Le'Veon Bell signs with Jets

FO-Ti

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t want to look it up, but didn’t the Steelers deal give him $30mm guaranteed over the first two years? Because he just signed for $35 over 3. LeBitcoin Bell

Steelers guarenteed him $10 mil signing bonus. That's it as the rest weren't guarenteed for injury. If he were on the roster at a certain calender date in year two then the contract triggered for his base salary to become guaranteed for that season. 

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

#ThxForPlaying

According to NFL.com, the Steelers made one final offer to Bell on Monday, just hours before the NFL's 4 p.m. ET deadline for teams to negotiate a new contract with their franchise player. The offer from the Steelers was worth a total of $70 million over five years (or $14 million per season). Although the offer would have given Bell the largest multi-year contract of any running back in the NFL, he turned it down, and one reason he likely did that, is because it was nowhere near his asking price, which was reportedly in the neighborhood of $17 million per season.

One other reason Bell might have turned the deal down is because it apparently wasn't loaded with any substantial guarantees. According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the contract included $33 million in guaranteed money, which was going to be paid out over the first two years. Rapoport also noted that the first three years of the deal would pay out $45 million (or $15 million per season), but didn't note if all of that money was guaranteed. As for the final two years of the deal, it seems that Bell had no guaranteed money. Of course, none of this matters now, since Bell didn't take the offer. 

that’s complete BS, but you go ahead and believe whatever you need to do your pathetic little whining routine 

Turned 27 in February, you could say he is in his prime and is another good locker room guy. With Mosley and Adams and now Bell that’s a good situation to have.

My only concern is the Jets OL is not very experienced so there could be some growing pains considering how patient Bell is at the LOS...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I live in an ascendant metropolis going through the growing pains of aggressive gentrification. 

You must be a campaign volunteer for the mayor's office.

On 2/3/2019 at 8:20 PM, T0mShane said:

Jut conducted an informal poll of Brennan’s Shebeen in Black Rock, Ct and the white chicks are loving this halftime show but literally everyone else is in deep psychic pain 

On 2/3/2019 at 8:27 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

You live in Bridgeport?

On 2/3/2019 at 8:33 PM, T0mShane said:

No comment

7 hours ago, RVAJet815 said:

Fair. I want to see how he handles his Paradis fiasco. He’s going to have to get creative now.

"His" Paradis fiasco??  It would have had the potential to be as you described had not Maccagnan not preemptively  tendered Harrison to an extension.  That was his insurance policy, in the event that the free agent center pursuit did not work out. For whatever reason, turns out Macc was right.  Harrison is not elite as a short term center option, but he showed last year that he was capable. 

Paradis did not want to be here.  That much is now clear.  The Jets were not as impressed with him as you need to be to make the kind of commitment in terms of cap money and years to make it a match.  That also seems to be the case. He got a less than premium market contract. More evidence that the Jets did not mess this up. Morse got a record contract for a center.  Good for him.

The Jets did their due diligence and for one reason or another did not come away with one of these players.  It happens.  It is not a fiasco.  A fiasco is going into a season without a firm starter at the quarterback position, and being held up by a Stop-gap player, because your Dunderhead Coach names him the starter, without him even being under contract. That  is a fiasco.

The Jets will find a  capable Center.  Every negotiation doesn't end in a signing.  So far we've handled free agency as well as any team in the league.  There is something to be said for that.

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

#ThxForPlaying

According to NFL.com, the Steelers made one final offer to Bell on Monday, just hours before the NFL's 4 p.m. ET deadline for teams to negotiate a new contract with their franchise player. The offer from the Steelers was worth a total of $70 million over five years (or $14 million per season). Although the offer would have given Bell the largest multi-year contract of any running back in the NFL, he turned it down, and one reason he likely did that, is because it was nowhere near his asking price, which was reportedly in the neighborhood of $17 million per season.

One other reason Bell might have turned the deal down is because it apparently wasn't loaded with any substantial guarantees. According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the contract included $33 million in guaranteed money, which was going to be paid out over the first two years. Rapoport also noted that the first three years of the deal would pay out $45 million (or $15 million per season), but didn't note if all of that money was guaranteed. As for the final two years of the deal, it seems that Bell had no guaranteed money. Of course, none of this matters now, since Bell didn't take the offer. 

The Steelers had an out in their contract offer after year 1 bc of the rolling guarantees. That was the issue. 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/7/18/17585956/leveon-bell-contract-steelers-offer-guaranteed-money-free-agency

1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Paradis did not want to be here.  That much is now clear.  The Jets were not as impressed with him

in pure football terms Gase values hugeness on the OLine. Like KO our new LG or Jesse Davis (look him up). Matt Paradis to the Jets never really made sense from what this new coach wants out of his linemen 

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

in pure football terms Gase values hugeness on the OLine. Like KO our new LG or Jesse Davis (look him up). Matt Paradis to the Jets never really made sense from what this new coach wants out of his linemen 

Paradis wanted to live in the country... He stated as much multiple times... He never wanted to be here regardless of what the Jets offered or didn't... He didn't want a big city... can we move on.

On the record:

I was against this signing.  I think he's too old, and too used up, and potentially too selfish, for this kind of contract for our team.

