Six Moves That Could Make Jets Playoff Contenders

JetNation

bryce-callahan-121118-usnews-getty-ftr_r

For all of the doomsday scenarios surrounding the “same old jets” and the talk of the franchise having “no talent” on their roster, the fact of the matter is that in today’s NFL, teams can turn things around in a hurry if they have the right quarterback.  So operating under the assumption that Sam Darnold continues on the upward trajectory he ended the 2018 season on, here are six moves that could position the Jets for their first playoff run in almost a decade.

Sign RB Le’Veon Bell:

This is the most obvious move that the Jets should be looking to make when free agency kicks off.  Bell is the best running back in free agency, but he might also be the best wide receiver when he splits out.  His addition changes the entire dynamic of the offense and gives Sam Darnold an elite weapon to work with. 

There are some rumblings that Mike Maccagnan will pursue Tevin Coleman if Bell snubs Gang Green, but if they don’t sign Bell, Maccagnan has to be able to show Chris Johnson that he me the most aggressive offer.  If Bell prefers playing with a dynamic running quarterback such as Lamar Jackson or an established veteran along the lines of Andrew Luck, there’s nothing the Jets can do about that, but they can’t lose out on Bell over money.

Sign Matt Paradis or Mitch Morse:

The two biggest holes on the Jets roster were at left guard and center when the season came to a close. With yesterday’s trade for left guard Kelechi Osmele, one of those two gaps has been filled.  Paradis should be the top choice, but he or Morse makes the offensive line go from a liability to a strength on the inside.  While the Jets are at it, they should be making a few phone calls to recently released guard Josh Sitton to see if he can come in and push Brian Winters at right guard.

Get an EDGE:

As expected, many of the top pass rushers who were due to hit free agency have been retained by their previous clubs, but there are still a couple of options on the table for the Jets.  The Chiefs released pass rusher Justin Houston who has 18.5 sacks over the past two seasons, so the Jets should be picking up the phone to bring him in.

Also a possibility is current Chiefs pass rusher Dee Ford.  Kansas City is reportedly willing to take a second-round pick for Ford, which the Jets do not have in this draft.  Should they be willing to offer their second-round pick next season?  If they aren’t, they should be.  

Another consideration would be Za’Darius Smith of the Ravens who notched 8.5 sacks last season in a part-time role.  

Wide Receiver; Sign one, draft another:

Quincy Enunwa and Robby Anderson form a potentially dynamic 1-2 punch on the outside.  However, a history of injuries for Enunwa and some off-field transgressions for Anderson who the team could also lose as a restricted free agent means the Jets still have to add some quality targets.  An ideal scenario would be to add a player such as Tyrell Williams of the Chargers while letting Enunwa move around and play a large percentage of his snaps in the slot.  If they’re looking to add a low risk/high reward slot receiver, they should take a look at Jordan Matthews.  Drafting a receiver outside of round 1 should also be a priority.

Cover the Slot:

Jamal Adams did an excellent job in coverage while in the slot last season but it’s time to move on from Buster Skrine and free Adams up a bit.  Sure, Parry Nickerson might develop in to a nice slot cornerback one day, but that shouldn’t prevent the Jets from going out and getting a proven slot corner, meaning they should be targeting Chicago Bears cornerback Bryce Callahan.  

Despite finishing the 2018 season with an embarrassing 4-12 record, the Jets held the lead in four different games with under five minutes remaining.  With a more accomplished defensive coordinator and an offensive minded head coach, these moves would be a huge help.  By bulking up the O-line, adding an elite running back and improving their ability to get to the quarterback, there’s no reason why late-game leads shouldn’t hold up more often than they have in recent years, meaning that going from four wins to eight or more with a playoff push shouldn’t be out of the question.

The post Six Moves That Could Make Jets Playoff Contenders appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
I_tSzeLKHNc

Click here to read the full story...

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I fully expect to be a playoff contender this year, new coaching alone will give us at least 3-4 more wins.  Yesterdays move was a great start to help retool the OL, now let's see what we can do in FA.

You do? I don’t. At least 2-3 years away to sniffing the playoffs. Patriots still in division and returning champions. We basically start the season playing for a wild card. 

I came across this graphic and I thought it was interesting.  For those interested in Moneyball type analytics it's a quantitative analysis of player impact (sort of like a DVOA at the player level?)  If you trust it you would pass on Barr and do the trade with KC for Ford.  The x-axis is pass disruption and the y-axis is run stuffing so the closer to the upper right corner the more elite the player while the JAG box is to the lower left.

