Mike Maccagnan Appreciation Thread.

southtown24th

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I read he fell on Bell nobody wanted Bell at his current price tag Jets were the highest offer and the only offer. The other teams were waiting for his price to drop. He was forced to take the Jets deal or wait and end up playing for a lot less. Mac is stupid you have a gaping hole at center and the 4 years he was here he never drafted one. He clearly had to overpay for the other players no he deserves no credit. If he knew how to draft the Jets wouldn't have to overpay for free agents and they be using that money to resign players. Mac sucks cant draft past the top 5.

36 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Well he just spent $160 million dollars on an ILBer, RB and slot receiver.  Is that good? 

Yes it is. Mosley is probably the best inside linebacker in the NFL outside of Kuechly. I know he's expensive but that was the only way the Jets could get him out of Baltimore. Mosley said he wasn't  leaving the Ravens unless the money was much higher. Crowder is a little over payed. He is a great character guy, look at him and his brother. The deal is also structured so the Jets ca get out after 2 years. Now Bell was a great deal. He's a dynamic back that can get extra yards where there are non. Getting him for 13 million a year is a no-brainer. I've been very critical of Mac. In the past I know he's blew through cap space but he's improved his contracts. I think he learned from the Tru deal. 

Macc's picks sucked worse than Bowles' coaching.

Nothing Todd Bowles did in his entire Jets career, even letting Spencer Long play with a broken finger, was as dumb as picking Christian Hackenberg in round 2 

has he improved? Maybe. But he shouldn't have gotten the chance. The Jets kept him because there's zero football knowledge among the owners and they didn't want to hire Booz Allen or whoever to search for another Macc. 

and on a fundamental level, the owner (REAL OWNER) is checked out, living in another country.

the only football games Woody watches have the word Manchester in them 

16 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Got to appreciate what the man has done.

I'm no Macc hater, but lets be real here. With all the "great moves so far" are we better then a 6-7 win team next year? I don't think so.

It is now 4+ years in on his GM career. Hard to praise him for where we are, which is eons behind AFC teams like the Pats, Chargers, and young teams like the Chiefs, Browns, etc. We're still plugging away with the likes of Buffalo, Oakland and Miami, trying to get where Baltimore, the Colts, Steelers and other Wild Card contenders are.

Until further notice, we're still on the bottom looking up, so lets calm down with the Macc is doing great stuff.

31 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Macc's picks sucked worse than Bowles' coaching.

Nothing Todd Bowles did in his entire Jets career, even letting Spencer Long play with a broken finger, was as dumb as picking Christian Hackenberg in round 2

See, I disagree here. Dumber than selecting Hackenberg was the idea of passing on 2 Pro Bowl quarterbacks for a safety one year later because he still had faith in him.

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm no Macc hater, but lets be real here. With all the "great moves so far" are we better then a 6-7 win team next year? I don't think so.

It is now 4+ years in on his GM career. Hard to praise him for where we are, which is eons behind AFC teams like the Pats, Chargers, and young teams like the Chiefs, Browns, etc. We're still plugging away with the likes of Buffalo, Oakland and Miami, trying to get where Baltimore, the Colts, Steelers and other Wild Card contenders are.

Until further notice, we're still on the bottom looking up, so lets calm down with the Macc is doing great stuff.

Good afternoon,  ARE YOU NUTS?????  The free agent haul, plus the anticipated  draft, in addition to the development of Sam, and a real coaching staff, makes this easily a .500 team.  Have you looked at the schedule??  You link us to Miami?  Buffalo?  Oakland? The Steelers are in disarray and in a downward spiral. Baltimore has been decimated by free agency.  The Chargers weren't looking too good in the playoffs, Phil Rivers isn't aging like a Drew Brees, in my opinon.   Don't play the "devil's advocate" card like the rest of the Jackalopes  on this board.  You are much better than that.  Today is not the day for the "Same old Macc" crap.  He's had as good a last few days as anyone, and that includes Dorsey.

