Team archer

The Le'Veon Bell Thread

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Le'veon Bell now joins the proud tradition of ex-Steelers to join the Jets: Santonio Holmes, Neil O'Donnell, Plaxico Burress, and Bubby Brister.

SneakyClosedBedlingtonterrier-max-1mb.gif

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

And now the Giants don’t even have the best RB in New York anymore.

saquon barkley is probably the best rb in the league

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

this is the Jetsiest signing of all time

Yeah. I’m not a fan of giving big second contracts to running backs that the team didn’t draft because they for the majority of the time don’t work out. And he missed year. That all said, it’s a deal Macc has to make because of his poor allocation of resources and drafting skills.

It really says something that Bell massively overvalued himself and his market. One of the best running backs in the NFL and the only team willing to give him money (less than the 60 he scoffed at and deleted tweet of) was one of the worst in the league. I think he makes us better but, again, I’m opposed to the way the team is being built. I don’t think he’ll be as successful here unless the line overhaul continues. 

• Upvote 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

6 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

A dead set steal.

This was obviously properly put out by Bell’s agent.

The Jets by putting out the low end of the deal made Bell look silly which is NOT what you want to do and which was not entirely accurate. 

Let the high number be your leak if you are the Jets.  IMO Let a player like Bell win in the media. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

saquon barkley is probably the best rb in the league

He's easily the best RB in the league - there isn't a close 2nd.

We might have 2nd right now but he's not Barkley.

39 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

That’s in an idiotic tweet

Add QB to both and the Jets other RBs and who is more expensive?

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Unless we’re including the years of hidden paid wages due to circumventing the cap, let’s please not ever compare any situation to the pats*. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Come on, stop this.

6 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Reminds me of Bryce Harper in Philly. I dont think Bell was all that enthused to come here, but he wasnt willing to leave one red cent on the table to go elsewhere.

It was absolutely turning into that. Thankfully, the Jets put a deadline to the deal and did not bid against themselves.

That would have been the most Jetsian thing.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

How you doing Sully?

Cloud 9, can't say I always had faith. Now we need some more OL help, CB, an EDGE guy, and be opportunistic if a WR becomes available (i.e. AJ Green), also see if we can move Darron Lee to potentially fill one of these holes. 

Just now, Sully80 said:

Cloud 9, can't say I always had faith. Now we need some more OL help, CB, an EDGE guy, and be opportunistic if a WR becomes available (i.e. AJ Green), also see if we can move Darron Lee to potentially fill one of these holes. 

Said this in another thread. Dont go crazy about the pass rush because they have the pick. The first two are places they needed

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Le'veon Bell now joins the proud tradition of ex-Steelers to join the Jets: Santonio Holmes, Neil O'Donnell, Plaxico Burress, and Bubby Brister.

You forgot the best one...Alan

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

If Mac lost out on other quality free magnets because as was reported he was waiting for Bell than he should be fired IMMEDIATELY!!!

Good Grief!! :( 

Anyone who loses out on quality free magnets should be fired from life.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Said this in another thread. Dont go crazy about the pass rush because they have the pick. The first two are places they needed

That's true. Not signing an OLB would leave us primed to take one of Bose or Allen. I think OL is the biggest concern, corner FA class isn't super strong and we could always bring Claiborne or someone of that ilk around for 1 year.

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Anyone who loses out on quality free magnets should be fired from life.

This is worst than anything I have seen.

Imagine my Refrigerator!!!

• Haha 1

Nice find. 

I am excited for the Bell skeptics, and all Jets fans for that matter, to watch him play every week. 

With other running backs, and personnel packages, opponents can take educated guesses on what the offense is planning to do based on skill set limitations.  Not with Le'Veon Bell.

