I still think we need to draft a running back

Barton

Curtis Martin is still a great back, but he has 2 years tops to still play at a high level, for all we know he could hit THE wall in week 8 next season, GOR FORBID.

Derrick Blaylock signed a pretty large deal to be a backup, in length and in money. But he is not a guy that can carry a team into the playoffs like Curtis Martin can. Blaylock is nothing more than a REALLY good #2 back and an excellent emergency starter

THE DRAFT DAY 2

This draft is extremely deep in running back talent. I don't remember last years draft or the 2003 draft being so loaded with running backs!

You can grab a great player like CEDRIC HOUSTON or RYAN MOATS potentially in the 4th rd. 8)

I tell ya what, if the Jets fill their needs in rds 1-3 whatever they may be in the eyes of the bungler terry bradway. My guess, even tho I do not like it, we will probably get a corner in the 1st instead of a Olineman, a SS in the 2nd :) and a TE in the 3rd :lol: , we should definetly take the time now to draft a future starter at running back.

My favorite running back in this years draft is Tennessee's Cedric Houston

5'11 225lbs and runs between a 4.5 and 4.6 :shock:

He did not run at the combines because he was sick, but it will be interesting to see what exactly he runs at his pro day.

He rushed for 1,005 yards at tennessee his final season, with 8 rushing TDs. While that may not seem like alot, he only had 181 carries. He averaged 5.6 YPC. He is also an excellent blocker in pass protection.

But he has been dinged up quite a bit in college, which is why his production is so little in his career. But there is no mistake in seeing all the talent he has, he could be THE steal of all running backs in the draft. 1 site I was visiting put it this way, I really like how they said it

"Houston has day 1 talent, but his production does not match his talents"

chouston.jpgc.jpg (yea, he broke that tackle)

a-houston090702.jpg6.jpg

uky_ten_03.jpg (thats drob right there #63 :D )

cedric_houston_trans.gif

He is like the lamont jordan of the NCAA....a back who never got enough carries for whatever reason to really shine. And he could make for a huge steal, because I think if he had the ammount of carries as cedric benson did the past 2 seasons, that cedric houston would easily be a 1st rd pick, and maybe even top 10.

6th or 7th Round

6' 1" - 220 Pounds ... and one hell of a running back

RB Derrick Wimbush ~ Fort Valley State

derrick_wimbush_fvsu.jpg2005%20act%20wimbush%20derrick.jpg

HULA BOWL Notes {DraftDaddy/Riggo}

RB Derrick Wimbush from tiny Fort Valley State was the West's biggest star Saturday, running for 74 yards on just 4 attempts, with a long TD scamper included

Wimbush also had a terrific week of practice, leading up to the game. He definitely impressed NFL scouts, who love his athletic ability

Could be an ideal Day 2 type pick

More notes from DraftDaddy/Riggo on the Hula Bowl workouts

Despite Tuesday

We have our starter and we have our backup for this year. When the time comes that we will need to draft a RB, we will do it in the first round and take a top tier guy. Until then, this is a wasted discussion.

there is a great chance that this is curtis martins last GREAT season, so in 2006 it might be time to find another starter. Blaylock is not the answer to that.

if you can grab Cedric Houston in the 4th rd, YOU DO NOT PASS ON HIM, period. he could easily be our starter in 1 season if curtis falls apart, god forbid

Drafting a running back now makes sense, so Curtis can groom him into the starter in a year or 2.

and no shane, you cannot lodge a vote for eric shelton IN THE 2nd RD. hellooooo WE HAVE NEEDS WE HAVE NEEEEEEDS!! :shock: :wink:

6th or 7th Round

6' 1" - 220 Pounds ... and one hell of a running back

RB Derrick Wimbush ~ Fort Valley State

derrick_wimbush_fvsu.jpg2005%20act%20wimbush%20derrick.jpghey hammy, is he a better prospect than last seasons 7th rounder derrick ward? you know, the guy who plays for the giants now. :( i still think we should has cut somebody to keep him.

hey hammy, is he a better prospect than last seasons 7th rounder derrick ward? you know, the guy who plays for the giants now. :( i still think we should has cut somebody to keep him.

Wimbush, IMO, has a higher upside than Ward ... this kid could be a massive heist in the 6th or 7th Rd

He's big, quick, nice speed, amazing production, and the most decorated D2 offensive player in the nation

But of course we'll just toss him on the practice squad so some other team can grab him ... like the d**kheads that we are ... so why bother #-o](*,)

I wish I could get a video of cedric houstons runs with tennesse last year so I could silence all doubters here. From what I saw him (thats why I watched tennessee games from time to time), he was AWESOME. he had such a quick burst to get through the hole, and then he would often lower his shoulder on a would be tackler, or just flat out breaking their tackles and running free in the open field.

