The Le'Veon Bell Thread

Team archer

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't kid yourself.  Mac is still a horrible GM, who is NOT highly respected around the league.  It was foolish to keep him when they cut Bowles loose.  He got taken for a ride by Barr and inexplicably told Paradis to wait while they were waiting on Bell.  F-ing idiot.  Once again, Mac can't multi-task.  How in the world did we ever acquire (and 4 awful years later decide to keep) such a handicapped GM?  It is mind boggling.
Dcat you are better than this ... What do Barr and Cousins have in common ???

The Vikings are quickly losing a lot of trading partners.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It is bullsh*t that it happened but Barr isn’t a pure edge anyways. I would have targeted a pure edge and Barr rather than and ILB. No one could have seen that coming though. It’s one thing to not want to come here and use us but it’s another to verbally agree and then back out. That sucks. 

Indeed under the law it is actionable. 

Meaning you give your word and people rely on your word to their detriment (meaning lost opportunity or $$$$$) you can be sued.

The NFL should do something now before a team eventually sues the player, as well as the Agent and the league itself.

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The problem Bell presents is that it is really, really difficult to "take him away" because he is so versatile. He can run inside and outside, blocks well, and has the skillset of a starting slot receiver. So, how do you take him away? 8 in the box can stop the running, but then you shift him outside and suddenly the D has the wrong personnel on the field. If you go nickel or dime against him, the jets will run the ball.

IMO, only 1 D scheme can slow Bell down and it requires a team to have 3 starting quality Safeties. Big Nickel would be my base package against Bell. Unless all of your starting LB's are really good in coverage. And even that would not neutralize him.  

Thank you!

Bell as you indicated is as versatile as he is dangerous.

If Bell plays up to his potential he will be one the best offensive weapons in NYJ history.

34 minutes ago, Lon chaney said:

People are funny. One of the best offensive weapons - yes weapon because he is a rb and wr - is signed and people get mad because the gm couldn't find one in the draft. It is ok to dislike Mac but it would be stupid to complain about this deal. 

The money is what it is. Remember the cap keeps going up. Bell basically makes $5 million more per year than Jerrick McKinnon lol. Think about that for a second. 

Seriously....the dude has hall of fame like talent. 

9 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Dcat you are better than this ... What do Barr and Cousins have in common ???

The Vikings are quickly losing a lot of trading partners.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The Jets NEVER had any deal in place with Cousins.  They made him an offer and then he accepted the Vikings offer  That's fair.  On the other hand, from what I surmise, there was a deal in place for Barr and he reneged.  (Like CB  Winfield did to the Jets many years ago).  That's dirty pool.  Mac got screwed by Barr and his agent.  Not the same at all as Cousins.

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

yea its out there now so i feel like i can say it... The league actually has a pretty big issue on its hands with this... I'm not sure how many times something like this has happened, but in a period the nfl created to drive FA popularity further, their first real hiccup is this with the jets where they  have a player that agreed to a deal, Would have signed it if it was actual FA, and then backed out costing a team valuable time with other FA. the fact that he backed out so much later and other guys at that position who the team would have targeted signed elsewhere in that time frame is a very bad optic for the league.  Like i said legally the jets have no leg to stand on really since its known players cant sign, but with how the league caves to media pressure its worth holding their feet to the fire to see if you can get anything. 

AS I stated above I do believe that the doctrine of detrimental reliance would give the Jets a legal leg to stand on..

What is Detrimental reliance?

"Detrimental reliance is a term commonly used to force another to perform their obligations under a contract (Oral Contracts Count and = an Oral Promise for an Oral Promise), using the theory of promissory estoppel. Promissory estoppel may apply when the following elements are proven: A promise was made (Here the Jets & Barr). The Jets relying on the promise by Barr was reasonable or foreseeable."

17 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Supposedly it was more than he is getting from us

the steelers only offered 10M fully guaranteed (signing bonus) and another 10M roster bonus for 2019. so they could have run him into the ground last year and then cut him loose for less than the 2nd franchise tag 

4 minutes ago, cant wait said:

the steelers only offered 10M fully guaranteed (signing bonus) and another 10M roster bonus for 2019. so they could have run him into the ground last year and then cut him loose for less than the 2nd franchise tag 

This article seems to indicate bigger offers were made by Pitt

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/LeVeon-Bells-deal-with-Jets-worse-than-Steelers-2018-offer-130014231/

4 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Bell told ESPN in October an offer of at least $40 million in guarantees would have facilitated a deal with Pittsburgh. The Steelers offered $17 million guaranteed on a five-year, $70 million deal, Bell says. Though the particulars of those guarantees are unknown, it's likely that $17 million was the signing bonus and they counted the first year as essentially guaranteed since they wouldn't cut him months after doing a deal.

13 minutes ago, cant wait said:

this is what Bell haters miss 

there is no extra money for Bell after Pitt deals him another 400 touches 

he would have just made that franchise tag and his career would be basically over Demarco Murray style 

4 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Bell told ESPN in October an offer of at least $40 million in guarantees would have facilitated a deal with Pittsburgh. The Steelers offered $17 million guaranteed on a five-year, $70 million deal, Bell says. Though the particulars of those guarantees are unknown, it's likely that $17 million was the signing bonus and they counted the first year as essentially guaranteed since they wouldn't cut him months after doing a deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did the same thing guaranteeing the salaries in the 1st and maybe 2nd year instead of making it a signing bonus. His deal with us only has 35 million guaranteed (per reports).

42 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Please can somebody explain knocking getting the top offensive playmaker on the market at a lower value than what he wanted and what people expected him to get?

RBs can be had/drafted at a BETTER VALUE @$475K/year and a rough total of $4M for 4 YEARS!

A GOOD DRAFTER, and MOST of the NFL, will NOT pay a Premium for a position  - RB - that depreciates at a MUCH HIGHER Rate than any other offensive position on the team and are susceptible to career-ending injury on ANY given play when compared to other positions. 

THAT SAID. Mac CAN NOT DRAFT for $hit and it's WHY the Jets - perceived as the NFL's "Johns" for always signing aging past-prime high-priced FA - have to PAY PREMIUM $ for Offensive Weapons. 

In Principle, I'm against paying a RB THAT MUCH in FA, but Jets MUST take advantage of Darnold's rookie contract and surround the QB w/weapons. The Jets are better and I'm happier for it and we DID get a better deal than MOST anticipated, but it still stings to pay a RB $14M/year and a MLB $17M/Year. :mellow:

39 minutes ago, cant wait said:

the steelers contract was just a dressed up version of the franchise tag, structured so they could run him into the ground and then cut him after this season. he did the right thing by holding out for the guaranteed deal 

Correct. The #'s were similar and avg'd $15M/year, BUT only $10M GUARANTEED. 

We gave him $30+M Guaranteed. 

45 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Don't kid yourself.  Mac is still a horrible GM, who is NOT highly respected around the league.  It was foolish to keep him when they cut Bowles loose.  He got taken for a ride by Barr and inexplicably told Paradis to wait while they were waiting on Bell.  F-ing idiot.  Once again, Mac can't multi-task.  How in the world did we ever acquire (and 4 awful years later decide to keep) such a handicapped GM?  It is mind boggling.

The Paradis thing is being misreported as you are quoting here and has since been corrected... The Jets were the first to the table with an offer when he first came to NY and basically told his agent that he wants to go to the country and not a big city. So they used the Jets to get better offers but that is why the Jets pulled their offer... He didn't want to come... Hence the tweet from Gary it takes 2 to Tango... 

34 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Indeed under the law it is actionable. 

Meaning you give your word and people rely on your word to their detriment (meaning lost opportunity or $$$$$) you can be sued.

The NFL should do something now before a team eventually sues the player, as well as the Agent and the league itself.

It’s sounds like a messy situation that can be avoided. For instance, if both parties(player and team) choose to partake in the “legal tampering period” for their own benefit, and agreement in principal should have some sort of penalty for backing out of.

If the player/agent go that far to agree to terms and then leave them at the alter, the team that they sign with should have to cough up a 3rd round pick. Not too steep of a price but not too small where it would keep everyone honest. This should go both ways in case the team backs out and screws the player. 

52 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

AS I stated above I do believe that the doctrine of detrimental reliance would give the Jets a legal leg to stand on..

What is Detrimental reliance?

"Detrimental reliance is a term commonly used to force another to perform their obligations under a contract (Oral Contracts Count and = an Oral Promise for an Oral Promise), using the theory of promissory estoppel. Promissory estoppel may apply when the following elements are proven: A promise was made (Here the Jets & Barr). The Jets relying on the promise by Barr was reasonable or foreseeable."

i mean if theres legal legs to stand on then lets stand away lol im no lawyer just saying i dont see anything coming from the complaints. but again we'll see

36 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It’s sounds like a messy situation that can be avoided. For instance, if both parties(player and team) choose to partake in the “legal tampering period” for their own benefit, and agreement in principal should have some sort of penalty for backing out of.

If the player/agent go that far to agree to terms and then leave them at the alter, the team that they sign with should have to cough up a 3rd round pick. Not too steep of a price but not too small where it would keep everyone honest. This should go both ways in case the team backs out and screws the player. 

Actually this is a FANTASTIC solution IMO!!!

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

Actually this is a FANTASTIC solution IMO!!!

I happen to think it may come in some form of salary cap relief or something, maybe an additional bump for the team, or a compensatory pick awarded, but who knows. at this point im just guessing now at what possible out comes you could get. 

Just now, Chrebetfan80 said:

I happen to think it may come in some form of salary cap relief or something, maybe an additional bump for the team, or a compensatory pick awarded, but who knows. at this point im just guessing now at what possible out comes you could get. 

Comp pick was another option but it wouldn’t dissuade another team from trying to steal that player. They are equally as guilty and need to be kept in line and held accountable for partaking in the transaction. 

9 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

i mean if theres legal legs to stand on then lets stand away lol im no lawyer just saying i dont see anything coming from the complaints. but again we'll see

I hear you...

And I for one am still waiting to see the burnt tapes that had nothing on them  :)

So being a lawyer does not give you big insight into what the NFL does behind the scenes IMO......

But as @Creepy Lurker stated above there has to be some kind of penalty for teams and/or players who unilaterally back out their verbal commitments and then leave the other party harmed. 

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

I hear you...

And I for one am still waiting to see the burnt tapes that had nothing on them  :)

So being a lawyer does not give you big insight into what the NFL does behind the scenes IMO......

But as @Creepy Lurker stated above there has to be some kind of penalty for teams and/or players who unilaterally back out their verbal commitments and then leave the other party harmed. 

yea it all makes sense, just dont know if there will be enough pressure on the NFL to get anything done about it or it'll just be a "ooo youre upset? its legal tampering too bad" . Media pressure is what would force their hand, they are all about optics in this league

1 minute ago, southtown24th said:

Going into 2019, in terms of:

Current RBs

and 

Current RBs/WRs

RBs:

Saquon

Bell

Hunt 

Gurley?

So he's second?

RB/WRs, I will leave up to the experts.

Dead last.  He had 0 yards in 2018.

Once he starts playing again, who knows.  He was pretty damn good before he took a year off whining about his pay (that he'll never ever make back), so he could very well be damn good again.  Or not.

Hence last.  We'll simply have to wait and see what Bell we get.  Elite and hungry....or satisfied and unmotivated after his big payday.

Archived