The Le'Veon Bell Thread

Team archer

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

What’ll really be interesting to watch unfold will be how belichick takes away our best weapon (Bell) and how Gase counters that.

If he can’t, we’ll never sniff a division championship 

The problem Bell presents is that it is really, really difficult to "take him away" because he is so versatile. He can run inside and outside, blocks well, and has the skillset of a starting slot receiver. So, how do you take him away? 8 in the box can stop the running, but then you shift him outside and suddenly the D has the wrong personnel on the field. If you go nickel or dime against him, the jets will run the ball.

IMO, only 1 D scheme can slow Bell down and it requires a team to have 3 starting quality Safeties. Big Nickel would be my base package against Bell. Unless all of your starting LB's are really good in coverage. And even that would not neutralize him.  

16 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

First time I’m hearing about the call to the league. It was a pretty bush league move. Thanks for the info. 

yea its out there now so i feel like i can say it... The league actually has a pretty big issue on its hands with this... I'm not sure how many times something like this has happened, but in a period the nfl created to drive FA popularity further, their first real hiccup is this with the jets where they  have a player that agreed to a deal, Would have signed it if it was actual FA, and then backed out costing a team valuable time with other FA. the fact that he backed out so much later and other guys at that position who the team would have targeted signed elsewhere in that time frame is a very bad optic for the league.  Like i said legally the jets have no leg to stand on really since its known players cant sign, but with how the league caves to media pressure its worth holdign their feet to the fire to see if you can get anything. 

22 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It is bullsh*t that it happened but Barr isn’t a pure edge anyways. I would have targeted a pure edge and Barr rather than and ILB. No one could have seen that coming though. It’s one thing to not want to come here and use us but it’s another to verbally agree and then back out. That sucks. 

Agreed.  I know many want to blame The Jets but the Barr situation was not our fault.  It was a sh*tty and unprofessional thing to do.  I hate when players use teams for leverage but at least they dont agree to a deal which shifts our focus away from other targets then change their mind when their real destination ups their offer.  

28 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

the only issue so far has been barr backing out and it stopping us from getting into the bidding for zdarius smith and preston smith both who would have been targets had we known barr wasnt coming.  Williams wanted barr bad, thats why they targeted him.  

For what its worth, I hear the jets are absolutely livid with the situation and have called the league about it because his decision to back out after him and his agent verbally agreeing to a deal cost them players they would have targeted.  Now will anything come of them contacting the league? probably not, but there are some interesting things being asked for.. Im just glad the jets are trying to fight it since sh*t like this costs teams.  

Mac has to get creative with passrushers now but hteres still talent out there to sign, and a lot of it can come at a decent price so hopefully we hop on it.  So far though a solid solid job. 

Probably a pick? But in reality, the Vikings are not at fault, it's Barr and his agent.

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The problem Bell presents is that it is really, really difficult to "take him away" because he is so versatile. He can run inside and outside, blocks well, and has the skillset of a starting slot receiver. So, how do you take him away? 8 in the box can stop the running, but then you shift him outside and suddenly the D has the wrong personnel on the field. If you go nickel or dime against him, the jets will run the ball.

IMO, only 1 D scheme can slow Bell down and it requires a team to have 3 starting quality Safeties. Big Nickel would be my base package against Bell. Unless all of your starting LB's are really good in coverage. And even that would not neutralize him.  

So in other words, we finally have an offensive players that defenses have to be scared of? Awesome. 

2 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

yea its out there now so i feel like i can say it... The league actually has a pretty big issue on its hands with this... I'm not sure how many times something like this has happened, but in a period the nfl created to drive FA popularity further, their first real hiccup is this with the jets where they  have a player that agreed to a deal, Would have signed it if it was actual FA, and then backed out costing a team valuable time with other FA. the fact that he backed out so much later and other guys at that position who the team would have targeted signed elsewhere in that time frame is a very bad optic for the league.  Like i said legally the jets have no leg to stand on really since its known players cant sign, but with how the league caves to media pressure its worth holdign their feet to the fire to see if you can get anything. 

A second rounder would make this all go away, Rog!

20 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

What’ll really be interesting to watch unfold will be how belichick takes away our best weapon (Bell) and how Gase counters that.

If he can’t, we’ll never sniff a division championship 

10 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I'm just delighted we finally have a weapon that requires scheming and game planning to take away / limit. :D

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

Probably a pick? But in reality, the Vikings are not at fault, it's Barr and his agent.

Depends if Barr's deal from Minny was on the table before or after he agreed to sign with NYJ. If after, then Minny have to share the blame.

6 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Seriously, are the Jets really complaining about something that happened during the time the league has dubbed "the legal tampering period"? There are no rules. It's the wild west. To the extent there will be repercussions, they will be felt by Barr's Agent and his clients when he attempts to negotiate during the legal tampering period in the future.

24 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Listen, we ALL agree Mac has made some poor decisions drafting. 

You have to wonder how much was Mac and how much of it was the Mac/Todd relationship.  With Todd gone, there is no excuses.  You can sign all the agents you want.  If he doesn't nail this draft, and maybe next years if he gets that, he will be looking for employment.

I had warmed to Bell and had us signing him in my first off-season plan.  To get him and get him at $3-4 million less per year than I thought it would take, was a great job.  That leaves more room for another player.