33 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Good afternoon,  ARE YOU NUTS?????  The free agent haul, plus the anticipated  draft, in addition to the development of Sam, and a real coaching staff, makes this easily a .500 team.  Have you looked at the schedule??  You link us to Miami?  Buffalo?  Oakland? The Steelers are in disarray and in a downward spiral. Baltimore has been decimated by free agency.  The Chargers weren't looking too good in the playoffs, Phil Rivers isn't aging like a Drew Brees, in my opinon.   Don't play the "devil's advocate" card like the rest of the Jackalopes  on this board.  You are much better than that.  Today is not the day for the "Same old Macc" crap.  He's had as good a last few days as anyone, and that includes Dorsey.

LOL. You think we're better then Oakland, Buffalo? You can't act like we're the only team who will improve in the draft this year. Oakland has AB now, 5 1st round picks in the next two years and a much more talented roster already. Miami might be tanking this year, but they'll still probably beat us once this year. So will Buffalo, who I think has done exactly what we hoped to do with our OL this offseason. Splitting with them will actually be a improvement for us off last year unfortunately. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy with whats been done so far in FA this year, I think we would've done even better if it wasn't for Barr and the Vikings sabotaging us from getting one of the edge guys we need.

My point is we're still nowhere near being a contender. I'll concede the chance to be a .500 team, but not that we'll "easily be one." There are still way too many holes on this roster, and like it or not, that's due to 4 years of bad drafting by this man. Two days won't fix it. I get the excitement, we've gotten better, but its important to remember how inept we were. I know you put a lot of it on Bowles and his CS, and I do too, but the talent just isn't there yet to contend, I'll also stick with my point that we're eons behind the likes of KC and Cleveland, New England SD, etc in the AFC right now.

So for now, consider me happy with what we've done, but realistic about where we are, and still need to do.

Yeah, I mean, when could handing out massive contracts to players ever not work out for Maccagnan?

After all, I just saw Trumaine Johnson tweet out how he was sure his new teammates would all earn their big paydays.  It was even liked by Revis, Cromartie, Skrine, Wilkerson....... well, I think you all get the point.

38 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Oh, and serious question, when has a team "winning" free agency ever actually turned out well for that team?  We've seen it time and time again, GMs can't simply buy their way out of their own incompetence.

You wanna hug it out, bro?

Get over here you big galoot.

2 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Anyone else around here not TOTALLY hate Macc?

I'm not pleased with his body of work, but I'm interested to see how he drafts with Gase and Williams instead of Bowles and Rodgers. If I was the GM, I would want to draft guys that fit the scheme of the coaches. If he doesn't come up with a minimum of a B draft, it's time to say good bye to Macc. 

28 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

LOL. You think we're better then Oakland, Buffalo? You can't act like we're the only team who will improve in the draft this year. Oakland has AB now, 5 1st round picks in the next two years and a much more talented roster already. Miami might be tanking this year, but they'll still probably beat us once this year. So will Buffalo, who I think has done exactly what we hoped to do with our OL this offseason. Splitting with them will actually be a improvement for us off last year unfortunately. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy with whats been done so far in FA this year, I think we would've done even better if it wasn't for Barr and the Vikings sabotaging us from getting one of the edge guys we need.

My point is we're still nowhere near being a contender. I'll concede the chance to be a .500 team, but not that we'll "easily be one." There are still way too many holes on this roster, and like it or not, that's due to 4 years of bad drafting by this man. Two days won't fix it. I get the excitement, we've gotten better, but its important to remember how inept we were. I know you put a lot of it on Bowles and his CS, and I do too, but the talent just isn't there yet to contend, I'll also stick with my point that we're eons behind the likes of KC and Cleveland, New England SD, etc in the AFC right now.

So for now, consider me happy with what we've done, but realistic about where we are, and still need to do.

We are absolutely better than both Oakland and Buffalo.  Tell me more about  Oakland's talent.  I am curious. That "talent" sucked last year.  Let's see who the Raiders draft and how they turn out, before you cream your trousers about the 5 first rounders. They also have blown through their cap space in pretty  short order and have some high priced "iffy" jewels amongst their recent acquisitions.

The Bills, despite their recent offensive line additions, are still a disaster.  They always will be. Miami will suck for at least the next three years, bank it.   We sweep both of those teams this year, if not win at least three.

