Jets trade with Raiders for G Kelechi Osemele

JetsFanatic

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
helmet.jpg

Nobody knows how the Jets trade for offensive lineman Kelechi Osemele will turn out, but you can be sure that the Jets and their fans are hoping that the analysts weighing in on the deal get it right.

NFL analyst Chad Forbes called the deal a “tremendous trade” for a player who is “younger and better” than Rodger Saffold, whom the Jets were expected to pursue in free agency.

Tremendous trade by #Jets landing Kelechi Osemele. Major upgrade. Shocked how undervalued he was by league. Wait to see contract Rodger Saffold signs. KO a Yr younger & better player. Jets can now focus on Center, playmakers & Defense. #NFLHOTStove

— Chad Forbes (@NFLDraftBites) March 10, 2019

Field Yates of the NFL network called it a “lights out” move for the Jets that will obviously benefit quarterback Sam Darnold.

Acquiring a tone-setting OL (yes, a well paid one) that helps your second-year QB for a swap of picks on day three is a lights out move for the Jets. Excellent.

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) March 10, 2019

Matt Miller of Bleacher Report also weighed in on the two-time pro bowler, saying it would bode well for the Jets run game.

Love this for the Jets. Power run game all day. https://t.co/uQqI2LJP6L

— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) March 10, 2019

If things pan out for Gang Green and Osemele regains his form from just two seasons ago, the deal would be a steal for Mike Maccagnan and the Jets.  Should Osemele bomb out in New York, it will put Maccagnan one step closer to the door.

The post Jets Hope Pundits get it Right in Analyzing Deal for Osemele appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
V_39CsDQWAU

Click here to read the full story...

Just now, Creepy Lurker said:

Mac has a long ways to go and there is nothing wrong with praising his good moves. The amount of d*cksucking by everyone like he righted all of his wrongs with 1 trade is sickening. Have some respect for yourselves and team and hold our GM to a higher standard.

If this is the bar that fans set, that is pathetic. Just be doormats that don’t demand any accountability from a horrific GM performance over 4 years. 

I hope Mac kills it and only wish for success for my team regardless of my feelings of him. Hopefully he can learn from his mistakes and get this team on track. It would take YEARS of successful moves (not just 1), until he deserves any credibility again. I’d gladly eat that crow if it happens. Just stop with the premature e-maculation and let him earn his credibility back. 

He just got a cornerstone O lineman for essentially nothing. Relax, this is a really good get.  Give credit where credit is due. You're frothing at the mouth like a CNN anchor.....lol

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

He’s widely been considered one of the best guards in the league for the last 4-5 years.

But not last year.

Would have preferred he be released (which he likely would have been), then signed (for no loss of the 5th) and just use cap to acquire, but Macc knows he can't beat other GM's in the open market, so a trade it is.

Was a decent enough player before last year, we only drop from a 5th to a 6th, and hopefully plus a hole on our O-line.  Hard to be too mad, unless of course, the player continues to slide in play quality.  He's not cheap.

Let's hope he materially rebounds, and isn;t just the next O-line placeholder castoff of the Macc Era..

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

so did Mac finally upgrade from that Dunkin' Donuts swill he likes?  

To be clear, Starbucks is horse piss. They make mostly Dark coffee's which are the easiest to hide lesser quality beans. It's because it's basically burnt!  People think they like it because it's "stronger" but darker coffees have less caffeine. The lighter the roast, the higher the caffeine content. And Yes that includes Espresso. 

Macc knows what the hell he's doing with the D&D.  He know's damn well if he's going to pull an all nighter, Starbucks will fail to deliver the goods!  

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

He just got a cornerstone O lineman for essentially nothing. Relax, this is a really good get.  Give credit where credit is due. You're frothing at the mouth like a CNN anchor.....lol

I gave credit. Praised it multiple times in multiple posts. It’s a really good get and the exact type of transaction that I’ve been talking up lately. You are missing the point or didn’t read properly. Just calling out a douche bag mindset is all. 