We'll see soon enough. 

Hopefully Bowles was at least part of the problem.  

5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Seriously, are the Jets really complaining about something that happened during the time the league has dubbed "the legal tampering period"? There are no rules. It's the wild west. To the extent there will be repercussions, they will be felt by Barr's Agent and his clients when he attempts to negotiate during the legal tampering period in the future.

Dont agree.  Just because they opened the door to negotiate a few days early doesnt ease the damage that was done by a player giving his word and agreeing to a deal and then backing out.  As was mentioned above, would the teams be allowed to back out in the midnight hour and change their minds after agreeing to terms?  Could the Jets come back and tell LB they changed their minds, want to lower the guaranteed money?  Or sign a different back?  If they werent in the tampering period, if it didnt exist the Jets would still have had Barr, made the offer and he would have signed right then, wouldnt have had 3 days to sleep on it and wouldnt have had the opportunity to back out.  I dont see what the start date has to do with anything,  monday or thursday, Barr would have been dialed up and gotten the same offer

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yeah. I’m not a fan of giving big second contracts to running backs that the team didn’t draft because they for the majority of the time don’t work out. And he missed year. That all said, it’s a deal Macc has to make because of his poor allocation of resources and drafting skills.

It really says something that Bell massively overvalued himself and his market. One of the best running backs in the NFL and the only team willing to give him money (less than the 60 he scoffed at and deleted tweet of) was one of the worst in the league. I think he makes us better but, again, I’m opposed to the way the team is being built. I don’t think he’ll be as successful here unless the line overhaul continues. 

Yes, this is a lot of money for a RB.  If you look at the Patriots cap spend on OTC:

• They are run well enough to actually win Super Bowls and not spend up to the cap.  I can guarantee you (and we saw in 2009-2010) that if the Jets are going to be competitive enough to sniff the Super Bowl, it will not be with leftover cap.  My guess is that the whole thing would unravel the following year. 
  • The Jets and the Patriots spend on different things.  The Patriots are spending a lot on several players in the secondary, Brady, Gronkowski and LBs.  Each team spends on different positions, depending on the draft/FA cycle and how well they draft.  

This year is all about getting players so Darnold can develop.  Unfortunately to some extent Bell was a Johnson find someone to model the new uniform signing.  But Bell will help Darnold and the offense.  I would have bit the bullet on more CYA OL signings, even if they did not make complete value sense.  But that is just me.  

51 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Dont agree.  Just because they opened the door to negotiate a few days early doesnt ease the damage that was done by a player giving his word and agreeing to a deal and then backing out.  As was mentioned above, would the teams be allowed to back out in the midnight hour and change their minds after agreeing to terms?  Could the Jets come back and tell LB they changed their minds, want to lower the guaranteed money?  Or sign a different back?  If they werent in the tampering period, if it didnt exist the Jets would still have had Barr, made the offer and he would have signed right then, wouldnt have had 3 days to sleep on it and wouldnt have had the opportunity to back out.  I dont see what the start date has to do with anything,  monday or thursday, Barr would have been dialed up and gotten the same offer

In the words of Otter, "You fu<ked up, you trusted us."

People are funny. One of the best offensive weapons - yes weapon because he is a rb and wr - is signed and people get mad because the gm couldn't find one in the draft. It is ok to dislike Mac but it would be stupid to complain about this deal. 

The money is what it is. Remember the cap keeps going up. Bell basically makes $5 million more per year than Jerrick McKinnon lol. Think about that for a second. 

suprised that barnwell rates this only C+.   we defos didnt spend what he wanted or some crazy amount. which is now routine. collins to skins for 80 million??

almost seems like he's rating how leveon made out and adding the whole RBs get hurt on top.

this is easily a B+ to A move for the Jets

16 hours ago, Pac said:

no way..

so does this mean Macc isn't the anti christ now?

Don't kid yourself.  Mac is still a horrible GM, who is NOT highly respected around the league.  It was foolish to keep him when they cut Bowles loose.  He got taken for a ride by Barr. 

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Don't kid yourself.  Mac is still a horrible GM, who is NOT highly respected around the league.  It was foolish to keep him when they cut Bowles loose.  He got taken for a ride by Barr and inexplicably told Paradis to wait while they were waiting on Bell.  F-ing idiot.  Once again, Mac can't multi-task.  How in the world did we ever acquire (and 4 awful years later deciude to keep) such a handicapped GM?  It is mind boggling.

Drafted Darnold Drafted Adams Signed Bell. That's basically it. His legacy here will be tied into Darnold

Just now, Dcat said:

Does anyone know what the Steelers offered him before he became a hold out?  Wasn't it MORE than what the Jets are giving him?

the steelers contract was just a dressed up version of the franchise tag, structured so they could run him into the ground and then cut him after this season. he did the right thing by holding out for the guaranteed deal 

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Don't kid yourself.  Mac is still a horrible GM, who is NOT highly respected around the league.  It was foolish to keep him when they cut Bowles loose.  He got taken for a ride by Barr and inexplicably told Paradis to wait while they were waiting on Bell.  F-ing idiot.  Once again, Mac can't multi-task.  How in the world did we ever acquire (and 4 awful years later deciude to keep) such a handicapped GM?  It is mind boggling.

None of what you say is true about telling Paradis to wait. 

Archived