Le'Veon Bell signs with Jets

FO-Ti

4 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Sure. At this point it's certainly worth a shot to try to fleece Gettleman LOL

Per the silly value chart, 3 for 6 and 37 comes pretty close

Yeah.  If we can't get both 6 and 17, I'd at least try to get 6, 37, and maybe a 2020 2nd or 3rd rounder out of them. 

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

A reminder.... Most yards from scrimmage per game in NFL history, minimum 50 games played: 1. Le’Veon Bell: 129.0 2. Jim Brown: 125.5 3. Billy Sims: 119.6 4. Barry Sanders: 118.9 5. Terrell Davis: 113.9 

None of those other players was nearly the receiver that LeVeon Bell is, so that skews the numbers a bit.  Nonetheless, it is indeed an impressive group, and how he generates those numbers, rushing or receiving really doesn't matter.  This is a big time acquisition. 

Yep.  And the way the game has shifted, he's more valuable as a receiver than runner.  It's great if he can get you 4 or 5 yards on the ground on 1st & 10.  It's even better if he can move the chains on 3rd & 6+ via the air. 

Calling all arms! RT, LT and C. Get it done Macc or this will limit Bell’s potential. Even great runners need a viable OL to succeed. Right now our OL is very questionable. Trade, draft, FA....we must make the OL formidable. Hi Ho!

The two things that really excite about Bell are:

1) He doesn't necessarily have elite speed or athleticism. He relies on vision and insane patience. I think those attributes will help him age well. 

2) He's such a good receiver and basically the perfect security blanket for a young QB. 

Given the price that we got him at, it's just a hard move to nitpick. 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

The two things that really excite about Bell are:

1) He doesn't necessarily have elite speed or athleticism. He relies on vision and insane patience. I think those attributes will help him age well. 

2) He's such a good receiver and basically the perfect security blanket for a young QB. 

Given the price that we got him at, it's just a hard move to nitpick. 

I was very opposed to the Bell signing mostly because I thought it would dwarf the Gurley contract and have tons of opportunity cost, but we are paying him less than the franchise tender so its a solid deal. Lots of interesting things about Bell:

1. Will he play with a chip on his shoulder or will he lose his drive because he got paid?

2. Will the full year off without rehabbing an injury make him fresher and faster? Will it extend his career? 

Wait, pump the breaks a little. TThis s not exactly year two for these players being on the same team. Give them a chance to play together. 

That’s what training camp and the preseason are for. When you put a team with some talent on the field, the expectations get higher. I know as a Jets fan that’s not something we are used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

That’s what training camp and the preseason are for. When you put a team with some talent on the field, the expectations get higher. I know as a Jets fan that’s not something we are used to.

Sent from my iPhone using 

This isn't  the NBA where you can bring in James and Bosh and win right away, there are a lot of moving parts that need to work together. I will say I like our chances of making some noise next season. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This isn't  the NBA where you can bring in James and Bosh and win right away, there are a lot of moving parts that need to work together. I will say I like our chances of making some noise next season. 

Playing  together as a unit for a period of time is obviously beneficial, but assuming Bell is his old self, he immediately makes Darnold and the offense a lot better, and it should show in the end result fairly quickly I think.  Let's face it, it's not going to be that difficult to top our annual 5 wins.  Assuming Mac doesn't completely whiff during the rest of free agency and in the draft, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect this team to make a little noise THIS season and be in contention for a playoff spot deep into the season, and then with a little more tweaking to the roster, make some real noise in 2020. 

In any case, for the first time in a long time, I'm optimistic going into the beginning of the season.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

On the record:

I was against this signing.  I think he's too old, and too used up, and potentially too selfish, for this kind of contract for our team.

I think he is very much the "prototypical" Jets RB signing, i.e. sign someone else's former great in the later years of their career, and milk the last (materially lesser) value out of them while overpaying for their "name" and past.

This will be his 7th year since coming into the NFL.  He has 1,229 carries and 312 receptions in six seasons played.  That's alot of abuse under the bridge already.  Generally a RB with this much already done is starting or in the middle of the down side of their career.

