Le'Veon Bell signs with Jets

FO-Ti

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

On the record:

I was against this signing.  I think he's too old, and too used up, and potentially too selfish, for this kind of contract for our team.

I think he is very much the "prototypical" Jets RB signing, i.e. sign someone else's former great in the later years of their career, and milk the last (materially lesser) value out of them while overpaying for their "name" and past.

This will be his 7th year since coming into the NFL.  He has 1,229 carries and 312 receptions in six seasons played.  That's alot of abuse under the bridge already.  Generally a RB with this much already done is starting or in the middle of the down side of their career.

The Jets O-Line is not close to as good as those Pitts O-Lines he ran behind, our WR's aren't anywhere as good, and (at least today) our QB isn't remotely as good as Big Ben.  So Bell will be under a ton more pressure than he was in Pittsburgh, defenses will scheme to stop him here.

And he took a year off, and didn't play.  Is he in shape?  Is he motivated, now that he got his payday?  I don't know.

I hope my cynicism is unfounded, that he shows up ready, in shape, dedicated, and healthy, and performs up to his resume for the length of this pricey contract.  If so, he will be a huge help to Darnold and our offense.

So I'm a doubter, as usual, but I will be excited to see if I am proven wrong.

I agree 100% I think this guy ends up gone in 2 years and doesnt finish out his contract in NY I do like the fact that Mac is taking the chance and got him for a bargain.  I been saying the same thing about the OL just look at John Connor he isn't supposed to be as good as Bell and he racked up better numbers. I was in the Tevin Coleman camp and go after the best Center, Guard and LT on the market  to protect Darnold and draft another RB. If Bell does play well you have a 2 to 3 year window before he really starts declining so I think by the time the Jets are remotely close to contending Bell will be gone or cut.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

On the record, I am the exact opposite when it comes to Le'Veon Bell.  I hate fraud agency.   But Bell is the guy I have felt all along was the MUST have.

I don't know if you have seen my counter to the "too much mileage" knock on him yet... so I will fire away just in case.   @Paradisdoesn't fully buy it, despite being the smart guy that he is ;) ... but it might be the best case going out there.

I have watched Bell a lot going back to Michigan State.   Only Spartan and Steeler fans could claim more games of his on me.

Bell protects his body.  He does not get beat up on many of his touches like so many RBs because of his style.  He runs only to daylight.   If he sees it right away, he quickly hits the hole.  If nothing there, he slides until something shows itself.  No plowing into 300 lb defensive linemen.  And he doesn't lose yardage often either because he moves laterally, not backwards.  

When he gets through the LOS, he slashes like Curtis used to.   Slashers have longer shelf lives because defenders don't get to "square them up" and put the big hit on them.  Bell also doesn't lower his shoulder to run over guys that often.  He will on a rare occasion to make a point if he is charged up, but not recklessly.  He prefers that wicked stiff arm he throws.  This is not Eddie George who was done by age 28 because he ran like a truck.  

The last thing is Bell steps out of bounds when he is tight to the sideline.  He isn't going to take an unnecessary shot to gain an extra foot.

I tell people his mileage are Florida highway miles... not rust belt city miles.

He is all kinds of savvy on the field...  before the snap, behind the LOS, and at the 2nd level.  

I am floating today because he is a NY Jet.   And not the Pennywise kinda floating.  The cloud-9 kind.

Excellent Post. His running style is exactly why He’s been my fav back in the league for a while now...you could argue he’s a trendsetter to an extent as a lot of younger backs try to emulate his stutter go patient running style...not interested in wearing him out past 30 but he will age like fine wine..

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

On the record, I am the exact opposite when it comes to Le'Veon Bell.  I hate fraud agency.   But Bell is the guy I have felt all along was the MUST have.

I don't know if you have seen my counter to the "too much mileage" knock on him yet... so I will fire away just in case.   @Paradisdoesn't fully buy it, despite being the smart guy that he is ;) ... but it might be the best case going out there.

I have watched Bell a lot going back to Michigan State.   Only Spartan and Steeler fans could claim more games of his on me.

Bell protects his body.  He does not get beat up on many of his touches like so many RBs because of his style.  He runs only to daylight.   If he sees it right away, he quickly hits the hole.  If nothing there, he slides until something shows itself.  No plowing into 300 lb defensive linemen.  And he doesn't lose yardage often either because he moves laterally, not backwards.  

When he gets through the LOS, he slashes like Curtis used to.   Slashers have longer shelf lives because defenders don't get to "square them up" and put the big hit on them.  Bell also doesn't lower his shoulder to run over guys that often.  He will on a rare occasion to make a point if he is charged up, but not recklessly.  He prefers that wicked stiff arm he throws.  This is not Eddie George who was done by age 28 because he ran like a truck.  

The last thing is Bell steps out of bounds when he is tight to the sideline.  He isn't going to take an unnecessary shot to gain an extra foot.

I tell people his mileage are Florida highway miles... not rust belt city miles.

He is all kinds of savvy on the field...  before the snap, behind the LOS, and at the 2nd level.  

I am floating today because he is a NY Jet.   And not the Pennywise kinda floating.  The cloud-9 kind.

Appreciate your thoughtful reply, and I'm happy that you are so happy.  I would like to feel the same, but I just don't yet.  

I'm hopeful when we see him playing games I get what you have now, that "wow, we got a great player, just look at him run!" thing.  I really do hope thats the case.  And I freely admit, there is every chance he WILL be great here.  

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

The two things that really excite about Bell are:

1) He doesn't necessarily have elite speed or athleticism. He relies on vision and insane patience. I think those attributes will help him age well. 

