Where do the Giants go from here?

WayneChrebet80

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Giants are rebuilding.  They have a ton of picks and will get a qb in this draft.  Future is bright for the Gints.

They also have 24 million in dead money due to trading Vernon and OBJ this year and some next year as well.

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Smart move would be to try to wait for Haskins at #6 or, as a backup, get Rosen cheap (3rd rounder, maybe 2nd).  I can't imagine them going into this season without a young QB who is a true heir-apparent to Eli.  Anything else would be malpractice by Gettleman. 

In a way, they are close to needing to pull a Gruden and blow it all up, only they have a $35MM dead cap problem this year that will really slow things down.  That means they are probably 2-3 seasons away from being able to put a contender on the field, and by that time, Barkley will be nearing the end of his rookie deal.  It's not pretty.

I saw last night that going into next offseason, they will have $120 mil in cap space when Eli and OBJ come off the books. With the 12 picks this year, I don't think it will take them long to turn things around, but who knows? It certainly helps that they don't play in a division with any "super teams."

somebody might want to tell giants gm-when you do a rebuild you build around young stars you dont get rid of them and you dont keep a washed out qb on your roster

the giants are on the hook for money as well with obj-trading him after that contact was a brutal move if you are a giants fan

17 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I think they keep Eli, give him a farewell tour , plus with Eli as qb they could even get number 1 overall next yr draft. At least top 3. Why would they want to do what Mac did 2 years ago?  Had plan to rebuild and do a soft tank, but backfired by signing McCown who had a surprisingly good yr. if we stuck with Pety and hackenberg, we get darnold at 3 plus keep our 3 2nd rounders 

Correction.......if with stuck with Petty and Hack we get him at 1?

20 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I saw last night that going into next offseason, they will have $120 mil in cap space when Eli and OBJ come off the books. With the 12 picks this year, I don't think it will take them long to turn things around, but who knows? It certainly helps that they don't play in a division with any "super teams."

The problem is they won't be the only team with gobs of cash.  DAL looks to have over $120MM as well in 2020 and half the league will have at least half that amount.  As we can see from this year, FA isn't a way to fix all your problems at once.  You can patch some holes and get a few stars, but it has limits.  And it's very, very rare that a team can fix it's QB problem in FA (or by trade).  That's why I think their best bet is to get the QB now and give him a year to season while they then attack the large list of other problems.  

23 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The problem is they won't be the only team with gobs of cash.  DAL looks to have over $120MM as well in 2020 and half the league will have at least half that amount.  As we can see from this year, FA isn't a way to fix all your problems at once.  You can patch some holes and get a few stars, but it has limits.  And it's very, very rare that a team can fix it's QB problem in FA (or by trade).  That's why I think their best bet is to get the QB now and give him a year to season while they then attack the large list of other problems.  

Totally agree. I think they need to move on from Eli, and decide between Rosen, Murray, Haskins, even Lock. Pick one, get him however you can then move into their "new era."

Worst case, keep Eli one more season, but get the replacement now so he's ready mid '19 season or by '20. Personally I'd go Rosen. I think he's still better then anyone coming out this year.

5 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Waiting for Tua Tagovailoa and Trevor Lawrence....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trevor Lawrence will be the best qb prospect since Luck. I think he would’ve been in the conversation for #1 this year as a 19 year old.

he does have 2 more seasons of college left before he can come out. Tough sell to a fan base, “don’t worry, we’ll have our guy in 3 years!”

In the next two years, several more teams will be hunting for a new QB.  TB almost certainly.  CIN and TEN maybe.  DEN probably.  SD, PIT, NO and NE likely.  DET and ATL maybe.  MIA and WAS if they don't fix it sooner.  DAL may get tired of Dak.  To look around the league today and project being able to get the top QB prospect next year or the year after is insane.  Even deliberate tanking doesn't always guarantee success. 

If TB finishes with the first pick, do you think they'll trade either of those guys away to stick with Winston?  How about MIA or WAS or DEN?  it's one thing when you can project 3 or 4 top guys coming out like last year, but the 'Suck for Luck' approach requires a lot of...luck.  Gettleman is playing with fire if that's what he's thinking he can sell to the fans.

Trevor Lawrence will be the best qb prospect since Luck. I think he would’ve been in the conversation for #1 this year as a 19 year old.

he does have 2 more seasons of college left before he can come out. Tough sell to a fan base, “don’t worry, we’ll have our guy in 3 years!”

I know but unless they strike gold with a mid round QB or trade for Rosen what else is there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived