Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Oh yes the almighty infallible PFF I wonder how they explained Barr never surpassing 4 sacks in a season as a pro

yeah I know, chicks dig the long ball. are you done whining yet?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cant wait said:

the vikings run a straight 4-3 with hunter and griffen on the ends... barr was the piece they moved around to force mismatches 

And if this signing is to put Barr at ILB while we still sign Houston and draft Bosa or Allen fine

 

But Barr is not a pass rusher

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Oh yes the almighty infallible PFF I wonder how they explained Barr never surpassing 4 sacks in a season as a pro

Dude PFF takes more into account than just the number of sacks a guy has. Take a chill pill and bask in the glow of a banner day with the promise of more to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And if this signing is to put Barr at ILB while we still sign Houston and draft Bosa or Allen fine
 
But Barr is not a pass rusher


Greg Williams says he is.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

And if this signing is to put Barr at ILB while we still sign Houston and draft Bosa or Allen fine

 

But Barr is not a pass rusher

Let's try to settle this one...

OVERVIEW

Switched to OLB in 2012, after spending first two seasons at running back. 2013: First Team All-American. Led team in TFL and sacks. 2012: Encouraged to switch positions by new head coach Jim Mora. Second Team All-American. First Team All-Pac 12. Led team in sacks and TFL. Second on team in tackles. Started all 14 games at OLB. 2011: Played in 12 games with seven starts. Also played special teams. 2010: Played in all 12 games with four starts. Winner of John Boncheff, Jr. Memorial Award for Offensive Rookie of the Year. High School: Missed virtually all of his senior season with a broken ankle. SuperPrep All-American. Selected to U.S. Army All-American game but was unable to play. 1,890 rush yards, 20 TD as junior. Misc: Dad, Tony Brooks played fullback at Notre Dame and was a fourth-round pick of the Philadelphia Eagles in the 1992 NFL Draft. Three uncles also played in the NFL.

STRENGTHS

Exceptional take-off speed, acceleration and closing burst. Makes plays effortlessly in back-side lateral pursuit. Outstanding recovery quickness to make plays (when he is out of position). Explosive striker. Can produce "wow" plays when he triggers quickly or releases cleanly and has developed a reputation for knocking quarterbacks out of games (see USC, 2012 and New Mexico State, 2013).

WEAKNESSES

Developing instincts -- late to locate the ball and too easily fooled by play-action and misdirection. Motor runs hot and cold -- does not always apply himself. Can be locked down too easily when engaged -- unrefined hand use. Lacks variety of pass-rush moves and relies too much on natural speed. Average eyes, anticipation and awareness in coverage -- marginal feel. Average base strength -- moved off the ball too easily by tight ends (plays tall).

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 1 (top 10)

BOTTOM LINE

A highly disruptive, athletic specimen with the pass-rush potential to effortlessly emerge as a double-digit sack producer. Is far from a finished product and his best football is still ahead of him, yet he plays the game with more of an offensive temperament and could require some patience. Is the type of rare athlete that could even contribute as an offensive playmaker once he learns to grasp defensive concepts and the game slows down for him. A top-10 talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Dude PFF takes more into account than just the number of sacks a guy has. Take a chill pill and bask in the glow of a banner day with the promise of more to come.

That’s like saying we can’t evaluate baseball players based on how many hits or home runs they make

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And if this signing is to put Barr at ILB while we still sign Houston and draft Bosa or Allen fine

 

But Barr is not a pass rusher

barr is the prototypical 3-4 SAM OLB. if they (hopefully) draft bosa or allen you will have the perfect bookend OLB’s

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Let's try to settle this one...

OVERVIEW

Switched to OLB in 2012, after spending first two seasons at running back. 2013: First Team All-American. Led team in TFL and sacks. 2012: Encouraged to switch positions by new head coach Jim Mora. Second Team All-American. First Team All-Pac 12. Led team in sacks and TFL. Second on team in tackles. Started all 14 games at OLB. 2011: Played in 12 games with seven starts. Also played special teams. 2010: Played in all 12 games with four starts. Winner of John Boncheff, Jr. Memorial Award for Offensive Rookie of the Year. High School: Missed virtually all of his senior season with a broken ankle. SuperPrep All-American. Selected to U.S. Army All-American game but was unable to play. 1,890 rush yards, 20 TD as junior. Misc: Dad, Tony Brooks played fullback at Notre Dame and was a fourth-round pick of the Philadelphia Eagles in the 1992 NFL Draft. Three uncles also played in the NFL.

