Thoughts on Jets backup QB

Thai Jet

Just now, The Crusher said:

I was waiting for either of them in the AAF. Tebow seems to baseball way better than he footballs. Not sure If true, but hear Kaep say he wanted 20 million! I think that may bore than the entire leagues yearly payroll! Not sure if true or not. I’m surprised Manziel isn’t being talked about related to the AAF yet. 

I was just joking around but after Macc whiffs in free agency we might have to sign Tebow and Kaepernick just for the laughs

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Yeah well we’re looking for a backup QB a young Steve Young isn’t available to come here on a cheap one year deal to hold a clipboard for Darnold 

And Davis Webb is absolutely awful.  There’s a reason the giants started Geno over him and then cut him

Image result for cool story bro

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bring in Brock to compete with Webb for the # 2 job.  Cut the weaker option.  

This isn't the year to be spending heavily on a backup option.  If needed, we can grab someone off the couch after the season starts, at which point his full season salary won't be guaranteed.

That's why you only need Webb for now. He's cheap, and this team isn't winning anything this year. 

If it ever comes down to us putting the back up on the field for more then a play or two, there is no way we're winning anything anyway, so why spend now? Like you said, we can sign someone off the street for non guaranteed money once the season starts.

6 hours ago, jack48 said:

I would even take Osweiler.  He is not good, but he has won a few games.

I'd be down with that. I think he'd give you a shot at winning a game although perhaps small but with the cap nobody can have large bucks tied up in a backup QB.

2 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

How about Fitzpatrick?

Experienced vet who wouldn't mind backing up and mentoring plus he looked pretty good at times last year

King, which Fitzpatrick are you talking about?  The one I know wanted no part of mentoring anyone, and was a dick about it. In Tampa he bitched and moaned about Jameis Winston being reinstalled as the starter,, after he blew it.  The one I'm thinking about, also held the Jets up for a fortune, has an inflated ego, and still probably fancies himself as a starter in this league.  Are you sure we got the same guy?

5 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

How about Fitzpatrick?

Experienced vet who wouldn't mind backing up and mentoring plus he looked pretty good at times last year

Because despite winning a few games for us, he largely divided the team when he was here.  He has an inspirational personality combined with the ability to get hot for a month or two, followed by a swift return to a disappointing sub-norm.  This combination works to leave his team in two opposing camps, which we do not want.  Keep him away, even in a backup role.

3 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

Because despite winning a few games for us, he largely divided the team when he was here.  He has an inspirational personality combined with the ability to get hot for a month or two, followed by a swift return to a disappointing sub-norm.  This combination works to leave his team in two opposing camps, which we do not want.  Keep him away, even in a backup role.

Plus Fitz is a walking bad luck charm the last 6 qbs he’s backed up all had serious injuries or suspensions

8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

That's why you only need Webb for now. He's cheap, and this team isn't winning anything this year. 

If it ever comes down to us putting the back up on the field for more then a play or two, there is no way we're winning anything anyway, so why spend now? Like you said, we can sign someone off the street for non guaranteed money once the season starts.

Webb stinks.  He shouldn’t even be on the roster as third string he’s Hackenberg bad

On 3/9/2019 at 10:14 AM, choon328 said:

I have a feeling David Webb will be the backup. They'll bring in a vet on a non guaranteed contract and pre-season will determine the backup. I think they'd like it to be Webb bc he's cheap and can be under control for the next two years. Maybe Gase can develop him as well.

You do NOT want Davis Webb remotely close to being one injury away from being "the guy" for the Jets. 

11 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

King, which Fitzpatrick are you talking about?  The one I know wanted no part of mentoring anyone, and was a dick about it. In Tampa he bitched and moaned about Jameis Winston being reinstalled as the starter,, after he blew it.  The one I'm thinking about, also held the Jets up for a fortune, has an inflated ego, and still probably fancies himself as a starter in this league.  Are you sure we got the same guy?

8 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

3 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Would silver bullets have any effect ?

8 hours ago, The Crusher said:

No, he’s haunted. Burn that fool at the stake and keep him away from Sam. 

… well THAT was a great idea :)

at least I didn't suggest Geno or Sanchez !

6 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

We should definitely no re sign McCown.  I still don’t understand how he got $10 million last season.  

I’d go for Tyrod Taylor or Bradford.  

Taylor would be a good backup

bradford should join McCown at the retirement home

9 hours ago, RJIII said:

You do NOT want Davis Webb remotely close to being one injury away from being "the guy" for the Jets. 

Webb is total hot garbage.  I’m surprised he’s still on a nfl roster he should be in AAF or Canada

On 3/10/2019 at 11:16 AM, Philc1 said:

I was just joking around but after Macc whiffs in free agency we might have to sign Tebow and Kaepernick just for the laughs

Which ex-Jet is the opposite of Colin Kaepernick?

Joe Prokop

ba-dum-dum

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/jets-could-be-landing-spot-for-free-agent-qb-ryan-tannehill/305072586

• sny_logo.png
More 

Jets could be landing spot for free agent QB Ryan Tannehill

Tannehill played under Gase in Miami and would move into backup role

2:49PM
  • Share:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Dec 23, 2018; Miami Gardens, FL, USA; Miami Dolphins head coach Adam Gase (right) talks with Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill (17) at Hard Rock Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports (Steve Mitchell) Dec 23, 2018; Miami Gardens, FL, USA; Miami Dolphins head coach Adam Gase (right) talks with Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill (17) at Hard Rock Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports (Steve Mitchell)

Sam Darnold is the Jets' franchise quarterback, but what is the plan in case he goes down with an injury next season?

Well, new head coach Adam Gase may turn to a familiar face.

According to Chris Mortensen on ESPN's NFL Liveon Monday, the Jets could be a potential destination for free agent quarterback Ryan Tannehill. 

Tannehill, 30, played for Gase the last three seasons during his tenure as head coach of the Miami Dolphins and could be brought into New York as the backup quarterback for the Jets.

Josh McCown served as the backup last season, but the veteran -- who turns 40 before the start of next season -- has not committed to whether or not he wants to continue to play. 

Darnold missed three games last year with a foot injury but McCown also served as a mentor to Darnold. 

Tannehill is a former first-round pick who never quite lived up to expectations and has consistently been marred by injuries. 

He missed the entire 2017 season after tearing his ACL and was unable to start in the one season he reached the playoffs -- under Gase in 2016 -- due to a knee injury. 

He went 5-6 last season and threw for 1,976 yards with 17 touchdowns to nine interceptions with a 63.2 percent completion rate. 

Archived