Poll: Your guess as to why players won't sign here

TuscanyTile2

Poll: Your guess as to why players won't sign here  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Your guess as to why players won't sign here (you can put multiple answers)

• Players have a negative association of the franchise
    • Adam Gase (players don't want to play for him)
    • Gregg Williams (players don't want to play for him)
    • High State Tax
    • Players don't like NY as a place to live (or for their families)
    • Other (specify in comments)
    • This is a stupid poll

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/20/2019 at 01:55 AM

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

Bell wants more money and a SB contender

Ask a Steeler fan about that.  

I want Bell's skills on the Jets, like most, but man did he do a number on that franchise. He is about the money and little else, which is forgivable in the pro game. But let's not pretend he operates with a particular team-first mentality. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think the general perception of the Jets as a bad franchise and the fact that a surprising number of football players (from rural areas) don't want anything to do with the NYC area.

I live less than 10 miles from the Jets facility, which is  in Florham Park NJ,  and it is nothing remotely like NYC or any suburb close to NYC.  NW NJ and Morris County, especially western Morris County, is semi-rural.  There are trees, lakes, rivers, bears, foxes, deer, hawks, bald eagles, etc.  There are no street lights or sidewalks in many towns . Lots and houses are large.  It is no different than any other suburban or rural suburban area in the US.  It is not the area around the Jets facility that is turning people away.  Morris County is closer to Pennsylvania than it is to NYC.  

46 minutes ago, jeffkitref said:

I agree with #3.  My best guess would be Jets fans as well...we are an insufferable bunch who boo our own team in our stadium, fans from the opposing teams go to the stadium which has a multiplying effect as well.   The players see that and probably don't want any part of it. 

Throw yourself down some stairs.

11 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I live less than 10 miles from the Jets facility, which is  in Florham Park NJ,  and it is nothing remotely like NYC or any suburb close to NYC.  NW NJ and Morris County, especially western Morris County, is semi-rural.  There are trees, lakes, rivers, bears, foxes, deer, hawks, bald eagles, etc.  There are no street lights or sidewalks in many towns . Lots and houses are large.  It is no different than any other suburban or rural suburban area in the US.  It is not the area around the Jets facility that is turning people away.  Morris County is closer to Pennsylvania than it is to NYC.  

I can attest to the fact that much of Jersey west of the GSP is an uninhabitable rural backwater.

Barr backed out on us.  Paradis signed in Carolina.  CJ Mosely didn't want to leave the Ravens (but agreed to because we overpaid).  It's unclear if Bell is just using the Jets to get a better contract elsewhere.
What are your best guesses as to the root causes of this?

My very honest guess is that the core fans make a big deal and light the lynching torches after only a few hours that don’t go as they thought it should.

This thread is a solid example of what I’m talking about. The Fire Maccagnan thread is even better.

All NFL teams have problems and negatives but the jets cocktail of objections is pretty unique 

Shared stadium, bad weather, high taxes, high cost of living. 

The owner is out of country and actually just put his brother in charge even though there is no evidence that he has ever run even a lemonade stand 

The GM is going into his make or break year with an entirely new staff so there may be a situation next year where a new GM is brought in but he had to keep the current staff 

New Jersey. Sorry but for a sport played mostly by West coast kids and southern kids it's not a draw. I love parts of new jersey but the national perception is not flattering. 

Jets fans booing the 1st pick every year. 

Crazy eyes memes 

Playing in a division with Brady and belicheat 

Damn that's depressing lol

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

My very honest guess is that the core fans make a big deal and light the lynching torches after only a few hours that don’t go as they thought it should.

This thread is a solid example of what I’m talking about. The Fire Maccagnan thread is even better.

Don’t bash my thread man. It was made because it was justified. Jury is out for 2019 offseason as it’s still underway but 2015-2018 is in the books and Mac has been pure garbage. This offseason is an incomplete which is only fair since it’s early. 

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

All NFL teams have problems and negatives but the jets cocktail of objections is pretty unique 

Shared stadium, bad weather, high taxes, high cost of living

The owner is out of country and actually just put his brother in charge even though there is no evidence that he has ever run even a lemonade stand 

The GM is going into his make or break year with an entirely new staff so there may be a situation next year where a new GM is brought in but he had to keep the current staff 

New Jersey. Sorry but for a sport played mostly by West coast kids and southern kids it's not a draw. I love parts of new jersey but the national perception is not flattering. 

Jets fans booing the 1st pick every year. 