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

To be clear, Starbucks is horse piss. They make mostly Dark coffee's which are the easiest to hide lesser quality beans. It's because it's basically burnt!  People think they like it because it's "stronger" but darker coffees have less caffeine. The lighter the roast, the higher the caffeine content. And Yes that includes Espresso. 

Macc knows what the hell he's doing with the D&D.  He know's damn well if he's going to pull an all nighter, Starbucks will fail to deliver the goods!  

Who says our scouts aren't doing their jobs??

9 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Mac has a long ways to go and there is nothing wrong with praising his good moves. The amount of d*cksucking by everyone like he righted all of his wrongs with 1 trade is sickening. Have some respect for yourselves and team and hold our GM to a higher standard.

If this is the bar that fans set, that is pathetic. Just be doormats that don’t demand any accountability from a horrific GM performance over 4 years. 

I hope Mac kills it and only wish for success for my team regardless of my feelings of him. Hopefully he can learn from his mistakes and get this team on track. It would take YEARS of successful moves (not just 1), until he deserves any credibility again. I’d gladly eat that crow if it happens. Just stop with the premature e-maculation and let him earn his credibility back. 

No optimism or happiness allowed around here and don't you forget it.

8 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This is why I like you.  You are rare in your ability to admit when something is good even though it goes against your overall point of view. I try to be the same way.  ( I saw your earlier post praising the deal) At least you're rooting for the team to do well even though you're the Grinch sometimes. ?  

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

But not last year.

Would have preferred he be released, then signed (no loss of the 5th) and just use cap to acquire, but Macc knows he can't beat other GM's, so trade it is.

Was a decent enough player before last year, we only drop from a 5th to a 6th, and hopefully plus a hole on our O-line.  Hard to be too mad, unless of course, the player continues to slide in play quality.

so you'd rather guarantee him money?  Or is that just based on an assumption that he could be had on a one-year deal?  Had Gruden cut him, I think Osemele would have gotten guaranteed money well beyond one year's $10m salary and he would not have been at all interested in a one-year deal with the Jets and the Jets with an option to keep him for 2 years.  Your alternative is riskier.    

A couple of things:

1) The Jets just became more enticing to all of the RB's in Free Agency by adding probably the best run blocking guard in all of football when healthy. That shouldn't get overlooked.

2) I would try to wrangle Rodney Hudson away from the Raiders as well. $8,250,000 cap number and this is his last year of the deal. He was the #4 ranked Center last year. It would probably take our late 3rd to get him but would be well worth it to shore up this offensive line prior to free agency.

19 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

The silence from the Snark Brigade is deafening. 

What are you talking about?  The snark brigade is in this thread.

When the GM makes a good looking move people give him credit when he doesb't he gets abuse as he should.

Mac finally addressing the oline 4 years in only after drafting his Qb is stupid but if he keeps up with the over haul he gets credit.

4 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

If there's nothing wrong with praising his good moves how about you go ahead and DO that then, no? 

Mac isn't perfect, and I'll rip him when needed. But he really can't catch a break with any of you guys. Also, Bowles and Co developed very little for us. I understand it's chicken and the egg with coaches/GMs. That said, you really think Macc reached on all his picks? You guys also straight up make sh*t up. The Spencer Long whining is the best most recent example. 

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I despise starbucks.  Never touch it.  Always bitter.  But Dunkin' donuts is just a cup of diesel fuel.  

Just now, Bruce Harper said:

No optimism or happiness allowed around here and don't you forget it.

Not true at all. There is plenty of blind optimism and fans with no memory that don’t demand better from this team. That’s fine. But to keep calling out posters gets annoying so I decided to give it back.

Sorry if that bothers you but attacking/criticizing the team/GM when warranted should not be met by posters attacking posters. It’s an annoying theme. We are all fans of this team and want success. Some have higher standards than others is all. Attack the team, not the fans. That’s all. 

18 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

This is why I like you.  You are rare in your ability to admit when something is good even though it goes against your overall point of view. I try to be the same way.  ( I saw your earlier post praising the deal) At least you're rooting for the team to do well even though you're the Grinch sometimes. ?  

