The NFL has a major problem on its hands with Free Agency

WayneChrebet80

The “legal tampering” period offers more proof as to why the franchise tag needs to go. 

Bad teams are forced to overpay for players who aren’t that great and great players are watching mediocre players cash in on major guaranteed $$$ while they are forced to play on a one year contract. 

Tell me how the franchise tag is good for owners again? Isn’t it a salary cap sport? All removing the franchise tag will do is restructure things so that players get paid commeserate to their talent. 

The franchise tag’s primary benefit is that it keeps the franchise QB from skipping town. Teams can control them for an extra year or two giving them the opportunity to come to terms.  It’s why the real superstar qbs like manning, Brady, brees, and Rodgers stay with one team most of their career. 

1 hour ago, docdhc said:

The franchise tag’s primary benefit is that it keeps the franchise QB from skipping town. Teams can control them for an extra year or two giving them the opportunity to come to terms.  It’s why the real superstar qbs like manning, Brady, brees, and Rodgers stay with one team most of their career. 

League needs to compensate the player with additional years of service to make up for the guy who gets hosed by no long term contract. I do not know if this already exists but I would think any player who gets the tag should automatically be qualified for a bump in years of service. The player is looking for stability as well as $$$ and it seems like a fair compromise, as they would already be vested (believe it is three years) and then it is based on years of service.     

2 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The “legal tampering” period offers more proof as to why the franchise tag needs to go. 

Bad teams are forced to overpay for players who aren’t that great and great players are watching mediocre players cash in on major guaranteed $$$ while they are forced to play on a one year contract. 

Tell me how the franchise tag is good for owners again? Isn’t it a salary cap sport? All removing the franchise tag will do is restructure things so that players get paid commeserate to their talent. 

Yes, it must be truly difficult to get paid the average of the top 5 paid players at your position.  I weep for them, I really do.

2 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

It sucks because the Jets are one of those teams.  But objectively, I agree with it completely.  Bad teams SHOULD have to pay a penalty of overpaying for years of bad drafting and poor roster/Cap management.  In reality, it's a charity that the NFL allows it to happen.  If you draft crap players, if you don't develop guys and if you mismanage your salary cap then you should suffer with lots of losses.  Good teams who drafted well.....or too well....can't keep the fruits of all their labor because of the Cap.  THEY are the ones FORCED to let good guys walk and the beneficiaries are sh!tty teams who don't know what they're doing but they have lots of money.

It's not perfect.......but I think it works.

Archived