The "holes" are filling in nicely.  Reserve judgement until after the draft, and the rest of free agency. Kansas City may have peaked this year.  They are cap strapped, thanks to your lord and savior Dorsey.  Can Mahomes have a better year next year than this past season?  Perhaps, slightly, but as for the rest of the roster, no.  The Defense which wasn't great last year likely will be worse.  The Chargers are a year older, and not any better. They are also cap strapped. and treading water, at best.  I wasn't extremely impressed with Rivers performance down the stretch and in the playoffs, he seemed to fade a bit.  May have been my imagination, but surely time is not on his side.

As for the Patriocheats, every year is a new chance for the anticipated "Reckoning".  I know they have a ton of draft picks, but you know drafting hasn't always been their forte, and the "core" is aging, no matter what people say.  The juggernaut they became in the playoffs was a surprise to me and many.  Seemed like a perfect storm.  "Boy, I hate those guys."  The Browns are an unhatched egg.  Great on paper.  Let's see it on the field.  The Vikings have been paper champions, for years now.  How has that been served?

Stop with the obsessive realism.  This isn't the stock market.  It's sports.  Enjoy the ride.  You give every other team the benefit of the doubt.  How about trying it with your Jets. Don't be the parent who heaps praise on every kid in the neighborhood , and beats his own child for being less than perfect.

3 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Don't be the parent who heaps praise on every kid in the neighborhood , and beats his own child for being less than perfect.

On the other hand, you don't need to be the parent with a kid who flunks every single class, and your sole response is to blame the teachers/school.

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

On the other hand, you don't need to be the parent with a kid who flunks every single class, and your sole response is to blame the teachers/school.

That's ridiculous.  If you follow my posts you know that I criticize Maccagnan plenty.  You have acknowledged many in the past.  Just seems like you have a stick up your ass about the GM.  It must hurt.  Take it out, you'll feel better.  Criticizing every move that the Jets make,as some knee jerk Pavlovian response, is transparent and cheap.  You're better than that.  Some aren't.  If you truly "bleed green", I'm sure you get it,  I hope so.  He hasn't flunked every single class.  Some, sure, at times, many.  This year? NO.

13 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

We are absolutely better than both Oakland and Buffalo.  Tell me more about  Oakland's talent.  I am curious. That "talent" sucked last year.  Let's see who the Raiders draft and how they turn out, before you cream your trousers about the 5 first rounders. They also have blown through their cap space in pretty  short order and have some high priced "iffy" jewels amongst their recent acquisitions.

The Bills, despite their recent offensive line additions, are still a disaster.  They always will be. Miami will suck for at least the next three years, bank it.   We sweep both of those teams this year, if not win at least three.

The "holes" are filling in nicely.  Reserve judgement until after the draft, and the rest of free agency. Kansas City may have peaked this year.  They are cap strapped, thanks to your lord and savior Dorsey.  Can Mahomes have a better year next year than this past season?  Perhaps, slightly, but as for the rest of the roster, no.  The Defense which wasn't great last year likely will be worse.  The Chargers are a year older, and not any better. They are also cap strapped. and treading water, at best.  I wasn't extremely impressed with Rivers performance down the stretch and in the playoffs, he seemed to fade a bit.  May have been my imagination, but surely time is not on his side.

As for the Patriocheats, every year is a new chance for the anticipated "Reckoning".  I know they have a ton of draft picks, but you know drafting hasn't always been their forte, and the "core" is aging, no matter what people say.  The juggernaut they became in the playoffs was a surprise to me and many.  Seemed like a perfect storm.  "Boy, I hate those guys."  The Browns are an unhatched egg.  Great on paper.  Let's see it on the field.  The Vikings have been paper champions, for years now.  How has that been served?

Stop with the obsessive realism.  This isn't the stock market.  It's sports.  Enjoy the ride.  You give every other team the benefit of the doubt.  How about trying it with your Jets. Don't be the parent who heaps praise on every kid in the neighborhood , and beats his own child for being less than perfect.

After 50+ years of coddling this kid, its about time he grew up. Its time for me to give him a kick in the ass, tell him to get the hell out of my basement and get himself a job. 