It might not happen immediately, but at some point next season, the Jets offense is going to be so much fun to watch.  Mainly because of the problems Bell's versatility causes a defense.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

Excellent schematic breakdown on how Bell fits Gase offense:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/13/leveon-bell-free-agency-signs-jets-revamps-offense

The talk over the next few weeks will center around whether Le’Veon Bell’s four-year, $52.5 million deal justifies his decision to sit out 2018 rather than play in Pittsburgh under the $14.54 million franchise tag. On the surface, the answer appears to be no, given that Bell’s new annual salary averages just over $13 million, second among NFL running backs to only L.A.’s Todd Gurley ($14.375 million). But as Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio recently explained, judgment of Bell’s 2019 deal and 2018 decision will be in the eye of the beholder, and it’s not as simple as annual salary vs. franchise tag value.

And so let’s stay out of those weeds and shift our attention to where this move actually matters: on the field. Recently hired Jets head coach Adam Gase loves a good receiving back. He’s never had a top-shelf one, but in his first year with the Dolphins, Gase took pride in some of his offense’s unique adjustments whenever underrated pass-catching back Damian Williams (now a Chief) was on the field. This continued in 2017 and 2018 with Kenyan Drake. When defenses started focusing on the run, Gase, a passing game connoisseur, would take umbrage and motion his running back out wide, creating an empty-backfield formation. From there he’d attack through the air.

With Bell, those empty-backfield formations may well become the foundation of Gase’s passing game. Bell was predominantly a weakside slot receiver in Pittsburgh’s empty sets, where he could work the middle of the field and execute nearly the full route tree.

Yours truly wrote a few weeks ago that cheaper free-agent tailback Tevin Coleman offered better value than Bell because, though not as dynamic a receiver as Bell, Coleman could more than suffice through the air. The one counter-argument I heard from some coaches at the Combine is that Bell has the ability to change directions in his route running, creating separation in a variety of ways, including late in the down. Coleman, on the other hand, like most receiving backs, is a one-cut mover. He can run hardwired slant patterns, but not the variety of pivot and option routes that Bell runs.

What’s interesting, though, is that every coach agreed that Coleman, with his long-striding speed, is a better pure outside zone runner than Bell. Gase over the years has mostly featured classic outside zone runs. Bell, of course, is a better interior runner than Coleman (and maybe any NFL back). His uncanny patience and vision work to set up a lineman’s on-the-move block and to prolong double-team blocks. (Plus, it’s not like Bell isn’t still threatening on those traditional outside zone runs himself.)

Bringing in Bell suggests Gase will expand his rushing scheme. This might explain why the Jets, who have known all along they’d be major players for Bell, traded for Raiders Pro Bowl guard Kelechi Osemele on Sunday. The quickest — and maybe only — way to schematically expand your rushing attack is to get a quality guard. That’s the key position in almost every run-blocking design. With Osemele and Bell together, Gase can build one of football’s most diverse ground games.

Another defining trait of Gase’s scheme will be splitting the tight end alone on the weak side of the formation, with all wide receivers on the other side. Gase, like some in the Jets front office, believes last year’s fourth-round tight end Chris Herndon is a budding star. With Bell aboard, Gase can now leverage running back routes with those tight end routes, creating an either-or combination that puts weakside defenders in a bind. (The Patriots do this masterfully with Rob Gronkowski and James White, especially in the red zone.)

And the last defining trait of Gase’s offense is its use of the slot receiver. Gase wants inside receivers who can run after the catch. The Jets recently agreed to terms with one of the league’s best: ex-Redskin Jamison Crowder. Now, they just need to find a quality perimeter receiver to pair with Robby Anderson. Do that and this offense, built around Le’Veon Bell, has everything it needs to run Gase’s scheme and help develop young QB Sam Darnold.

excellent break down, and really shows how gase and mac are working together to get players that fit his scheme.  To me that was the issue with mac and todd, they never could get on the same page it seemed like with the right guys for the systems, and when they did they just didnt seem to be used to their strengths.  Remains to be seen if Gase will do the latter, but so far on the surface, the synergy between gase and mac seems to be good. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

excellent break down, and really shows how gase and mac are working together to get players that fit his scheme.  To me that was the issue with mac and todd, they never could get on the same page it seemed like with the right guys for the systems, and when they did they just didnt seem to be used to their strengths.  Remains to be seen if Gase will do the latter, but so far on the surface, the synergy between gase and mac seems to be good. 