D05RnxjXQAAHYI4.png

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

You do? I don’t. At least 2-3 years away to sniffing the playoffs. Patriots still in division and returning champions. We basically start the season playing for a wild card. 

We've been playing for a wild card basically since 2003 and we've made it a bunch of times though none recently.  

I expect we'll at least compete for a WC, be in it in the final weeks.  I am of the belief we were a lot more talented than we showed the last couple of years and I think Gase and this staff along with year 2 of Darnold plus all the upgrades I am expecting us to make will least have us in playoff contention.

Yes, I agree that the Jets should go after Bell and the rest.

However, it seems like the focus is on getting a slot CB when the Jets still need a #2 behind Tru. Mo is a FA, so any discussion about signing FA CBs should include him if we are to just assume they will bring him back. 

IMO- the Jets need to resign Mo and go after the big fish- Paradis, Bell and Barr. Then they can see who is still available to fill in the slot WR and slot CB spots. 

Callahan and Humphries are good players that can help this team but not if it means missing out on any one of Bell, Paradis or Barr. If the Jets get those 3 guys they will also have tons of flexibility in the draft. 

19 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

We've been playing for a wild card basically since 2003 and we've made it a bunch of times though none recently.  

I expect we'll at least compete for a WC, be in it in the final weeks.  I am of the belief we were a lot more talented than we showed the last couple of years and I think Gase and this staff along with year 2 of Darnold plus all the upgrades I am expecting us to make will least have us in playoff contention.

Yes. Please. I approve.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Counterpoint: Mitch Morse and ZaDarious Smith would not, in fact, make the Jets a playoff contender and LeVeon Bell wants no part of the Jets.

I'll take Morse and Smith and I absolutely want no part of mr. Big chests best friend ...LOL Bell

55 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Matt Paradis is better than any pther Center we've had on this team the past 2 seasons, bit he's still a below average C. 

He's only an upgrade in the sense that we've had arguably the worst Centers in the league 2 years running.

I'm not an expert on Centers but Paradis is considered to be one of the best, most balanced Centers in the league. Period. He is far from 'below average'. Morse is a bit better in Pass Protection but Paradis is the more balanced guy in the run and pass game. I don't know where you are getting your information from. 

There was nothing to take from last year that suggests the Jets will be a playoff team this year. Nothing, zip, zero. No matter who they sign it's probably not happening. The Jets have been picking at the top of the draft for several years now and there's a reason for that. There are no quick fixes.

The only real hope that the Jets have for the postseason is they have a history of having winning, (mostly) playoff seasons with new head coaches. Herm, Mangini, Rex, should have happened with Bowles but the Jets got kinda jobbed that year and also Bowles completely blew it against Rex of all people.

37 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

There was nothing to take from last year that suggests the Jets will be a playoff team this year. Nothing, zip, zero. No matter who they sign it's probably not happening. The Jets have been picking at the top of the draft for several years now and there's a reason for that. There are no quick fixes.

The only real hope that the Jets have for the postseason is they have a history of having winning, (mostly) playoff seasons with new head coaches. Herm, Mangini, Rex, should have happened with Bowles but the Jets got kinda jobbed that year and also Bowles completely blew it against Rex of all people.

Actually, there are tons of quick fixes.  It happens all the time.  The Colts and Texans were both 4-12 in 2017.  The Rams were 4-12 in 2016, went 11-5 winning the division in 2017 and made the Super Bowl at 13-3 in 2018.  You are correct that there is nothing, other than a coaching change, that suggest the Jets will be one of those teams. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Actually, there are tons of quick fixes.  It happens all the time.  The Colts and Texans were both 4-12 in 2017.  The Rams were 4-12 in 2016, went 11-5 winning the division in 2017 and made the Super Bowl at 13-3 in 2018.  You are correct that there is nothing, other than a coaching change, that suggest the Jets will be one of those teams. 

Except the Colts and Rams weren't quick fixes. The Colts went 8-8 the year prior. The Rams were a borderline .500 team for several years. The Jets have won 14 games over the last 3 years.

