Who is Plan B at center?

jetscrazey

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, BCJet said:

With what pick exactly?

There are 3 good centers in this draft. A late first in Bradbury, a second rounder in Jenkins and a second rounder in Eric McCoy.  

We don’t have a second round pick.  

Conner McGovern,  Jesse burkett, Ross piershbacher, there are several centers in rounds 3 to 5 that can play.

Didn't know that Brett Jones was a FA. 

He did a decent job as a starter for the Giants in 2017, and as a fill-in starter for the Vikings early last year.

I'd take a look at him. Would compete to start at Center, and at the very least would add quality interior depth.

Jones, or Wisniewski, probably the best options still out there.

21 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I cut and pasted this from Costello's article in the Post.  Sounds to me like "the plan" is Harrison full stop...

3. The Jets still need help at cornerback and at pass rusher (which probably will come in the draft). One position that has been focused on is center, but I suspect they like Jonotthan Harrison more than most fans do, and he could be their starter.

I had a conversation with someone inside the Jets a few weeks ago, and they said one of the tricky things in free agency is evaluating some of the big-money free agents versus players they already have who might be cheaper. The example used was Harrison against the free-agent centers people are talking about. The point was that Harrison played pretty well down the stretch last year, when he replaced Spencer Long, and his price tag was going to be much less than someone like Matt Paradis or Long.

At the time, I thought it was more of a theoretical conversation. Now, I’m starting to think the Jets are OK with Harrison there.

The Jets did express some interest in Paradis, who reportedly reached a deal with the Panthers on Tuesday. The Jets did not ever offer him a contract. The way I understand it is Paradis was a possibility if other things did not occur in free agency. The Jets entered with a Plan A for how they wanted to attack free agency. It feels like Paradis was part of Plan B if they did not land some of their top targets.

Well there you go. They like Harrison enough. He is our stop gap.

I expect them to use a 3rd or a 4th rounder on a Center. 

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Was just think about him....picked him up late last year. Injuries have set him back, but they are keeping him around for a reason.

His draft history was interesting. Projected 3-4 rounder that fell to UDFA due to injuries.

I'd really like to see us bring back Dozier as well. He can actually play all 3 line positions (C, G & OT)

On 3/12/2019 at 4:50 PM, JiF said:

Seems like they’re perfectly fine with Harrison and rightfully so, he played fine when he was on there.  

I know this isn't going to be popular, but I think your right.

Harrison played  pretty well last season when finally given the chance.  The Jets didn't seem to make any kind of move for Morse, or Paradis.  That really surprised me.  Have to assume Gase watched the tapes, and decided he's the guy.  Can't think any other reason they didn't even make an offer to either.

21 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I cut and pasted this from Costello's article in the Post.  Sounds to me like "the plan" is Harrison full stop...

3. The Jets still need help at cornerback and at pass rusher (which probably will come in the draft). One position that has been focused on is center, but I suspect they like Jonotthan Harrison more than most fans do, and he could be their starter.

I had a conversation with someone inside the Jets a few weeks ago, and they said one of the tricky things in free agency is evaluating some of the big-money free agents versus players they already have who might be cheaper. The example used was Harrison against the free-agent centers people are talking about. The point was that Harrison played pretty well down the stretch last year, when he replaced Spencer Long, and his price tag was going to be much less than someone like Matt Paradis or Long.

At the time, I thought it was more of a theoretical conversation. Now, I’m starting to think the Jets are OK with Harrison there.

The Jets did express some interest in Paradis, who reportedly reached a deal with the Panthers on Tuesday. The Jets did not ever offer him a contract. The way I understand it is Paradis was a possibility if other things did not occur in free agency. The Jets entered with a Plan A for how they wanted to attack free agency. It feels like Paradis was part of Plan B if they did not land some of their top targets.

This is the only thing that makes sense.  If Gase is good with him, why wouldn't I be?

21 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I liked Harrison last year BUT....

The jets liked wesly Johnson and made him starter....gag

The jets like spencer long and made him starter ....gag

The jets evaluation of players gives the fan base so little reason to  trust them on things like this.

Who was Wesley Johnson protecting

On 3/12/2019 at 4:59 PM, WayneChrebet80 said:

How? The Jets oline was atrocious the last six games of the year. 

