Any Interest in a Sheldon Richardson Reunion???

GREENBEAN

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I had no problems with Sheldumb on the field.  Only off the field.  If only Rex and Bowles had used him correctly on the line instead of standing up most of the time.  Why do I think it would be different with greg Williams?  If Greg wants him, then go get him.  I'd let Williams dictate, or at least have a very strong say in who the Jets bring in for the defensive side of the ball.  Jets locker room and training camp will not be the same daycare centers they had been under Rex and Bowles.  

What did Rex do with Sheldon besides use him as a 3/4 DE.  Bowles used him as an outside linebacker and teams were audibling to pick on him at that spot

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a word NO. Yeah he may have changed but then again it might just have been getting out of NY. Some guys can't handle playing here. They get defensive and paranoid with the constant scrutiny that comes with playing in the biggest market in the world. I believe this is the case with Sheldon. Been there, done that. Let him catch on with a team in a smaller market where he can play under the radar and do his thing. Seems that's what he is best at.

31 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I don’t think you are in the minority at all. Especially with no true nose in a Greg Williams 3-4. We could keep Leo or still field offers and not worry about losing too much depth. This is why you don’t waste premium picks on DT. 

We also need a FB. 

3 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

In a word NO. Yeah he may have changed but then again it might just have been getting out of NY. Some guys can't handle playing here. They get defensive and paranoid with the constant scrutiny that comes with playing in the biggest market in the world. I believe this is the case with Sheldon. Been there, done that. Let him catch on with a team in a smaller market where he can play under the radar and do his thing. Seems that's what he is best at.

If we were talking about his play on the field I would agree with your comments. Sheldon seemed to handle that ok. It was his off field issues mostly that concerns many. Off field issues come from a lack of disapline and structure something that both he and the organization were lacking. So maybe both he and the organization are in a better place and can make it work?

Just now, Bocajetfan said:

If we were talking about his play on the field I would agree with your comments. Sheldon seemed to handle that ok. It was his off field issues mostly that concerns many. Off field issues come from a lack of disapline and structure something that both he and the organization were lacking. So maybe both he and the organization are in a better place and can make it work?

I just don’t think it’s a good idea.  They can get jag DTs for less money who won’t come into the locker room thinking they have some sort of historical advantage and trying to get back to how things used to be.  Especially for a first year hc.  I think he’d be ok as a player, but he’s too outspoken relative to his on field contribution.

3 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Lol. The off the field stuff goes hand in hand with all the scrutiny that comes from playing in NY. Do you really need it explained to you? Seems like wishful thinking to me.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I just don’t think it’s a good idea.  They can get jag DTs for less money who won’t come into the locker room thinking they have some sort of historical advantage and trying to get back to how things used to be.  Especially for a first year hc.  I think he’d be ok as a player, but he’s too outspoken relative to his on field contribution.

You might be correct but he also knows he was booted once before and that’s where the disapline and structure within the organization comes into play.

4 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

You might be correct but he also knows he was booted once before and that’s where the disapline and structure within the organization comes into play.

I just think you can get DT jags who can do what he does without the history or the inclination for laziness.  

The really interesting part of this reunion is I don't think Sheldon has reached his potential yet, he was drafted into a crowded line with Rex in decline and fighting with Idzik, (regressed from his rookie year) he was then totally misused by bowles/rogers, followed by a culture shock with the seahags and a one year prove it deal with the Vikings where he seemed to settle down

would be nice to have another former first round pick playing on the team, I think a second chance would be a win-win

Do it. He can be had for value and he’s above average. Get Houston and resign Anderson. It’ll be a $30 Million infusion of talent to our DL. That’ll leave us with $65 million-ish to spend on the offense. If we go out and sign a Tyrann Mathieu or Bryce Callahan we’ll somehow still have $55 Million for OL/ Bell. 

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Should we be interested?  Is this a priority need position?

Here is a question, who is our #1 WR this year?  And don't say Anderson, because lol, no.

Why cant you sign him and get a WR1? Lol why does everyone act like signing one player impacts us signing another as if where broke.  

3 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Like I said in another post, we redeem ourselves from “missing out” on Cousins by raiding their talented roster that they will be unable to keep thanks to his contract. Keep going to that well over the next 2 years. 

Not a bad logic. I like it.  I like it a lit actually.  It would feel real nice to take Barr and Sheldon and maybe even Nick Easton if his neck is ok. Then at then end send stick a post it not on the GM's window that says  "I never congratulated you for grabbing Kirk"  lol

The post it not is optional of course.

Haven't followed him since he left but I always liked how he played. High motor guy. If we ended up taking Q Williams at #3 after signing Richardson it would seem like a setup for a Leo trade. Actually would be kind of funny how that worked out - draft DT in first round, get a few solid years out of him, trade him away for a 2nd and a player after drafting another DT in the 1st (Leo). Then pick Richardson back up in FA and trade away Leo for a pick after getting a few solid years out of him. Actually seems like pretty frugal usage of draft picks now that I'm writing it all out.

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Haven't followed him since he left but I always liked how he played. High motor guy. If we ended up taking Q Williams at #3 after signing Richardson it would seem like a setup for a Leo trade. Actually would be kind of funny how that worked out - draft DT in first round, get a few solid years out of him, trade him away for a 2nd and a player after drafting another DT in the 1st (Leo). Then pick Richardson back up in FA and trade away Leo for a pick after getting a few solid years out of him. Actually seems like pretty frugal usage of draft picks now that I'm writing it all out.

Sounds like a plan

8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Yeah, you're right. He probably won’t be there in the summer, but like I said, I’m really not into bringing him back, so I’m not really concerned.

Especially if he’s now this hot commodity you’re talking about. If he is that, he’s not signing for a year or two, or for 8 mil per.He did that last year on a one year deal, he’s not doing that again.

Do you still like him at 3 for 30? Maybe longer and more money? I don’t. The guy was a pain in the ass once, probably will be again. I don’t want to have him get his retirement fund here.

I'd be OK with three for 24million, or about that amount.  He's not old and has plenty left in the tank. Zimmer loved him in Minnesota, and he was well liked in Seattle. If he's looking to cash in, then I'd pass. There are plenty of other young, inexpensive alternatives, including Grady Jarrett, and Michael Pierce.

2 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

I agree with this. Hopefully this org will be different. Both Rex and Bowles were undisciplined. It seems as though that is going to end with this new staff and hat could be good. 

I'm not pounding on the table for Sheldon, but he is a quality player and would come at a decent price.  He's always played hard. Even last year in Minn. 

Archived