2) He's such a good receiver and basically the perfect security blanket for a young QB. 

Given the price that we got him at, it's just a hard move to nitpick. 

he has fine speed. what he doesn't have is that final gear. he has vry good quickness through the hole and great vision to see the hole.....he's just not very likely to score an 80 yd td

1 hour ago, nyjets1969 said:

I agree 100% I think this guy ends up gone in 2 years and doesnt finish out his contract in NY I do like the fact that Mac is taking the chance and got him for a bargain.  I been saying the same thing about the OL just look at John Connor he isn't supposed to be as good as Bell and he racked up better numbers. I was in the Tevin Coleman camp and go after the best Center, Guard and LT on the market  to protect Darnold and draft another RB. If Bell does play well you have a 2 to 3 year window before he really starts declining so I think by the time the Jets are remotely close to contending Bell will be gone or cut.

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

On the record:

I was against this signing.  I think he's too old, and too used up, and potentially too selfish, for this kind of contract for our team.

I think he is very much the "prototypical" Jets RB signing, i.e. sign someone else's former great in the later years of their career, and milk the last (materially lesser) value out of them while overpaying for their "name" and past.

This will be his 7th year since coming into the NFL.  He has 1,229 carries and 312 receptions in six seasons played.  That's alot of abuse under the bridge already.  Generally a RB with this much already done is starting or in the middle of the down side of their career.

The Jets O-Line is not close to as good as those Pitts O-Lines he ran behind, our WR's aren't anywhere as good, and (at least today) our QB isn't remotely as good as Big Ben.  So Bell will be under a ton more pressure than he was in Pittsburgh, defenses will scheme to stop him here.

And he took a year off, and didn't play.  Is he in shape?  Is he motivated, now that he got his payday?  I don't know.

I hope my cynicism is unfounded, that he shows up ready, in shape, dedicated, and healthy, and performs up to his resume for the length of this pricey contract.  If so, he will be a huge help to Darnold and our offense.

So I'm a doubter, as usual, but I will be excited to see if I am proven wrong.

I fully agree with both of you

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I'm happy for you that you got your guy. It rarely happens, for any of us.

I had my reasons why he wasn't "priority 1", but that's irrelevant now. He's a jet, and i don't do buyers remorse. It's on to the next chapter. 

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

he has fine speed. what he doesn't have is that final gear. he has vry good quickness through the hole and great vision to see the hole.....he's just not very likely to score an 80 yd td

Don’t need 80 yard runs. We need 4-6 yards every time he touches the ball. 

24 minutes ago, jgb said:

Lol is that your personal pet name for him I never heard it

Parcells phrased the nickname for Martin (Boy Wonder) when he played with the Pats. 

http://www.espn.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7520484/ex-new-york-jets-curtis-martin-bill-parcells-meet-again-canton

http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130730&content_id=55254692&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb

10 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

His draft failures have cost him over $135 million dollars in Mosley and Bell alone.  Ignoring RB and whiffing on Lee cost him big time.  He just spent all that money on an ILB and a RB.  Nice players, but they still aren’t edge rushers or LTs.  

To be fair Bell and Mosely are elite top 5 at their respective positions 

Yes Mac has overall sucked at drafting but even if Lee was good and McGuire was better than he is signing Mosely and Bell to upgrade would still make sense

52 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Great speech—I’m amused to be reminded how Martin was attacked on here for admitting his great loves in life are not Football. Exhibit 65 why Jets fans don’t deserve nice things.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Great speech—I’m amused to be reminded how Martin was attacked on here for admitting his great loves in life are not Football. Exhibit 65 why Jets fans don’t deserve nice things.

Word! Asinine to refute his stance. He’s his own man and is entitled to his feelings and beliefs. Best speech ever! Love how his pastor told him football could be the vehicle for him to achieve the loftier aspirations he envisioned. Didn’t know he one day wants to own a team! Wow!

You guys understand that this has always been a 2 year player for us and that’s ok right? It’s about giving Darnold a safety blanket/weapon now so he can develop properly. It buys us two years to find other players to fill the offense....

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

You guys understand that this has always been a 2 year player for us and that’s ok right? It’s about giving Darnold a safety blanket/weapon now so he can develop properly. It buys us two years to find other players to fill the offense....

This 100%. Not sure a "bridge RB" is a thing, but we can use the time we have with Bell to upgrade the OL, WR positions, let Sam develop, then plug in a younger RB (easier position to "plug and play") without taking a huge step back.

$28M fully guaranteed is a lot of money to pay for 2 years of production.  Still a nice pickup and somewhat reasonable contract compared to what he was rumored to be looking for, but still.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

$28M fully guaranteed is a lot of money to pay for 2 years of production.  Still a nice pickup and somewhat reasonable contract compared to what he was rumored to be looking for, but still.

The benefit of a QB on a rookie deal... 

Probably will see out his 4 year contract

I think Bell will be here at least 3 years. You guys are so negative, is it risky? Sure. This isn't even close to the Tomlinson, CJ, or even Thomas Jones signings. Bell is better than 2 of them in their primes and the other was clearly not the same player he was when we signed him in the first place. Bell is the best RB we've had since Curtis Martin and could be the greatest RB we've ever had. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

8.5 million cap hit for 2019? With that kind of savings I foresee Macc offering around a couple of 1 year prove it deals to really good players. Suh? Ansah? Sitton? 

Sitton should be cheap, older interior OL coming off a big injury. Agree on the premise though, Bell deal keeps getting better.

Archived