defensive players. jets can now trade back as far as 7 and still come away with an elite prospect 

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Good luck trading out of three and still getting Oliver. He's a better prospect than both Bosa and Allen and will be a better pro than either of them. Today just provided more confirmation.

He's an absolute freak that played a position in college that he will never play in the NFL. I think that is where many people are getting confused about his potential at the next level. I'm not.

13 minutes ago, RobR said:

Good luck trading out of three and still getting Oliver. He's a better prospect than both Bosa and Allen and will be a better pro than either of them. Today just provided more confirmation.

He's an absolute freak that played a position in college that he will never play in the NFL. I think that is where many people are getting confused about his potential at the next level. I'm not.

So he's in play at #3 you're saying. 

33 minutes ago, RobR said:

If he didn't play NT in college he'd probably be the consensus #1 overall.

I don’t think that’s a big deal, solomon thomas played NT for stanford and although he’s been an epic bust he still went top 3. melvin ingram played a lot of 0 tech nose at carolina too- oliver reminds me of a bigger version of him

32 minutes ago, cant wait said:

I don’t think that’s a big deal, solomon thomas played NT for stanford and although he’s been an epic bust he still went top 3. melvin ingram played a lot of 0 tech nose at carolina too- oliver reminds me of a bigger version of him

IIRC Ingram played mostly LB and DE, I don't remember him lining up on the nose like Oliver did 99% of the time. Same goes for Thomas who lined up more as a DE/DT than he did a a pure zero tech. 

I think you're comparing apples and oranges with those two players as a comparison. Oliver was strictly a zero tech.....I can't say that about Thomas and Ingram.

13 minutes ago, RobR said:

IIRC Ingram played mostly LB and DE, I don't remember him lining up on the nose like Oliver did 99% of the time. Same goes for Thomas who lined up more as a DE/DT than he did a a pure zero tech. 

I think you're comparing apples and oranges with those two players as a comparison. Oliver was strictly a zero tech.....I can't say that about Thomas and Ingram.

oh yeah you’re right, ingram did play a lot of DE at carolina. I do remember some people were questioning him because a lot of his sacks came from inside rushes at DT so maybe that’s what I’m thinking of. I still think oliver could be that same type of player though- he might end up benefitting from dropping a little weight if he’s going to play standing up in a 3-4

Archived