No.

Derrick Blaylock is a good back-up.

I say we use the Curtis-Blaylock combo for 2 more years.

Then:

In 2007 we package a deal to get up to the #1 spot (unless we are there already) and we take ADRIAN PETERSON, RB, OKLAHOMA...the next Barry Sanders, but better.

I wanted to draft Ryan Moats in the second round, however, that was before Bradway screwed up the entire offseason. We now have NEED positions at defensive tackle, offensive tackle, and tight end. Can't afford a day one pick on a running back.

It really annoys me, because there are so many players past round one that have the potential to be great. Not being handcuffed into drafting needs would have given us a lot of freedom.

I wanted to draft Ryan Moats in the second round, however, that was before Bradway screwed up the entire offseason. We now have NEED positions at defensive tackle, offensive tackle, and tight end. Can't afford a day one pick on a running back.

It really annoys me, because there are so many players past round one that have the potential to be great. Not being handcuffed into drafting needs would have given us a lot of freedom.

not to mention SS is in dire need of an upgrade as is corner.

but lets not forget there is always june 1st cuts to fall back on to UPGRADE a position at, like SS. but we go into the draft with holes at offensive tackle, Strong Safety, Cornerback and defensive tackle, and I will be pretty damn pissed if 3/4 of those holes are not filled. especially offensive tackle, corner and SS. I have a good feeling a good DT will be cut june 1st, whether it be laroi glover or warren sapp, I have faith a good DT will be cut. Now if bradway would wake up and smell the coffee he should fill a HOLE right now by signing andre dyson.

But 4th rd pick is DAY 2 I believe.

not to mention SS is in dire need of an upgrade as is corner.

but lets not forget there is always june 1st cuts to fall back on to UPGRADE a position at, like SS. but we go into the draft with holes at offensive tackle, Strong Safety, Cornerback and defensive tackle, and I will be pretty damn pissed if 3/4 of those holes are not filled. especially offensive tackle, corner and SS. I have a good feeling a good DT will be cut june 1st, whether it be laroi glover or warren sapp, I have faith a good DT will be cut. Now if bradway would wake up and smell the coffee he should fill a HOLE right now by signing andre dyson.

But 4th rd pick is DAY 2 I believe.

Upgrading the cornerback position isn't a NEED. Whenever we actually had a defensive tackle and an offensive tackle, we could salivate about Justin Miller or Carlos Rogers. The reason the Jets were linked to drafting a corner in the first round is because there were so many great corners this year. However, we no longer have the luxury there. Let's see what Derrick Strait can do. There WAS a reason we were jumping for joy when his name was called last year.

In the first, I think we've gotta look for an offensive tackle. In the second, best available tight end or safety. On day two, we can actually begin to take some of the chances I was hoping we'd have been able to start doing in round one.

Upgrading the cornerback position isn't a NEED. Whenever we actually had a defensive tackle and an offensive tackle, we could salivate about Justin Miller or Carlos Rogers. The reason the Jets were linked to drafting a corner in the first round is because there were so many great corners this year. However, we no longer have the luxury there. Let's see what Derrick Strait can do. There WAS a reason we were jumping for joy when his name was called last year.

In the first, I think we've gotta look for an offensive tackle. In the second, best available tight end or safety. On day two, we can actually begin to take some of the chances I was hoping we'd have been able to start doing in round one.

GREAT post troll. I totally forgot about derrick strait! I think he would definetly be a good #2, and an upgrade over donnie abraham. good point

then you can start chris baker filling the TE spot

we definetly need a stud tackle, hopefully Jamaal Brown drops to 26, then we go SS in the 2nd hopefully we could get Shazor. then 3rd rd go BAP with TE, RB or DT

Drafting a RB in the later rounds... like the one Ham got in the mock, that'd be ideal.

While the Jets have many needs, I still cease to see how it's a failure offseason. I mean... I thought resigning Chad, Abe, and Shaun Ellis were the big moves? At least, that's what some people were saying before the season. While I get that you guys want Bradway to bust the bank and sign everyone now, but that seems rash and just plain dumb. Do you want to turn into the Redskins? Or, do you want to be the Patriots? By that I mean, do you want to make big signings, yet be a failure, or build a base and just make the moves that you need to insure sucess and then draft for depth.

While Bradway is an idiot, it's still too early in this offseason to judge him. He might luck out again. To say he screwed up by not breaking the bank for Pace, or Jennings, or KMac, or Fergie is just plain stupid. A champion isn't built overnight. Hell, the draft hasn't even happened yet. If you wanna hang him, wait til after the draft... sheesh!

