RB Depth

British Jet

Crowell is likely going to be cut (will save 3m in cap this year, 5m next). Powell is a FA and won't be resigned. Coleman will command good money and won't be an option. 

Depth chart will be Bell/McGuire/[draft pick or Cannon]. Likely the only other FA RB they bring in will be a camp body

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Crowell is likely going to be cut (will save 3m in cap this year, 5m next). Powell is a FA and won't be resigned. Coleman will command good money and won't be an option. 

Depth chart will be Bell/McGuire/[draft pick or Cannon]. Likely the only other FA RB they bring in will be a camp body

For only 3Mil in savings, I'd rather they keep him as the backup.  Fully comfortable with Bell-Crowell-Mcguire going into the season.   

2 hours ago, British Jet said:

So Bell, Crowell, Powell, McGuire, Cannon.

How does it play out in 2019?

Got to be honest, I'd still like to see Tevin Coleman come in and back up Bell. Bin off Crowell. Do we say goodbye to Powell?

Powell is not on the team, is he?

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They need to draft someone to groom. Neither of the JAGs behind Bell can carry the weight if he goes down or holds out or needs a breather. 

Can't help but think we draft a RB next year. This year will be Edge or OL unless we get extra picks from somewhere.

I wouldn't have a problem with re-signing Powell as long as he is healthy. This is assuming that Crowell is a goner which he should be. Never liked the signing and don't think he is anything special.
Crowell ... Was BY FAR out best back last year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Bell, Crowell, Henderson, McGuire is fine.  No need for Cannon, wasted roster spot. 

I would like to find a way to draft Trayveon Williams from Texas A&M,  would be a really nice compliment to Bell and having both on the field at the same time could be dangerous.  

21 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They need to draft someone to groom. Neither of the JAGs behind Bell can carry the weight if he goes down or holds out or needs a breather. 

You don't really draft RBs to groom for 3 years. RBs are at the best in years 1-3 out of college.We can certainly draft 1 late to compete as backup and hopefully catch lightning in a bottle, but if Bell is your 3 down back, there is little reason to invest much draft capital in that position. 

Would much prefer to take a swing or 2 or 3 on OL depth. 

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Cannon is shaping into a great special teamer. I think our depth chart will be Bell, McGuire, Cannon, a RB named Henderson.

Agreed. Cro will be cut and we will take our chances with our current crop of RBs and MAYBE take a flier in the 6-7 round or an undrafted FA with some upside. 

9 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I wouldn't have a problem with re-signing Powell as long as he is healthy. This is assuming that Crowell is a goner which he should be. Never liked the signing and don't think he is anything special.

Agreed. Would prefer Powell, having Crowell coming to give Bell a breather would make the offense very predictable. Maybe even draft a RB after round 3.

2 hours ago, heymangold said:

Bell was signed to have 300 touches. Back ups in McGuire and Henderson are sufficent.  Someone can be picked up in case of injury

Yes McGuire and Henderson are sufficent back-ups.  The problem is, what happens when they're forced into starting?  You need to plan for your RB to miss 2 games in a lucky year.  We need someone who can hold the fort, and I don't see the sense in cutting Crowell to save a measly 3 Million this year.  

6 minutes ago, F00tballGuy69 said:

Yes McGuire and Henderson are sufficent back-ups.  The problem is, what happens when they're forced into starting?  You need to plan for your RB to miss 2 games in a lucky year.  We need someone who can hold the fort, and I don't see the sense in cutting Crowell to save a measly 3 Million this year.  

I've always liked Crowell. I hope we keep him. Let's see what he can do with an improved O line.

30 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You don't really draft RBs to groom for 3 years. RBs are at the best in years 1-3 out of college.We can certainly draft 1 late to compete as backup and hopefully catch lightning in a bottle, but if Bell is your 3 down back, there is little reason to invest much draft capital in that position. 

Would much prefer to take a swing or 2 or 3 on OL depth. 

They can do both. And I don’t trust that Bell will stay healthy or stay out of trouble. They have slacked so much on OL and RB in terms of hitting on draft picks or even using them that they are still in need. Macc needs to hit it out of the park this draft or not even Le’Veon Bell will save him. 

54 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Agreed ... But the other two JAGs are more expendable ... And I like them both. They simply are not elite.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Okay but the other 2 JAGs could be of use in other areas. Crowell is JAG who makes more money and is replaceable as well. No one is going to lose sleep over losing any of these guys IMO.

Archived