Harrison just looked good because he wasnt snapping the ball over the QBs head

I'd love to know what games some of you watch.

The OL was OK.  Not great, get that, room to improve without a doubt.  But Darnold wasnt running for his life a year ago, have no idea why, other than to say something negative about the OL do you think he would this year.  

Only bad stretch was when our C was injured, couldnt snap and the idiot of a HC left him in to fail.  

I'd take edge rusher over C, CB over C....

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The OL was OK.  Not great, get that, room to improve without a doubt.  But Darnold wasnt running for his life a year ago, have no idea why, other than to say something negative about the OL do you think he would this year.  

Only bad stretch was when our C was injured, couldnt snap and the idiot of a HC left him in to fail.  

That's simply not true.  The OL was horrible.  In the last four games Darnold was sacked 10 times (it would have been more but Darnold can scramble) and they rushed for 78, 90, 47 and 104.  The 104 included one Darnold scramble of 28 yards.  There were very few clean pockets for Sam.  The OL was and still should be priority #1. 

Travis Swanson played C for Gase and could be agreeable to sign, and is maybe just waiting for Mac to get back to his agent after getting something done at pass rusher and CB. Same with Wisniewski and Sitton. 

One or two of these guys can at least hold the fort as starters or for depth, until someone is drafted (3rd round) to be groomed as a future starter.

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

That's simply not true.  The OL was horrible.  In the last four games Darnold was sacked 10 times (it would have been more but Darnold can scramble) and they rushed for 78, 90, 47 and 104.  The 104 included one Darnold scramble of 28 yards.  There were very few clean pockets for Sam.  The OL was and still should be priority #1. 

Absolutely. Sam was constantly under duress. His development early in the year was totally hindered by our pathetic OL. Sam adjusted mid season but was still constantly running for his life and dealing with way too much pressure. Macc has made some nice moves this FA period but he has to upgrade this band of bozos. ? The OL is probably the hardest group to upgrade, especially if they all stink. 5 players, practically half your offense and we need a good blocking TE, that’s 6. So far he’s gotten 1. These guys are hard to replace due to numerous factors (dead cap money, finding a better player, cost, risk vs. reward, etc.) Regardless, Macc has to build a fortress around Sam this year and next.

On 3/14/2019 at 11:15 AM, section314 said:

Was just think about him....picked him up late last year. Injuries have set him back, but they are keeping him around for a reason.

Toth is repped by the same agency that Paradis is.  Whatever those brothers are who are big Jets fans and used to post over on JI.

I'd copy the link, but I can't remember the guys name or his agency.

37 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

There you go. You don’t spend big guarenteed $ on that. Sucks we have no good options at center.

Yup.  And one of the limitations of the legal tampering period is you can't bring a guy in for a medical exam.  Carolina was willing to take a chance on him without evaluating meds.  If he is healthy, could be a great deal for them; but they had no way of knowing when they made the offer. 

24 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Absolutely. Sam was constantly under duress. His development early in the year was totally hindered by our pathetic OL. Sam adjusted mid season but was still constantly running for his life and dealing with way too much pressure. Macc has made some nice moves this FA period but he has to upgrade this band of bozos. ? The OL is probably the hardest group to upgrade, especially if they all stink. 5 players, practically half your offense and we need a good blocking TE, that’s 6. So far he’s gotten 1. These guys are hard to replace due to numerous factors (dead cap money, finding a better player, cost, risk vs. reward, etc.) Regardless, Macc has to build a fortress around Sam this year and next.

You build an OL by investing draft capital in it.  It is an asset that you can't even buy.

Look at the LBs and S that teams were able to buy.   You build a team with a good offense by drafting OL, WR and QB obviously, and then you draft and develop defensive players other than EDGE and maybe CB lower.  

An EDGE could be there for the Jets this year, which means that there is likely no OL in RD 1.  But if I am Mac, I am drafting lots of OL after RD 1, and not getting cute about it.  

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

Toth is repped by the same agency that Paradis is.  Whatever those brothers are who are big Jets fans and used to post over on JI.

Isn't it Voyerchuck, something like that?

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Gary Vaynerchuk.  Vayner Sports.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

We could draft Jesus Christ, Superman and Santa Claus with our first 3 picks in this year's draft and people would complain that they don't play center.

