Jets trade with Raiders for G Kelechi Osemele

JetsFanatic

I'm too hung over at the moment to read through this whole thread but as someone who has bashed Mac regularly, I have to give him credit for this move.  Very nice upgrade without giving up a premium pick.  Let's hope he doesn't stop here and continues to improve the OL via free agency and the draft.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Did you expect anything less?

It really shouldn't be hard to have a conversation where both sides can be seen objectively in the matter.  Like:

1) Was it a good trade?  YES.  We get a guard one year removed from All-pro/Pro Bowl back-to-back seasons still at a good age with years on the contract for a 5th round pick.  We got a 6th back.  Mac has done these kind of trades EXTREMELY well.

2) While it is a great move, what should not be ignored is the line when drafting.  Just because we will probably fill Center in FA and LG, does NOT mean the OL should constantly be ignored.  It is time to spend some draft capital (and by that I mean something prior to the 5th round) on some guys who can sit a year or two before they start, and can start in a pinch.

Lets use this as an example Scott :)   We can praise the move as solid (which it is) while also stating that the line should not be ignored (which has been a criticism of Mac)!

Yup, and eliminate the peacocking.

11 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

There is NO way Brown should have been near Darnold.  Not in any circumstance.  Sometimes, the talent is not worth the headache.  When a franchise like Pittsburgh sends you packing, there is a reason.  They have run that franchise a TAD better than the Jets over the years. 

Yep.  And just because Gruden has loaded up on a ton of picks does not make the Raiders a smart organization all of a sudden.  They still have to nail those picks first.

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

You must think Darnold is a bitch. 

Do you think 2x Super Bowl winner Ben Roethlisberger is a b*tch?  He couldn't make it work with Brown.

Of all the things to be said about Mark Sanchez, a b*tch he really wasn't.  Yet surrounding him with sociopaths at WR had a direct impact on the team falling apart in its final 3 games of 2011. 

It doesn't matter how tough Sam Darnold is.  A diva WR has a unique ability to collapse a locker room.  Odell Beckham has been trying his best to do that with the other team in town, and its been effective.  I know a lot of people here think Eli Manning is a b*tch too, but the dude has handled an awful lot of criticism and adversity his entire career, and all he did was win 2 Super Bowls against the cheating Patriots.

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Tom Brady is a Cali kid.

And 5 different QB's who went to Cal have started in Super Bowls.  Joe Kapp, Craig Morton, Vince Ferragamo, Aaron Rodgers and Jared Goff.  Granted, Kapp was born in New Mexico and Morton is from Flint, MI.  But the point still stands.

2 others went to UCLA (Billy Kilmer, Troy Aikman) and another 2 went to Stanford (Jim Plunkett, John Elway).  Kilmer is from Topeka, Kansas and Elway is from Washington.  But the other 2 were born in California.

Bitches, all of 'em!

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

I think Little Ben is an a$$hole, not a bitch. Calling out AB on a radio show after a loss was wrong. I can't see Brady or Peyton Manning ever doing that. 

So not a b*tch.  Got it.  Neither is Darnold.  And that has nothing to do with whether someone can corral Antonio Brown. 

Again, its an important point to note that, when the Steelers get rid of a WR, pretty much every time they've come out looking fine.  And every time the Raiders try to make a big splash, its blown up in their faces.  That's really the more important takeaway here.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Again, its an important point to note that, when the Steelers get rid of a WR, pretty much every time they've come out looking fine.

Not this time. The Steelers are about to go through some lean times like the 80's and late 90's.

21 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Let's see how good JuJu Smith Schuster does for an entire season drawing all the defensive attention AB did.

The pattern has been simple for the Steelers:  They will draft another solid WR in the early rounds, and he will pair with Smith-Schuster to take the pressure off. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I've been among the most critical of Mike Maccagnan of late (though I was late to that party too).  But this was a very nice move.  Credit where its due.  There's zero to knock about this. 

The problem isn’t this trade.  It seems like a fine trade.  The problem is that heading into year 5, swapping a pick for an expensive guard coming off his worst year, with a team who needs to dump his salary, is a “good” move, just speaks to how bad things are.

Had Macc performed adequately, we don’t need to do this.  That’s the problem.

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Yet we are where we are. Have to play the cards you're dealt and all that. 

You have to think that there are certain moves that should be made, and certain moves that shouldn't be made no matter the situation this organisation finds themselves in. This is one of the moves that should be made.

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

The problem isn’t this trade.  It seems like a fine trade.  The problem is that heading into year 5, swapping a pick for an expensive guard coming off his worst year, with a team who needs to dump his salary, is a “good” move, just speaks to how bad things are.

Sometimes, it is better to get a player coming off his "worst" year, when he has had prior history of very good years, rather than getting a player coming off his best year. Money or capital needed to acquire that player being an obvious factor.

How it plays out for the Jets in this case, obviously will be seen.

The rest is just posturing here.

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

We just landed on of the best olinemen in the league in exchange for swapping a 5th for a 6th.

AND there's no guaranteed money!

It was a massive win for Macc and us.

KO will play like a mad man trying to secure one more deal for a few years.

Critique when called for, but also let yourself enjoy some good news when appropriate.

5 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Yet we are where we are. Have to play the cards you're dealt and all that. 

You have to think that there are certain moves that should be made, and certain moves that shouldn't be made no matter the situation this organisation finds themselves in. This is one of the moves that should be made.

Macc reason the cards suck.  No one is saying this is a bad move, I don’t think.  But you also can’t expect everyone to be thrilled when you are making the type of move that you don’t want to be in the position to have to make.  We are better today at Oline than a couple of days ago, but the circumstances by which we got there are far less than ideal.

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Sometimes, it is better to get a player coming off his "worst" year, when he has had prior history of very good years, rather than getting a player coming off his best year. Money or capital needed to acquire that player being an obvious factor.

How it plays out for the Jets in this case, obviously will be seen.

The rest is just posturing here.

Yeah.  Maybe.  We’ll see.  Point remains...

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

That we know. But just because you played bad hands previously, does not mean you just fold on the next hand. 

I think the correct analogy is not that you fold the next hand, but you overplay the next hand to chase your losses.

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

That we know. But just because you played bad hands previously, does not mean you just fold on the next hand. 

Stop trying to explain everything to everyone in samurai speak. We're all weirdos on the internet. You don't know sh*t and neither do I.

6 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

We just landed on of the best olinemen in the league in exchange for swapping a 5th for a 6th.

AND there's no guaranteed money!

It was a massive win for Macc and us.

KO will play like a mad man trying to secure one more deal for a few years.

Critique when called for, but also let yourself enjoy some good news when appropriate.

I guess if we ignore last year as everyone is doing, that makes sense.  Meanwhile, we got the best player in the draft in Leonard Williams.  Then we got the best player in the draft in Jamal Adams.  Now we’re gifted the best guard in the league for peanuts.  Why aren’t we good?  Maybe all these “best” evaluations need recalibration.

Just now, TeddEY said:

I guess if we ignore last year as everyone is doing, that makes sense.  Meanwhile, we got the best player in the draft in Leonard Williams.  Then we got the best player in the draft in Jamal Adams.  Now we’re gifted the best guard in the league for peanuts.  Why aren’t we good?  Maybe all these “best” evaluations need recalibration.

Don't forget the best QB in the 2018 draft.

Chill and enjoy the good times to come.

Archived