STRENGTHS

Exceptional take-off speed, acceleration and closing burst. Makes plays effortlessly in back-side lateral pursuit. Outstanding recovery quickness to make plays (when he is out of position). Explosive striker. Can produce "wow" plays when he triggers quickly or releases cleanly and has developed a reputation for knocking quarterbacks out of games (see USC, 2012 and New Mexico State, 2013).

WEAKNESSES

Developing instincts -- late to locate the ball and too easily fooled by play-action and misdirection. Motor runs hot and cold -- does not always apply himself. Can be locked down too easily when engaged -- unrefined hand use. Lacks variety of pass-rush moves and relies too much on natural speed. Average eyes, anticipation and awareness in coverage -- marginal feel. Average base strength -- moved off the ball too easily by tight ends (plays tall).

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 1 (top 10)

BOTTOM LINE

A highly disruptive, athletic specimen with the pass-rush potential to effortlessly emerge as a double-digit sack producer. Is far from a finished product and his best football is still ahead of him, yet he plays the game with more of an offensive temperament and could require some patience. Is the type of rare athlete that could even contribute as an offensive playmaker once he learns to grasp defensive concepts and the game slows down for him. A top-10 talent.

Your cutting and pasting a 5 year old scouting report

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RSJ said:

 


Greg Williams says he is.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

 

Williams is why we made this move he loves Barr.  If he wants to use him as a ILB great but if Barr is supposed to our new EDGE it’s not a good signing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I’m not a big fan of the signing either but I suspect Barr will be moved inside to ILB.  He’s excellent against the run but can’t sniff the qb as an Edge rusher

I’m not opposed to this signing but the fact that people are lauding it before we even know how he’s going to be utilized or how much he’s paid is just showing how desperate Jets fans are for a modicum of placation. The fan base is starved and now they think eating out of a garbage can is acceptable. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I’m not opposed to this signing but the fact that people are lauding it before we even know how he’s going to be utilized or how much he’s paid is just showing how desperate Jets fans are for a modicum of placation. The fan base is starved and now they think eating out of a garbage can is acceptable. 

I think a lot of people just disregard pass rush

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like we are hoping  this guy can be an edge rusher because he really has not done it

 I know he is a very good LB so solid signing at a weak position but I would feel better if thos guy had a few 12 sack seasons.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made the last 4 Pro Bowls, LBer with pass rushing potential who will only be turning 27 in a week....I like it!

Let's see if we can get CJ Mosely too and bolster the hell out of this LBing core

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pair Josh Allen with Antony Barr and holy ******* sh*t 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Wow. Give Mac credit the guy is making moves. 

Mac is going all out to get Jets and Darnold into the playoffs this year

Taking advantage of the 4 year window left...to hoist the Lombardy Trophy...with a franchise QB still on a cheap rookie contract.  

This is what I wanted...and this is what I think Mac is doing.

Gooo for it Mac baby!

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barr went straight into the NFL to a position he essentially never played before and become a 4 time Pro Browler.

And people worry he won't have the acumen to return to his natural position because of layoff?  You tell me which is the harder of those two scenarios?

Not to mention he has an almost identical pass rush success rate as his teammate Hunter, who absolutely no one would question if he could rush the passer.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I’m not opposed to this signing but the fact that people are lauding it before we even know how he’s going to be utilized or how much he’s paid is just showing how desperate Jets fans are for a modicum of placation. The fan base is starved and now they think eating out of a garbage can is acceptable. 

Lol what??

here you go:

The Jets do not have a lot of talented football players. Anthony Barr is a proven,l and highly talented football player.  That is why Jets fans are happy. 

Carry on with your grouch shtick though. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nj meadowlands said:

Lol what??

here you go:

The Jets do not have a lot of talented football players. Anthony Barr is a proven,l and highly talented football player.  That is why Jets fans are happy. 

Carry on with your grouch shtick though. 

Weird. I was told the same thing 4 years ago during the last Macc splurge. None of those signings are still on the team. But you gobble up whatever scraps Macc is throwing without even knowing what it is or how it’s cooked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Weird. I was told the same thing 4 years ago during the last Macc splurge. None of those signings are still on the team. But you gobble up whatever scraps Macc is throwing without even knowing what it is or how it’s cooked. 

Not sure about you, but I pay attention to the league outside the Jets.  So yeah, I know who the player is.  The grouch shtick I respect though  

Gobble gobble. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nj meadowlands said:

Not sure about you, but I pay attention to the league outside the Jets.  So yeah, I know who the player is.  The grouch shtick I respect though  

Gobble gobble. 