Or at least a wild card berth! LOL.

1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

That's ridiculous.  If you follow my posts you know that I criticize Maccagnan plenty.  You have acknowledged many in the past.  Just seems like you have a stick up your ass about the GM.  It must hurt.  Take it out, you'll feel better.  Criticizing every move that the Jets make,as some knee jerk Pavlovian response, is transparent and cheap.  You're better than that.  Some aren't.  If you truly "bleed green", I'm sure you get it,  I hope so.  He hasn't flunked every single class.  Some, sure, at times, many.  This year? NO.

Except your argument is based on completely flawed logic that everyone should give Maccagnan the benefit of the doubt, assuming the moves made now will ultimately be successful, for no other reason than because you personally like them.  There is absolutely no evidence yet available to suggest that this supposed success will come true, and his entire history to date has shown quite the opposite to be the more likely outcome.  When someone's been fully incompetent for as long as Maccagnan has been, there is no reason to start giving praise long before it's actually shown to be deserved.

8 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Except your argument is based on completely flawed logic that everyone should give Maccagnan the benefit of the doubt, assuming the moves made now will ultimately be successful, for no other reason than because you personally like them.  There is absolutely no evidence yet available to suggest that this supposed success will come true, and his entire history to date has shown quite the opposite to be the more likely outcome.  When someone's been fully incompetent for as long as Maccagnan has been, there is no reason to start giving praise long before it's actually shown to be deserved.

Are you for real??  The moves made now are good based on the successes of these players at other stops in the league. I "personally" like them only because they will help the Jets.  I didn't want Bell here, I've maintained that position in a million threads.  The fact that I acknowledge that he was a good acquisition based on the price, skill level, and circumstance, had nothing to do with an affection for this player.  He was a  Steeler for G-d's sakes.  I also thought he was a fool, in regards to his stance with the franchise tag, and a bad team mate for sitting out last year. Still he is a game changing running back, who was acquired for a very reasonable cost, and will be a big contributor as a ball carrier and receiver.  That's what I like.

Moseley was a Raven, I hate them too.  He is also a perennial all pro middle linebacker, who is young and widely regarded as the best in football. For those reasons, I welcome him as a Jet.  Crowder was not my first choice either.  I wanted Humphries.  I reviewed his numbers in addition to my familiarity with him as a member of the Redskins, another team I hate.  He is also a superior punt returner.  The fact that the Jets will not be retaining Roberts should tell you that this was also part of the reason behind his choice, and part of the plan.  I too welcome him as a Jet

Osemele was a Raider.  I hate them more than the Ravens and as much as the Steelers. No personal attachment there.  Also not my first thought.  I actually was in favor of signing Saffold in free agency.  The trade for Osmele turns out to be a better option for the Jets, in my opinion.  He's under contract for two more years, at a reasonable cap number, is younger than Saffold, and was a sure thing since he came in a trade, and not as a "gun for hire" to be wooed on the open market. He has also been recognized as one of the premier left guards in the league.  For these reasons, I welcome him as a Jet.

Your logic is flawed in that you base  Mike Maccagnan's success or failure as a GM solely on the success of the team on the field. You, as a long time fan know that  Coaching, play calling, schedule, competition and a myriad of other factors outside of his control determine the won and loss record of the team. The fact that you refuse to acknowledge the quality and caliber of these newest Jets tells me that you aren't using your logic or reason for your response, both to my post and the recent successes of the Jets in the latest free agency period. It is logical to infer that better players will produce better results.  These players are obviously better than those they replaced.  With good coaching there is every expectation they will produce better results.

I have given you a case by case reason as to why I think these players were good acquisitions, made by Maccagnan and the Jets, and why I feel they will undoubtedly  help the team moving forward. I don't base my opinions on any predisposed notions or judgements.  You have not refuted my argument with any "evidence", other than "history" and your own entrenched judgements. Your "judgement" as to why I  applaud these signings is also flawed.  You should really reconsider. No offense.

I posted this in the other dead thread.   Let me put it here.

Macc has been mostly bad.

I've said it in the other thread that we've been screwed by having an endless parade of rookie GM's, that make rookie GM moves, and then we fire them, for new incompetent rookie GM's.  It's an endless circle jerk.