Crazy eyes memes 

Playing in a division with Brady and belicheat 

Damn that's depressing lol

The bolded above should not be underestimated by fans. These are very real issues and reasons why we have an uphill battle with free agents/coaches. 

36 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Don’t bash my thread man. It was made because it was justified. Jury is out for 2019 offseason as it’s still underway but 2015-2018 is in the books and Mac has been pure garbage. This offseason is an incomplete which is only fair since it’s early. 

Bump 

lol 

It may have been made because it was justified. It is routinely bumped for another reason.  If the offseason is incomplete why was a very one sided thread bumped earlier today when we hit some snags?  

7 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Bump 

lol 

It may have been made because it was justified. It is routinely bumped for another reason.  If the offseason is incomplete why was a very one sided thread bumped earlier today when we hit some snags?  

Fans get emotional. It happens. It’s too early to lay blame on the Paradis situation so I disagree with the Mac rage today despite my hatred for him.

It’s premature until we know what really happened. Things started out pretty damn good until today so I’m not going to kill him for this year.....yet.

When it’s warranted, then I will criticize. Anything prior to 2019 is already in the books and you know my feelings about that and I am choosing to separate those years from this year. 

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Fans get emotional. It happens. It’s too early to lay blame on the Paradis situation so I disagree with the Mac rage today despite my hatred for him.

It’s premature until we know what really happened. Things started out pretty damn good until today so I’m not going to kill him for this year.....yet.

When it’s warranted, then I will criticize. Anything prior to 2019 is already in the books and you know my feelings about that and I am choosing to separate those years from this year. 

Today sucked didn't it?   lol 

Just now, GREENBEAN said:

Today sucked didn't it?   lol 

Disappointing since there are no viable center options and that was a serious need. The Barr thing isn’t the end of the world but I wanted to accumulate as much talent as possible realizing that we will miss out on players

. It was just weird to have a “done deal” on a good move and then fall apart. I’d rather just not have had it in the first place. So it stings more. Yes today sucked except for locking up Anderson. 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Never seen a group of people whipsaw through emotions to quickly 

I'm telling ya. I feel the same way.  We had Macc haters jumping back in with Team Spirit yesterday.  Today The Fire Maccagnan thread is in full swing. *sorry @Creepy Lurker   And  we entire threads dissecting why players won't come to NY. Every thread today is splattered with Macc sucks! 

Oh.. and FA starts tomorrow   lol 

Just now, GREENBEAN said:

I'm telling ya. I feel the same way.  We had Macc haters jumping back in with Team Spirit yesterday.  Today The Fire Maccagnan thread is in full swing. *sorry @Creepy Lurker   And  we entire threads dissecting why players won't come to NY. Every thread today is splattered with Macc sucks! 

I am a Mac hater through and through. Don’t get me wrong. Just being unbiased and fair in my assessments.

No one can expect any order on this board at the moment. It’s the craziest time of year so just let all the sh*t fly and have fun. There is no order. 

Other - the team name Jets was chosen because of the nearby airport at shea stadium.Named after commercial airliners. 

Product packaging is one of worst in league 

Hopefully new uniforms help to change the product

team chant JETS JETS JETS is similar to high school team chants.

Never had identity always should have been a wide open speedster team 

these players like Cousins and Bell with expected short turnarounds on their contracts (3 years) aren't signing here because they think their value will plummet. 

Kirk didn't come here cause he did believe he'd get another 25-30/a year contract in 3 years. 

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Didn't Barr say something like he felt physically ill at the thought of going to the Jets?  lol

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

The bolded above should not be underestimated by fans. These are very real issues and reasons why we have an uphill battle with free agents/coaches. 

Coming here you are giving up on the playoffs 

You are playing for a road game in the wild card round because you are not winning the division 

It naturally attracts guys who value money over winning 

Viscous cycle 

Just now, Larz said:

Coming here you are giving up on the playoffs 

You are playing for a road game in the wild card round because you are not winning the division 

It naturally attracts guys who value money over winning 

Viscous cycle 

Oh I’m not discounting that at all and you are right. I’m just saying those issues that are out of the team’s control, hurts our chances against even the players looking for a payday. It’s just not an appealing market for those reasons. 

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Didn't Barr say something like he felt physically ill at the thought of going to the Jets?  lol

I don't know. Did he?   That's pretty funny if he did.  

