Proposed Onside Kick Rule Change

PS17

Sounds similar to the AAF rule.

NFL teams have proposed nine rule changes for 2019, including an intriguing alternative from the Denver Broncos to bypass the onside kick.

According to the Broncos' proposal, released Friday night by the NFL, each team would have one opportunity per game to remain on offense after a fourth-quarter score. Instead of kicking off, the team would line up at its 35-yard line for what is in essence a fourth-and-15. If the team gains the 15 yards, it maintains possession. If not, the defense takes over.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26198578/broncos-propose-alternative-trying-onside-kick

Actual football is screwed. Id say thank God for hockey and baseball, but hockey likes to give participation points in the standings and baseball is talking about starting extra innings with a runner on 2nd. All ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Actual football is screwed. Id say thank God for hockey and baseball, but hockey likes to give participation points in the standings and baseball is talking about starting extra innings with a runner on 2nd. All ridiculous. 

At least hockey has the sense to revert back to regular rules in post-season (as in no 3-on-3 overtime). The NFL has become the Arena League and I have no idea what baseball is doing these days.  I think they're looking for creative ways to destroy the sport.  They almost instituted a pitch clock this season.  WTF?!

I'm more then ok with this, I like it a lot.

The onside kick was never an exciting play, and rarely worked. It became almost impossible to convert last year when the kicking team wasn't allowed a running start.  With this rule the team can convert the 15 yard play, or get the first down on any number of defensive penalties. Much better odds, but not so easy that its unfair to the team with the lead.

If this comes about, you'll have the chance for some exciting finishes you wouldn't get now. Unless you get off watching 3 plays from the victory formation, with a timeout after each one, I don't see a down side..

They should absolutely look into doing this. The onside kick % drastically dropped this year due to the new rules.

Before 2018 = 20% success rate

During 2018 = 8% success rate

Since offenses can no longer be stopped in the NFL, if you get a lead, you basically win. I'm 100% on board for this rule change.

33 minutes ago, jetsons said:

That's what the AFF does but it's a 4th & 12... What's next no kickoffs?  ?

Honestly I don't know how upset I'd get losing 3 minutes of commercials after the extra point, return for a 5 second kickoff that usually ends up going out of the end zone, followed by another 3 minutes of commercials.

Spine tingling stuff right there.

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Why not just let them try to kick 60 yard FGs and just ruin kickoffs completely.  

Kickoffs have been dead for years. I don't need to waste 15 mins to watch the ball go out the back of the end-zone. The AAF is doing it right IMO.

Make it flag football, I would like everyone to participate in everything in life. Girls in the Boy Scouts, everyone welcome at private country clubs, and a trophy for everybody. Oh, and start teaching arabic in pre-k. Girls want to be boys, and boys are like girls. Don't show the cheerleaders on TV, oh wait that's been done, nothing to fight for anymore. Rottsa ruck, raggy.

9 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Make it flag football, I would like everyone to participate in everything in life. Girls in the Boy Scouts, everyone welcome at private country clubs, and a trophy for everybody. Oh, and start teaching arabic in pre-k. Girls want to be boys, and boys are like girls. Don't show the cheerleaders on TV, oh wait that's been done, nothing to fight for anymore. Rottsa ruck, raggy.

Ok, so we have you down as a YES.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Kickoffs have been dead for years. I don't need to waste 15 mins to watch the ball go out the back of the end-zone. The AAF is doing it right IMO.

Do a youtube video. Title it "stuffing your balls out the end zone" or something. You decide, you're way funnier than I am. 

44 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

I'm interested in what you're saying, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

No way! Thats giving the team that just scored the ball back right away even though its 4th down. They can go for a Hail Mary or just go for the 1st down. You kick off after you score. Why change that! How many injuries occur on onside kicks? Let them get a running start and that will bring the percentage back up to a manageable 20%. 

2 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Rome didn’t get defeated, it defeated itself

On 3/9/2019 at 10:10 PM, bla bla bla said:

Ehhh...kick returns were one of the few areas we excelled in last year. Roberts put us in position to score a lot more points than we would have otherwise. 

35 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Ehhh...kick returns were one of the few areas we excelled in last year. Roberts put us in position to score a lot more points than we would have otherwise. 

Oo yea I agree but as a whole for the NFL the kickoff has been dead for years. No one will ever get an opportunity to break Hester's records.

On 3/9/2019 at 7:34 PM, Apache 51 said:

wut

Archived