The Jets O-Line is not close to as good as those Pitts O-Lines he ran behind, our WR's aren't anywhere as good, and (at least today) our QB isn't remotely as good as Big Ben.  So Bell will be under a ton more pressure than he was in Pittsburgh, defenses will scheme to stop him here.

And he took a year off, and didn't play.  Is he in shape?  Is he motivated, now that he got his payday?  I don't know.

I hope my cynicism is unfounded, that he shows up ready, in shape, dedicated, and healthy, and performs up to his resume for the length of this pricey contract.  If so, he will be a huge help to Darnold and our offense.

So I'm a doubter, as usual, but I will be excited to see if I am proven wrong.

On the record, I am the exact opposite when it comes to Le'Veon Bell.  I hate fraud agency.   But Bell is the guy I have felt all along was the MUST have.

I don't know if you have seen my counter to the "too much mileage" knock on him yet... so I will fire away just in case.   @Paradisdoesn't fully buy it, despite being the smart guy that he is ;) ... but it might be the best case going out there.

I have watched Bell a lot going back to Michigan State.   Only Spartan and Steeler fans could claim more games of his on me.

Bell protects his body.  He does not get beat up on many of his touches like so many RBs because of his style.  He runs only to daylight.   If he sees it right away, he quickly hits the hole.  If nothing there, he slides until something shows itself.  No plowing into 300 lb defensive linemen.  And he doesn't lose yardage often either because he moves laterally, not backwards.  

When he gets through the LOS, he slashes like Curtis used to.   Slashers have longer shelf lives because defenders don't get to "square them up" and put the big hit on them.  Bell also doesn't lower his shoulder to run over guys that often.  He will on a rare occasion to make a point if he is charged up, but not recklessly.  He prefers that wicked stiff arm he throws.  This is not Eddie George who was done by age 28 because he ran like a truck.  

The last thing is Bell steps out of bounds when he is tight to the sideline.  He isn't going to take an unnecessary shot to gain an extra foot.

I tell people his mileage are Florida highway miles... not rust belt city miles.

He is all kinds of savvy on the field...  before the snap, behind the LOS, and at the 2nd level.  

I am floating today because he is a NY Jet.   And not the Pennywise kinda floating.  The cloud-9 kind.

5 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

On the record, I am the exact opposite when it comes to Le'Veon Bell.  I hate fraud agency.   But Bell is the guy I have felt all along was the MUST have.

I don't know if you have seen my counter to the "too much mileage" knock on him yet... so I will fire away just in case.   @Paradisdoesn't fully buy it, despite being the smart guy that he is ;) ... but it might be the best case going out there.

I have watched Bell a lot going back to Michigan State.   Only Spartan and Steeler fans could claim more games of his on me.

Bell protects his body.  He does not get beat up on many of his touches like so many RBs because of his style.  He runs only to daylight.   If he sees it right away, he quickly hits the hole.  If nothing there, he slides until something shows itself.  No plowing into 300 lb defensive linemen.  And he doesn't lose yardage often either because he moves laterally, not backwards.  

When he gets through the LOS, he slashes like Curtis used to.   Slashers have longer shelf lives because defenders don't get to "square them up" and put the big hit on them.  Bell also doesn't lower his shoulder to run over guys that often.  He will on a rare occasion to make a point if he is charged up, but not recklessly.  This is not Eddie George who was done by age 28 because he ran like a truck.  

The last thing is Bell steps out of bounds when he is tight to the sideline.  He isn't going to take an unnecessary shot to gain an extra foot.

I tell people his mileage are Florida highway miles... not rust belt city miles.

He is all kinds of savvy on the field...  before the snap, behind the LOS, and at the 2nd level.  

I am floating today because he is a NY Jet.   And not the Pennywise kinda floating.  The cloud-9 kind.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Just watch the tape. It is just so obvious on every play. Also, uses the "straight arm" brilliantly. It is really something to watch.

Archived