I think he is very much the "prototypical" Jets RB signing, i.e. sign someone else's former great in the later years of their career, and milk the last (materially lesser) value out of them while overpaying for their "name" and past.

This will be his 7th year since coming into the NFL.  He has 1,229 carries and 312 receptions in six seasons played.  That's alot of abuse under the bridge already.  Generally a RB with this much already done is starting or in the middle of the down side of their career.

The Jets O-Line is not close to as good as those Pitts O-Lines he ran behind, our WR's aren't anywhere as good, and (at least today) our QB isn't remotely as good as Big Ben.  So Bell will be under a ton more pressure than he was in Pittsburgh, defenses will scheme to stop him here.

And he took a year off, and didn't play.  Is he in shape?  Is he motivated, now that he got his payday?  I don't know.

I hope my cynicism is unfounded, that he shows up ready, in shape, dedicated, and healthy, and performs up to his resume for the length of this pricey contract.  If so, he will be a huge help to Darnold and our offense.

So I'm a doubter, as usual, but I will be excited to see if I am proven wrong.

8 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

He has the best vision and jump steps into and through the hole better than any back in the NFL.  His legs never stop moving, and he has exceptional balance.  Beyond that he is the best pass catching running back in the league.  No one is close.  We are in for a treat.  I'm sold.

Saquon might debate that but, he isn't the best he is top two.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

They both Keyshawn’d themselves and while I don’t have $35 milly, I still have this big ol’ dick.

On a bedstand in a felt bag, does not count.  You know, I was trying to think of a single player or acquisition, made by this franchise, that you had a positive thing to say about or liked.  I couldn't come up with one.  And it wasn't because I don't read your posts.  I do.  Some are funny.  Many are sad.  None of them are positive.  Maybe you should change your name to TOmShame.  Just a thought.

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

On the record:

I was against this signing.  I think he's too old, and too used up, and potentially too selfish, for this kind of contract for our team.

I think he is very much the "prototypical" Jets RB signing, i.e. sign someone else's former great in the later years of their career, and milk the last (materially lesser) value out of them while overpaying for their "name" and past.

This will be his 7th year since coming into the NFL.  He has 1,229 carries and 312 receptions in six seasons played.  That's alot of abuse under the bridge already.  Generally a RB with this much already done is starting or in the middle of the down side of their career.

The Jets O-Line is not close to as good as those Pitts O-Lines he ran behind, our WR's aren't anywhere as good, and (at least today) our QB isn't remotely as good as Big Ben.  So Bell will be under a ton more pressure than he was in Pittsburgh, defenses will scheme to stop him here.

And he took a year off, and didn't play.  Is he in shape?  Is he motivated, now that he got his payday?  I don't know.

I hope my cynicism is unfounded, that he shows up ready, in shape, dedicated, and healthy, and performs up to his resume for the length of this pricey contract.  If so, he will be a huge help to Darnold and our offense.

So I'm a doubter, as usual, but I will be excited to see if I am proven wrong.

None of this is untrue. but the former great thing is modestly pushing it. Very well could be true, but he has not shown any signs of slowing down. That moniker would fit LT much neater when we brought him in back in the day. Yet I do  think the year off is the biggest threat to him coming in and starting strong, but nothing we have seen from him in Pittsburgh supports that. I honestly don't know. I'm hoping he makes Sam and everyone else better around him because he will force teams to plan for him. We will see my friend, we will see.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Le'Veon is now our best RB and WR. 

This pretty much frees us up to stick and pick at 3 if we'd like to.  Get a pass rusher at 3 and a Center in the 3rd/4th round. 

It does but damn trading back and picking up a couple plug in rookie O lineman would almost be too nice!

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Le'Veon is now our best RB and WR. 

This pretty much frees us up to stick and pick at 3 if we'd like to.  Get a pass rusher at 3 and a Center in the 3rd/4th round. 

Man I would love a trade down scenario. Trade down a little for a 1st and 2nd. Trade half way down round one for two firsts (Giants we are looking at you).

Would love to get two starters on day one.

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Man I would love a trade down scenario. Trade down a little for a 1st and 2nd. Trade half way down round one for two firsts (Giants we are looking at you).

Would love to get two starters on day one. 

Oh for sure.  I just thought before today that we simply HAD to find a trade-down partner so we could utilize those extra picks on a WR and O-Line help.  With Bell, that becomes less necessary.  We have flexibility now. 

Bell, Q, Crowder, Robbie Anderson, Herndon....that's fine as it is in terms of weapons for Darnold.  Beachum, Osemele, Winters on the O-line looks pretty good too. 

Now we just need a Center who can snap the ball properly and occasionally block a little, and a RT stopgap. 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Wow! 

Look at the other names on that list. Holy f*ck. 

A reminder.... Most yards from scrimmage per game in NFL history, minimum 50 games played: 1. Le’Veon Bell: 129.0 2. Jim Brown: 125.5 3. Billy Sims: 119.6 4. Barry Sanders: 118.9 5. Terrell Davis: 113.9

None of those other players were nearly the receiver that LeVeon Bell is, so that skews the numbers a bit.  Nonetheless, it is indeed an impressive group, and how he generates those numbers, rushing or receiving really doesn't matter.  This is a big time acquisition.

Archived