Report: Jets have reached out to Justin Houston (and possibly C John Sullivan)

jetscrazey

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Yes on Houston, big no to Sullivan. Doubt at this stage he's better than Harrison.

Need some depth at the position.  Right now, Harrison is the only Center on the roster.  Bring in either Sullivan/Wisniewski to compete with Harrison for the starting job.  Let Harrison win the job rather than be handed it.  And if we can draft a Center -- add that guy to the competition.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Understood but there’s a reason the Jets have added Mosely for HUGE dollars when they already have two starting ILBs (regardless of what we think about Lee) and why they pursued Barr AND why they resigned Henry (don’t call me Harry!) Anderson.  The Jets predominant scheme looks to be 3-4.  Agree 100% that defenses are now “multiple” and line up in everything from 4-3 to even 2-5, but I think the Jets want Leo and Anderson at DE.  If they draft Bosa it’s because they’re confident they can stand him up for a significant percentage of the time.  JMHO.

Fair point. One thing of note, though, is that a defense that is gaining more and more popularity is the "Tite" front. Think a stack 3-3-5 with the OLBs apexed (so pretty much a 3-2 defense). 

It's a 3-shade-3 front, so both "edges" are interior rushers, with the PSILB sealing the edge on the playside, and the BSOLB getting cutback. 

This allows you to give the appearance of a lightened box, while still being able to have a 9-man front and good pass defense. On passing downs, most Tite front teams will have their 3 techniques read the pass, and force their way into the C gap rush lane.

Now, another thing they often do is move one of the 3's into a 5, creating almost an Okie front, except the outside linebacker is simply further removed from the box. What this allows you to do is have someone like Leo get in his natural 3 technique position, but not have to worry about sealing the edge, while allowing Bosa to be in his natural 5 technique position. 

I'm not high on the CJ signing, but in a Tite front, the run fits and pass responsibilities work out so that he could be purely a box player, and a damn good one. 

And you wouldn't have to change much. The Tite front is the ancestor of the 3-4. Easy to install, easy to adjust, and very versatile. Only thing I'd do if we got Bosa was I'd sign another safety/backer hybrid for the front side OLB (don't have a lot of faith in Jenkins in coverage).

Leo-McClendon(Anderson?)-Bosa

Lee-Mosely-Williamson-OLB/Safety Hybrid

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

Need some depth at the position.  Right now, Harrison is the only Center on the roster.  Bring in either Sullivan/Wisniewski to compete with Harrison for the starting job.  Let Harrison win the job rather than be handed it.  And if we can draft a Center -- add that guy to the competition.

If we do that, he's probably the starter.

43 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I watch every snap of every offensive lineman weeks 1-17 for a writing job. it's not just reading his age on a website (although that does help) He's done. 

side note another way of saying what you guys just said is

despite being part of the LA Rams #3 and #5 whatever attack they didn't want John Sullivan back 

so who should the jets sign at center?

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I watch every snap of every offensive lineman weeks 1-17 for a writing job. it's not just reading his age on a website (although that does help) He's done. 

side note another way of saying what you guys just said is

despite being part of the LA Rams #3 and #5 whatever attack they didn't want John Sullivan back 

What do you think the Jets should do at center? Wisniewski, draft?

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I am all in on Justin Houston. Edge rushers like him age well. Cam Wake was getting double digit sacks at 35. JJ Watt/Von Miller at 29 were great last year. Houston is just 30. 

Getting him would give the Jets the flexibility to trade out of the #3 pick

That's what I think Jets want to do.  I'd love Bosa or Q. They'd be perennial Pro Bowl difference makers.

But if a team badly wants to move up for Bosa or a QB, and make a juicy enough offer...Jets are gonna take it. Bring in more talent and depth for a playoff push this season.

My 1a/1b choices are:

1a) Bosa or Allen.  Hope we got a dominant pass rusher for the next 10 years.  Figure out the OL for this year and fix it as priority #1 (tied with WR) next year.

1b) Trade down and get Jawaan Taylor and the best C available with our next pick.  Quick fix for the OLine and deal with Edge/WR in FA or as next year's priorities.  

We should be able to make some noise this year, but I think it's a 2-year plan and I want to fix as much of it as we can now so it's easier next year to finish the job.  

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

People carry baggage of Dewayne Robertson and think that the position isn't as important as an edge rusher. This guy isn't good, he is a beast. A game changer. You can be a game changer from the inside, just ask the Rams. 

Personally, I rank Allen/Bosa/Williams about the same. All 3 should be great. After that the draft takes a BIG drop off. Not that those other guys can't be great or even better than Allen/Bosa/Williams, it's just those 3 have very little chance of being busts and have very high chances of being pro bowlers. 

They need to trade back and get a bunch of guys who can contribute and start in a year or two. The guys we're signing now will not be on the team once we have to pay Darnold. They need to add quality players in the draft at many positions. That's how you keep restocking your team without free agency.