I just want the parade to stop and see if we can train an executive to be competent.  (Yes, I believe GM's get better at GM'ing with experience.)

What's past is done  When faced with the choice of retaining today's version of Macc, or get another rookie GM, I say retain him.

His recent moves have been better - Sheldon, Anderson, Darnold, Herndon, Bell.  I think he is improving.  Time will tell but we already know what the result of another new rookie GM will be - bad.

47 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Your logic is flawed in that you base  Mike Maccagnan's success or failure as a GM solely on the success of the team on the field. You, as a long time fan know that  Coaching, play calling, schedule, competition and a myriad of other factors outside of his control determine the won and loss record of the team.

Why did these stupid teachers make my poor innocent child fail?!?

The rest of your argument is baselessly assuming that new players with past success elsewhere are certain to live up to the very hefty prices paid from them.  To that, Trumaine Johnson says hi.  He's accompanied by the long list of every other high priced FA signed in Maccagnan's time here.

Maccagnan can get credit for these moves when they've actually been proven to be successful, a reality that in over 4 years and (unfortunately) counting has yet to exist.

16 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Why did these stupid teachers make my poor innocent child fail?!?

The rest of your argument is baselessly assuming that new players with past success elsewhere are certain to live up to the very hefty prices paid from them.  To that, Trumaine Johnson says hi.  He's accompanied by the long list of every other high priced FA signed in Maccagnan's time here.

Maccagnan can get credit for these moves when they've actually been proven to be successful, a reality that in over 4 years and (unfortunately) counting has yet to exist.

We'll see how Trumaine Johnson performs this year in a real defense, with a real coaching staff. You keep parroting the same tired argument that is typical of posters who either can't use statistics and proof to support their position, or are too lazy to try. 

First it was the  "sitting on the cap money argument". Next it was "overpay for the free agent talent, regardless of the cost mantra".  Now it has morphed into the "hefty prices" argument.  Even in the face of the below market cost of signing LeVeon Bell.

Nowhere have you cited a single statistic or done a comparison of a similar player, to support your argument that these players are overpriced, You don't compare or contrast them to other free agents on the market, or present any empirical data that would support your argument.  Instead you prattle on with your weak generalities and assumptions.  Weak.

The truth is obvious.  No matter what happens with this team, or GM, you and the "Chicken Little Brigade", will never be satisfied.  I assume nothing.  I expect these new players to be better. Haters gotta Hate.  Good luck with that.  I'm done.

5 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

We'll see how Trumaine Johnson performs this year in a real defense, with a real coaching staff. You keep parroting the same tired argument that is typical of posters who either can't use statistics and proof to support their position, or are too lazy to try. 

First it was the  "sitting on the cap money argument". Next it was "overpay for the free agent talent, regardless of the cost mantra".  Now it has morphed into the "hefty prices" argument.  Even in the face of the below market cost of signing LeVeon Bell.

Nowhere have you cited a single statistic or done a comparison of a similar player, to support your argument that these players are overpriced, You don't compare or contrast them to other free agents on the market, or present any empirical data that would support your argument.  Instead you prattle on with your weak generalities and assumptions.  Weak.

The truth is obvious.  No matter what happens with this team, or GM, you and the "Chicken Little Brigade", will never be satisfied.  I assume nothing.  I expect these new players to be better. Haters gotta Hate.  Good luck with that.  I'm done.

(not done obv)

31 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Once again, your entire argument is blaming someone else for Maccagnan's failures.

And if you think me of all people doesn't use statistics, then you clearly lack any reading comprehension whatsoever.

So is it only the same argument or changing arguments?  You seem to be having quite the argument with yourself right here.

They have yet to prove they are worth their price, because they quite literally have not had an opportunity to.  Your assertion that they definitely are their huge price tags is without merit.  Meanwhile, every other high-cost FA signing Maccagnan has made prior to this offseason has proven to be over-priced.  You are entire argument is assuming that a 4 year trend will change, with nothing provided to support that conclusion.

So you assume nothing other than those things you immediately admit to assume?  That....... makes sense???

Archived