Listen. I was born in NJ and lived in NYC for a bit.  I left if 2006 at 33 years old and it would take at least $3 mil per year for me to come back to live there. I can totally understand why some of these guys wouldn't want to. Especially after being an a City like Minneapolis where they honor their people and love their players to death. It's very supportive and the news papers aren't trying to find ways to trick the players into saying something  controversial. The city is immaculate and stadium is absolutely stunning. I was there recently. I watched the Jets/Denver game in a sports bar there this past year. It was great! 

All a player has to do is come here to see us for 1 hour before signing with the Jets and it's over. lol  

31 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I am a Mac hater through and through. Don’t get me wrong. Just being unbiased and fair in my assessments.

No one can expect any order on this board at the moment. It’s the craziest time of year so just let all the sh*t fly and have fun. There is no order. 

Yeah man. For sure. You're one of the good ones... Kinda.  lol 

I have the same feelings and see the same stuff as everyone else here. but the mood swings are truly incredible. It's almost insanity. If there was a good shrink on here, most of the posters would be committed. 

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Yeah man. For sure. You're one of the good ones... Kinda.  lol 

I have the same feelings and see the same stuff as everyone else here. but the mood swings are truly incredible. It's almost insanity. If there was a good shrink on here, most of the posters would be committed. 

It’s 100% the most crazy time of year and this offseason is the most important one since 2015 so I expect much more insanity. 

11 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Listen. I was born in NJ and lived in NYC for a bit.  I left if 2006 at 33 years old and it would take at least $3 mil per year for me to come back to live there. I can totally understand why some of these guys wouldn't want to. Especially after being an a City like Minneapolis where they honor their people and love their players to death. It's very supportive and the news papers aren't trying to find ways to trick the players into saying something  controversial. The city is immaculate and stadium is absolutely stunning. I was there recently. I watched the Jets/Denver game in a sports bar there this past year. It was great! 

All a player has to do is come here to see us for 1 hour before signing with the Jets and it's over. lol  

There is no doubt that NY is a tough town that has very passionate and opinionated fans and media outlets to match.  You need thick skin to play here and many players just aren't built for this town, plain and simple.  They would rather play in a city where there's only one or two beat writers and the fans politely clap when their favorite player drops a game winning pass.  NY is a fishbowl, but man, if you win HERE, there is NOTHING that matches it anywhere else. 

I want players with the guts to come here and dare to be great.  Wimps need not apply.  Barr was a wimp.  Good riddance. 

Franchise is a joke for most of 50 years and counting.

GM is the latest in a long string of losers who obviously sucks at their job.

Coach is crazed-goggle-eyed wierdo with no resume of any success as a HC.  Yet he's still better than the last 24 Coaches somehow....

Our only good players are is a QB who probably isn't old enough to drink yet and is exclusively about potential, and a f'ing Safety who never ever shuts up. 

We play in one of the worst places to live, and to get taxed, in America.  

We play in the same division are the greatest team, coach and QB in NFL history.

The fans are by and large amongst some the worst and most classless in the NFL.

New York sports media is a rotten cesspool inside the corpse of a dead syphilitic whore.

There is literally no reason a guy with options would ever sign with the New York Jests.

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

There is no doubt that NY is a tough town that has very passionate and opinionated fans and media outlets to match.  You need thick skin to play here and many players just aren't built for this town, plain and simple.  They would rather play in a city where there's only one or two beat writers and the fans politely clap when their favorite player drops a game winning pass.  NY is a fishbowl, but man, if you win HERE, there is NOTHING that matches it anywhere else. 

I want players with the guts to come here and dare to be great.  Wimps need not apply.  Barr was a wimp.  Good riddance. 

Says who ?   I think Tom Brady begs to differ.  I think Troy Aikman, Deon Sanders, Ben the Rapist, AB, John Elway, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis and just so many others beg to differ. 

That line that NYC is the best and winning something there is somehow better than winning somewhere else is just plain baloney. The only people who believe that live there. I'm a NY sports fan so I want people to come, but my logical side knows the truth. We have money.  That's our allure right now. As long as we under stand that, it's fine.  If we can't get people to take it, we are in trouble. There is no other reason to come here at the moment. 

31 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I agree but you could not pay me enough to live in Minneapolis or the Midwest or Buffalo any place that is too cold. I live in Atlanta  born in NYC lived there for a bit when I got out of the Army in the village (born int he Bronx and raised in Ft Lauderdale)

People need to be built for certain areas I get it. I dont see the humor though for saying he felt sick signing with the Jets unless there is another context for it. If I owned the Jets I would get to the bottom of that statement and correct the cause

Archived