It’s not a schtick. It’s simply deductive reasoning and past experiences. The Jets over the last few days have added a few solid players but the team is so vacant of talent that this has barely moved the needle. There are still massive holes in many important positions and I don’t have the confidence in the man making the decision to fill them. Period. It’s not really hard to comprehend why people are skeptical of the moves he’s making considering he’s been a failure every offseason. 

  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

It’s not a schtick. It’s simply deductive reasoning and past experiences. The Jets over the last few days have added a few solid players but the team is so vacant of talent that this has barely moved the needle. There are still massive holes in many important positions and I don’t have the confidence in the man making the decision to fill them. Period. It’s not really hard to comprehend why people are skeptical of the moves he’s making considering he’s been a failure every offseason. 

All of this is completely true, and yet still provides no reason to trash people for being satisfied that the team finally added a little bit of talent.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Seriously, what is he suppose to do?

You don't like his previous signings, and you don't like him as a GM.  So, he goes out and spends the money he has and you accuse him of just trying to save his job and question what on paper have been great moves so far.  Flipside, if he doesn't spend the money, you would be ragging on him for wasting all the money in the war chest.

We get it; some of you guys hate Mac no matter what he does.  Can we NOT just enjoy the FA period?  Just pretend that all the signings are good.  You have all season to complain about how bad a team we have.

I asked football questions about a player I didn’t know anything about. This used to be a place to actually talk football. It also used to be a place for diverse opinions. Now it’s all one way or nothing. No room for debate or calling into question anything we don’t like. Then we’re just “haters”. I wanted answers to specific questions about this player and all I got were butt fumbles and “quit whining”. It’s not surprising because most posters here lack the acumen to have any kind of advanced level discussions. 

You can enjoy the FA period all you like but if you think a few bandaids on gaping wounds is going to suffice, then you’re in for a rude awakening. 

  • Sad 1
  • Butt Fumble 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

All of this is completely true, and yet still provides no reason to trash people for being satisfied that the team finally added a little bit of talent.  

Who did I trash in this thread? That’s just a complete fallacy. 

  • Sad 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I asked football questions about a player I didn’t know anything about. This used to be a place to actually talk football. It also used to be a place for diverse opinions. Now it’s all one way or nothing. No room for debate or calling into question anything we don’t like. Then we’re just “haters”. I wanted answers to specific questions about this player and all I got were butt fumbles and “quit whining”. It’s not surprising because most posters here lack the acumen to have any kind of advanced level discussions. 

You can enjoy the FA period all you like but if you think a few bandaids on gaping wounds is going to suffice, then you’re in for a rude awakening. 

So what's the fix Carl?  Do nothing?  Keep the $100 million in a war chest?  Mac has made many mistakes.  But he has gone out and got a pro-bowl guard, a decent slot receiver, and one of the top LBer's on the market...and free agency hasn't even technically started!  Are three starters bandaids now?  What exactly has to be done to pull the bandaids off and say the wound is fixed? 

No one will argue Mac has to draft better.  If that doesn't happen this year, he may very well be gone.  But I think it is fair to give credit where it is due.  The guy has gone out and filled three holes so far with about the best possible prospects that are on the market. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

How's it feel to be " out of the closet"??

I used a different user name for a while on here and then I decided "eh F*ck it, IDK any of you guys anyway" haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I asked football questions about a player I didn’t know anything about. This used to be a place to actually talk football. It also used to be a place for diverse opinions. Now it’s all one way or nothing. No room for debate or calling into question anything we don’t like. Then we’re just “haters”. I wanted answers to specific questions about this player and all I got were butt fumbles and “quit whining”. It’s not surprising because most posters here lack the acumen to have any kind of advanced level discussions. 

You can enjoy the FA period all you like but if you think a few bandaids on gaping wounds is going to suffice, then you’re in for a rude awakening. 

there’s reasons to be skeptical, but it’s objectively true that barr is a good player at a position of desperate need- the jets paid a premium because this is a player just entering his prime and are projecting to get a boost from the change in scheme. I’d compare it to the calvin pace deal a while back, he was much more productive at OLB in the rex 3-4 than he was in the AZ 4-3. although IMO barr has significantly more upside here

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bla bla bla said:

I used a different user name for a while on here and then I decided "eh F*ck it, IDK any of you guys anyway" haha

You kinda do.  That is, know us.   Whether or not that's a good thing, I'm not sure.  Keep bla bla bla.  It's catchy and appropriate for the forum, that I am sure of.   😀 Regards.

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm so pumped for this move!!

Just watched your Crowder vid a little while ago. You forgot to mention Andre Roberts as the PR last year. Unless you are assuming he's gone of course.  I almost commented but I figured I'd leave your page alone over there. Come back here to get sh*t on. It's a more appropriate setting.  lol

Good vid!  

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...