It would be hypocritical not to. You have to see both sides of an argument and be fair. I’ve gone out of my way to defend Mac moves and give him as much credit as possible. Nothing is black and white. Not just with this team. People need open minds. 

Jets trade a 5th round pick for Kelechi Osemele + Raiders 6th rd pick. 

Jets fans: Awesome deal! Great move Mac!

Raiders trade 3rd and 5th round pick for the league's best receiver, Antonio Brown.

Jets fans: see he ain't all that. He's a head case. Besides we got so many holes.

16 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

premature emaculation.  Yeah... there's a lot of that on this board.  (But far less now that the 200,000 thread is sterile).

Just now, BurnleyJet said:

Good trade, if he returns to near form then it's a great deal.

Not only that but he's a perfect extension guy with no guaranteed money.  If he plays well, guarantee his 2020 and get 2 more years out of him (age 32/33 seasons) lock down the position while Sam is on his rookie deal.

4 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

If there's nothing wrong with praising his good moves how about you go ahead and DO that then, no? 

Mac isn't perfect, and I'll rip him when needed. But he really can't catch a break with any of you guys. Also, Bowles and Co developed very little for us. I understand it's chicken and the egg with coaches/GMs. That said, you really think Macc reached on all his picks? You guys also straight up make sh*t up. The Spencer Long whining is the best most recent example. 

I praised it in multiple posts. Your post calling out people critical of him is what set me off. You defend a front office that failed us and attack posters when we typically just attack the front office and lay blame where it is deserved. You are the worst type of close minded fan when you do that. It’s not just you, I was just tired of seeing it. 

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

so you'd rather guarantee him money?  Or is that just based on an assumption that he could be had on a one-year deal?  Had Gruden cut him, I think Osemele would have gotten guaranteeed money well beyond one year's $10m salary and he would not have been at all interested in a one-year deal with the Jets.  Your alternative is riskier.    

I thought I was clear, Macc couldn't have landed this player in an open market competition, so I don't have nor offer "an alternative".

I would prefer to not have had to drop from 5 to 6.  Thats a preference only.  This was the only way Mac was getting this player, a player who (if, big if, is healthy and performs to past resume) should be an upgrade to our O-line.

I'm fine with this deal, such that it is.  One down, a few dozen more (if we plan to compete) to come, I hope.

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Not true at all. There is plenty of blind optimism and fans with no memory that don’t demand better from this team. That’s fine. But to keep calling out posters gets annoying so I decided to give it back.

Sorry if that bothers you but attacking/criticizing the team/GM when warranted should not be met by posters attacking posters. It’s an annoying theme. We are all fans of this team and want success. Some have higher standards than others is all. Attack the team, not the fans. That’s all. 

Really wouldn't have called it an attack -- just a joke (maybe not a funny one), based on what seemed like a funny time to harp on everything you hate about Mac from the past.  "Good move by the GM, but don't be too happy about it because he really sucks."  Your points are solid but it seemed an odd time for such a negative vibe.  No attack intended.

7 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

So the Snark Brigade are actually victims here and not the professional thread crappers I thought they were. My bad. 

7 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

FFS man, I was just giving you a hard time. 

This place is so touchy....

Just now, Warfish said:

I thought I was clear, Macc couldn't have landed this player in an open market competition, so I don't have nor offer "an alternative".

I would prefer to not have had to drop from 5 to 6.  Thats a preference only.  This was the only way Mac was getting this player, a player who (if, big if, is healthy and performs to past resume) should be an upgrade to our O-line.

I'm fine with this deal, such that it is.  One down, a few dozen more (if we plan to compete) to come, I hope.

Hypothetically....  if Mac could compete with other GMs, would you rather guarantee ... lets say $25-35 million for Osemele, or dropping 56 spots from round 5 to 6 with zero guaranteed money for two years?   And especially because of his injury and sub par 2018 season.  I think the answer should be obvious.  Either way, this would be the preferable deal.  So I'm not buying into Mac did this because he can't compete.  Give me a break.  

Archived