Man... and because I'm a Michigan fan, I get accused of being on Shazor's jock. Anyway... he'll be gone before the 5th. He'd be a great 3rd. Just cause he had a bad workout doesn't mean he's a bad player. Everything he's done over his 4 years at Michigan still does apply. Everyone puts waaaaaay too much stock into pre draft work outs.

Shazor might be lucky to get drafted day 2 at this point

He has been less than spectacular

Barton, get off his jock

are you trying to tell me he is a bad player because of a stop watch?

come on jonE, shazor is an animal out there on the football field, the 1 thing this team desperatly needs is an enforcer in the secondary, a SS who can play up in the box and lay the smack down on running backs and WRs

Shazor fits the bill perfectly.

storshadow? watch talkin about? I am glad that bradway has not signed or overpaid any FAs.

patsfantx? what can I say, google had alot of really great Cedric Houston pics so I posted em.

I doubt we will find a back of his caliber in the mid rounds in next years draft, he's too good to pass up in the 4th rd for sure, and maybe even the 3rd round.

are you trying to tell me he is a bad player because of a stop watch?

come on jonE, shazor is an animal out there on the football field, the 1 thing this team desperatly needs is an enforcer in the secondary, a SS who can play up in the box and lay the smack down on running backs and WRs

Shazor fits the bill perfectly.

storshadow? watch talkin about? I am glad that bradway has not signed or overpaid any FAs.

patsfantx? what can I say, google had alot of really great Cedric Houston pics so I posted em.

I doubt we will find a back of his caliber in the mid rounds in next years draft, he's too good to pass up in the 4th rd for sure, and maybe even the 3rd round.

didn't I just make that point about Shazor?

Well, what I'm talking about is how everyone goes overboard with nonmoves. Like, why didn't the Jets sign _______? Why wouldn't he want to play here? It's because Bradway and Herm suck! That's just plain assinine.

• 1 month later...
Curtis Martin is still a great back, but he has 2 years tops to still play at a high level, for all we know he could hit THE wall in week 8 next season, GOR FORBID.

Derrick Blaylock signed a pretty large deal to be a backup, in length and in money. But he is not a guy that can carry a team into the playoffs like Curtis Martin can. Blaylock is nothing more than a REALLY good #2 back and an excellent emergency starter

THE DRAFT DAY 2

This draft is extremely deep in running back talent. I don't remember last years draft or the 2003 draft being so loaded with running backs!

You can grab a great player like CEDRIC HOUSTON or RYAN MOATS potentially in the 4th rd. 8)

I tell ya what, if the Jets fill their needs in rds 1-3 whatever they may be in the eyes of the bungler terry bradway. My guess, even tho I do not like it, we will probably get a corner in the 1st instead of a Olineman, a SS in the 2nd :) and a TE in the 3rd :lol: , we should definetly take the time now to draft a future starter at running back.

My favorite running back in this years draft is Tennessee's Cedric Houston

5'11 225lbs and runs between a 4.5 and 4.6 :shock:

He did not run at the combines because he was sick, but it will be interesting to see what exactly he runs at his pro day.

He rushed for 1,005 yards at tennessee his final season, with 8 rushing TDs. While that may not seem like alot, he only had 181 carries. He averaged 5.6 YPC. He is also an excellent blocker in pass protection.

But he has been dinged up quite a bit in college, which is why his production is so little in his career. But there is no mistake in seeing all the talent he has, he could be THE steal of all running backs in the draft. 1 site I was visiting put it this way, I really like how they said it

"Houston has day 1 talent, but his production does not match his talents"

chouston.jpgc.jpg (yea, he broke that tackle)

a-houston090702.jpg6.jpg

uky_ten_03.jpg (thats drob right there #63 :D )

cedric_houston_trans.gif

He is like the lamont jordan of the NCAA....a back who never got enough carries for whatever reason to really shine. And he could make for a huge steal, because I think if he had the ammount of carries as cedric benson did the past 2 seasons, that cedric houston would easily be a 1st rd pick, and maybe even top 10.

BUMP!!!!

BOOOOOYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!! BRAAAAAAAADWAY!!!

CEDRIC HOUSTON!!! IS A STEAL BABY!! :mrgreen:

Shazor might be lucky to get drafted day 2 at this point

He has been less than spectacular

Barton, get off his jock

For crying out loud, JonE finally hit a prediction. =D>

JonE, who was the other guy you said wouldn't get drafted? It was when we were doing the mock draft.

I can't remember.

Archived