You're 100% right, the offensive line wasn't terrible last year and Spencer Long wasn't horrible.  It was just highlighted by piss poor coaching, and coaching decisions - I'm guessing with our new OL coach and with a new offensive system we will see a vast improvement.

But, our little Jet Nation echo chamber started screaming about a Center 3 months ago...so here we are.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

You build an OL by investing draft capital in it.  It is an asset that you can't even buy.

Look at the LBs and S that teams were able to buy.   You build a team with a good offense by drafting OL, WR and QB obviously, and then you draft and develop defensive players other than EDGE and maybe CB lower.  

An EDGE could be there for the Jets this year, which means that there is likely no OL in RD 1.  But if I am Mac, I am drafting lots of OL after RD 1, and not getting cute about it.  

Yup exactly. Solve the edge problem in the draft with Josh Allen at 3, or Montez Sweat if we trade back in the top 10. Although, would be really happy with taking TJ Hockenson after a trade down.

After that the draft is deep in Centers and Guards. I’d take one of each and a WR.

12 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Paradis was a practice squadder as well. 

18 minutes ago, varjet said:

Good approach you make. But the problem is we have a young QB that needs to be protected NOW not in 2-3 years. It has to be a combination of FA, draft picks and possible trades to upgrade this hole in the wall OL. So far Macc’s made 1 move. Crossing my fingers and toes he sees the light.

36 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

We could draft Jesus Christ, Superman and Santa Claus with our first 3 picks in this year's draft and people would complain that they don't play center.

You're 100% right, the offensive line wasn't terrible last year and Spencer Long wasn't horrible.  It was just highlighted by piss poor coaching, and coaching decisions - I'm guessing with our new OL coach and with a new offensive system we will see a vast improvement.

But, our little Jet Nation echo chamber started screaming about a Center 3 months ago...so here we are.

People were posting that they were afraid for Darnolds life vs Minny, Denver etc.  He was going to get killed.  Injured.  Maybe he should be kept on the bench.

The line needs to be improved, for lots of reasons.  Not to the degree some post

44 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Good approach you make. But the problem is we have a young QB that needs to be protected NOW not in 2-3 years. It has to be a combination of FA, draft picks and possible trades to upgrade this hole in the wall OL. So far Macc’s made 1 move. Crossing my fingers and toes he sees the light.

Based upon  my understanding of the C and G available in this draft, it would appear to me that Mac could upgrade the C position if he takes one in rd 3 maybe 4.  Upgrade means better than what we have, not necessarily what we need.  

It is also possible that a Wisniewski or Brett Jones are brought in, but I somehow doubt it. 

Teams will take a C  before the Jets in Rd 3 if they need one.  Otherwise, there is too much pressure to take a player that can contribute right away, particularly on offense.  

So it is possible that KC, Denver, Giants and others take C in rds 1-2.  But somebody decent from a big school will be there in the 3rd. 

Just like Pat Elflein was.  But Mac has to pick that player, unless he is positive the position is covered.   

Remember what happened to Idzik in 2014 when he thought he had WR, CB and OL covered?  That will happen to Mac if he blows this.  If I were him, I CYA if I draft a C in the 3rd.  

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

Based upon  my understanding of the C and G available in this draft, it would appear to me that Mac could upgrade the C position if he takes one in rd 3 maybe 4.  Upgrade means better than what we have, not necessarily what we need.  

It is also possible that a Wisniewski or Brett Jones are brought in, but I somehow doubt it. 

Teams will take a C  before the Jets in Rd 3 if they need one.  Otherwise, there is too much pressure to take a player that can contribute right away, particularly on offense.  

So it is possible that KC, Denver, Giants and others take C in rds 1-2.  But somebody decent from a big school will be there in the 3rd. 

Just like Pat Elflein was.  But Mac has to pick that player, unless he is positive the position is covered.   

Remember what happened to Idzik in 2014 when he thought he had WR, CB and OL covered?  That will happen to Mac if he blows this.  If I were him, I CYA if I draft a C in the 3rd.  

Definitely should have taken a center over the course of the last two years. He’s been a horrible draft GM which causes one to pause that he’ll fix this OL through the draft. It’s just not his forte. Coffee ️ YES- evaluating draft picks NO!

Archived