2 minutes ago, tdoublee said:

Can he still play 16+ games at center at a decent level? Or would he be a depth signing at this point?

he was always better as a guard but "decent" yes... better than Sullivan at least and better than Long probably too 

Let's be honest it's going to be Travis Swanson they are just waiting for the right price 

14 minutes ago, choon328 said:

They need to trade back and get a bunch of guys who can contribute and start in a year or two. The guys we're signing now will not be on the team once we have to pay Darnold. They need to add quality players in the draft at many positions. That's how you keep restocking your team without free agency.

I tend to agree, but if you think Bosa/Williams/Allen are locks to be great it will be tough to pass on them. 

Plus I don't love where we sit to trade back. If the Cards take Murray then they are likely trading Rosen to another team that need a QB (Skins/Giants) who then won't be looking to trade up. 

Then you have the problem of a team trading up preferring to go to 2 as opposed to 3. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

To be clear I'd be thrilled with either it would be a great problem to have 

but I take Williams over Bosa and it's because of Durability 

both bosa bros are like sportscars always in the shop. but again I'd be super psyched if the Jets took Bosa at 3.

If kyler goes 1 this could all set up nicely. 

that is my concern also about Bosa.  QW pushes lineman around.  He would be stepping on Brady's toes early and often

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I tend to agree, but if you think Bosa/Williams/Allen are locks to be great it will be tough to pass on them. 

Plus I don't love where we sit to trade back. If the Cards take Murray then they are likely trading Rosen to another team that need a QB (Skins/Giants) who then won't be looking to trade up. 

Then you have the problem of a team trading up preferring to go to 2 as opposed to 3. 

I think we’re ok. 9ers just gave big money to Ford, i think they’re leaning more towards QWill now. Very possible that we luck into the option of bosa, Allen, or trade back 

14 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Every snap of every offensive lineman in the league for the entire season? Sounds like a young Gase. 

Adam Gase is like 3 months older than me 

since 2013 I write for a website called footballguys.com, grading and regrading the OL every week of the preseason and regular season

it's not much but it's honest work 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Adam Gase is like 3 months older than me 

since 2013 I write for a website called footballguys.com, grading and regrading the OL every week of the preseason and regular season

it's not much but it's honest work 

There are many things that I chide Bitonti for, because he can take. But not his evaluations of o-linemen. He knows his stuff there.

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

1 player may be great but in reality if that 1 player isn't a QB his impact on games is very limited. I don't think with the current roster the way it is that the Jets have the luxury of believing that 1 possible great player will put them over the top. 

My ultimate goal would be to trade down a couple of times into the high teens/low 20's and draft the best Center or Guard available. With those moves maybe they pick up 2 additional 2nd round picks in 2019. They can really address the offensive line and set themselves up for the next 5-10 years. It's basically what the Colts did last year.

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Unless some QB desperate team wants to blow the Jets away for our pick, Its a no brainer to stay right where they are. With  the niners getting Ford, theres a very good chance they go with Williams. That leaves Bosa and Allen to pick from. I would personally go with Bosa, but I would be ecstatic with either one.

31 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

If we don't land Houston, hopefully the 49ers do. Can't imagine them drafting an EDGE guy after nabbing both Ford and Houston. Houston to the 49ers would put both Bosa and Allen in our lap most likely.

The 49ers seem to share the Jets obsession with the front 7.

I am wondering what they are up to.  I am thinking that they think they have alot of holes, and if they have Ford and perhaps others they trade their pick to someone who wants an EDGE or QB, which is what a top 2 pick is for.  

11 minutes ago, jack48 said:

that is my concern also about Bosa.  QW pushes lineman around.  He would be stepping on Brady's toes early and often

Look at the recent history.

When have IDL been drafted top 5 in the last 10 years.  It is not often.

QBs and EDGE dominate the discussion.  

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

The 49ers seem to share the Jets obsession with the front 7.

I am wondering what they are up to.  I am thinking that they think they have alot of holes, and if they have Ford and perhaps others they trade their pick to someone who wants an EDGE or QB, which is what a top 2 pick is for.  

Think it'd have a lot to do with Murray and whether or not the Cardinals actually take him, if not, gotta imagine they'll field calls. 

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Look at the recent history.

When have IDL been drafted top 5 in the last 10 years.  It is not often.

QBs and EDGE dominate the discussion.  

But I agree with B that inside pressure beats the best QBs

27 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Q and Bosa would be very very hard to pass on. 

Personally...I hope they take either one over a trade down that just equals the value chart. 

IMO the offer should  blow away the value charts.  It should be one they simply can't refuse...to justify passing on those two. 

And Q...is my first choice and preference.

12 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

yeah where is our center and guard? are they thinking draft in 3rd round? 

There are a few centers that are worth looking at early (earlier than usual) in the draft.  A few of these players may be available in the 3rd round.

Garrett Bradbury, Elgton Jenkins, Erik McCoy, Michael Jordan.  Chris Lindstrom is a guard that could also be an early starter.

Archived