It's pointless to draw equivalences with this stuff. Just look at the Jets. Stick to that. It's not happening. This roster hasn't been anything close to a competitive team, let alone a playoff team, for a really long time. You don't fix that big of a hole with just 3-4 impact players which is what the Jets are getting at best this offseason.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Except the Colts and Rams weren't quick fixes. The Colts went 8-8 the year prior. The Rams were a borderline .500 team for several years. The Jets have won 14 games over the last 3 years.

It's pointless to draw equivalences with this stuff. Just look at the Jets. Stick to that. It's not happening. This roster hasn't been anything close to a competitive team, let alone a playoff team, for a really long time. You don't fix that big of a hole with just 3-4 impact players which is what the Jets are getting at best this offseason.

They were 1 win away from a playoff spot 3 years ago, with Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB. 

While the transformation of a playoff team is not normal a quick fix, it is much faster now than any time in NFL history. Of course you have to make the right moves.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

They were 1 win away from a playoff spot 3 years ago, with Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB. 

While the transformation of a playoff team is not normal a quick fix, it is much faster now than any time in NFL history. Of course you have to make the right moves.

Oh jesus ******* christ. Scott, stop.

I disagree.  I keep saying it in the "IT"S A PROCESS!"  "IT IS ONLY THE START OF THE REBUILD" threads.  IMO it only takes 3 years to completely overhaul an NFL roster.  That is completely, stem to stern.  The Jets have the added advantages of tons of cap and a very high pick.  They will be deterred by a lack of overall talent on the roster.  If Darnold is really the man, I don't think they are that far off.  Unfortunately, I have no faith in these guys to get us there. 

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Bad day EY/RutgersJets fan?

Sigh...

Here are the 2015 Jets.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2015.htm

Have a look at that roster. Have a look at those numbers. There is nobody left.

The team that the Jets are rolling with now has won 14 games in 3 years. That's the reality. For the most part, none of them excepting the safety, kicker, and punter, have accomplished anything remotely tangible individually, let alone as a team. There is no evidence, statistical or qualitative, that a few additions turns this team into a playoff team. Literally none. If telling some sort of grand narrative about turnarounds makes you feel better, fine, but it's not rooted in anything.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I disagree.  I keep saying it in the "IT"S A PROCESS!"  "IT IS ONLY THE START OF THE REBUILD" threads.  IMO it only takes 3 years to completely overhaul an NFL roster.  That is completely, stem to stern.  The Jets have the added advantages of tons of cap and a very high pick.  They will be deterred by a lack of overall talent on the roster.  If Darnold is really the man, I don't think they are that far off.  Unfortunately, I have no faith in these guys to get us there. 

What if this is the roster they have to overhaul?

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is year 3 of the total rebuild, this is the year I expect real results.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Sigh...

Here are the 2015 Jets.

The team that the Jets are rolling with now has won 14 games in 3 years. That's the reality. For the most part, none of them excepting the safety, kicker, and punter, have accomplished anything remotely tangible individually, let alone as a team. There is no evidence, statistical or qualitative, that a few additions turns this team into a playoff team. Literally none. If telling some sort of grand narrative about turnarounds makes you feel better, fine, but it's not rooted in anything.

They have won 14 games in three years mostly because of incompetent coaching.  Those days are over, instead of having a HC that underachieved every year he was here we hired a HC that overachieved every year he was in Miami.

There still a ton of work to do but just with the coaching upgrade we will win 3-4 more games.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That's just unacceptable, tbqh.  

It doesn't and shouldn't take 10 years to build a team that competes.

I wasn't seeking approval. I was simply stating the fact that this team is as far away from competing for the playoffs as possible. 

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The hardest part, getting a qb, should be accomplished. Now fill in.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Sigh...

Here are the 2015 Jets.

I was just responding to your "they have not been a playoff contender for a long time". That is simply not true.

And it proves that a mediocre squad can indeed compete, albeit not regularly. 

I said it in a previous post, the Jets now should have the most difficult piece, the qb. Certainly no guarantees, but the process should be more simple if the one doing the building is competent. Much easier in today's NFL than anytime in history.

Sigh...

8 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Sigh...

Here are the 2015 Jets.

59 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Sigh...

Here are the 2015 Jets.

Um, you forgot the kick returner.  Jeez, what a pessimist.

I wasn't seeking approval.

And I wasn't saying you or your opinion are unacceptable.

I was simply stating the fact that this team is as far away from competing for the playoffs as possible. 

I was simply saying that to me the Jets taking that long to be competitive is unacceptable.

Archived