Lets hope this cooperation continues during the draft. We will need to draft guys that will not only be here in 3-4 years but be able to step in and start once these FO contracts run out. Gonna need homegrown rookie talent to pay Sam when his salary grace period runs out. I like what I’m seeing so far. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Lets hope this cooperation continues during the draft. We will need to draft guys that will not only be here in 3-4 years but be able to step in and start once these FO contracts run out. Gonna need homegrown rookie talent to pay Sam when his salary grace period runs out. I like what I’m seeing so far. 

Cooperation, makes it happen. Cooperation, working together. (Stupid song popped in my head).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

the only issue so far has been barr backing out and it stopping us from getting into the bidding for zdarius smith and preston smith both who would have been targets had we known barr wasnt coming.  Williams wanted barr bad, thats why they targeted him.  

For what its worth, I hear the jets are absolutely livid with the situation and have called the league about it because his decision to back out after him and his agent verbally agreeing to a deal cost them players they would have targeted.  Now will anything come of them contacting the league? probably not, but there are some interesting things being asked for.. Im just glad the jets are trying to fight it since sh*t like this costs teams.  

Mac has to get creative with passrushers now but hteres still talent out there to sign, and a lot of it can come at a decent price so hopefully we hop on it.  So far though a solid solid job. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

the only issue so far has been barr backing out and it stopping us from getting into the bidding for zdarius smith and preston smith both who would have been targets had we known barr wasnt coming.  Williams wanted barr bad, thats why they targeted him.  

For what its worth, I hear the jets are absolutely livid with the situation and have called the league about it because his decision to back out after him and his agent verbally agreeing to a deal cost them players they would have targeted.  Now will anything come of them contacting the league? probably not, but there are some interesting things being asked for.. Im just glad the jets are trying to fight it since sh*t like this costs teams.  

Mac has to get creative with passrushers now but hteres still talent out there to sign, and a lot of it can come at a decent price so hopefully we hop on it.  So far though a solid solid job. 

It is bullsh*t that it happened but Barr isn’t a pure edge anyways. I would have targeted a pure edge and Barr rather than and ILB. No one could have seen that coming though. It’s one thing to not want to come here and use us but it’s another to verbally agree and then back out. That sucks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Interesting.  Are you "connected" to the team or the league?

8 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

First time I’m hearing about the call to the league. It was a pretty bush league move. Thanks for the info. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

Thankfully all the social media nonsense is over and he finally signed.
Bell is a great player, because he sat out 2018 people have totally forgotten
that he's as good as any offensive skill player in the league (Brown, Beckham,
Jones, Green, Gurley etc...):

- He's an elite RB with the receiving/route running skills of a #2 WR

- He has a unique running style where he can slow down, see where the hole is and
accelerate immediately

- He not only has speed he has the power to run over a defender

The offense Gase wanted to run in MIA (with a crappy QB) may actually be seen 

Man you post some exciting stuff. Thanks. 

What’ll really be interesting to watch unfold will be how belichick takes away our best weapon (Bell) and how Gase counters that.

If he can’t, we’ll never sniff a division championship 

Listen, we ALL agree Mac has made some poor decisions drafting. 

You have to wonder how much was Mac and how much of it was the Mac/Todd relationship.  With Todd gone, there is no excuses.  You can sign all the agents you want.  If he doesn't nail this draft, and maybe next years if he gets that, he will be looking for employment.

