Jets are “big suitors” for Adam Humphries

Rhg1084

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Adam Humphries was an undrafted free agent whose “breakout” season resulted in 10 ypr and 5 TDs. Giving him $9 million per is dumb. Find your own unathletic slot UDFA and give him the minimum. 

He'll get $8-$10 mil per from someone in FA. Supply and demand. He had 76 catches as a slot WR last year. Golden Tate might even command more.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, choon328 said:

I also heard the Jets are interested in Mosley. If they get him or Alexander I would have to assume Lee would be on the trading block.

We shouldn't trade Lee yet. I think under Williams he is going to put it all together. He did well in coverage last season. 

2 hours ago, Sully80 said:

Is Kwon Alexander even any good? read that he only played a few games and got hurt last season.

Had him in fantasy (league with IDP). Was actually pretty good the past few seasons, but more of a tackle guy. He's not the pass rusher you're hoping for.

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

We shouldn't trade Lee yet. I think under Williams he is going to put it all together. He did well in coverage last season. 

He's on the last year of his deal if the Jets don't pick up his 5th year option, which they shouldn't. So if you see an upgrade in FA who will be here long term you're better off getting value for Lee while you can.

4 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Had him in fantasy (league with IDP). Was actually pretty good the past few seasons, but more of a tackle guy. He's not the pass rusher you're hoping for.

Luckily we need that too. Not going to be an overnight process.

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

humph is a jag and not worth the money

he was tampa's wr 4/5

evans dj  oj goodwin

I think you're totally off base here. With Evans and Godwin TB  already has 2 decent WR. Hump was targeted 105 times last year. Hardly a JAG. Trust me he'll get the big bucks in a thin WR market.

26 minutes ago, slats said:

Sure, adding a true #1 WR-type would be awesome, but where is that guy coming from in free agency? 

I don't think the Jets receivers are terrible. Anderson, Enunwa, and Herndon are a decent young group, and Humphries would add the shifty, sure-handed underneath guy that none of them really are. Better than 70% catch rate the last two years with Winston and Fitzpatrick throwing to him. Seems like a quality receiver and a good fit for this team. Otherwise, what? You're penciling Deontay Burnett in at slot? 

Humphries does what Enunwa does. The fact that it’s a bad free agent pool doesn’t really do it for me when you’re talking about paying some other bad team’s castoffs, especially when it seems like that type of player can be found fairly easily, and inexpensively. 

3 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I think you're totally off base here. With Evans and Godwin TB  already has 2 decent WR. Hump was targeted 105 times last year. Hardly a JAG. Trust me he'll get the big bucks in a thin WR market.

Getting the big bucks and being worth the big bucks are not the same thing.  I like Humphries, but $12M per?  Get bent. 

6 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He's on the last year of his deal if the Jets don't pick up his 5th year option, which they shouldn't. So if you see an upgrade in FA who will be here long term you're better off getting value for Lee while you can.

I'm afraid we are going to revisit the James Farrior trade where he becomes a core player on another team. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Humphries does what Enunwa does. The fact that it’s a bad free agent pool doesn’t really do it for me when you’re talking about paying some other bad team’s castoffs, especially when it seems like that type of player can be found fairly easily, and inexpensively. 

The Jets don’t find anything easily.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Probably not, but adding another non-number-one to a receiving corps that’s already a bunch of 3/4’s is silly. 

Meh, what #1 is available?  You got to get someone out there who is consistent and can move the chains for Darnold or at least supplement the run game and get to 3rd and manageable for the kid.  Something they couldn’t do last year.  I think Hump fits that bill from that perspectives.  However, if the 10 mil report is true though, I’d prefer Tate even at his age.  I’d also be good with Jamison Crowder for that same role. 

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets don’t find anything easily.

And so what if he has a similar skillset to Enunwa? This might be news, but most teams in this league have more than 2 receivers. And some of those guys have similar skillsets. It's about time this team build some depth at skill positions. It's long past time actually. Humphries is a GREAT fit on this roster. Yes we'll overpay, but the way the WR market is going, he'll be in line with the rest of the class soon enough.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How inexpensively? Enunwa just signed a 4-year/$36M extension without the leverage of free agency. Enunwa's catch rate is in the mid-50%'s the last two years, Humphries' has been in the low 70%'s. I think they're different players, not that a little redundancy at the WR position is the worst thing in the world, but Humphries is almost certainly an upgrade for the unit at around the cost of Enunwa's extension. 

There will be plenty of things to criticize Mac over this offseason. If he lands Humphries at @ $10M/year, that won't be one of them for me. 

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

PLEEEEEEEASE  :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They can’t even find their own Ryan Switzer 

Enunwa is always knicked up and still seems raw. He isn’t finding soft spots underneath consistently l. Humphries is a good player who you’ll be able to count on for 3 years.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh, what #1 is available?  You got to get someone out there who is consistent and can move the chains for Darnold or at least supplement the run game and get to 3rd and manageable for the kid.  Something they couldn’t do last year.  I think Hump fits that bill from that perspectives.  However, if the 10 mil report is true though, I’d prefer Tate even at his age.  I’d also be good with Jamison Crowder for that same role. 

"They" are projecting Tate to perhaps get as much as $14 mil. Insane money.

5 minutes ago, slats said:

How inexpensively? Enunwa just signed a 4-year/$36M extension without the leverage of free agency. Enunwa's catch rate is in the mid-50%'s the last two years, Humphries' has been in the low 70%'s. I think they're different players, not that a little redundancy at the WR position is the worst thing in the world, but Humphries is almost certainly an upgrade for the unit at around the cost of Enunwa's extension. 

There will be plenty of things to criticize Mac over this offseason. If he lands Humphries at @ $10M/year, that won't be one of them for me. 

I get what you’re saying and it’s fine, but giving the Buccaneers former walk-on slot receiver his giant payday because that’s the best they can do is very, very Jets like. Speaks to an organizational philosophy problem that I wish didn’t exist. 

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Agreed. It’s market value. There aren’t a ton of quality free agents so the average players get paid like all-pros sometimes. That’s just the way it is anymore and that’s fine. It is what it is. 

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm afraid we are going to revisit the James Farrior trade where he becomes a core player on another team. 

We didn't trade James Farrior.  We let him walk.  One of the casualties Parcells left us.  They offered him $3M, he wanted $6M.  The Jets signed Cowart and let him walk.  They were $20M over the cap and had to beg the Texans to take Glenn, Coleman and Young for cap relief.  I think Curtis, Fabini and Mickens all got new deals that year.

2 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Yeah that’s seems steep for a team in the Jets position but he’s by far the best available WR and a consistent 90+ catches a year so It makes sense he has the biggest projection.  That said, he’s never made that before and he’s +30 so that is a little surprising.  

I will say this; if the difference between him and the 2nd tier guys is 2-3 mil, I think that’s worth it.  Can’t really put a value on helping Sam and that’s all it’s about.  This team isn’t contending for sh*t so the spending this year should strictly be thought from a Sam's development angle. 

4 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

After the past few seasons, I don't think money is ridiculous anymore.  Each year the price for average to better than average players has shot up.  

Ok so taking the pulse of the board, do we feel ok with giving Humphries $10M but not ok with giving Bell $15M?

Who is going to have a bigger impact on Darnold?  Who is easier to replace via a draft pick?  Why is Humphries such a high priority?

Archived