Stephen Gostkowski

Skeptable

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The Jets shouldn’t spend $4+ million a year on any kicker.

Not Myers, not Gostkowski, nobody.

It’s easy as hell to find a solid place kicker for cheap.

Again, the Jets are still flush with cash... but after all the years of terrible kickers and how they cost teams games... why wouldn't you want the best in the league?

Can the Jets pry this guy from the Pats... he has been as good as them come... I know, I know, there are so many other needs... but it would be a sneaky steal from the Pats and give a super reliable FG kicker.
Our place kicker went to the freaking pro bowl ... Wtf ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

I wouldn't mind the signing but K is last priority right now. Mac should be on the phone with Houstons agent before we even look at a kicker

maybe but it would be interesting to steal him while everyone elses attention is focused away.

Just now, Skeptable said:

Again, the Jets are still flush with cash... but after all the years of terrible kickers and how they cost teams games... why wouldn't you want the best in the league?

When has this ever been a huge issue for the Jets?

Even Doug Brien was a good, reliable placekicker until those two late game misses against Pittsburgh in the playoffs 15 years ago. Like I said, how can you really prepare for that? That kind of thing can happen to the best of PK’s. It’s a fickle position.

Even Gostkowski missed a couple of chip shots against the Eagles in the Super Bowl the other year.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

When has this ever been a huge issue for the Jets?

Even Doug Brien was a good, reliable placekicker until those two late game misses against Pittsburgh in the playoffs 15 years ago. Like I said, how can you really prepare for that? That kind of thing can happen to the best of PK’s. It’s a fickle position.

Even Gostkowski missed a couple of chip shots against the Eagles in the Super Bowl the other year.

Ok, just a thought... 

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

So you really think Myers is better and more reliable then Gostkowski?

Myers was like a Kree super-soldier from 50+ yards last season.  I expect every kicker to hit inside the 50.  Having one who can reliably hit from outside the 50 is rare.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Or just resign Myers if he'll take a reasonable deal.  Why mess with one of the few things that worked really well last year.

He went to the Probowl is going to be looking for a top tier contract... probably in the same range as what Gost wants... I would rather have Gost... but ok I get it... non-premium position that has a tendency to win or lose games throughout the season and yes, the Jets haven't had any problems in recent years because they paid top dollar for Folk, and then had Catanzaro who was trash and lucked into myers after 2 bad seasons at JAX

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Myers was like a Kree super-soldier from 50+ yards last season.  I expect every kicker to hit inside the 50.  Having one who can reliably hit from outside the 50 is rare.

Myers was terrible at JAX... then he was good for a season with the Jets... he is going to command Top dollar.

7 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Myers was pretty unreliable until this season. And Gostowski has had some bad years. Kickers are pretty inconsistent from year-to-year. I'd say that should be a low priority.

Gost had the extra point yips for a bit... but he has been NE's rock at kicker for years.

17 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Can the Jets pry this guy from the Pats... he has been as good as them come... I know, I know, there are so many other needs... but it would be a sneaky steal from the Pats and give a super reliable FG kicker.

He (along with Brady and Belichick) are the keys to the Patriots’s sustained success. 

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He (along with Brady and Belichick) are the keys to the Patriots’s sustained success. 

LOL, The sarcasm is oozing out of every letter you type... but in reality the Pats have had 2 FG kickers in almost 20 years.

So you really think Myers is better and more reliable then Gostkowski?
He's amazing ... Why the **** would be spend time or money for something we don't need at all... Spend it on OL period.

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

He's amazing ... Why the **** would be spend time or money for something we don't need at all... Spend it on OL period.

What OL that is still available will eat up the Jets Cap?? There are some replaceable OL pieces left but none that would require large amounts of money. Spending on OL wouldn't cut into this

I get it with Kickers.  We've had luck several seasons in a row picking up a random FA.  But something about Myers that feels different is his accuracy from long range.  He was 6-7 from 50+ and I think most of those were 55+.  That's pretty much unprecedented.  Maybe he reverts to mean next year and maybe he has found the secret sauce, but until that becomes a more common thing, I'd rather roll the dice with the guy you feel comfortable taking a game-winning shot from 52 yards with.  

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I get it with Kickers.  We've had luck several seasons in a row picking up a random FA.  But something about Myers that feels different is his accuracy from long range.  He was 6-7 from 50+ and I think most of those were 55+.  That's pretty much unprecedented.  Maybe he reverts to mean next year and maybe he has found the secret sauce, but until that becomes a more common thing, I'd rather roll the dice with the guy you feel comfortable taking a game-winning shot from 52 yards with.  

Plus he fits into the all under 30yo team that the jets are building. Ok fair enough... maybe something changed and he is going to be great for a long time... 

27 minutes ago, LinemanCT said:

Just ask Chicago

Cody Parkey had been a pro-bowler in the past.

And like I said, Gostkowski missed an extra point and a chip shot FG against the Eagles in the Super Bowl the other year.

None of these guys are completely automatic and I wouldn’t pay any of them $4-6 million a year.

Archived