I had warmed to Bell and had us signing him in my first off-season plan.  To get him and get him at $3-4 million less per year than I thought it would take, was a great job.  That leaves more room for another player.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

nice write up on how gase will be able to use bell. the jets have certainly improved themselves with the free agents so far.  now mac only has to draft some decent players.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, KRL said:

Excellent schematic breakdown on how Bell fits Gase offense:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/13/leveon-bell-free-agency-signs-jets-revamps-offense

The talk over the next few weeks will center around whether Le’Veon Bell’s four-year, $52.5 million deal justifies his decision to sit out 2018 rather than play in Pittsburgh under the $14.54 million franchise tag. On the surface, the answer appears to be no, given that Bell’s new annual salary averages just over $13 million, second among NFL running backs to only L.A.’s Todd Gurley ($14.375 million). But as Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio recently explained, judgment of Bell’s 2019 deal and 2018 decision will be in the eye of the beholder, and it’s not as simple as annual salary vs. franchise tag value.

And so let’s stay out of those weeds and shift our attention to where this move actually matters: on the field. Recently hired Jets head coach Adam Gase loves a good receiving back. He’s never had a top-shelf one, but in his first year with the Dolphins, Gase took pride in some of his offense’s unique adjustments whenever underrated pass-catching back Damian Williams (now a Chief) was on the field. This continued in 2017 and 2018 with Kenyan Drake. When defenses started focusing on the run, Gase, a passing game connoisseur, would take umbrage and motion his running back out wide, creating an empty-backfield formation. From there he’d attack through the air.

With Bell, those empty-backfield formations may well become the foundation of Gase’s passing game. Bell was predominantly a weakside slot receiver in Pittsburgh’s empty sets, where he could work the middle of the field and execute nearly the full route tree.

Yours truly wrote a few weeks ago that cheaper free-agent tailback Tevin Coleman offered better value than Bell because, though not as dynamic a receiver as Bell, Coleman could more than suffice through the air. The one counter-argument I heard from some coaches at the Combine is that Bell has the ability to change directions in his route running, creating separation in a variety of ways, including late in the down. Coleman, on the other hand, like most receiving backs, is a one-cut mover. He can run hardwired slant patterns, but not the variety of pivot and option routes that Bell runs.

What’s interesting, though, is that every coach agreed that Coleman, with his long-striding speed, is a better pure outside zone runner than Bell. Gase over the years has mostly featured classic outside zone runs. Bell, of course, is a better interior runner than Coleman (and maybe any NFL back). His uncanny patience and vision work to set up a lineman’s on-the-move block and to prolong double-team blocks. (Plus, it’s not like Bell isn’t still threatening on those traditional outside zone runs himself.)

Bringing in Bell suggests Gase will expand his rushing scheme. This might explain why the Jets, who have known all along they’d be major players for Bell, traded for Raiders Pro Bowl guard Kelechi Osemele on Sunday. The quickest — and maybe only — way to schematically expand your rushing attack is to get a quality guard. That’s the key position in almost every run-blocking design. With Osemele and Bell together, Gase can build one of football’s most diverse ground games.

Another defining trait of Gase’s scheme will be splitting the tight end alone on the weak side of the formation, with all wide receivers on the other side. Gase, like some in the Jets front office, believes last year’s fourth-round tight end Chris Herndon is a budding star. With Bell aboard, Gase can now leverage running back routes with those tight end routes, creating an either-or combination that puts weakside defenders in a bind. (The Patriots do this masterfully with Rob Gronkowski and James White, especially in the red zone.)

And the last defining trait of Gase’s offense is its use of the slot receiver. Gase wants inside receivers who can run after the catch. The Jets recently agreed to terms with one of the league’s best: ex-Redskin Jamison Crowder. Now, they just need to find a quality perimeter receiver to pair with Robby Anderson. Do that and this offense, built around Le’Veon Bell, has everything it needs to run Gase’s scheme and help develop young QB Sam Darnold.

Nice find.

@KRL You are one of the peeps at JN worth following. 

• Upvote 2